Menu

Book a Week 2022 - BW1: Welcome to our 2022 Reading Adventures

Robin M

Happy New Year, my darlings and I’m so glad you are joining me for another round of Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks. Can you believe it's our 14th blogoversary? We'll have to think of a special mini challenge to celebrate. We have some great new challenges this year and as always, you can choose to play along or chart your own path in your quest to read.  

If you are new to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks, the goal to read 52 books. How you get there is up to you.  We all read at different paces and I don't want anyone to sacrifice quality for quantity by reading short books just to make the goal. I want you to enjoy yourself.  If you have only managed to read one book in a year, challenge yourself to read two.  Five? Then shoot for ten.  Years ago when we started this challenge, there were a few people who were sure they'd never be able to read 52 books in a year.  Maybe 12, maybe 30, but 52, forget about it.  Guess what?  Many are reading 52 books or more.  Never say never. Set your own goal, read what you want, explore and dive into those longer books, engage your mind and soul and don't worry.  Do your best, challenge yourself and see what happens. 

We have some exciting challenges this year including one a bit different - a new weekly A to Z and Back Again reading challenge with a writing element for the folks in our group who like to journal, write short stories or novel length stories as well as fan fiction, flash fiction and non fiction. Each week I'll present the letter and word of the week.  You can read a book or author starting with the letter, or find a character that emulates that characteristic or job.  Find a synonym or antonym; maybe form an aptigram or antigram.  Rhyme or reason doesn't apply.  Write a story or  poem and let your thoughts fly. How you do it is up to you.  This week we start with A, go through the alphabet and back again to end with A on week 52. I'll post a link to an example on my personal blog so you can see what my wild and wacky brain came up with in response to Word of the Week.   I hope you'll play along. 

Letter and word of the week:  A – Antiquary

And now for something even more exciting.  I'm very happy to announce a brand new reading challenge cohosted by two of our very own Book a Weekers: Amy (alias - aggieamy) & Sandy (alias- mumto2). We’re going on a Crime Spree!

Take it away ladies! 

We are pleased that you’ve committed to a life (or at least a year) of crime. Consider Sandy and I your get away drivers and accomplices as we delve into just a few of the wonderful sub-genres of mystery over the next 12 months. We’ll start each month with a new challenge and new authors to explore.

This is lighthearted and fun, so tweak the challenges as you want and join the discussion.

Pack your bags. Grab a disguise. Plan an alibi. Let’s go!

PS - And many thanks to the Godmother of our BaW crime family, Robin, for allowing us to hold up the thread once a month.

We’re going to kick off our crime spree with the beloved writers who started it all: Grandparents of Crime. We’ve chosen to highlight just a few of the famous early writers that produced stories we wouldn’t put down! Have you read any of these authors? Who would you nominate for the prestigious Grandparent of Crime title?

For more information on early mystery writers, check out: goldenageofmystery.com

Authors to explore:

Edgar Allen Poe is not only one of the most famous historical short story writers in the US but also started the mystery genre with his short story “The Murders in the Rue Morgue” in 1841. He was writing from 1827 until his death at 40-years-old in 1849.

Wilkie Collins is credited with two important contributions to the mystery genre—inventing the mystery novel genre (The Woman in White) and then inventing the detective novel (The Moonstone). He was writing between 1850-1885.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle could be considered one of the most famous mystery writers, with over 60 Sherlock Holmes short stories and novels published from 1887 to 1927.

Mary Roberts Rinehart is known as the “American Agatha Christie” and is considered the inventor of the “had I but known” literary style in modern mysteries and even better known for creating “the butler did it” trope. Her active years of writing were 1908-1952. 

Challenge: Enter a life of crime by choosing a novel from one of the highlighted Grandparents of Crime or any mystery written before 1910.

Are you excited and ready to get started? If you're new to 52 books, all the links to the challenges are in the menu bar on 52 Books.   Our first reading week will run from January 1st through Saturday, January 8th.  Take your time to explore the different challenges, links to book resources, visit your fellow readers and of course, read.  I look forward to hearing all about your adventures. 

~Cheers to a wonderful new reading year!

Link to 2021 Week 52

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges.   

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I currently have three books still in progress:  My A book - All Shall Be Well by Deborah Crombie. Sipping Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and listening to Uncommon Type, short stories written by Tom Hanks on Audible. 

