Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, popmom said:

interesting that our wastewater is trending worse. I am not hearing of people having it like I was in August/September. That is just anecdotal. Maybe it is hitting rural areas harder now.

Maybe she's a bit behind on data? We are still able to look up local data  Our local data shows waste water down now and our hospitlization plummeted the last couple weeks?   Both our wastewater and hospitilation hit a peak at the end of September.  And she is showing us worse too.

• Like 1

Really hard to find out what's happening here in Australia. Most states aren't reporting deaths, but NSW had 9 and WA 5 over the last week. Victoria nearly as big as NSW so no way it can be 0. Anecdotally have heard very little, but people aren't testing. 

Just realised the article I read is a week out of date. 

Edited by bookbard

41 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Really hard to find out what's happening here in Australia. Most states aren't reporting deaths, but NSW had 9 and WA 5 over the last week. Victoria nearly as big as NSW so no way it can be 0. Anecdotally have heard very little, but people aren't testing. 

Just realised the article I read is a week out of date. 

NSW no longer reporting results from RATs only PCR I believe 

12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

NSW no longer reporting results from RATs only PCR I believe 

I don't even look at the reporting numbers now, I can't see how they can be accurate as no one is testing. I look at hospital numbers and death numbers, but now states aren't reporting deaths either. So who knows what is happening. 

2 minutes ago, bookbard said:

I don't even look at the reporting numbers now, I can't see how they can be accurate as no one is testing. I look at hospital numbers and death numbers, but now states aren't reporting deaths either. So who knows what is happening. 

The Epi guy at the uni here posts the ref weekly which is good. While the actual case numbers are obviously way off the ref trending up and down seems to be a helpful guide. Lots sick here in our social circle but those who tested did something have mostly had influenza. There was a surprising number of cloth and surgical masks at the shops yesterday so I suspect it’s around again

I have a cold today - negative RAT. No idea where it came from.

• Like 1

How ironic is this - I was talking to an older person about getting the shingles vaccine, and she was 'oh, my gp friend says it's not a big deal'. So I just saw her again yesterday and yep, she'd just spent 4 weeks with shingles, severe pain and had to go to hospital. She's telling everyone now to get the vaccine (which from November in Australia is covered if you're over 65). 

On 10/13/2023 at 4:44 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

I have a cold today - negative RAT. No idea where it came from.

Hope you're feeling better soon. 

• Sad 3

(x-post)

Long and fairly technical discussion of the current state of nasal vaccine development. The good news is that there have been some promising trial results and the US is now providing significant funding. Topol thinks it's possible that we may have an effective nasal vaccine by the end of 2024.

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/covid-nasal-vaccines-get-a-boost

• Like 4

On 10/14/2023 at 9:37 AM, mommyoffive said:

This was particularly informative!

20 hours ago, Corraleno said:

(x-post)

Long and fairly technical discussion of the current state of nasal vaccine development. The good news is that there have been some promising trial results and the US is now providing significant funding. Topol thinks it's possible that we may have an effective nasal vaccine by the end of 2024.

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/covid-nasal-vaccines-get-a-boost

I hope it’s more effective than the flu nasal vaccine, and I hope we know whether it is or not quickly. I’m glad he didn’t brush away the failure of other nasal vaccines as that had been uppermost in my mind when the topic comes up. I remember a previous doctor of mine raving about the amazing nasal flu vaccine. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Thanks! I just booked us appointments for Thursday. I'd been waffling on the timing this time around, so I'm hoping my dilly dallying until novavax was available will turn out to be a good thing.

Glad it is working in your favor.  I was waffling about timing too.  Every time it seems.  It seemed like the spike was going down so waiting would be a good thing.  But rates are still high and we will be crazy busy again starting tomorrow so any reactions that knocked us down would really be a problem.   We went with Moderna again.   I just wasn't seeing compelling information on switching it up.  But I don't read something else today that getting great in real life information is a lot harder now.  

I just need to hunt down kid doses.  It seems like those are like finding gold.  Trying to be patient. 

• Like 2

Niece in NYC has covid. She caught it on a plane from San Francisco to NY. She is having a rough go, but is considered a "mild" case. She hasn't seen her son in two weeks. He is 8 going on 9, and daddy took him to their vacation house and straight up told his school that they better be streaming zoom because son was NOT going to be in school for ten days while they hunkered down away from mom and hope they don't get it. Niece and family have had all the shots, combo of Moderna and Pfizer. The school protested, but relented when dad got tough on them. One would think they would be happy that he was trying NOT to spread covid to classmates. There I go thinking again.

