Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW49: This is my Life - William Stanley Braithwaite

Robin M

Happy Sunday and Happy St. Nicholas day, my dears. Do any of you have any traditions or fun activities you do on St. Nick’s day?  This is the day we buy our Christmas tree, start decorating the house and getting into the spirit of the season. The 9th of December is also the anniversary of the advent of the Christmas card,  the brain child of Henry Cole. Time to get started on our annual Christmas missives and writing our Christmas wish lists.   

This is My Life

By

William Stanley Braithwaite

(December 6, 1878- June 8, 1962)

To feed my soul with beauty till I die;
To give my hands a pleasant task to do;
To keep my heart forever filled anew
With dreams and wonders which the days supply;
To love all conscious living, and thereby
Respect the brute who renders up its due,
And know the world as planned is good and true—
And thus —because there chanced to be an I!

This is my life since things are as they are:
One half akin to flowers and the grass:
The rest a law unto the changeless star.
And I believe when I shall come to pass
Within the Door His hand shall hold ajar
I'll leave no echoing whisper of Alas!

William Stanley Braithwaitehis poetry, and electronic text of House of Falling Leaves poetry collection

The 2021 annual challenges are now posted on the 52 books blog for 52 Books Bingo and the spelling/reading challenge Fictional Librarians Bookology. So much fun putting the librarians one together and includes Madam Irma Pince from Harry Potter. Many have mentioned rereading Harry Potter in 2021 as I have.  Out of curiosity, which house would you want to be sorted into????

Happy reading!

Link to week 48

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers  around the globe.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

@DreamergalBook Dragons all the way. Who wants to be a worm when you can be a dragon ?? Thanks for the links. I think I have a love-hate relationship with this thread. Love the recommendations, hate that I cannot read all the books, all the time.  In my short time here definitely increased my reading broadly and deeply. Thank you for that

@The Accidental CoachI have to agree (bolded for emphasis). I think I know what I want to read and then get swept away by reviews and recommendations. I am envious of the Book Dragons who read 75+ books a year. I cannot imagine reading 100+ books.  And the Dragons who read in multiple languages...I'm in awe.

It's all a matter of pacing and enjoying the journey.  I have a poster in my kitchen with the quote "It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~Ursula Le Guin.  It reminds me to enjoy each day, each book, each person, and not to skip through my day worrying about tomorrow.    And some days I sit and ponder my shelves, remembering the stories I've read and the ones yet to be read. Which one am I in the mood for today. Which one speaks to me, calls me the loudest today.  Which one has something to teach me.  Slow and steady. It's not a race or a competition.       

And no matter how many books you read, I consider you all book dragons. 

😘

• Like 8

I'm about 90% done with my chunky book -  Towers of Midnight, #13 in the Wheels of Time.  Surprises abound and progress is made. Have #14 waiting in the wings for the new year.  

I read Nalini Singh's Archangel's Sun, #13 in the Guild Hunter series.  So very good and highlights The Lady Hummingbird whose recovered her mind and is strong enough to battle wits with Titus.  Loved it.  

Ha, just noticed on book 13 for two books.  

Which Hogwart's house would I like to be sorted into?  I think --- Ravenclaw.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

I read The Fireside Grown Up Guide to the Husband - 2 Stars - Not as funny as the others in the series. 

Noble Hounds and Dear Companions - 5 Stars - How could I not love this book? Dogs and monarchy! What more can I say? Pets of the Royal Family are shown from Queen Victoria onward. The photographs are simply delightful. Most of the pets are dogs, but there are some cats also. This would be a lovely coffee-table-type gift for anyone who loves monarchy and dogs. I was particularly moved when I saw pictures of Princess Alex of Hesse, who later married and became the last Tsarina of Russia. If you are interested in seeing some pictures, here's a link to my Good Reads review

9781501150739.jpg   9781902163857.jpg

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Which Hogwart's house would I like to be sorted into?  I think --- Ravenclaw.

I am more of an anyplace but Slytherin person myself!

I have been busy finishing challenges with some rather mediocre books especially the one I just read for my book chain......To Helen Back.  It was a very predictable, very repetitive, cozy mystery.  Thankfully short.  It connected me to an author I have been curious to try CJ Box.  So it was worth it !  I have some lists finished so will be back later to post?...

• Like 6

Reading:

Crushing Depth by Dani Pettrey

Her first Alaska series seemed better. I hope we are not going downhill. I really liked the first series. Yes, I temporarily took a break from Gabriel Allon.  🙂

I would like to snag Acceptable Risk by Lynette Eason for my next read. I have to see if Overdrive has it.

