Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Novavax (as a primary series followed by a mRna booster)  looks really quite good...I do wish we'd already know more about its use as a booster (they could have known for more than a year that a huge share of the market would be as a booster...).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

An infant did die 😞 https://www.insider.com/healthy-newborn-died-parechovirus-signs-symptoms-2022-7?amp 

“Scans showed to his mom near the end of his life showed "areas where there was actually no tissue anymore," she said. "They said his entire frontal lobe is basically gone. His entire parietal lobe is almost entirely gone."

There wasn't much left to do for the boy, who died at 34 days old.”

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2022/han00469.asp
“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is issuing this Health Alert Network (HAN) Health Advisory to inform clinicians and public health departments that parechovirus (PeV) is currently circulating in the United States. Since May 2022, CDC has received reports from healthcare providers in multiple states of PeV infections in neonates and young infants.
… To date, all PeV positive specimens tested and typed at CDC were type PeV-A3. Because there is presently no systematic surveillance for PeVs in the United States, it is not clear how the number of PeV cases reported in 2022 compares to previous seasons. PeV laboratory testing has become more widely available in recent years, and it is possible that increased testing has led to a higher number of PeV diagnoses compared with previous years.

… PeV-A has multiple types; PeV-A3 is most often associated with severe disease. Symptoms such as upper respiratory tract infection, fever, and rash are common in children between 6 months and 5 years, with most children having been infected by the time they start kindergarten. However, in infants less than 3 months, severe illness can occur, including sepsis-like illness, seizures, and meningitis or meningoencephalitis, particularly in infants younger than 1 month. Upon examination, the spinal fluid in infants with PeV often has few to no white blood cells. Long-term neurodevelopmental outcomes can occur, although this is rare. There is no specific treatment for PeV infection (1). However, diagnosing PeV in infants might change management strategies and provide important health information for families.

Both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected individuals can transmit PeV via the fecal-oral and respiratory routes. Shedding from the upper respiratory tract can occur for 1-3 weeks and from gastrointestinal tract for as long as 6 months after infection. The incubation period is unknown. PeVs are widespread and circulate worldwide. Some types show a clear seasonality of later summer and fall, similar to enteroviruses. PeV-A3 has been seen to demonstrate a cyclical pattern with peaks occurring biennially (2-4).

Recommendations for Clinicians

• Be aware that PeVs circulate in the summer and fall. In the absence of an identified pathogen, consider PeV infection in a neonate or infant presenting with fever, sepsis-like syndrome, or signs of neurologic involvement.”
  • Sad 5

16 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

An infant did die 😞 https://www.insider.com/healthy-newborn-died-parechovirus-signs-symptoms-2022-7?amp 

“Scans showed to his mom near the end of his life showed "areas where there was actually no tissue anymore," she said. "They said his entire frontal lobe is basically gone. His entire parietal lobe is almost entirely gone."

There wasn't much left to do for the boy, who died at 34 days old.”

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2022/han00469.asp
“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is issuing this Health Alert Network (HAN) Health Advisory to inform clinicians and public health departments that parechovirus (PeV) is currently circulating in the United States. Since May 2022, CDC has received reports from healthcare providers in multiple states of PeV infections in neonates and young infants.
… To date, all PeV positive specimens tested and typed at CDC were type PeV-A3. Because there is presently no systematic surveillance for PeVs in the United States, it is not clear how the number of PeV cases reported in 2022 compares to previous seasons. PeV laboratory testing has become more widely available in recent years, and it is possible that increased testing has led to a higher number of PeV diagnoses compared with previous years.

… PeV-A has multiple types; PeV-A3 is most often associated with severe disease. Symptoms such as upper respiratory tract infection, fever, and rash are common in children between 6 months and 5 years, with most children having been infected by the time they start kindergarten. However, in infants less than 3 months, severe illness can occur, including sepsis-like illness, seizures, and meningitis or meningoencephalitis, particularly in infants younger than 1 month. Upon examination, the spinal fluid in infants with PeV often has few to no white blood cells. Long-term neurodevelopmental outcomes can occur, although this is rare. There is no specific treatment for PeV infection (1). However, diagnosing PeV in infants might change management strategies and provide important health information for families.