Since we traditionally start the year with Haruki Murikami and other authors from Asia, waiting on the nightstand is Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.  Related to our Author of the Month as well as the Word of the Week, The Great Passage by Shion Miuri is waiting in the wings as well and is about a character who likes to collect antiquarian books. 

• Like 5

Happy New Year! It's late on New Year's Day for me. 

I have got a book of 366 readings on Stoicism by Ryan Holiday which I must admit I've already dipped into (I'm going away this week so will catch up when I get back). I am already really enjoying it. 

I've downloaded a couple of books to take on my trip - an Australian novel, two classics, and a sci-fi. I will review them when I'm done. I have been trying to wean myself off all Amazon products and the Kindle was the last step. I still have the kindle, but now I'm buying on Kobo and moving across to the Kindle. I just prefer the old Kindle feel, rather than the Kobo touchscreen, and also I keep the Kobo for my daughter to use for her own reading. 

I am currently re-reading Becky Chambers' A Psalm for the Wild-Built. I'd say this is the fifth time I've read it, and I only got it, what, a month or two ago? Along with Katherine Addison's The Witness for the Dead, it's a great advertisement for tea. 

• Like 7

Robin, Thank you!

Can I just say that I am so very well planned for the start of this year!  My life of crime is going to be awesome!  I wonder how many of my planned books I will actually manage to read……

Right now my annual Murakami is waiting for me.  I haven’t read The Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World before.  My library has it so the decision was easy.  I am looking forward to this one! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27216148-hard-boiled-wonderland-and-the-end-of-the-world

I plan to play Robin’s A to Z game.  My first book will be High Jinx by Kelley Armstrong for the A.  The characters in this are witches specializing in jinxed antiquities so it fits the theme perfectly!

Now for my life of crime.  I have so many plans…….the grandparents of crime is where it all starts and there are so many really wonderful mysteries to be read.  Wilkie Collins and Woman in White which we have been hinting about is awesome.  I love The Moonstone too!  I can’t wait to listen to both of these again.  I also want to read at least one other story by Wilkie and simply have to choose.  I have a list and bought a kindle version of the complete of Wilkie so should be able to just plain wallow in his books all this coming year if that’s where my muse takes me.

Dd and I loved the Mr. Grice books by Anna Katherine Green so I plan to revisit those.  Same for Mary Roberts Rinehart.  I have many on my kindle by both authors in free versions from a long time ago.  So many books…….

• Like 8

I finished a couple of books that I'll count as last year's reads.

Light From Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki is a strange mix of aliens come to Earth who are running a doughnut store; a famous violin teacher who has promised seven souls to a demon and who is fast approaching the deadline to deliver the seventh; a young trans woman who has run away from an abusive home with her violin; and a variety of other characters including an AI. Strangely, it all works.

"Shizuka Satomi made a deal with the devil: to escape damnation, she must entice seven other violin prodigies to trade their souls for success. She has already delivered six.

When Katrina Nguyen, a young transgender runaway, catches Shizuka's ear with her wild talent, Shizuka can almost feel the curse lifting. She's found her final candidate.

But in a donut shop off a bustling highway in the San Gabriel Valley, Shizuka meets Lan Tran, retired starship captain, interstellar refugee, and mother of four. Shizuka doesn't have time for crushes or coffee dates, what with her very soul on the line, but Lan's kind smile and eyes like stars might just redefine a soul's worth. And maybe something as small as a warm donut is powerful enough to break a curse as vast as the California coastline.

As the lives of these three women become entangled by chance and fate, a story of magic, identity, curses, and hope begins, and a family worth crossing the universe for is found."

I also read The Arrangement (Soulmates Book 1) by Felice Stevens which I enjoyed. (Significant adult content)

"Carter Haywood lives for the weekends—specifically the one weekend every month when he escapes real life, with all the pressures of work and caring for his special needs brother, to do whatever he wants, with whomever he wants. ...

Damaged goods. That's all Reed Kincaide sees and hears when he looks in the mirror. Anxiety and ADHD define his life and he’s learned to keep people at a distance, never letting them get close enough to know who he really is. ...

As months pass and they grow closer Reed finds himself falling for Carter, but he needs more than hurried hugs and farewell kisses. He wants it all. Letting Reed into his carefully constructed family life could upset Carter’s whole world, but it might be the risk he’s finally willing to take, if it means keeping Reed. ..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

Light From Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki is a strange mix of aliens come to Earth who are running a doughnut store; a famous violin teacher who has promised seven souls to a demon and who is fast approaching the deadline to deliver the seventh; a young trans woman who has run away from an abusive home with her violin; and a variety of other characters including an AI. Strangely, it all works.