Audiobooks

Murder in Chelsea by Victoria Thompson - almost finished. Next in line is Murder on Fifth Avenue by same author.

• Like 4

DS's present update:  the Wheel of Time books have arrived. They are in excellent condition, Fourteen of the sixteen books have never been read. The seller is a bibliophile as determined by the care he took in packing each book and the two boxes in which he shipped them. 

I took a moment to look through the cover art and the included maps. I didn't want to open the books too much as the spines have that wonderful new book stiffness.

My DS is certainly a Book Dragon as well as a Book Mage and I know he'll enjoy this set. Anybody want to place a wager on how long it will take him to read all 16 books? 

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, The Accidental Coach said:

DS's present update:  the Wheel of Time books have arrived. They are in excellent condition, Fourteen of the sixteen books have never been read.....

My DS is certainly a Book Dragon as well as a Book Mage and I know he'll enjoy this set. Anybody want to place a wager on how long it will take him to read all 16 books? 

That sounds wonderful! I'll cast my vote that he'll have finished them by June. (If he finishes then in March, I'm not wrong!)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Hello All - and thank you Robin!

One book completed this week, and several started for Advent/Christmas: I finished Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger; it was OK but I had incorrectly high expectations: The other books of his I have read and loved (Ordinary Grace and This Tender Land) were written much later in his career. I would go on with the series though. So often it seems that the first book of a series is not super awesome and it gets better.  (Of course the opposite happens as well!) We'll see.

For Advent reading I am going through Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas for the second time, and Waiting on the Word: A Poem a Day for Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany by Malcolm Guite.  I do struggle a bit with the poems; even in college as an English major I struggled mightily with poetry! I am about to start Hidden Christmas by Timothy Keller as well; this would be my second read-through of that one. Also this season I will read Georgette Heyer's A Christmas Party (3rd read) and at least one more Christmas-themed "fun"book (ideas welcome). I picked up Jacob T Marley by R William Bennett; we'll see how that goes.

I will not meet my goal of 50 books this year but that is fine. I've decided that for me, setting a quantity goal means quality will suffer. I am thinking through next year's reading goals now and I want to read a little less fluff. We'll see how that goes too.  😎

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

• Robin M changed the title to Book a Week 2020 - BW49: This is my Life - William Stanley Braithwaite
5 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

DS's present update:  the Wheel of Time books have arrived. They are in excellent condition, Fourteen of the sixteen books have never been read. The seller is a bibliophile as determined by the care he took in packing each book and the two boxes in which he shipped them. 

I took a moment to look through the cover art and the included maps. I didn't want to open the books too much as the spines have that wonderful new book stiffness.

If he reads 100 pages a day I'd say about 5 months so approximately June.  I've only been reading two a year so it's taken me a few years. Whereas I read through Diana Gabaldon's  Outlander series in about a year.   

• Like 3

Some bookish posts from Reddit ~

Give me the best book you recently read

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/j4in4l/give_me_the_best_book_you_recently_read/

The best history book you've ever read that I (or many) would not be aware of

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/j4ox6w/the_best_history_book_youve_ever_read_that_i_or/

[Fantasy] Recommendation for my [nine year old] daughter

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/jwgyw0/recommendation_for_my_daughter/

Your favorite books about oddly specific, perhaps overlooked fields of study

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/jxkh15/your_favorite_books_about_oddly_specific_perhaps/?sort=controversial

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just finished my Qui Xiaolong book for this year’s X author and once again am suffering a bit of a crush on Inspector Chen.  He is clever and a good person!  These books are set in 1990’s Shanghai  and filled with Chairman Mao and the cultural revolution.  The actual Mandarin dress construction was an interesting side journey in this book......apparently it used to be constructed with the sleeve totally attached....not set in sleeves like we are used to. Must have been hard to move.  The author is Chinese,  I believe born in Shanghai, but left in the 90’s  and now lives in the US so not translated. 😉

Inspector Chen finishes off my detectives 10 x 10........

Around the World in 10 Detectives

1 Amos Decker.....United States......David Baldacci (The Last Mile]

2 Inspector Hulda .......Iceland........Ragnar Johansson (The Darkness)

3 Van Der Valk.........Holland........Nicolas Freeling(Love in Amsterdam)

4 Department Q........Denmark.......Jussi Adler- Olsen(A Conspiracy of Faith)

5 Emma Djan..........Ghana..........Kwei Quartly (The Missing American)

6 Karen Pirie...........Scotland........Val McDermid(Still Life)

7 Rowland Sinclair......Australia .......Sulari Gentill(A Few Right Thinking Men)

8 Lane Winslow.........Canada...........Iona Winshaw(A Killer in King’s Cove)

9 Detective Galileo........Japan.......Keigo Higashino(A Midsummer’s Equation)

10Chen Cao.......China......Qui Xiaolong(Red Mandarin Dress)

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Thanks to people like @negin whose reviews I should apparently never read because she makes me buy books. I have already bought that book about dogs and monarchy. Read her good reads review, saw the pictures and  boom ! clicked the button. @neginYou are terrible for my wallet ! 

