Menu

Gift ideas for a mom with Alzheimer's?

Alicia64

My mom is 77 and she's still at home. My dad takes care of her.

Last year I sent slipper socks. I also have sent a huge clock so she can tell time, but I don't think she'd know what the numbers mean at this point.

I feel weird just sending my dad a gift and nothing for her.

TIA!

Edited by Alicia64
typo

• Alicia64 changed the title to Gift ideas for a mom with Alzheimer's?

Comfort items—blankets, lotion, etc. 

Not sure where she is re: progression but big hits here have been things like a photo album with large labels under each photo. One of her family home, one of each sibling, all the families, etc. Another hit is something like a kids’ sensory box, but with items that your mom would associate with her past—sewing bits and bobs, whatever her interests may have been. Those boxes can be good for sorting and feeling, or emptying on the bed and organizing, making conversation.

Framed photos from her life with you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

She might enjoy more super soft slipper socks. MIL loved a cute stuffed animal that she could hold, a warm, textured throw, and oddly enough, I made her some dining scarfs out of beautiful fabric. FIL put one on her for meals and it keeps her clothes clean. But it looked pretty and wasn’t a bib. Easily washable. She loved those things! I think to her it felt like ‘getting ready’ for a meal, like kind of like dressed up. 

• Like 2

Activity ideas:

coloring books and very simple coloring pages

nail polish (if your dad has the dexterity)

Music from her teens or 20s for dancing if she is still mobile

a basket with movies and snacks

oddly—play doh was a hit at the memory care unit my relative was in—as a bonus it keeps up finger dexterity

audiobooks—she may not be able to follow the narrative, but a good reader voice is soothing and it can keep your dad entertained 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Annie G said:

She might enjoy more super soft slipper socks. MIL loved a cute stuffed animal that she could hold, a warm, textured throw, and oddly enough, I made her some dining scarfs out of beautiful fabric. FIL put one on her for meals and it keeps her clothes clean. But it looked pretty and wasn’t a bib. Easily washable. She loved those things! I think to her it felt like ‘getting ready’ for a meal, like kind of like dressed up. 

I think the dining scarf is a lovely idea. Did you use a pattern that you could share?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eagleynne said:

Music, especially something from her youth. Lots of dementia patients respond very favorably to music from their youth. Could you send some CDs?

If she grew up going to church, hymns are also well received. Recordings are fairly easy to find.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I think the dining scarf is a lovely idea. Did you use a pattern that you could share?

Every pattern I saw was way too big for my tiny mil. I ended up making my own pattern, about 9 inches wide , tapering to about 5 inches in the middle, then back to about 9. That way when it went around her neck it wasn’t bulky. Those were cut sizes, so it includes seam allowances.  Rounded the corners a bit.  Just measure from lap around neck and back to lap. Super easy. Pretty floral fabric delighted her, and I put bumpy minky on the back of some to absorb liquids. She loved fidgeting with the bumpy minky. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Annie G said:

Every pattern I saw was way too big for my tiny mil. I ended up making my own pattern, about 9 inches wide , tapering to about 5 inches in the middle, then back to about 9. That way when it went around her neck it wasn’t bulky. Those were cut sizes, so it includes seam allowances.  Rounded the corners a bit.  Just measure from lap around neck and back to lap. Super easy. Pretty floral fabric delighted her, and I put bumpy minky on the back of some to absorb liquids. She loved fidgeting with the bumpy minky. 

It is so easy to honor the dignity of other people. 

• Like 4