Sounds fascinating. 

8 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Now for my life of crime.  I have so many plans…….the grandparents of crime is where it all starts and there are so many really wonderful mysteries to be read.  Wilkie Collins and Woman in White which we have been hinting about is awesome.

Oh yeah, I forgot I have Woman In White in my stacks. Will have to move it up in the stacks to read. 

• Like 5

Happy New Year!  I had to stop and process Robins comment about this being the 14th year. I couldn't believe it. Then I remembered my now 24 year old was young when it all began.  I've been in and out of this group as life changes have fluctuated through the years.  My youngest 3 are now older and  I think I can try to keep up now!!

In 2020, I only read 17 books. In 2021, I nearly tripled that number.  I finally decided that reading is what I love and I would stop making excuses that I don't have time.  I found audiobooks and that seems to work the best for me most of the time.  I can put on the book and clean or do whatever I need to do. In the car has also worked wonderfully.  I will be going back to school myself this winter/spring studying Library and Information Services. I am SO excited!!!

The most recent reads of mine are The 7 husbands of Evelyn Hugo. That is an amazing audiobook and crushed my soul, while making me smile.  Great story about love and what we will do for love and what love really is.  I am currently listening to Five Tuesdays in Winter, by Lily King. I am not much for short stories, but this intrigued me. I was delighted to find that the audiobook was included in my Audible plus catalog. Unusual as this is a new release. This book is amazing. Lily King is a new to me author and definitely one I will be seeking out more.   Next in line will be Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata.  Another new author for me. Was available for my kindle with no wait from my library.  I will also be reading The midnight Library as a group read starting January 16th. Im excited for that as well. Speaking of Goodreads, Can someone teach me how to link to my account, should anyone want to follow and or be friends?? 

I will try to get in on the life of crime! Definitely something I love to read about.

OK, thats all for now.  Its nice to be back "home" and enjoy some great books together!!

Chandi

• Like 9

I read 29 books in 2021. 

I’ll give 52 books another go this year. I got about 20 pages into my new book today before someone started demanding Peter Rabbit. Before I knew it, I was roped in to reading a very tall pile of picture books. So we will see how it ends up panning out this year. 😂

• Like 8

I have posted a few times in the BAW threads over the years but have never kept at it over time. I do read constantly; perhaps this year, I will actually keep up with posting here.

I love mysteries. In fact, 98% of my reading is in the mystery or thriller genre. So I will join in on that challenge and hopefully branch out to some other things, as well.

I'm going to start with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which also works for the "A" alphabetical category this week.

My SIL gave me this for Christmas, and Sherlock is represented here, as well: https://www.amazon.com/Enno-Vatti-Books-Scratch-Poster/dp/B07NYR4N6G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2OWI82ML7U8SY&keywords=100+books+poster&qid=1641154219&sprefix=100%20books%20poster%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQ1VTN01VMjA0VFBUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDIzNjgzMzQ0T1pGU0dFQlBONyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDAzODg0M0IzNjhYNVgySlNXQiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= 

• Like 7

I managed 111 books out of the 110 I challenged myself too, so I'm sticking with that number for next year.  I can always go over right? I'm not making any huge plans other than to try and follow along with some of the mystery challenges this year.

I wrapped the year up with the Starship's Mage Series by Glynn Stewart. Not on par with the other space operas I've read recently, but exactly what I needed around the holidays.  I'm not sure I like where things are going with the last few books, as I don't care for the new main character, but there have been enough of the old to keep me reading.

• Like 9

It's been 10 years (!) since I last joined this thread, but I'm ready to give it a go again. I'm still working on the to-read list I made back then in 2012 🙂

My first book of this year was Tuck Everlasting, which I also assigned to my DS. He mostly enjoyed the MBtP literature unit on it, but I didn't like the book at all. I really like books with cozy, satisfying endings- all the more so during this pandemic. I have much more faith in liking my "A" book: At Home in Thrush Green. I've been reading the Thrush Green series for a couple of years and they are so enjoyable to me!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, melmichigan said:

I managed 111 books out of the 110 I challenged myself ...

Kudos to you! 

I read the first of Starship's Mage Series  some time ago. I enjoyed it but was left wanting more magic as I recall.

