Menu

Favorite plant based meals

thewellerman

Jumping off the plant based (or plant heavy) diet suggestions in my other thread, would you all mind sharing your favorites?  

Here is one I like.  Minus the cheese, obviously. Also, I turn down the heat a little. 

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/sweet-potato-pear-pomegranate-spinach-salad/

ETA I think Faith has great point about stress reduction.  I am tired of this!  So, maybe tailor the recipes towards things that you know are good (instead of general resource suggestions) and also that feel comforting or like an indulgence. 

Edited by thewellerman
  • Like 1

Honestly, it's not fancy but variations on rice and beans are totally my jam. The kids are like, why do we have to have a rice and bean meal once a week and I'm like, are you kidding? I'm feeding us all for well under $5. 

My other new plant based thing is to just make all the sides. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My favorite?  Rice bowls with crispy tofu cubes coated with a chili sauce, marinated cabbage shreds (rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt), and enoki mushrooms-when I can get them. When I can't, I cook a few button mushrooms in olive oil to go next to the tofu.

The kids' favorite?  Shakshuka.  Kind of a chickpea chili.  They won't eat the eggs on top.

Dh's favorite is Mediterranean: falafel, tabuleh, tomato/cucumber salad, hummus and pita (or na'an).

• Like 3

Just now, thewellerman said:

Very comforting!  Do you have a favorite way to make the fried rice?

I make sure I use cold leftover rice.  Since I'm not terribly skilled at timing all the veggies just right, I tend to fry them one or two at a time until they're as done as I like, them dumping them in a bowl.  Next I fry the rice the way I like it . . . super high wok heat, high heat oil, add rice, then add some soy sauce for flavor.  Once the rice has the crispiness I like, I add the veg, stir, and turn off the heat.  I just dump the tofu in last.  

My favorite order is oil, onion, carrot (dump) celery, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, ginger (dump) cabbage (dump) little more oil, rice, soy, (heat off) recombine all,  plus tofu, plus cilantro and green onions, and stir to combine.  People with more skill than me can do all the veggies in one wok-load without dumping but it hurts my feelings to have soggy veggies so I'm extra careful.  I tend to put the green onion whites in with the garlic/ginger and add the green part raw at the end, but that might be unnecessarily stuffy. It cooks FAST so have everything chopped up and on deck before putting anything in the wok.  I tend to put eggs in mine and do those before anything, but that's not vegan.  I think the cabbage and aromatics are the most important for flavor and everything else, besides the rice, is optional

Lo Mein can be even faster, but I tend to do that mostly with pork or beef.  We bought a bigger, better wok during the pandemic and now my husband uses it as his go-to Everything Pan.  It's a problem because of the grease splatter.  It's so much of a problem that for Christmas he's getting a propane wok burner thing so that he can splatter to his heart's content outside on the patio.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Honestly, it's not fancy but variations on rice and beans are totally my jam. The kids are like, why do we have to have a rice and bean meal once a week and I'm like, are you kidding? I'm feeding us all for well under $5. 

My other new plant based thing is to just make all the sides. 

I LOVE red beans and rice or refried beans over rice.  One kid will enjoy it with me, but the other is not a fan of the bean.  It's so delicious.  I cannot relate.

• Like 2

Oooh, falafel is a good main dish too.  I like it with a yogurt sauce, but I'm sure a nice vegan option can be found.  This is my favorite recipe. We love the level of flavor and spiciness, but I also love that you don't cook the chickpeas before grinding and seasoning them.  I burned through a lot of cooked-chickpea falafel recipes before I realized that's not the way to go.  I've even frozen the batter and added the baking soda just before cooking.

• Like 4

Our favourites so far are things that we love with the meat removed such as : broccoli quinoa Casserole, vegetable pot Pie(we use great Northern beans) with biscuit topping. This time of year we love lentil soup or veg(broccoli or tomato) soup, tempeh stir fry/fried rice.

• Like 1

I often recommend the recipes by Dr Rupy Aujla. 

https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes?_sft_recipe-diets=vegetarian

Meera Sodha is good too. I like her daily dal

http://meerasodha.com/daily-dal/

This is really good too

https://www.falklandkitchenfarm.co.uk/recipes2/2020/6/10/slu89r1wfvw3nnvvlslgi05lgf5ppy

I haven't cooked this yet but I find silken tofu to be a really good ingredient - and cheap!

https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/smokey-sweetcorn-and-tofu-fritters#

• Like 2

Meals in frequent rotation here:

Southwest quinoa salad: quinoa, black beans, roasted corn (thawed from frozen), diced tomatoes/peppers/cucumbers/green onions, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, Mexican-style seasoning to taste, top with sliced avocado and toasted pepitas 

Pasta: sautée mushrooms, cannellini beans, kale, red peppers, and artichoke hearts in olive oil with lots of garlic and herbs, toss with whole grain pasta and top with capers, toasted pine nuts, and fresh basil

Stir-fry: shiitake mushrooms, bok choi, peppers, carrots, and tofu, tossed with soba noodles and a ginger-garlic-miso sauce, top with sesame seeds and green onions

Curry: chickpeas, spinach, roasted cauliflower & sweet potatoes, onions, tomatoes, coconut milk, lots of garlic, ginger, and spices, serve with brown basmati rice

Lentil soup w/homemade WW sourdough. I generally either do brown lentils w/onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic, and fresh thyme, or red lentils w/onions, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, tomatoes, and spices like turmeric, cumin, garam masala.

