Menu

Mass casualty event in Waukesha, Wisconsin

AbcdeDooDah

7 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Do we have any idea as to who did this or why? 

At least 40 injured, 5 killed as SUV drives into holiday parade (msn.com)

The police chief said the "person of interest" was in custody.

He said the scene was safe and there were no ongoing threats.

It's not clear why the driver plowed into the parade crowds or if there were any additional suspects still at-large.

Some places - I saw it on Newsweek - have identified the suspect, who apparently had just Friday been in trouble with police over a domestic assault case and also had some sort of outstanding gun-related charges.

I've seen nothing about motive on any sites, though I did read that it didn't appear to have a connection with the Rittenhouse verdict. Dh mentioned this morning that some places are saying that the suspect was a BLM supporter, but... a small holiday parade has nothing really do with BLM or white supremacy so if that's true, I'm thinking it's just a coincidence. Even murderers sometimes have political views. Of course, who knows. Misguided people do horrible things sometimes.

• Sad 2

The article I read said he was out on $1,000 bail.  I would like to know why $1,000 bail was considered appropriate for a guy with the charges and criminal history this guy had before he did this.

It does sound like this was not pre-planned, but I'm not gonna call it an accident either.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

The article I read said he was out on $1,000 bail.  I would like to know why $1,000 bail was considered appropriate for a guy with the charges and criminal history this guy had before he did this.

It does sound like this was not pre-planned, but I'm not gonna call it an accident either.

I watched some videos.  Hitting one person may have been an accident.  Continuing to plow through an entire group of dancing grannies, a dance team and a high school band at high speed is not an accident.

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, SKL said:

They had another big trial going and couldn't fulfill the right to a speedy trial, so they lowered it to something he could pay.

His "domestic violence" was running over his child's mother on Nov 2nd.

The DA now admits $1000 bail was too low.   (oh - and he wants to get rid of cash bail for "minor" offenses.  - so trying to run over someone - who also happens to be the mother of your child - is now a "minor" offense.)

The AG's office released this: 

1. 'The bail recommendation in this case is not consistent with the approach of the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office toward matters involving violent crime, nor was it consistent with the risk assessment of the defendant prior to setting of bail. 
  2. 'This office is currently conducting an internal review of the decision to make the recent bail recommendation in this matter in order to determine the appropriate next steps,' the statement said. 

I frequently see a lot of complaining about low bail after this type of stuff happens - but beforehand, people often complain about a high bail for black men for domestic violence. (or other felony offenses.)

There's a reason there's a joke about restraining orders meaning after the ex violates it and kills you, they can be charged with violating it.  (I know a woman whose name doesn't even appear in the local church congregation directory to hide her from her ex - and her father who took his side.)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

Here is an article from September addressing the backlog.  This is not a one-off case and It's not due to the jails being full of non-violent offenders.

https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/2021/09/18/milwaukee-county-criminal-courts/?amp=1&fbclid=IwAR1BLug5dM6a7V2mF6K59rIdOCQQeTfw8JdJ8MfUlM8uXWxrjRH7MC1FbQw

DH used to work near where this happened.  He's been beside himself all day.  Lemanski's comments about karma for Rittenhouse just about sent him off he deep end.  I'm glad to see she realized she's a stupid b* and resigned.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Here is an article from September addressing the backlog.  This is not a one-off case and It's not due to the jails being full of non-violent offenders.

https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/2021/09/18/milwaukee-county-criminal-courts/?amp=1&fbclid=IwAR1BLug5dM6a7V2mF6K59rIdOCQQeTfw8JdJ8MfUlM8uXWxrjRH7MC1FbQw

DH used to work near where this happened.  He's been beside himself all day.  Lemanski's comments about karma for Rittenhouse just about sent him off he deep end.  I'm glad to see she realized she's a stupid b* and resigned.

Those comments were disgusting. No child has 'blood on her hands' for the Rittenhouse verdict. 

Luckily her resignation was swift. 

• Like 4

On 11/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, gardenmom5 said:

I frequently see a lot of complaining about low bail after this type of stuff happens - but beforehand, people often complain about a high bail for black men for domestic violence. (or other felony offenses.)

No, they don't. Most people complain that domestic abusers are released far too quickly, creating increased risk for the victim.

What many people do complain about is high bail for nonviolent crimes, like drug possession and traffic offenses, because keeping poor people in jail for minor offenses often creates a domino effect that pushes that person, and often his or her family, further into poverty and even homelessness due to job loss, lost income, inability to pay rent and other bills, etc. And although the problem affects people of every color, studies consistently show that black defendants are more likely to be required to post cash bail than white defendants, they are assigned higher bail than white defendants for similar offenses, and they are less likely to be able to pay the bail and more likely to be held in custody until trial. Often they end up spending more time in jail awaiting trial than they would be sentenced to even if convicted. 

Believing that poor people should not be held in jail for months for nonviolent and often minor offenses is not remotely the same as thinking that people who commit violent crimes that endanger the lives of others should be given low or no bail.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

The purpose of bail is not to stop people from committing crimes. It's to ensure they show up in court. And the alternative is to hold people who are innocent until proven guilty until trial, which is obviously not okay either because a lot of people would be held for too long. 

If we're looking at things that could have prevented this, I don't think bail is the place to look. First, I'd look at whether we're appropriately assessing domestic violence offenders as real threats.

But also, I'd look at whether there were ways for police to de-escalate the chase after the knife fight. 

I read an interesting piece about how stopping people from using their cars as weapons is actually one of the most difficult things to prevent in terms of threats. It was really disheartening and sad.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Farrar said:

The purpose of bail is not to stop people from committing crimes. It's to ensure they show up in court. And the alternative is to hold people who are innocent until proven guilty until trial, which is obviously not okay either because a lot of people would be held for too long. 

If we're looking at things that could have prevented this, I don't think bail is the place to look. First, I'd look at whether we're appropriately assessing domestic violence offenders as real threats.

But also, I'd look at whether there were ways for police to de-escalate the chase after the knife fight. 

I read an interesting piece about how stopping people from using their cars as weapons is actually one of the most difficult things to prevent in terms of threats. It was really disheartening and sad.

The spokesman for the police said there was no chase after a knife incident. In fact the police were not called about that incident until after the murders. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

The purpose of bail is not to stop people from committing crimes. It's to ensure they show up in court. 

But judges can also refuse bail if the suspect is considered a danger to the public. This guy had accrued multiply felony charges in a fairly short period of time, for punching and running over a woman with his car and for trying to shoot a relative during an argument, plus he was a convicted sex offender. And even if the judge somehow thought all of that didn't make him a danger to the public, one of felony counts filed against him on November 5th was for bail jumping! He posted bail in Nevada on charges of failing to register as a sex offender and then fled the state. The fact that someone with current pending charges for bail jumping was given a super low bail is nuts.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Corraleno said:

But judges can also refuse bail if the suspect is considered a danger to the public. This guy had accrued multiply felony charges in a fairly short period of time, for punching and running over a woman with his car and for trying to shoot a relative during an argument, plus he was a convicted sex offender. And even if the judge somehow thought all of that didn't make him a danger to the public, one of felony counts filed against him on November 5th was for bail jumping! He posted bail in Nevada on charges of failing to register as a sex offender and then fled the state. The fact that someone with current pending charges for bail jumping was given a super low bail is nuts.

I agree the bail was low.  Wisconsin requires everyone to be given bail by law. 

• Like 1

• AbcdeDooDah changed the title to Mass casualty event in Waukesha, Wisconsin