Menu

New Year's Eve Menu?

Ali in OR

2 hours ago, Nicholas_mom said:

Do you buy the thin steaks like Steakums?  Dh likes to get the butcher fresh beef that is sliced thin at the supermarket.  But DH's Cheese Steaks are not quite the same as buying it in Philly.  Do you chop up the thin steaks while frying it up in the pan?

I haven't tried Steakums--they didn't look appealing. I've tried the thin sliced eye of round I think. But it doesn't look thin enough and I don't think I cook it well! We're so west coast--I have no personal experience with what makes a good cheese steak. When we went to Boston and NYC in 2016, dd got several cheese steaks that looked and smelled amazing--nothing like what I've been able to do!

• Like 2

All right, I've done my Costco run and I think my plans are complete. I didn't find chicken satay or anything like that, but I did find a bite-sized Korean steak appetizer that should satisfy anyone's desire for some meat. And I think I've decided to do a crockpot of our black bean soup; any leftovers of that are easy to manage--lots of lunch-sized portions to the freezer! So complete menu:

Mimosas and Martinelli's
Korean steak appetizers
Black bean soup blended smooth
Fontina and smoked Gouda crescent roll pinwheels
Layered taco dip with Tostitos scoops
Satsuma mandarins and grapes
Andes mint cookies and/or chocolate birthday cake (these are both hanging out in the freezer)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Amethyst said:

We don't have any plans this year. But when the kids were little, the New Years Baby used to mysteriously drop off a package at some point on New Years Eve. It would have lots of balloons, lots of drinks and snacks, and party hats and noisemakers. 

This is such a great idea!  I wish I had known about it when my kids were little.  What a great tradition.

4 hours ago, Ditto said:

This is such a great idea!  I wish I had known about it when my kids were little.  What a great tradition.

This was originally a tradition in my husband’s family. The first year we were married though, my husband hid the package outside our basement door on his way home from work. A couple hours later, some snow slid off the roof and made a surprisingly loud noise. Startled, I said to dh, “what was that?!”  And he said “I don’t know, let’s go find out”. So we ended up by the basement door and lo and behold there was the package with all the balloons and goodies and party supplies! Ever since, making some loud noise in another room would remind the kids that maybe that was the New Years Baby! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ditto said:

Happy Birthday to her!!  How does she feel about having a birthday between Christmas and NY? 

I think it would be nicer to have a birthday further from Christmas, but it doesn't bother her. I'm glad that her birthday will always fall during her college winter break, so that she can be home to celebrate.

• Like 4

On 12/29/2020 at 10:19 PM, Annie G said:

Collards for two is a pain in the butt. 

Indeed they are! I buy frozen Pictsweet collard greens. They also have turnip greens. They're certainly not quite as good as fresh, but this southern girl thinks they're okay enough given how much easier they are. If you add enough seasoning and cook them to death, of course. 😉 I eat both the collards and turnip greens throughout the year.

• Like 3

On 12/30/2020 at 12:32 AM, Carol in Cal. said:

NYE:  Cheese fondue.  Champagne chilled in snow.  If there is no snow nearby, we have been known to drive around and bring back a 5 gallon bucket full, dump it under a bush, plunk the champagne in for a quick photo, and call it good.  Chocolate pecan pie.

NYD:  Ableskivers.  Bacon.  Hike.  Craft thing (Danish heart baskets this year).  A fire throughout.

Aww, my mother used to make ableskivers about once/week growing up!  They were so good!  I have an ableskiver pan but have never made them.  Do you serve them with jam?

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Indeed they are! I buy frozen Pictsweet collard greens. They also have turnip greens. They're certainly not quite as good as fresh, but this southern girl thinks they're okay enough given how much easier they are. If you add enough seasoning and cook them to death, of course. 😉 I eat both the collards and turnip greens throughout the year.

I didn’t even know frozen was an option!  Thanks! And yeah, with some ham flavored better than bullion I bet the trade off would be worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was just the two of us last night for the first time in a couple of decades, and neither of us felt like doing anything that required much planning or effort. I have recently been encouraging my husband to try various rice-based dishes, and he said something like that sounded good, so I ended up making a wok full of pineapple fried rice with almonds and a bunch of veggies. We then snacked on whatever was in the pantry while binge-watching The Mandalorian and playing Ticket to Ride.

Not sure what today holds, other than probably left-over stir fry for lunch.

• Like 1

Dd made a butterfinger pie and we ended up doing frozen pizza since I didn't feel well. The kids also had some summer sausage leftover from a Christmas gift to dh and some had ice cream. 

I just ate some eggs and toast as that sounded good to me.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 1:29 PM, Annie G said:

I didn’t even know frozen was an option!  Thanks! And yeah, with some ham flavored better than bullion I bet the trade off would be worth it. 

And I didn't know that ham flavored BTB was a thing! Turns out they have lobster! And mushroom! And fish! And others... You rocked my world today. ☺️Thanks so much for posting!

• Like 1