Both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected individuals can transmit PeV via the fecal-oral and respiratory routes. Shedding from the upper respiratory tract can occur for 1-3 weeks and from gastrointestinal tract for as long as 6 months after infection. The incubation period is unknown. PeVs are widespread and circulate worldwide. Some types show a clear seasonality of later summer and fall, similar to enteroviruses. PeV-A3 has been seen to demonstrate a cyclical pattern with peaks occurring biennially (2-4).

Recommendations for Clinicians

• Be aware that PeVs circulate in the summer and fall. In the absence of an identified pathogen, consider PeV infection in a neonate or infant presenting with fever, sepsis-like syndrome, or signs of neurologic involvement.”

https://virologydownunder.com/severe-parechovirus-infection-in-infants-adding-to-the-case-for-a-role-in-later-neurodevelopmental-issues/

Re long term neurological implications 😞 

“The latest study followed-up some HPeV cases identified in 2013-2014 by a collaborative team from the Australian southeastern state of New South Wales.[8] The new study found that a high proportion of hospitalised infants who had a confirmed HPeV genotype 3 (HPeV-3)-infection, were left with developmental issues 12-months later.[1] Other previous work from some of this team and others around Australia flagged poor outcomes after HPeV infection noting the development of cerebral palsy and visual impairment among some severe HPeV cases following on from neonatal encephalopathy.[9]

In this new preliminary study, the first to report long-term outcomes from HPeV cases, half of the infants followed up showed some level of neurodevelopmental “concern” with 19% described as having “significant” development concerns including gross motor and problem-solving issues. The study could not identify any clinical features that could be used to predict these developmental outcomes in future cases; an area for future work. 

Also of concern to the authors was their finding that a high proportion of the infants with significant developmental concerns identified in this study, had initially been assessed as being without neurological sequelae (a condition following on from a previous disease or injury)- they were ‘recovered fully’ at discharge or at short-term follow-up. Following on from hard recent lessons taught to us by Ebola virus disease and Zika virus disease – we have another virus that doesn’t just come and go – it leaves a lasting reminder that messing with us early in life can have lasting consequences.”

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 3

Effectiveness of BNT162b2 Vaccine against Omicron in Children 5 to 11 Years of Age | NEJM

study from Singapore of children 5-11 vaccinated with Pfizer and vaccine efficacy during omicron (Jan-April 2022)

Vaccine efficacy for partially vaccinated:

13.6% against all SARS-CoV-2 infections

24.3% against PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection

42.3% against Covid-19–related hospitalization

VE for fully vaccinated:

36.8% against all SARS-CoV-2 infections

65.3% against PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection

82.7% against Covid-19–related hospitalization

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 7

48 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Effectiveness of BNT162b2 Vaccine against Omicron in Children 5 to 11 Years of Age | NEJM

study from Singapore of children 5-11 vaccinated with Pfizer and vaccine efficacy during omicron (Jan-April 2022)

Vaccine efficacy for partially vaccinated:

13.6% against all SARS-CoV-2 infections

24.3% against PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection

42.3% against Covid-19–related hospitalization

VE for fully vaccinated:

36.8% against all SARS-CoV-2 infections

65.3% against PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection

82.7% against Covid-19–related hospitalization

That’s better than I thought the shot was doing in that age group, honestly.  I still think Pfizer went too low with their kid dose. It would be good to see the results with three doses. I do notice of the six kids with MIS-C, there was one of those who was vaccinated. I wish my kid in that age group could get a Moderna booster rather than Pfizer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KSera said:

That’s better than I thought the shot was doing in that age group, honestly.  I still think Pfizer went too low with their kid dose. It would be good to see the results with three doses. I do notice of the six kids with MIS-C, there was one of those who was vaccinated. I wish my kid in that age group could get a Moderna booster rather than Pfizer.

