Menu

I'm looking for an alternative to aluminum foil to cover bake ware in the oven.

Kareni

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

I use parchment paper then the layer of foil. That doesn't take away the use of foil, but it doesn't touch my food so it's much more likely I can reuse it.

I do have a silicone lid that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond. I don't like it because after a dozen uses, it developed a dark black splotch on it that does not go away with washing (seems like burn damage). I use the above method of layering with parchment paper with a layer of foil on top to separate the aluminum from my food. I do this for other applications as well: e.g. freezing individual servings of foods like burritos or roasting garlic in the oven: I wrap in parchment with a foil wrapping that goes around it.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tap said:

Dd22 uses her silpat to cover baking dishes. She won't use foil due the environmental concerns. I also bought her a Le Creuset covered baking dish so she can has a 9×13 with a cover. 

This is a great idea!
I'm looking for foil alternatives too and wouldn’t have thought of this. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Target sells a *deep* version of some of the baking dishes (9X13, 7X11), so then you could have your food not touch the foil. Doesn't help if you're anti foil, but works if you're wanting to stop the touching. I have several of these deep ones and like them a lot. They seem a bit thinner and more fragile (my perception) than my regular, but they're fine and bake fine. And they're not too $$ which is a perk.

https://www.target.com/p/pyrex-9-34-x13-34-deep-glass-bakeware/-/A-76431266#lnk=sametab

https://www.target.com/p/pyrex-7-34-x11-34-deep-glass-bakeware/-/A-76431329#lnk=sametab

Also, when in doubt, do the right thing and cover with BACON or KETCHUP. :biggrin:  Doesn't help lasagna, but could solve most other problems in life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Also, when in doubt, do the right thing and cover with BACON or KETCHUP. :biggrin:  Doesn't help lasagna, but could solve most other problems in life. 

See, this is where my husband and I clash.  I feel this way about grated sharp cheddar cheese, and he feels this way about corn chips.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

Why are you concerned about doing this with a glass dish?

The dish sits on a hot metal rack already. What am I missing?

Good point!  I don't have any glass and have read stories here about Pyrex(?) exploding if handled wrong.  Since temperature change seems to be the problem that's where my concern comes from.  I have no idea how covered with a pan might effect anything though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

Good point!  I don't have any glass and have read stories here about Pyrex(?) exploding if handled wrong.  Since temperature change seems to be the problem that's where my concern comes from.  I have no idea how covered with a pan might effect anything though!

The cookie sheet on top of the pan would heat up at the same time as the pan itself in the oven.  I would not worry about that.  

• Like 1