That made me laugh! Sorry to be such a bad influence on your wallet. I hope that you enjoy the book. 

Oh, loved reading about your Christmas!

• Like 6

16 hours ago, mumto2 said:

7 Rowland Sinclair......Australia .......Sulari Gentill(A Few Right Thinking Men)

@mumto2  Your list gave me inspiration for buying for my hard-to-buy-for hubby who loves mysteries and has just gotten himself a kindle (see what I mean?  He usually buys what he wants when he wants....).  I'm going to search your Goodreads for ratings/comments.  But, off the top of your head, are any these books particularly gritty and/or explicit?  I'm not looking for "cozy" mysteries per se, but neither do I want to wade through a dark, depressing story, IYKWIM.  

And, if you are looking for more mysteries in the future, I recently finished The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra set in Mumbai and enjoyed it.

Edited by VickiMNE
brain glitch
  • Like 3

@VickiMNETrying to remember.......that particular Ragnar Johannsson is part of a pretty depressing series his other series is better.  Vander Valk had some pretty explicit free love type scenes.......Tell me a couple mysteries your hubby enjoyed and I will try to come up with compatible titles.  The Inspector Chopra series is good....think I read them last year for my Asian Detectives challenge!😉

• Like 2

I finished my A to Z.  I tried to mix and match the authors a bit when there were multiple titles that would fulfill a particular letter.  I also finished by 2020 Reading Challenge goal of 100 books.

I am going to try and be more deliberate in a few of my choices next year.  I don't yet know what that will look like, but I think at least one book a month should be something I may not otherwise choose.  The last few years I've been focusing on just getting back to reading and comprehension again after my injury, as well as just escaping from every day.  Now I think I'm ready to broaden by horizons again, so I'm collecting titles that I think may fit that description.

A to Z by title

A…Alpha Night by Nalini Singh

B…Betwixt by Darynda Jones

C…Cloudy with a Chance of Witchcraft by Mady M. Roth

D… Death and Relaxation by Devon Monk

E…Emerald Blaze by Ilona Andrews

F...Fatal Fraud by Marie Force

G…Grave War by Kalayna Price

H…House Rules by Chloe Neill

I…Invasion by Jay Allan

J...Junkyard Cats by Faith Hunter

K…Kiss of Snow by Nailini Singh

L…The Last Odyssey by James Rollins

M…My Way to You by Catherine Bybee

N…Nights Reckoning by Elizabeth Hunter

O…The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison

P…Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik

Q…Quinn by D.B.Reynolds

R…Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuirre

S…Smoke Bitten by Patricia Briggs

T…Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill

U…The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison

V…Valley of the Shadow by Elizabeth Hunter

W…Wild Things by Chloe Neill

X…X-Ops Her Perfect Mate by Paige Tyler

Y…Year One by Nora Roberts

Z…Zero Day by David Baldacci

• Like 4

Everyone feel free to use my Goodreads but I do want to give a bit of a warning that I tend to rate on genre .........and I read pretty eclectically.   All genres are created equal in my mind and I rate within each genre.  I might give a sweet silly formula driven cozy a 5* because it was excellent in that genre.  The problem is I will also give a very gritty thriller the same rating if it was done really well.....there is a french dectective series where I barely finished the series because of extreme violence but one of those books was seriously an awesomely clever mystery and was rated accordingly.  So don’t mistake levels of violence etc to necessarily change my rating because I tend to allow it and still give high rating if that is appropriate to the book.  I may have skimmed the violence and the adult scenes. I skim those things in most books......

For my first couple of years using Goodreads I felt a book had to be somehow worthy of a 5* and it dawned on me that wasn’t fair to the authors.....a thumping good read is just that no matter of the genre.  

• Like 6

@Seasider tooI haven’t watched it but there is a Mrs. Pollifax movie on Amazon Prime.....It’s a wonderful book series that I managed to miss back in the day too.  Found via someone on BaW!  I am reading them very slowly in order not to run out  and am not even sure that I picked one up this year.  

