Menu

Do you wear Sorels?

theelfqueen

No.  I think they are effective but butt ugly.

I have always said, shoot me now if I ever buy Sorrels or a full length down coat.  Warm or not, I don’t want to be seen in them.  

Having said that, DH loves his because they keep his feet so warm and he has fairly wide feet.  For instance, Keen’s fit him well and are always too wide for me, while Teva’s fit me great but are too narrow for him.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

They make cute ones too.....or perhaps that is in the eye of the beholder.  I can't say if they run narrow.  I do have a pair and have had several over the years and don't find their fit to be different than the other brands I have worn.

1 minute ago, MooCow said:

I feel really out of it, what's a sorrel? I'm assuming it's some type of shoe or jacket....?

Canadian boot company that has been around forever.  They used to be known for their warm non-nonsense winter boots.  They have recently become a bit trendy but still carry the warm functional boot as well.

• Thanks 1

No different than most boots, not especially narrow.

That said, I wear men's Sorels.  Because loose, roomy boots are the key to warm feet. 

I also have a full length down coat, LOL.

It's all ugly, but I don't care.  My goal is warmth, not fashion.

• Like 5

I own Sorels I bought some 25+ years ago. I loathe them (omg they are so ugly and utilitarian) but they will.not.wear.out. It’s maddening. Lol

A few years ago I overrode my natural instincts to keep everything past their prime and replaced them—perfectly good as they are— with a pair of Keens. My feet are much warmer (the Sorels I have run wide, leaving too much air space around my feet— brrrr) and definitely cuter. 🙂 

They make different styles now, though. Whatever I have is all there was the standard at the time.

• Like 2

I have sorels (among other boots) and a full length down coat.  I live in Minnesota and I care a whole lot more about functionality and warmth than look in the winter.  🙄🤷‍♀️  I walked outside almost every day last winter in that coat.  I mostly used my spiked boots once we had snow and ice, but the sorels worked great too.

Anyway, I typically go half to a full size larger in my boots.  Trying a men's size is a great idea to get a little more width.  It is good to try them on if you can.  When I have to order I just try to stick to places with easy and free return policies.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, wathe said:

No different than most boots, not especially narrow.

That said, I wear men's Sorels.  Because loose, roomy boots are the key to warm feet. 

I also have a full length down coat, LOL.

It's all ugly, but I don't care.  My goal is warmth, not fashion.

When I assumed this position wrt full length down coats, you could still buy very warm long dress coats from a Canadian department store that has since been bought by Macy's and shut down.  Alas, I am no longer a size 10, or I could still wear that 3/8 inch thick lama wool coat with the quilted lining AND a chamois interlayer between coat and lining from mid-thigh up to the collar.  It's a crime that they are no longer made, LOL.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I have sorels (among other boots) and a full length down coat.  I live in Minnesota and I care a whole lot more about functionality and warmth than look in the winter.  🙄🤷‍♀️  I walked outside almost every day last winter in that coat.  I mostly used my spiked boots once we had snow and ice, but the sorels worked great too.

Anyway, I typically go half to a full size larger in my boots.  Trying a men's size is a great idea to get a little more width.  It is good to try them on if you can.  When I have to order I just try to stick to places with easy and free return policies.  

Eons ago DH and I worked at REI in the Twin Cities, that’s where my Sorels-that-won’t-die are from. And my Northface fleece jacket that has the same “problem”. Lol. Both saw me through lots of Minnesota winters; I still miss seeing the ice crystals in the air at night. 🙂 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Eons ago DH and I worked at REI in the Twin Cities, that’s where my Sorels-that-won’t-die are from. And my Northface fleece jacket that has the same “problem”. Lol. Both saw me through lots of Minnesota winters; I still miss seeing the ice crystals in the air at night. 🙂 

Aww ... we are huge fans of our local REIs, that is so fun!  😍  And I've had my Sorels from REI for MANY many moons at this point lol. 

REI is a great place to buy gear, they have a great return/exchange policy!  ❤️  We live just a few miles from one of them conveniently.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I own Sorels I bought some 25+ years ago. I loathe them (omg they are so ugly and utilitarian) but they will.not.wear.out. It’s maddening. Lol

I wore out the sole of the Sorel boots that I bought from Sports Basement about a decade ago. I think mine was meant for walking and I used them for hiking.

1 hour ago, MooCow said:

I feel really out of it, what's a sorrel? I'm assuming it's some type of shoe or jacket....?

shoes https://www.sorel.com/

1 hour ago, theelfqueen said:

Do they run narrow?

I've been eyeing some that are pull on... but I worry about the width issue.

This one is relatively narrow https://www.sorel.com/p/womens-evie-sport-lace-bootie -1915891.html?dwvar_1915891_color=011&pos=16

For pull ons, I prefer the guys boots because they have a roomier toe room and ankle room. I have narrow feet but a normal size ankle.

• Thanks 1

I had a pair of Sorels from late high school until last year, so about 20 years.  I replaced them with another pair in pull on style.  I don't find them narrow.  In other brands I often find myself on the fence between regular and wide sizes, so I don't think I have narrow feet.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have always said, shoot me now if I ever buy Sorrels or a full length down coat.  Warm or not, I don’t want to be seen in them.  

Having said that, DH loves his because they keep his feet so warm and he has fairly wide feet.  For instance, Keen’s fit him well and are always too wide for me, while Teva’s fit me great but are too narrow for him.

I wear these, I think they look just like any combat style  boot:

https://www.saksoff5th.com/product/sorel-emelie-conquest-boots-0400015442767.html?site_refer=CSE_GGLPLA:Womens_Shoes:Sorel&country=US&currency=USD&CSE_CID=G_Off+5th_PLA_SSC_Women's+Shoes:Women's+Shoes&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-K2MBhC-ARIsAMtLKRt8py3DZM9UyAJMSf5U4pu1NKdJVT-mAcVBhBVp6iZDUKjaSUVrGYgaAjroEALw_wcB

Eta OP I don’t think they run narrow 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, history-fan said:

I grew up wearing sorrel boots however have switched to Baffin boots. Baffin is still made in Canada. Also have my eye on mukluks.  I did notice a change in sorel several years ago when they were bought out. I like the fit of Baffin better than The new Sorels

I think my Baffins are very warm.  They also feel wide to me.  Very flat in the sole though--when I used to need arch support it would just about kill my feet to wear them.  But now that I don't have PF anymore they are pretty comfortable too.

I wear Sorels and the ones I have, I bought specifically because they are wide and have zero drop. But, they are more of a bootie slipper style and I couldn't find them to link in the "favorite things" thread a week or two ago, so I assume are no longer available in that specific style, which makes me sad. 😢

But, I happened to catch a shot of them just before I left the house the other day when DD asked me what the cat was doing outside her bedroom and I snapped a photo to send to her.

DFCCD0B1-0148-40D3-888C-00D99CBDF097.jpeg

I also have them in this color, and a black & white pair. 

3560E22D-8803-4E33-B9D1-EA8C70BC2F52.png

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, skimomma said:

They make cute ones too.....or perhaps that is in the eye of the beholder.  I can't say if they run narrow.  I do have a pair and have had several over the years and don't find their fit to be different than the other brands I have worn.

I've probably had mine for about 30 years and talk about butt-ugly!  But I need them for deep snow quite often and they are roomier than the cute ones they make these days. To me, the newer ones are definitely more streamlined in the calf, and I don't need fashion boots to be out shoveling or walking the dog.    But, I do need a new pair of boots...need something warm and high.  So, listening in...