Cases in my county are still low. We are getting ready for winter, and the usual hunkering down, mask at the grocery store and pharmacy. Apart from a routine vet visit for Lewis that I really do not want to skip because he is 14 years and 3 months so things could go wrong at a moment's notice, we are back to pretty much the pod with our adult kids. Three are working remote or in grad school online/in person but with very small classes in large rooms with everyone back to masks, and the other working but not in an office environment, and in a building that upgraded its air, and has a work remote if known exposure and everyone is required to mask. So we have some hope we won't transmit this to mil who had had ONE Johnson/Johnson shot and refuses to do any others. My mom had covid this summer from being stupid and going to a party that my brother and his witch threw with a bunch of their nutter friends some of whom were symptomatic and did not care because "not willing to miss this party". We plan on sending her to France to hunker down in the Riviera (Nice` area) for the bulk of the winter while she still has some immunity. She will get her booster right before she leaves as well.

I am so tired of this. But I still am not willing to let my guard down and throw caution to the wind. The statistics on long covid are NOT reassuring.

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I am so tired of this. But I still am not willing to let my guard down and throw caution to the wind. The statistics on long covid are NOT reassuring.

I keep wanting to add Covid to the "What Do You Think Should Be Phased Out" post. I am certainly grumpy about it, and it's somewhat reassuring, at least, to know I'm not the only one.

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Three are working remote or in grad school online/in person but with very small classes in large rooms with everyone back to masks, and the other working but not in an office environment, and in a building that upgraded its air, and has a work remote if known exposure and everyone is required to mask.

Which grad school has everyone back in masks? Also very curious to know the Covid cautious company that has made all those upgrades and is requiring everyone to mask. I have a kid who would really like to find that situation but it’s a unicorn these days. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KSera said:

Which grad school has everyone back in masks? Also very curious to know the Covid cautious company that has made all those upgrades and is requiring everyone to mask. I have a kid who would really like to find that situation but it’s a unicorn these days. 

It is a safer mall company in SW Michigan. I don't have my son's permission to out his location and employer online at the moment. I can ask him if he is comfortable with that when he gets back from his vacation.

I will also have to ask eldest ds about outing his location/school as well. My kids are starting to really tamp down on social media personal info.

• Like 2

Huge jump in hospitalised Covid cases in my state. This took me by surprise because it’s not really showing in the overall case data. I had noticed more surgical and cloth masks (I tend to assume they are people with Covid or close contacts rather than Covid cautious as most Covid cautious have moved to n95). And also a lack of stock shelving at supermarkets. 

• Sad 5

In the reminder text from my Dr, it reminded me that I MUST wear a mask. Hurrah, thought I. But when I show up? No one - not the patients, not the admin, not the doctor - no one is in a mask. Obviously an old text they haven't changed.

Seriously, I don't get the doctors not masking. I wear a mask at work all day. You get used to it. And he's getting really up close to people! 

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

Huge jump in hospitalised Covid cases in my state. This took me by surprise because it’s not really showing in the overall case data. I had noticed more surgical and cloth masks (I tend to assume they are people with Covid or close contacts rather than Covid cautious as most Covid cautious have moved to n95). And also a lack of stock shelving at supermarkets. 

Oh, interesting. I haven't noticed much in NSW, although someone I know picked it up on the plane returning to Australia. I guess if it's high overseas we'll import it and spread it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bookbard said:

In the reminder text from my Dr, it reminded me that I MUST wear a mask. Hurrah, thought I. But when I show up? No one - not the patients, not the admin, not the doctor - no one is in a mask. Obviously an old text they haven't changed.

I had that happen with my dental office :(. Our pediatrician does require them though, which I very much appreciate. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Three takeaways from this article:

1) Masks work in more ways than one. 

2) When a mom says “You’ll catch your death of cold if you don’t bundle up out there!” they are at least partially right. 

3) Yes, yes I do need that lovely, hand-dyed skein of merino yarn to make myself a cozy cowl to keep my nose warm! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Yes, I remember learning that last year, but I am glad to read it again this year because I didn't remember it.   It is getting cold here so I am glad to get reminded of it again.

I usually take my mask off these days as soon as I’m out of the building, but with this information (I’d forgotten about it also), I will keep it on until in the car when it’s cold out. And put it on before getting out of the car rather than right before going inside. 

• Like 3

Novavax (and flu) on board for 4 of us as of yesterday evening. So far my flu arm is very slightly sore, but I can barely feel anything in the covid arm. I've never had particularly bad reactions to covid shots (I think I was all Moderna until now), but I've always had a pretty sore arm for a couple of days and usually some mild fatigue. Now I need to find an under 12 shot for my 10 year old and figure out where my college kid in Nashville can go, since I'm sure he won't do it himself anytime soon.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Novavax (and flu) on board for 4 of us as of yesterday evening. So far my flu arm is very slightly sore, but I can barely feel anything in the covid arm. I've never had particularly bad reactions to covid shots (I think I was all Moderna until now), but I've always had a pretty sore arm for a couple of days and usually some mild fatigue. Now I need to find an under 12 shot for my 10 year old and figure out where my college kid in Nashville can go, since I'm sure he won't do it himself anytime soon.