Me too.  Me too.  I really wanted all my kids to get Moderna.  Makes me bitter that we didn't get that choice unless we would have waited until now.

• Like 1

One more anecdatum:

I'm two weeks post-Covid now and I went to my doctor for a shoulder injury. My blood pressure was high for the first time ever. I didn't even think of Covid while I was at the appointment, but I googled when I got home and it seems there might be a link. I have to go back and get my BP checked again next month. My Covid case was so mild but the possibility of bringing on hypertension would be one more reason to continue doing whatever you can to avoid it.

• Like 8

Final omicron check in. I ended up negative today, day 12. Slight cough and runny nose still but resolving. Still a little tired. Going to work so we’ll see how my energy really holds up. 

DS 22 who got the monoclonals tested neg day 10. He might have been neg earlier but I didn’t try. Still has moderate congestion but working through it. 

DS 19 felt significantly better on day 5, negative day 8 (it was all I could do to keep him down those 3 days). Still has a tiny running nose but totally back to normal energy. 

• Like 6

Well, here we go. Ds 17 has been at beach camp this week. He just tested positive (asymptomatic) and is on his way home. There goes his next week camp. Dh, dd13 and I were headed to Maine. I was really looking forward to it. Looks like I’m staying home.  We are setting up the downstairs family room for him to isolate in. Maybe dh and dd can still go if we can totally manage it. I knew it would be a complete miracle if we made it through the summer without this happening. At least it wasn’t mid-next week when I’d have been in Maine and him in Virginia. Sigh

dd13 just got diagnosed with exercise induced branchioconstriction yesterday. I don’t know if that puts her more at risk and I haven’t had her boosted as she’s just 7 months out from her initial series. Ugh

• Sad 7

9 minutes ago, freesia said:

Well, here we go. Ds 17 has been at beach camp this week. He just tested positive (asymptomatic) and is on his way home. There goes his next week camp. Dh, dd13 and I were headed to Maine. I was really looking forward to it. Looks like I’m staying home.  We are setting up the downstairs family room for him to isolate in. Maybe dh and dd can still go if we can totally manage it. I knew it would be a complete miracle if we made it through the summer without this happening. At least it wasn’t mid-next week when I’d have been in Maine and him in Virginia. Sigh

dd13 just got diagnosed with exercise induced branchioconstriction yesterday. I don’t know if that puts her more at risk and I haven’t had her boosted as she’s just 7 months out from her initial series. Ugh

Oh man that all sucks.  I am so sorry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh man that all sucks.  I am so sorry.

Thanks. I left out the constant car problems of the last 10 days. I was on the phone with the youth pastor about the positive test when the car guy came out to tell me our car was ready. It’s a little ridiculous around here right now. But we do have a house where isolation is possible, land he can go out onto and lie in the hammock or use his forge. I am home and can stay with him. And some church ladies sent dh home with wine yesterday for our trip 😂 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I’m glad they’re speeding it up, but boy it does not lend confidence when they kept flip-flopping on this. Last week they kept saying people could get the booster now and still be eligible in fall. it will be the worst of both worlds if they decide to hold off on okaying boosters for under 50 and then the new ones aren’t ready until early winter anyway. Hopefully the companies can succeed in pulling it off by September. I wonder what age range that will be for, though. 18 and up?

• Like 2

I am so confused. I was feeling off yesterday and today, even moreso, constant low grade headache and fatigue plus runny nose but my PCR came back negative and I just took a rapid and it was also negative. Any ideas??  

