Menu

Why is my cat meowing???

This is our first cat and we’ve had her for about three years. She’s about 9 years old. She usually meows every now and then but about an hour ago she started meowing and just keeps doing so every few minutes. She ate like normal this morning, seems to be using her litter box like normal, and is fine with us petting her but she keeps meowing at us. Vet is closed till tomorrow and a snow storm is moving in tonight so unsure about getting in tomorrow (with Covid it’s been difficult to get any appointments anyway). Help!

She is spayed.

We’re in the Midwest so cold and snow are normal but the most snow of this season is supposedly what we’re getting over the next two days. I do think today is colder than it’s been most of this winter. We’ve never noticed a difference with the weather with her before and it’s been much colder.

Just tried to give her a treat and she ate it fine.

Do you have an emergency vet in the area? I went to one for the first time a few months ago, and it was a great experience. A bit more expensive but not as crazy as I thought it would be.

Cats always have problems on weekends, holidays, or in the middle of the night. It's like a cat law!

Hopefully it's nothing 🙂 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

This is what I’m afraid of and have no idea what to do about it. The vets here have been more than difficult to get into during Covid. 

Is there an emergency vet where you live? Or a vet on call at the practice that you go to? You could call and describe what she’s doing and see what they advise.

Could be a change of weather pressure. Our kitties sometimes get antsy or weird before a storm or major change in weather. Also they get crazy around the full moon, as I’ve posted previously.

Is someone occupying the space kitty wants to be in? One of ours lets us know in no uncertain terms if we are sitting where she wants to be. Sometimes it takes awhile for us to catch on. 

Is there a toy she wants to play with? A game she wants you to participate in? Kitties can be very demanding, as you well know. Is she acting differently than she usually does when she wants something specific from you, or you just not able to figure it out? We have one that won’t give up until we’ve tried everything and then some. 

Not to sound cold-hearted, but I would not be at the emergency vet for a cat that is eating, using the litterbox, and letting me pet her.

I get that this is unusual for her, but cats can be random and weird. Maybe she smells a mouse - we have cats who would stalk a mouse, and we have cats who would meow at us relentlessly to catch it ourselves 😄

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

She ate some more food and went to her favorite hiding place (a pocket she made underneath the couch). So, we’re just going to wait and see. She’s always been such a quiet cat so it startled all of us to hear her constant meowing.

She has boxes all over the house courtesy of dd. She has never liked toys as pretty much any noise scares her so she just plays with strings and pieces of paper. 

I'm a die hard cat person, but cats can be jerks. My cats act weird all the dang time. She could be too cold, too hot, she could smell something (bird, mouse, bug) somewhere, she could be thirsty, hungry, she could be sensing the weather changing or just trying to get your attention.

Did I mention cats can be jerks? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sometimes cats meow and lose their minds over visiting outdoor cats. Mind will pace back and forth in windows hoping they will magically open so they can kill or maim the intruder. Some of our neighborhood cats seeing this display will come right up to the window to watch. Oh boy, the meowing that commences following that would wake the dead.

• Like 2

Kitty wants your spot.  Kitty has decided you should give him turkey.  Kitty wants outside.  Kitty wants you to order him a Yeoww catnip banana.  Kitty wants pets.  No, that's too many pets; what are you, an idiot?  Kitty wants a different person to come visit.  Kitty is displeased with current weather/ placement of laundry/ state of food dish.  Kitty can see bottom of food dish.  Kitty would like fresh water, maybe for you to leave the tap running.  Timmy is stuck in a well.  There is a bird outside.  Or another cat.  Or there's a shadow. Or kitty would like there to be a bird outside.  Kitty would like to watch cat tv on the ipad or play the cat fishing game.  

There are many possibilities.  

There is no way in hades I would take a cat that has no signs of illness to the emergency vet because it's meowing.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, kand said:

I have to agree here. As long as she’s eating and eliminating normally and shows no other signs of a problem, I would chalk it up to cats are weird. Under those circumstances, I would wait and make an appointment during normal hours, if that. I don’t know what they would do for her with no indication of a specific problem, and still eating, drinking and eliminating. 

Lots and lots of tests?  

I'll be honest; I wouldn't even take her into a regular vet appointment without a specific concern.  

• Like 1

When you really know an animal, you know when something is up - that it's more than the cat wanting attention or extra food. Having had so many animals over the years, I've learned that when my "worry radar" goes off, it is usually accurate. So if this were my cat and I felt something was "off", I wouldn't hesitate to touch base with a vet - especially with a big storm coming in. 

Not to scare the OP and I hope it is nothing like this, but we had a cat that was about that same age who started meowing unusually and it turned out she was in heart failure.😞

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Selkie said:

When you really know an animal, you know when something is up - that it's more than the cat wanting attention or extra food. Having had so many animals over the years, I've learned that when my "worry radar" goes off, it is usually accurate. So if this were my cat and I felt something was "off", I wouldn't hesitate to touch base with a vet - especially with a big storm coming in. 

Not to scare the OP and I hope it is nothing like this, but we had a cat that was about that same age who started meowing unusually and it turned out she was in heart failure.😞

Yes, I’m calling the vet tomorrow. She’s been with us for three years and is usually very quiet. She hardly ever meows. She does sound like a human stomping up the stairs when she’s hungry but just isn’t a talker. She’s been snoozing most of the day and didn’t bug us for dinner like usual (although she did eat), so I’ll call and see what they say.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joker2 said:

Yes, I’m calling the vet tomorrow. She’s been with us for three years and is usually very quiet. She hardly ever meows. She does sound like a human stomping up the stairs when she’s hungry but just isn’t a talker. She’s been snoozing most of the day and didn’t bug us for dinner like usual (although she did eat), so I’ll call and see what they say.

I hope she's okay. hugs!