If you find one let me know.  Still looking for that.  Sigh. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It looks like there are Walgreens relatively near me that have them...just not the one I usually take him to. ETA: yep--just booked him at a Walgreens about 20 minutes away

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

NSW are ending weekly reporting. Typically they have led the way in dropping precautions so it’s likely other states will follow. Wonder if there’s anywhere to see wastewater data so we’re not totally in the dark.

Do they report flu and other respiratory illnesses?

45 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you have Costco and did you already check that if so? I find it ridiculous that the kid shots are so hard to get. I don’t know why even the pediatrician can’t get enough of them for people. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KSera said:

Do they report flu and other respiratory illnesses?

Do you have Costco and did you already check that if so? I find it ridiculous that the kid shots are so hard to get. I don’t know why even the pediatrician can’t get enough of them for people. 

We don't have one close, but thanks for the tip.  I did find a Costco an hour (one way ) from me that says it has some.  But also, with no times that work for us really. Sigh.

• Sad 1

Friend of mine is on 4th round of Covid. She's just developed some very scary symptoms which point towards auto-immune disease. She's 5 years younger than me (and healthy weight etc) . . . my other friend, 10 years younger than me, has ended up with a permanent vertigo condition (can't remember what it is called) after her 2nd round of Covid. It is scary the sheer variety of awful post-covid condition there are. I have to try to stay vigilent as we head towards December, 4 party invites already - luckily I think it will be all outdoors with very little rain ahead in the next few months.

• Sad 9

On 10/20/2023 at 8:56 AM, mommyoffive said:

We don't have one close, but thanks for the tip.  I did find a Costco an hour (one way ) from me that says it has some.  But also, with no times that work for us really. Sigh.

Does it say they also take walk-ins?  Ours are out of appointments but still take walk-ins. 

17 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Friend of mine is on 4th round of Covid. She's just developed some very scary symptoms which point towards auto-immune disease. She's 5 years younger than me (and healthy weight etc) . . . my other friend, 10 years younger than me, has ended up with a permanent vertigo condition (can't remember what it is called) after her 2nd round of Covid. It is scary the sheer variety of awful post-covid condition there are. 

It’s really, really worrisome, but most people who didn’t have trouble recovering after their first (or second) infection don’t seem to have any concern it could happen to them. With studies showing that each infection increases risk, and it currently looking like people are just going to get infected over and over and over, one wonders how much of the population will eventually be suffering from long Covid effects.  It’s an awful thing. Wish we could get rid of it 😞

• Sad 4

21 hours ago, KSera said:

Does it say they also take walk-ins?  Ours are out of appointments but still take walk-ins. 

Our Costco does NOT take walk-ins for the Novavax. They mis-scheduled my DD and me for only a flu shot when I clearly requested the flu and Novavax. They hemmed and hawed because once you open a vial it needs to be used up the same day (?). I did insist and they gave us is what we wanted. 

Side effects were minimal. Flu shot arm hurt more up front but the COVID arm was sore the day after. No fever, but we were both very tired (but we were probably tired anyways). We both took a nap on Saturday which is not like us. Both arms feel fine today.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

It's good news to hear most kids aren't having the same effect on their blood from covid that adults are (though that study was only with kids up to 4 years old, so I wonder what age is the tipping point where it becomes more common for them to have the cardiovascular effects). I feel like people are so focused on the acute illness phase that they ignore the rest though. The lowest incidence I've seen in any study of long covid in kids is 4% and it seems weird to me personally to take lightly even a 4% chance of your child experiencing long term impacts from an actively circulating illness. That's 1 in 25 kids.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, KSera said:

It's good news to hear most kids aren't having the same effect on their blood from covid that adults are (though that study was only with kids up to 4 years old, so I wonder what age is the tipping point where it becomes more common for them to have the cardiovascular effects). I feel like people are so focused on the acute illness phase that they ignore the rest though. The lowest incidence I've seen in any study of long covid in kids is 4% and it seems weird to me personally to take lightly even a 4% chance of your child experiencing long term impacts from an actively circulating illness. That's 1 in 25 kids.

And the long covid is what we can observe. What percentage of kids have subtle damage that will only surface in the long run and/or with repeated infections? I simply do not understand why our leadership (Jha, Walensky, Cohen etc.) has not admitted that they were wrong and that we are on a very dangerous and risky path? There are more and more papers outlining the damage covid does to our bodies and brains - and this is still a very young virus; there is still much more too learn. 

• Like 4