Edited by cintinative

6 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I am so confused. I was feeling off yesterday and today, even moreso, constant low grade headache and fatigue plus runny nose but my PCR came back negative and I just took a rapid and it was also negative. Any ideas??  

when did symptoms start?   It sounded like a lot on here people got symptoms but didn't test positive for a few days after symptoms

13 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Dh had a negative PCR even after a positive RAT but then a second positive RAT confirmed it. The GP said they’re only as good as the person doing the swab. If you’ve had significant exposure then I’d assume symptoms are likely covid and retest over the next couple of days. Otherwise you’re super unlucky and picked up another illness I guess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Dh had a negative PCR even after a positive RAT but then a second positive RAT confirmed it. The GP said they’re only as good as the person doing the swab. If you’ve had significant exposure then I’d assume symptoms are likely covid and retest over the next couple of days. Otherwise you’re super unlucky and picked up another illness I guess.

Since my whole family has or has had COVID I am hoping it is just that something is off with the testing.  I really, really hope it's not something else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

when did symptoms start?   It sounded like a lot on here people got symptoms but didn't test positive for a few days after symptoms

4 hours ago, cintinative said:

yesterday

When was the PCR done? Sounds possible that it was too early? 

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

ae1df0b0-34c7-470e-9a9b-430a18673f0b

What’s up with Montana? This high risk and low risk are almost inverse of each other in the community vs individual risk maps. Maybe the high risk areas have very low hospital capacity?

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have been wondering:  why didn’t we go from Omicron to Pi?  

Because if we’ve managed to convince everyone that omicron is mild and we keep calling it omicron forever then they don’t worry so much? I don’t know that’s the cynical take. I figure they’re probably going to run out of Greek letters so it’s just easier to use confusing numbers maybe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Because if we’ve managed to convince everyone that omicron is mild and we keep calling it omicron forever then they don’t worry so much? I don’t know that’s the cynical take. I figure they’re probably going to run out of Greek letters so it’s just easier to use confusing numbers maybe.

I find BA2.75, BA4, BA.5 easier than names like Omicron, Delta, Alpha. For my country of origin, the reporters are already going by the BA variants naming instead of omicron.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KSera said:

This high risk and low risk are almost inverse of each other in the community vs individual risk maps. Maybe the high risk areas have very low hospital capacity?

I *think* (not an expert, speculation) that this particular strain is not putting people in the hospital as much, therefore, the community map which is largely based on how taxed the healthcare system is, is not reflecting the true spread which is shown on the transmission map.  Here our cases are going up each week and our positivity is pretty high (despite a lot of unreported cases I am guessing), but the hospitals are not swamped yet.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I *think* (not an expert, speculation) that this particular strain is not putting people in the hospital as much, therefore, the community map which is largely based on how taxed the healthcare system is, is not reflecting the true spread which is shown on the transmission map.  Here our cases are going up each week and our positivity is pretty high (despite a lot of unreported cases I am guessing), but the hospitals are not swamped yet.

Yes, I would agree with that.  The numbers are astronomical. One of our counties has a 26 percent positivity and 217 cases per 100,000. That despite a large number (like us) have been positive on a home test and never told anyone.  However, the hospital has 1 percent of their patients as Covid patients.  In our entire region ( which is several counties) at the height of the last wave we had 900 people with Covid in the hospital, taxing it greatly.  There are only 90 in the hospital now, only 8 of which are in ICU, 4 of those on a vent.  In the last wave nearly all of the Covid patients were in ICU.  So this strain going around here certainly seems much less serious. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

PCR was Thursday. Rapids on Thursday and last night both negative.

I thought PCR could catch it much earlier than rapid (e.g asymptomatic). Am I wrong?

No, you’re right that PCR catches it earlier (usually). It’s still possible it was too early for PCR though. I would either get another PCR or wait another day or so and rapid test yet again. 

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

What’s confusing though is that in Montana, many of the places that are low individual risk are high for community risk, which indicates high hospital use in those areas. 