12 minutes ago, scholarly said:

It's been 10 years (!) since I last joined this thread, but I'm ready to give it a go again. I'm still working on the to-read list I made back then in 2012 🙂

Welcome back and happy reading! I look forward to hearing about what you read.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

On 1/1/2022 at 12:34 AM, bookbard said:

I am currently re-reading Becky Chambers' A Psalm for the Wild-Built. I'd say this is the fifth time I've read it, and I only got it, what, a month or two ago? Along with Katherine Addison's The Witness for the Dead, it's a great advertisement for tea. 

Both authors I'm looking forward to reading.  Happy New Year

9 hours ago, welovebooks said:

I will also be reading The midnight Library as a group read starting January 16th. Im excited for that as well. Speaking of Goodreads, Can someone teach me how to link to my account, should anyone want to follow and or be friends?? 

Welcome back.   I enjoyed Midnight Library. It was definitely different and look forward to hearing what you think about it.  Here's the link to my goodreads.  To link to your account, click on your icon in the right hand corner, go to profile, then copy the url address and paste here. 

5 hours ago, AnneGG said:

I’ll give 52 books another go this year. I got about 20 pages into my new book today before someone started demanding Peter Rabbit. Before I knew it, I was roped in to reading a very tall pile of picture books. So we will see how it ends up panning out this year.

Good to see you!  Aw, so sweet your kids love sharing their books with you.  

5 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I have posted a few times in the BAW threads over the years but have never kept at it over time. I do read constantly; perhaps this year, I will actually keep up with posting here.

Welcome back. Love the scratch off poster.  

2 hours ago, melmichigan said:

I managed 111 books out of the 110 I challenged myself too, so I'm sticking with that number for next year.  I can always go over right? I'm not making any huge plans other than to try and follow along with some of the mystery challenges this year.

Yeah and Yep, you can read more, you don't have to stop.  

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, scholarly said:

Welcome back. I haven't read any of the Miss Read books. Look interesting. 

• Like 7

Happy New Year everyone! The year of crime sounds fun as it is one of my favorite genres.

I ended up with 42 books read in 2021. The last two I finished Friday and early Saturday morning.

Washington Square by Henry James. I had only seen the movie version with Olivia DeHaviland and iirc the movie was a bit different. The narrator, Lloyd James, was very good.

Joyland by Stephen King. Nothing gory and only a touch of the supernatural, this one might even qualify for our year of crime! 

• Like 8

Hi Friends - popping in to say Happy New Year! 

I started Far from the Madding Crowd by Hardy (on Audio) this morning and finished Cook, Eat, Repeat by Nigella Lawson on the first ( and have a bunch of other books in the swing of things) 

I hope to pop in more often in 2022 ... 14 years! Congratulations, Robin and all :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick check-in. Thank you, Robin, and all you ladies for keeping these threads going.  I participated in the 52BinaY challenge for the past two years.  The first one, I squeaked in with 52 books. 🙂  This year, 65!!!

I'm hoping to participate more this year.  2021 was brutal between Covid, arrival and overseeing four unexpected interns (like--5 days notice--staying for the year!), my mother-in-law's fall, surgery (broken hip) and then subsequent passing, and more.  Hoping to see some of my grown kids this year--all overseas--it has been a long two years.

I don't follow any of the challenges--I get *most* of my books via digital library for which I'm extremely grateful as I'm over in Southeast Europe.  Without the library, I'd be without any English-language books.

Recently read and LOVED The Spy and the Traitor by Ben McIntyre.  The history he writes of falls within my adult lifetime and explains the continual "Watch out for spy recruitment from foreign agents" briefings back from my early working days. 😉   The book is non-fiction but reads like a novel.  Highly recommend.

Also recently read and recommend  Klara and the Sun, The Queen's Gambit, The Premonition, The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper, and Death Mask (a non-Brother Cadfael mystery) by Ellis Peter.

Currently reading The Rose Code by Kate Quinn--it was a library suggestion.  Didn't realize it *also* dwelt with intelligence.  I started it, and while I am enjoying it very much, I'l take a break just because the genre is so similar to my previous read.  Now I'll read a book my husband suggested--bit of a dark mystery.   Not my usual genre (mystery, yes, noir, no) but I'll read it just so we can talk about it. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

How nice to see your update, @VickiMNE!

It sounds as though you've had an eventful year. My sympathies on the death of your mother-in-law. I hope you'll get to see your distant offspring; I certainly enjoyed seeing my daughter after a two and a half year separation.

