Menu

J&J Covid Vaccine has a symptom of high heart rate in young people

ElizabethB

Just wanted to let everyone know, since that's listed as a "go to ER" symptom. Our daughter got a high heart rate and other normal flu like reactions 5 hours after the vaccine. She took it yesterday so we couldn't go to our doctor instead of the ER.

The ER doctor said they've been seeing that symptom a lot, especially in younger patients. Interestingly, she also said that overall older patients seem to have less strong symptoms than the younger crowd. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

14 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Thank you for sharing, I was hoping to get J vaccine for Dd since it’s one shot and so far (?) no reports of allergic reactions (she has food allergies). Did the ER doctor have to do anything other than observe your Dd?

She gave an EKG and checked out her throat and lymph nodes, she said based on things she observed that it wasn't an allergic reaction. Worry about an allergic reaction was why we went in. She said she had been seeing a lot of young patients come in, but none of them had been serious, but many were worried with the high heart rate. 

Given my allergies I'm holding out for J&J too but will wait a while and see, Covid rates are low here now.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for posting this.  Do you mind telling us how high her heart rate was and how long it lasted.

For me, I'm signed up for the J&J this coming week, but I'm also curious since that's the one I think my college-aged ds will be willing to take.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

Thank you for posting this.  Do you mind telling us how high her heart rate was and how long it lasted.

For me, I'm signed up for the J&J this coming week, but I'm also curious since that's the one I think my college-aged ds will be willing to take.

I was between 120 to 135 starting 5 hours after the vaccine, the rest of the evening after that. I'm not sure if it's gone down this morning, the doctor said not to worry about it since her EKG was normal. This 120 to 135 was while lying in bed resting. She is feeling a bit better this morning but still has a few flu like symptoms.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I had the J&J vaccine (and do not qualify as a young person).  I ran fever between 101 and 102.  I know that my resting heart rate was also elevated.  I seldom run fever, but whenever I have run fever my heart rate has been elevated.  

• Like 5

Interesting. I got mine yesterday, J&J. I’m 42. My pulse is about 15-20 beats higher than average when resting or walking according to my apple watch. Both my pulse and blood pressure tend to be low.

I’m not certain but we think we had Covid in February 2020 (before testing was available). I got a mild dehydration type of headache 10 minutes after the shot. At times since the vaccine I felt like I had a mild flu. At other times I’ve just felt tired. It doesn’t help that this is the worst time of the year for me allergy wise. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Katy said:

Interesting. I got mine yesterday, J&J. I’m 42. My pulse is about 15-20 beats higher than average when resting or walking according to my apple watch. Both my pulse and blood pressure tend to be low.

I’m not certain but we think we had Covid in February 2020 (before testing was available). I got a mild dehydration type of headache 10 minutes after the shot. At times since the vaccine I felt like I had a mild flu. At other times I’ve just felt tired. It doesn’t help that this is the worst time of the year for me allergy wise. 

She had Covid previously but wanted to get the vaccine anyway. People's reactions do seem stronger for 2nd vaccine and/or if you previously had Covid.

• Like 4

I don't think any of the Janssen (J&J) vaccine has arrived in Colombia yet, but at the moment, that's #3 on my list, if I have a choice. An elderly cousin in CA had the Janssen vaccine on April 1st.  She wrote me this morning that she has had a fever and some other symptoms but is doing OK.

One thing I like about the Janssen vaccine is that I read last year (in June?) that they had about 500  people here in Cali, Colombia participating in the Trials.  Another thing, very recently, I watched a video, twice, that was in the Google News Feed. That explained why one should not compare the efficiacy of the vaccines.   Their Trials were done at different times and were not the same so one is comparing Apples to Oranges.  They all work well. The Janssen vaccine was the last one in trials and recently there are several COVID variants out there so the Janssen vaccine has some stats about how it did with the variants.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DoraBora said:

@Bootsie How long did your symptoms last?  If not too long, that might be encouraging - a good immune response(?)!

... and thank you for sharing!

I had the J&J vaccine about 11:30 am.  By 7:00pm I was having chills and running fever; through the night my temperature was 101-102.  My heart rate was elevated through the night.  My fever was normal the next day but I had a headache throughout the day.  I felt a bit worn-out for the next 24 hours and winded trying to climb stairs or other exertion for the next few days--much like after having a flu.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bootsie said:

I had the J&J vaccine about 11:30 am.  By 7:00pm I was having chills and running fever; through the night my temperature was 101-102.  My heart rate was elevated through the night.  My fever was normal the next day but I had a headache throughout the day.  I felt a bit worn-out for the next 24 hours and winded trying to climb stairs or other exertion for the next few days--much like after having a flu.  

Do you ever experience any side effects with a flu vaccine?

3 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Do you ever experience any side effects with a flu vaccine?

I had the flu vaccine this past fall--and nothing--did not even fill the injection.

The previous year I had the injection site swell and was red, painful to the touch, and hot for four days after the flu vaccine (but did not feel ill).

I don't recall any flu vaccine side effects at other times.

(I have had a severe allergic reaction to IV administered phenergan)

• Thanks 1

Interesting!  I had the Pfizer vaccine yesterday (#2), and this morning, my heart was strangely racing, and I almost passed out twice.  I ended up lying on the floor for about 2 hours until it passed.  I was surprised though, because I hadn't heard of that as a symptom.  I'm feeling mostly fine now, just a little tired.  No one else I know of has had the racing heart with any of the vaccines.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

Just wanted to let everyone know, since that's listed as a "go to ER" symptom. Our daughter got a high heart rate and other normal flu like reactions 5 hours after the vaccine. She took it yesterday so we couldn't go to our doctor instead of the ER.