• Like 1

so it is now five days post my youngest testing positive, and my "symptoms" are super weird. Other than a low level headache which comes and goes and a very small amount of congestion that usually resolves as I move about, I have neck pain (not gland pain, actual neck pain) and fullness in my ears, a little chest pain (but no coughing or trouble breathing) and sometimes dizziness/fatigue. I actually felt better Saturday than Friday, and then back to worse yesterday.  My guess is that the chest pain is anxiety related. The neck pain has me stumped though. It's sort of wrapping underneath my jaw and back under my ears and around the base of my neck in the back.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, cintinative said:

so it is now five days post my youngest testing positive, and my "symptoms" are super weird. Other than a low level headache which comes and goes and a very small amount of congestion that usually resolves as I move about, I have neck pain (not gland pain, actual neck pain) and fullness in my ears, a little chest pain (but no coughing or trouble breathing) and sometimes dizziness/fatigue. I actually felt better Saturday than Friday, and then back to worse yesterday.  My guess is that the chest pain is anxiety related. The neck pain has me stumped though. It's sort of wrapping underneath my jaw and back under my ears and around the base of my neck in the back.

That sounds like a tension headache. They are horrible! I am sorry. You might try ice on the back of your neck.

OTOH, there are reports of neck pain with this round of Covid, but I get the impression it accompanies a stiff neck (meningitis-like). 

• Thanks 1

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/covid-state-of-affairs-july-25?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjo0MzgwODk0MCwicG9zdF9pZCI6NjM4MTczMjcsImlhdCI6MTY1ODc1NzI2NywiaXNzIjoicHViLTI4MTIxOSIsInN1YiI6InBvc3QtcmVhY3Rpb24ifQ.whVTjiYb-Lef0-eEyyFu-5bXygubtcQyCUA5WPO4EcU&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Bottom line

We are in the middle of a wave, and the world is feeling it. There are signs that BA.5 cases peaked in the U.S., but we need to ensure this trend solidifies. The story of severe COVID-19 continues to change for the better. If you don’t want to get sick or want to protect the vulnerable around you even if they are vaccinated, like grandparents, you need to continue to ride this wave responsibly.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 4

And...first man down in my house.  We made it through this whole pandemic, but it finally got one of us.  DS2 - very mild symptoms - very minor runny nose and a cough.  It is hard to tell with him because he has a tic that is a cough.  The nose gave it away though.

I am testing now and going to test DS1.

DS2's summer swim season is over.  Just one more meet (divisionals) and our banquet this coming weekend and we were going to hibernate again 😞.  I just checked the CDC guidelines and did their little tool.  It says this:

When can I leave home?

You can leave your home on July 30, 2022 if your symptoms are improving.

Wear a well-fitting mask around other people and do not travel through August 3, 2022.

I'm so confused - the guidelines just say if symptoms are improving.  It doesn't say anything about still testing positive.

I'm sad because in 10 years (my boys get their 10 year pins this weekend), he has never missed a swim meet.  Not one.  I hate this!  And...while I know things could be a lot worse, I am feeling sorry for us at the moment -- LOL.

• Sad 14

2 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

And...first man down in my house.  We made it through this whole pandemic, but it finally got one of us.  DS2 - very mild symptoms - very minor runny nose and a cough.  It is hard to tell with him because he has a tic that is a cough.  The nose gave it away though.

I am testing now and going to test DS1.

DS2's summer swim season is over.  Just one more meet (divisionals) and our banquet this coming weekend and we were going to hibernate again 😞.  I just checked the CDC guidelines and did their little tool.  It says this:

When can I leave home?

You can leave your home on July 30, 2022 if your symptoms are improving.

Wear a well-fitting mask around other people and do not travel through August 3, 2022.

I'm so confused - the guidelines just say if symptoms are improving.  It doesn't say anything about still testing positive.

I'm sad because in 10 years (my boys get their 10 year pins this weekend), he has never missed a swim meet.  Not one.  I hate this!  And...while I know things could be a lot worse, I am feeling sorry for us at the moment -- LOL.

Oh man that sucks.  I am sorry.