Happy reading!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I'd like to join in this year, if that's ok. I really like the idea of the Crime Spree - crime is a genre I find endlessly fascinating. Rinehart is the only grand parental crime author I've never read, so will see what I can find of hers.

I've just finished Louise Erdrich's new novel, The Sentence. It's a ghost story set in a bookstore, but so much more than that! It's very meta - the author is a (minor) character in the book, it's set in the author's bookstore, and there are multiple texts within the text. (It actually reminded me in this way of Station Eleven, which I read when it came out but am now watching as a tv series.) It's about race, language, violence, culture, grief, guilt and love. I need to let it settle before I know what I think about it, but it was a read in one day kind of book. 

• Like 9

I’m one of those who annually intends to make this thread/group/challenge a regular part of life. By the third week in January, though, I’m usually just scanning occasionally for TBR ideas. I hope y’all don’t mind being used like that. 🙂

My goal is to read 25 books this year. I managed 27 last year, so it’s do-able, but as Robin encourages in that first post, I want to focus on quality over quantity. 

I’m currently reading a memoir, I Keep Trying to Catch His Eye: A Memoir of Loss, Grief, and Love by Ivan Maisel. The author is an ESPN writer whose son took his own life in 2015. It’s very well written and, as expected, emotionally challenging.  

In an attempt to mix in more fiction this year, I’m going to read We Are the Brennans by Tracey Lange next. Anyone read that yet? I think it’s a fairly new release.  

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 8

Hello to everyone here,

seconding what @Kareni said....

On 1/4/2022 at 5:08 AM, Kareni said:

It's nice to see new and familiar faces here.

Pulling this over from last weeks  thread: @mumto2   I am super impressed with your final tally, fluff titles or not, 364 books looks like a massive achievement to me.  

I did enjoyed reading all the comments on that thread, and here, detailing what each one's reading year looked like. 

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 2:05 PM, scholarly said:

I really like books with cozy, satisfying endings- all the more so during this pandemic. I have much more faith in liking my "A" book: At Home in Thrush Green. I've been reading the Thrush Green series for a couple of years and they are so enjoyable to me!

This!!  

• Like 6

Finished Scary Monsters by Michelle de Kretser. 

https://newtownreviewofbooks.com.au/michelle-de-kretser-scary-monsters-reviewed-by-ann-skea/

I expected to dislike this book, which is actually two narratives, one set in a future dystopian Melbourne, AU, the other in 1980's Paris, but I found it interesting enough to read both narratives. 

Tying them together is the experience of being an immigrant. But the scary monsters of the title refer to more than this. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Finished Scary Monsters by Michelle de Kretser. 

https://newtownreviewofbooks.com.au/michelle-de-kretser-scary-monsters-reviewed-by-ann-skea/

I expected to dislike this book, which is actually two narratives, one set in a future dystopian Melbourne, AU, the other in 1980's Paris, but I found it interesting enough to read both narratives. 

Tying them together is the experience of being an immigrant. But the scary monsters of the title refer to more than this. 

That looks interesting!  I'm always keen to include downunder authors in TBR wishlist.

• Like 4

My first book of the year is finished with the 2nd installment in Deborah Crombie’s Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James Series with All Shall Be Well

I thought I knew who’d done it, but I was wrong because Crombie did a good job leading me off the garden path, towards another character. Liked getting to know both Kincaid and Gemma better and the burgeoning attraction between them. Enjoyed and appreciated the old fashioned detective work without benefit of cell phone or computer as both detectives. Kincaid’s realization that you can live right next door and still not really know them. The characters discovering Jasmine through her journals and the people she left behind.

“Perhaps it is a blessing when Jasmine Dent dies in her sleep. At last an end has come to the suffering of a body horribly ravaged by disease. It may well have been suicide; she had certainly expressed her willingness to speed the inevitable. But small inconsistencies lead her neighbor, Superintendent Duncan Kincaid, to a startling conclusion: Dent was murdered. But if not for mercy, why would someone destroy a life already doomed? As Kincaid and his appealing assistant Sergeant Gemma James sift through the dead woman’s strange history, a troubling puzzle emerges: a bizarre amalgam of charity and crime–and of the blinding passions that can drive the human animal to perform cruel and inhuman acts.”