The ER doctor said they've been seeing that symptom a lot, especially in younger patients. Interestingly, she also said that overall older patients seem to have less strong symptoms than the younger crowd. 

Both Ds and I got mild tachycardia with our respective vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) but I didn't think anything of it. It's a go-to reaction for both of our bodies so I just figured our immune system was working. Interestingly, I have a heart rate tracker and you could see the graph where my heart rate went from in the 90's in the middle of the night at about the 36hr mark and dropped into my normal low-70's. It was like a time stamp of when my immune system went back to normal post-vaccine.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

I was between 120 to 135 starting 5 hours after the vaccine, the rest of the evening after that. I'm not sure if it's gone down this morning, the doctor said not to worry about it since her EKG was normal. This 120 to 135 was while lying in bed resting. She is feeling a bit better this morning but still has a few flu like symptoms.

Yep, that's right where ds and I were sitting. He at 130 and I was more like 120's when I was awake. I dropped into the 90's when I was sleeping.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

I don't think any of the Janssen (J&J) vaccine has arrived in Colombia yet, but at the moment, that's #3 on my list, if I have a choice. An elderly cousin in CA had the Janssen vaccine on April 1st.  She wrote me this morning that she has had a fever and some other symptoms but is doing OK.

One thing I like about the Janssen vaccine is that I read last year (in June?) that they had about 500  people here in Cali, Colombia participating in the Trials.  Another thing, very recently, I watched a video, twice, that was in the Google News Feed. That explained why one should not compare the efficiacy of the vaccines.   Their Trials were done at different times and were not the same so one is comparing Apples to Oranges.  They all work well. The Janssen vaccine was the last one in trials and recently there are several COVID variants out there so the Janssen vaccine has some stats about how it did with the variants.

Yes, I figured it was comparing apples & oranges too.  But I've had a history of severe food allergies, autoimmune issues, and severe reactions to three vaccines, so I figured the one & done was definitely best for me.  It was a long drive to get to the vaccine place that was offering it, but totally worth it for me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

DH says his heart rate was high after he got the Moderna shot (he's only had one dose).  He wouldn't have noticed except the chime for his exercise ring on his apple watch around 10am. He hadn't exercised at all that day, just went up & down the stairs in our house like normal.

His heart rate never got scary high, just consistently in the 120-130's range with any exertion at all.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Katy said:

DH says his heart rate was high after he got the Moderna shot (he's only had one dose).  He wouldn't have noticed except the chime for his exercise ring on his apple watch around 10am. He hadn't exercised at all that day, just went up & down the stairs in our house like normal.

His heart rate never got scary high, just consistently in the 120-130's range with any exertion at all.

So Dd has an Apple Watch which she hasn’t worn for a year due to not going anywhere, but it’s definitely what she should wear during the vaccine and afterwards.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

Interesting that this is so prevalent with all the vaccines, and for some people, for other things as well. Probably a lot more people tracking their heart rates now, too, with Apple Watches and other devices.

Reading up, it sounds as if eleveated heart rates are common with fever.  I do think more people are aware of their heart rate now with Garmins, Apple Watches, and other measuring devices.  When we treated fever years ago at home with a thermometer as the main measuring tool, I think we felt "ill" but were not so aware of an increasing heart rate.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

Oh, this is good to know.  My kids are only eligible for Pfizer, but my oldest has issues with tachycardia anyway.  

Same. Just FYI, the Pfizer triggered his arrhythmia several times over the next day or two, which was clearly vaccine related as he rarely gets it that often. It was no big deal, but maybe just something to know.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Lanny said:

Another thing, very recently, I watched a video, twice, that was in the Google News Feed. That explained why one should not compare the efficiacy of the vaccines.   Their Trials were done at different times and were not the same so one is comparing Apples to Oranges.  

You can make an "apples to apples" comparison if you just look at the US data for the vaccines, and exclude J&J's trials in the UK and SA where the variants were circulating. These stats are based on US data alone:

J&J =  72% efficacy against moderate to severe disease in US trials, 4 weeks after the single dose

Moderna = 95% efficacy against any symptomatic disease 2 weeks after 2nd dose (so 6 weeks from the 1st dose).

Pfizer = Data from the CDC showed 80% efficacy against even asymptomatic infection 2 weeks after the 1st dose, and 90% efficacy against asymptomatic infection 2 weeks after the 2nd dose.  Data from Israel showed 94% efficacy against asymptomatic infection and 97% against symptomatic illness 2 weeks after the 2nd dose.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

OP this thread is of interest to me, because 2 or 3 days ago, I read in the subReddit for Carolina that they are going to begin vaccinating students this week, with the Janssen (J&J( COVID-19 vacccine.    They expect to receive at least 2000 doses.  My DD is home this semester, taking courses that are all "Online" so she isn't there, but I am sure she will need to be vaccinated before she returns to UNC and possibly by then a vaccination will be required for airline flights too.

Note to anyone in NC:  In the thread in the subReddit it says all adults in NC will be eligible for vaccination starting on April 7th.

To the best of my knowledge and belief none of the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine has arrived here in Colombia as of today, but it is one of the 5 (?) vaccines Colombia has purchased. It's #3 on my list of vaccine I would like to receive. if I have a choice. In this order: Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna, Janssen, Sinovac (from China).  I deleted the AstraZeneca vaccine from my list because of all of the issues, but it too is probably OK.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bootsie said:

My ds had a very similar experience with J&J.  Vaccine around noon (yesterday) then fever/aches/headache and alternating between hot and cold all night.  I checked with him this morning and he's still feeling lousy.  I'll check on him again tonight.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1