Menu

Who here has a ballroom gown ready to go?

itsheresomewhere

2 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

Oh and ... I assume those actually pulling a dress out of a closet are being less concerned about the "requirements" than you are  - maybe adding a little sweater for modesty requirements or something but not asking the director about the cleavage and if the skirt is full enough. Cause "this is the dress we have". 

We can do that but DD overheats easily. They have been keeping the stage area about 75 lately and adding a shrug would probably not be ok.  Fainting is not on our top to do list during this.  Lol. 

The other parents here seem to really have these gown at ready.  The one mom who wasn’t sure it was ok asked me to see some 2 inch wide straps on it so it would pass.  

23 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Me too.  This is an interesting group of people.  They looked at me like I had five heads when I said we don’t own one. But I think quite a few of these girls attend purity balls based on what the parents have said.
  Our thrift stores are full of small sizes but nothing really if you are larger. 

I wasn't surprised that a lot of people own very formal gowns, but I was surprised that they fit the modesty requirements until you mentioned that some of the girls attend purity balls. 

I have a few closets full of them, but we used to attend a lot of formal events pre-Covid, so I needed them. I'm not the right size, though, and my gowns wouldn't be the right style for your dd, so I'm no help. I wish you could find something at a Goodwill because it seems like such a shame to spend a lot of money on a costume that she won't wear again. 

Someone already suggested something like this above, but how about posting on NextDoor to ask if anyone has a gown that they would give to your dd or sell to her at a reasonable price? There might be a local buy-nothing type of group, as well. I don't know what those are called because I'm only on NextDoor in my area. I think you can also place Wanted ads on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist, as well, but again, I'm not sure how it works.

I hope she can find something soon!!! Someone must have an old bridesmaid gown or prom gown they don't need anymore! 

I have never in my life owned a dress that would meet those requirements.

These are in spring colors, offered in the size needed, and labeled as intended for purity balls so should be suitable? https://www.jjshouse.com/A-Line-Scoop-Neck-Floor-Length-Chiffon-Lace-Bridesmaid-Dress-With-Pockets-007206482-g206482

$120, and expedited shipping starts at $21. They have other styles on the site as well. See if they could get it to you by the date you need?

Edited by Carolina Wren

22 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I wasn't surprised that a lot of people own very formal gowns, but I was surprised that they fit the modesty requirements until you mentioned that some of the girls attend purity balls. 

I have a few closets full of them, but we used to attend a lot of formal events pre-Covid, so I needed them. I'm not the right size, though, and my gowns wouldn't be the right style for your dd, so I'm no help. I wish you could find something at a Goodwill because it seems like such a shame to spend a lot of money on a costume that she won't wear again. 

Someone already suggested something like this above, but how about posting on NextDoor to ask if anyone has a gown that they would give to your dd or sell to her at a reasonable price? There might be a local buy-nothing type of group, as well. I don't know what those are called because I'm only on NextDoor in my area. I think you can also place Wanted ads on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist, as well, but again, I'm not sure how it works.

I hope she can find something soon!!! Someone must have an old bridesmaid gown or prom gown they don't need anymore! 

Next door in this area is just a hilarious complaint site about people walking past houses on sidewalks.  I have posted on a few places but nothing.  Someone has to have an ugly dress they no longer want/need.  I wonder if they Marie Kondo them. 

If only they would allow her to wear her renaissance dress we made. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carolina Wren said:

I have never in my life owned a dress that would meet those requirements.

These are in spring colors, offered in the size needed, and labeled as intended for purity balls so should be suitable? https://www.jjshouse.com/A-Line-Scoop-Neck-Floor-Length-Chiffon-Lace-Bridesmaid-Dress-With-Pockets-007206482-g206482

$120, and expedited shipping starts at $21. They have other styles on the site as well. See if they could get it to you by the date you need?

I never have owned a dress that would meet the requirements either.  

Have you ordered from them before?  They seem to have a lot of complaints lately on a review site about no receiving orders.  

2 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I never have owned a dress that would meet the requirements either.  

Have you ordered from them before?  They seem to have a lot of complaints lately on a review site about no receiving orders.  

Nope, I found them by doing a search for "purity ball gowns." I think you could find other results that may be reputable, but I have no experience buying formal wear online.

Ready to go? I might have one floor-length dress that fits. And 2-3 that fit 10-15 pounds ago. I try to get away with cocktail length dresses as they look better on me. Granted, there haven't been any big events since Covid hit. A couple of small events but nothing requiring the more formal wear. 

Those modesty requirements are ones we follow always anyways and formal dresses are near impossible to find that meet them.   We always have to modify or wear a shrug etc.  I had three kids get married in the last 2+ years and getting a dress for me was a nightmare. A tiny bit easier for my daughters but not much.  I ended up sewing mine for the last wedding and it was much less stressful. 

I ordered 2 dresses from JJs house for the second wedding and they were fine.  Mine didn't fit but I didn't do custom sizing and should have.  

If it were me, I would sew something that my daughter really liked and would wear again to a prom or something in the future.