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2nd book in the series and look forward to reading more. There are currently 18 books in the series which began in 1993 and the 19th book A Killing of Innocents  is to be released in this year on June 7th.  You know how I love to read series.  I’ll work my way though them… Eventually.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Robin M said:

My first book of the year is finished with the 2nd installment in Deborah Crombie’s Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James Series with All Shall Be Well

I thought I knew who’d done it, but I was wrong because Crombie did a good job leading me off the garden path, towards another character. Liked getting to know both Kincaid and Gemma better and the burgeoning attraction between them. Enjoyed and appreciated the old fashioned detective work without benefit of cell phone or computer as both detectives. Kincaid’s realization that you can live right next door and still not really know them. The characters discovering Jasmine through her journals and the people she left behind.

“Perhaps it is a blessing when Jasmine Dent dies in her sleep. At last an end has come to the suffering of a body horribly ravaged by disease. It may well have been suicide; she had certainly expressed her willingness to speed the inevitable. But small inconsistencies lead her neighbor, Superintendent Duncan Kincaid, to a startling conclusion: Dent was murdered. But if not for mercy, why would someone destroy a life already doomed? As Kincaid and his appealing assistant Sergeant Gemma James sift through the dead woman’s strange history, a troubling puzzle emerges: a bizarre amalgam of charity and crime–and of the blinding passions that can drive the human animal to perform cruel and inhuman acts.”

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2nd book in the series and look forward to reading more. There are currently 18 books in the series which began in 1993 and the 19th book A Killing of Innocents  is to be released in this year on June 7th.  You know how I love to read series.  I’ll work my way though them… Eventually.

I loved this series and read them all in a row!

• Like 5

My tentative reading goals for this year.

I’m hoping to complete 104 titles in total this year.  Which will include, fingers crossed, at least 12 Printed Books.  Along with the A-Z challenge  (I may need to complete it my way, with no writing component,  but am going to try to read, or, listen to the Letter for the Week where I can.)

And books from the Crime Challenge: keen to join in.  with my first (audio) book for that, lined up, as Armadale by Wilkie Collins ( a Collins' book I haven't been through yet).

Non-fiction November Challenge:  I'm keen to have another go at this, this year.

The remainder of my book tally will probably come from these categories:

Continuing with the Classic:  Just completed Cousin Phillis ~ Elizabeth Gaskell (4 out of 5 stars)  David Timson's pdf notes  gifted this book an extra start after I'd completed the audio.

Spiritual Study  (Christian / other faiths)

TBR or restart:  Read from my TBR collection and see if I can complete a few books from my paused and sip-reading titles.

Retro Reads:  I have a few retro era/vintage authors I'd still like to try .

Repeat listens:   I'm on my last Miss Silver book, Out of the Past: Miss Silver, Bk 23 ~ Patricia Wentworth,  narrated by Diana Bishop, for my current repeat cycle through this series.  

I'm currently listening to Project Hail Mary ~ Andy Weir,  narrated by Ray Porter, for my letter A.   the story gets more interesting the further along we get.  I'm purposely ignoring others reviews now that I've started.  (Extra: a few f. words.  I have an aversion to being f-bombed in my books of choice 😏, they are in context and just a few so far. )

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 7

@Mothersweets  Well done! Nice to know Joyland isn't too gory as I love King's psychological thrillers and scary but not too gory stories.

@ladydusk Happy new year and great to see you again. 

@VickiMNE  Sorry to hear about your mom and all your tough times in 2021.  Hope 2022 is better and you'll get to see the kids. Good thoughts winging your way.  Glad you like Klara and the Sun. I'm looking forward to reading it. 

@Melissa Louise Glad you decided to join in.  I have Erdrich's Round House in my stacks and The Sentence on my wishlist. Sounds great, especially since I liked Stations Eleven so much.  Haven't watched the tv show yet but soon.  

Scary Monsters by Michelle de Kretser sounds interesting too. I don't know why but it's reminding me of books I've read with weird narratives.  I'm trying to remember a book which was written in the same way, starting from both ends.  One is Italo Calvino's If on the winters night a traveler written in 2nd person. Steven Hall's Raw Shark Texts in which the character unleashes a ludovician, a conceptual fish that eats memories which is why he doesn't remember. Then there's Julio Cortazar Hopscotch which is two books in one. Read in regular chapter order or follow the hopscotch order and start with chapter 73.  Maybe not up your alley, but they are unique. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hyacinth said:

I’m one of those who annually intends to make this thread/group/challenge a regular part of life. By the third week in January, though, I’m usually just scanning occasionally for TBR ideas. I hope y’all don’t mind being used like that. 🙂

My goal is to read 25 books this year. I managed 27 last year, so it’s do-able, but as Robin encourages in that first post, I want to focus on quality over quantity. 

