Menu

How to know if your KN95 or N95 is fake or legit?

chocolate-chip chooky

I've ordered some KN95s, N95s and P2s, hoping that at least one of them gives each of us a good fit.

I have no idea how to know if any of them are fake though. Any hints on how to tell?

I don't want to think we're upgrading, when we might be better off sticking with what we're using now (level 3 surgical + triple-layer cotton over the top).

KN95s have by far the most bad masks. There is a list somewhere that lists some of the offenders. I know N95s can be checked on 3Ms site to verify authenticity. If N95s are bought from authorized dealers, there should be no problem. It's tending to be Amazon sellers that are selling fake N95s. Bad KN95s are all over though, because the standard is not regulated in the same was as N95 and KF94 (which is why it makes me crazy that the CDC is considering finally recommending better masks, but only saying N95 and KN95).  I don't know anything about P2s.

• Like 4

This isn't going to make you feel better, but there really is no way to know short of doing independent aerosol testing.  

The bad fakes have mis-prints, are missing seals, etc. compared to the normal packaging.  Find the manufacturer and look to see what their normal packaging looks likes.   For 3M masks, you can check lot numbers: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/worker-health-safety-us/3m-safeguard/  

I also check against the approved N95 list: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1-d.html  I haven't had to do this of late, but early in the pandemic, a lot of the manufacturers weren't known to me. 

• Like 2

Here's an Australian source about identifying fakes, but it's from over a year ago, so seems to me an update might be helpful:  https://www.safework.nsw.gov.au/safety-alerts/safety-alerts/supply-of-fake-face-masks

Also, Aaron Collins mask testing data has added a whole slew of KN95s lately, since school districts have been handing them out to teachers (with some handing out bad ones), and it might be reassuring to see that a lot of them really do test decently:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M0mdNLpTWEGcluK6hh5LjjcFixwmOG853Ff45d3O-L0/htmlview?pru=AAABfl6ogIE*DVfiq1ym8jwFR9UQJqOAiQ#gid=1976839763

Here's a list of known counterfeits in the US:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/usernotices/counterfeitResp.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Order or purchase from a reputable supplier, not a resaler or other odd company from Amazon. I purchased from Home Depot. They have several different options & they are available in store here. Check the CDC list for certified manufacturers & models before you buy. 

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1.html

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Does anyone know if ordering directly from Amazon (sold and shipped by Amazon) is safe? That's where I have ordered most of our N95s. 

I try to pay close attention to the reviews, as well, but with so many fakes out there, I still worry sometimes.

If it’s sold by Amazon, maybe. I don’t know if they would be able to tell a fake or not, though, unless they buy directly from the manufacturer and not a distributor.

I’m returning some level 3 procedure masks I purchased from a third party seller through Amazon. I decided to risk it since they were only level three masks & I know what they look and feel like. The color of the mask is off and it made me wonder if it was discarded by the manufacturer as irregular. It could just be the color that’s irregular, or it could be more. Since I’ve no way to know, the box is going back. I don’t think I could tell on an N95. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I was literally trying to start this thread. I’ve found adult ones from chemists and dh has some from work that I trust but I’m looking for kids ones.  All I can find is Amazon and eBay and I’m not really confident that they’re going to be the real deal.

Yeah, I was just looking at the 'N95' from Woolies. The brand is Softmed. I'd like to be able to trust somewhere like a pharmacy or Woolies, but who knows? 

9 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Yeah, I was just looking at the 'N95' from Woolies. The brand is Softmed. I'd like to be able to trust somewhere like a pharmacy or Woolies, but who knows? 

Buy direct and distribute some to your young adult daughter too? Its $125 for 50 masks (N95 Flat folded particular RESPIRATOR AND SURGICAL MASK on comfort headloop) and free shipping.

https://softmed.com.au/product/n95-flat-folded-particular-respirator-and-surgical-mask-on-comfort-headloop/

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Buy direct and distribute some to your young adult daughter too? Its $125 for 50 masks (N95 Flat folded particular RESPIRATOR AND SURGICAL MASK on comfort headloop) and free shipping.

https://softmed.com.au/product/n95-flat-folded-particular-respirator-and-surgical-mask-on-comfort-headloop/

I was thinking of doing exactly that, but I was thrown by how the 'Softmed N95s' from Woolies have different packaging and manufacturer than the ones direct from Softmed.

It's got me worried about all the suppliers. Yikes. I'd really like to be able to trust a purchase from a big chain grocery shop or a chemist. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I was thinking of doing exactly that, but I was thrown by how the 'Softmed N95s' from Woolies have different packaging and manufacturer than the ones direct from Softmed.

It's got me worried about all the suppliers. Yikes. I'd really like to be able to trust a purchase from a big chain grocery shop or a chemist. 

Sometimes I buy stuff from the pharmacist at the chemist even though it is an over the counter healthcare item.  I just assume they would be more up to date with product recalls due to bad lots.

36 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

It’s like everything else with this stupid virus — we don’t know whom or what to trust! 😞 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I've ordered some KN95s, N95s and P2s, hoping that at least one of them gives each of us a good fit.

I have no idea how to know if any of them are fake though. Any hints on how to tell?

I don't want to think we're upgrading, when we might be better off sticking with what we're using now (level 3 surgical + triple-layer cotton over the top).

This is what we have and are wearing too.  Although I've been wearing the cotton on the bottom and the surgical on top.  Maybe that's less effective?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, J-rap said:

This is what we have and are wearing too.  Although I've been wearing the cotton on the bottom and the surgical on top.  Maybe that's less effective?

I have no idea if one would be more effective. That's a good question.

I do it with cloth triple layer on the outside, because it's a snug fit and it holds the surgical mask nicely in place with no gaping 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, J-rap said:

5 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I do it with cloth triple layer on the outside, because it's a snug fit and it holds the surgical mask nicely in place with no gaping 

Yes, that's the idea. The surgical mask is providing the high filtration, and the cloth mask is holding it in place for a better fit. 👍

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, J-rap said:

18 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I have no idea if one would be more effective. That's a good question.

My county health department posted this today for easy reference. I have been wearing double surgical masks since delta, sometimes with my cloth mask over to make it more secure.  

image.thumb.png.96ba9f8f398e9bf143c763d8f80f7e6c.png

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My county health department posted this today for easy reference. I have been wearing double surgical masks since delta, sometimes with my cloth mask over to make it more secure.  

image.thumb.png.96ba9f8f398e9bf143c763d8f80f7e6c.png

This is really good, clear guidance. I like it!

17 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I've been looking at those!

I think these are what I have, but I got them elsewhere online. 

The AU link Ksera posted tells you what genuine masks should have printed on them. To tell you the truth, I found it v difficult to work out myself and hope I've purchased wisely. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Ugh. Will someone please message me a place to get some ear loop style in the U.S.? I could look through that spreadsheet but it's going to take me forever. And I apparently have 50 masks that are no good and it is too late to return them.

I’m so sorry! Anything on Kollecteusa.com, BeHealthyUSA.net, bonafide, ProjectN95 or ArbrustUSA is legit. Im not at home, but can look for links later if I got any wrong. Ill see if I can copy and paste a link to some that are in stock. 

39 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Ugh. Will someone please message me a place to get some ear loop style in the U.S.? I could look through that spreadsheet but it's going to take me forever. And I apparently have 50 masks that are no good and it is too late to return them.

PMd you. Kollecte is pretty wiped out, but they have some Evergreen Cleantop adjustables (and also some NIOSH certified N 95s from Korea for those who don’t require ear loops)

• Thanks 1