Buddha bowl w/mixed grains (quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, black rice, etc.), garlicky sautéed kale or spinach, assorted roasted veg (asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, etc.), roasted chickpeas or crispy basked tofu, drizzled with a simple maple-lemon-tahini sauce

For a high-protein breakfast I like overnight oats with chia seeds, vanilla soy milk, cinnamon, a little maple syrup, and fresh berries or chopped apple or pear

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I LOVE red beans and rice or refried beans over rice.  One kid will enjoy it with me, but the other is not a fan of the bean.  It's so delicious.  I cannot relate.

I make a baked rice with brown basmati, green and red peppers, tomato, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and either chicken or veggie broth. Then before serving add black beans with a bit of chili powder and top with cilantro. For those eating dairy, a bit of sour cream or Greek yogurt and cheese is an option. Although others in the family will eat it, they don’t love it like I do.

• Like 2

Jackfruit BBQ sandwiches. Even the men folk eat ‘em without complaint.

2 cans of jackfruit in water, drained, rinsed, chopped

2 Tbs BBQ rub/seasoning

2-3 Tbs neutral oil 

2 Tbs liquid smoke

1/2 cup BBQ sauce

1/8 cup water

I mix the first four in a bowl and put them in a 450 degree oven until it dries out and chars on the ends. Remove, add BBQ sauce and water. 

I serve it just like pulled pork with brioche buns, slaw and chips. Today, I used shredded daikon, carrot, celery, and lettuce for the slaw since it’s what I had on hand. DH added watermelon rind pickles (similar to bread and butter) and DS added dill. Both added a slice of cheddar cheese.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/aloo-palak/

I also like variations on beans and rice as others have mentioned. I like making rice, adding black beans, and "The Shizzle" sauce, sometimes sliced avocado and diced tomatoes on top, alongside roasted pineapple chunks sprinkled with cinnamon.

http://theshizzlesauce.com/shizzle-411/

Ok, this thread is making me hungry. 😂

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

2 cans of jackfruit in water, drained, rinsed, chopped

Okay,  I feel really stupid, but I had no idea you could get jackfruit in a can.  Is it found at the regular grocery store or Trader Joe's or only at specialty stores.  Where in the store do I look for it?

2 hours ago, Ditto said:

Okay,  I feel really stupid, but I had no idea you could get jackfruit in a can.  Is it found at the regular grocery store or Trader Joe's or only at specialty stores.  Where in the store do I look for it?

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have it in my area.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 12:54 AM, KungFuPanda said:

People with more skill than me can do all the veggies in one wok-load without dumping but it hurts my feelings to have soggy veggies so I'm extra careful.  

This is how I was taught in China to make fried rice - each element made separately and combined at the end. Otherwise the elements just get steamed.

We are another beans-and-rice family, although it is really legumes-and-grains as we will use any combo of the two.  I use no recipe, just whatever legume and grain I have and whatever produce looks good at the market.  In summer this can be cold black beans and cubed polenta tossed with greens and dressing to make a salad.  In winter, it can be spelt and kidney beans baked with hearty greens and canned tomatoes, "hot dish" style.  Top with dressing, avocado, pickled veggies, etc.....  We eat some variation of legume-and-grain several times a week.

My winter favorite is making up huge pans of roasted veggies (rutabaga, beets, brussel sprouts, celeriac, potato, carrot, etc....).  I will make several days worth at one time.  These can be served on grain (millet is out favorite), served under fried/poached eggs or avocado slices, just plain as a side, or wrapped with greens in a tortilla.  If you eat dairy, blue cheese crumbles are a great pair.  If not, a tahini-miso or a toasted sesame oil dressing drizzled over really ties it all together.  We also like chopped walnuts on top of these.  The possibilities are endless.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ditto said:

I can find it at my local Asian grocer but Amazon has it. I’ve never looked for it at TJs but I’m sure they sell it.

I, too, am grieved by soggy veggies. I will not eat them. I add veggies to my fried rice (wok) in such a way that it’s not an issue but…yeah. Soggy/over cooked veggies are of the devil. I’m afraid I’ve raised at least one child who feels likewise. God bless his spouse. Fortunately, I’ve also been teaching him to cook.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Stacia said:

https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/aloo-palak/

I also like variations on beans and rice as others have mentioned. I like making rice, adding black beans, and "The Shizzle" sauce, sometimes sliced avocado and diced tomatoes on top, alongside roasted pineapple chunks sprinkled with cinnamon.

http://theshizzlesauce.com/shizzle-411/

Ok, this thread is making me hungry. 😂

Where do you get The Shizzle?  I think my husband would really like it, but it isn't sold anywhere near me.

22 minutes ago, thewellerman said:

Where do you get The Shizzle?  I think my husband would really like it, but it isn't sold anywhere near me.

Whole Foods carries it.

I want to say I once bought it at Publix but I am not 100% sure if I am remembering that correctly. 

It's in the section with other sauces like bbq sauce. 

The regular version has a kick. The voodoo version is very very hot, imo. 

Ok, what's a good recipe for eggroll-in-a-bowl?  I've never made it. I've made eggrolls before but it's a whole deal.  I think it would be easier to do the bowl thing and maybe fry up some eggroll wrapper strips as a topping.  I'm not trying to make it healthy or keto or anything.  I just want the flavors without the work.  I also have some napa cabbages in my garden that I need to harvest.