Nope, we don't mind being used at all.  LOL!  Enjoy your reads and look forward to hearing more about them. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

I'm currently listening to Project Hail Mary ~ Andy Weir,  narrated by Ray Porter, for my letter A.   the story get more interesting the further along we get.  I'm purposely ignoring others reviews now that I've started.  (Extra: a few f. words.  I have an aversion to being f-bombed in my books of choice 😏, they are in context and just a few so far. )

Yes, to the bolded. If the first page starts out with a lot of them, forget about it.  Except for JS Dewes The Divided. The story was too good to pass up.  Love your goals for the new year.  I've put front and center on my bookshelf in the kitchen several non fiction reads that I want to get to this year. 

and I really want to sip read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged this year. Maybe after I finish Wolf Hall. 

• Like 5

Hi everyone! 👋🏻 I’ve been lurking on these Book a Week threads for a while, and I think I’m finally ready to jump in this year. 

Last year, I read 108 books, although I must admit that a big chunk of those are middle grade books from our homeschool (maybe like 30-40). My DDs are 11 and 13, and we do a lot of read-alouds. I hope it’s ok to include some of those middle grade books in my posts. ☺️

Looking back, my favorite books from last year were…

• Anxious People by Fredrik Backman
  • Broken by Jenny Lawson (so funny!!)
  • A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas
  • The Nightingale and The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
  • A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
  • Jefferson’s Sons by Kimberley Brubaker Bradley

Right now I’m currently reading Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. It’s my book club’s pick for this month. I’m only about 25% through, but so far I’m liking it. I’m also reading aloud Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson to my girls. 

I usually set the same goals for myself each year…to read more nonfiction and more classics. Last year I read a few nonfiction (thank you Jenny Lawson!!!), but I always fail with the classics. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Oh well! Maybe I’ll get to a few this year! Other than that, I read where my mood takes me. Thanks for letting me join in!

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

Hi everyone! 👋🏻 I’ve been lurking on these Book a Week threads for a while, and I think I’m finally ready to jump in this year. 

Last year, I read 108 books, although I must admit that a big chunk of those are middle grade books from our homeschool (maybe like 30-40). My DDs are 11 and 13, and we do a lot of read-alouds. I hope it’s ok to include some of those middle grade books in my posts. ☺️

Looking back, my favorite books from last year were…

• Anxious People by Fredrik Backman
  • Broken by Jenny Lawson (so funny!!)
  • A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas
  • The Nightingale and The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
  • A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
  • Jefferson’s Sons by Kimberley Brubaker Bradley

Right now I’m currently reading Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. It’s my book club’s pick for this month. I’m only about 25% through, but so far I’m liking it. I’m also reading aloud Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson to my girls. 

I usually set the same goals for myself each year…to read more nonfiction and more classics. Last year I read a few nonfiction (thank you Jenny Lawson!!!), but I always fail with the classics. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Oh well! Maybe I’ll get to a few this year! Other than that, I read where my mood takes me. Thanks for letting me join in!

Anxious People and Broken were in my faves of 2020 too.

• Like 6

Welcome to our new members and members who we haven’t seen for awhile.  I am really excited about the Crime Spree so am glad that some others plan to join me!  I can’t wait to hear what @tuesdayschildthinks of Armadale by Wilkie Collins.  It’s one of two new to me Wilkie Collins that I am contemplating reading.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Vintage81 said:

Wonderful, so happy you decided to join in.  The Nightingale is one of my favorites as well. I have a few of Kristin Hannah's books on my shelves and looking forward to reading Kristin Hannah's Magic Hours.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

I can’t wait to hear what @tuesdayschildthinks of Armadale by Wilkie Collins.  It’s one of two new to me Wilkie Collins that I am contemplating reading.

Drat 😀, I was hoping you had read it and could tell me "how good it is" to keep me going through the interest slump I've seemed to encounter with other Wilkie's titles so far.  I end up liking them.

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ladydusk said:

I read this between 2020-2021 and it was challenging. Worth the read. 

That's great to hear. I expect that it will be challenging. I've read quite a few books on North Korea. My all-time favorite is Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea. I read it ten years ago and there are parts that I still remember vividly.  

9780385523912.jpg

• Like 7