Last night I finished Frontier Follies by Ree Drummond https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51195557-frontier-folliesfor my cowboy square on the Bingo card.  I know she used to be a boardie before my time and I missed the much of the fame as I lived in England.  I did pick up one of her cookbooks once on Overdrive when BaW was featuring cookbooks and commented that the recipes had a lot of butter.......Amy warned me I shouldn’t be saying that, former boardie. 😂. Somehow in that first cookbook read I got the impression she was a Chicago born big city girl who married the rancher and was transplanted to farm life.  The reality is yes she was a “city” girl who lived in the next county over.......she may not have been around cows as a child but she certainly must of had a clue to what life on a ranch would entail and how far a grocery store would be.  Anyway I picked up this book expecting a paragraph or two on the early days of WtM.....not a mention.  Home Ed is barely mentioned.  It was a a good compilation of stories about her life with Ladd.....her family, dogs, and really not all that much cooking talk.  She did poke fun at her butter consumption in recipes......it’s down 50%!😂

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

On 12/6/2020 at 11:41 AM, Dreamergal said:

Happy St.Nicholas day !

This year COVID Santa visited early with a pool table/ ping pong table since all the natives got restless and demanded presents sooner than usual. ...

My husband is a bit of a table tennis (well, ok, ping pong) aficianado. We have to watch game videos. He used to teach TT classes through our local parks & rec dept. He has our table outside on the back deck....automatic social distancing when his friends come over! And during our unemployment, I seriously think TT has kept him sane. He plays 4-5 times/week and sometimes (like today) twice in one day. Once he starts back to work in January he'll have to find some other form of distraction!! Meanwhile he is setting up his office and checking out the cost of flights to Virginia (for training).

As for my reading, I am working on Steve Perry's The Lincoln Conspiracy. He certainly does invent strange historical byways to drive his stories. This one in particular seems to jump back and forth from location to location/character set rather quickly. A very "National Treasure 2" feel to it.

I have a couple more Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes mysteries checked out, having just finished O Jerusalem. I suppose I will have lots of time to read as freelance work is expected to be slow over the holidays.  I just finished sending off family photo collages (first time in ages!) to siblings and cousins. The tree is up, along with the nativity lawn ornament. So much to be thankful for this holiday season!!

• Like 3

On 12/7/2020 at 12:12 PM, VickiMNE said:

@mumto2  Your list gave me inspiration for buying for my hard-to-buy-for hubby who loves mysteries and has just gotten himself a kindle (see what I mean?  He usually buys what he wants when he wants....).  I'm going to search your Goodreads for ratings/comments.  But, off the top of your head, are any these books particularly gritty and/or explicit?  I'm not looking for "cozy" mysteries per se, but neither do I want to wade through a dark, depressing story, IYKWIM.  

And, if you are looking for more mysteries in the future, I recently finished The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra set in Mumbai and enjoyed it.

Not Mum, but I have a few suggestions for your hubby that are interesting mysteries:  James Rollins Sigma Force series which includes a bit of archeology and religious history delving back to the ancients as well as the present.  I love his writing and have read all his books. There are currently 16 books in the series.  All standalone.  I read Judas Strain first which sold me on his writing. None of them are explicit.  David Baldacci, Dan Brown, Lee Child as well as Steve Berry to name a few.   

• Like 4

On 12/6/2020 at 4:44 PM, marbel said:

I will not meet my goal of 50 books this year but that is fine. I've decided that for me, setting a quantity goal means quality will suffer. I am thinking through next year's reading goals now and I want to read a little less fluff. We'll see how that goes too.  😎

Yes, quality is so much better than quantity so enjoy your reads and look forward to seeing what you decide on for next year. 

On 12/6/2020 at 7:39 PM, mumto2 said:

I just finished my Qui Xiaolong book for this year’s X author and once again am suffering a bit of a crush on Inspector Chen.  He is clever and a good person!  These books are set in 1990’s Shanghai  and filled with Chairman Mao and the cultural revolution.  The actual Mandarin dress construction was an interesting side journey in this book......apparently it used to be constructed with the sleeve totally attached....not set in sleeves like we are used to. Must have been hard to move.  The author is Chinese,  I believe born in Shanghai, but left in the 90’s  and now lives in the US so not translated. 😉

Inspector Chen finishes off my detectives 10 x 10........

Woot Woot!  Yes, aren't Qui Xiaolong's stories fascinating. I learned so much about Chinese culture through his books.   I love David Baldacci's writing. I heard him speak once at a book/writing convention.  I need to get back to reading his books.    I have Higashino and Adler in my stacks for next year.  

On 12/7/2020 at 2:34 PM, melmichigan said:

I finished my A to Z.  I tried to mix and match the authors a bit when there were multiple titles that would fulfill a particular letter.  I also finished by 2020 Reading Challenge goal of 100 books.

I am going to try and be more deliberate in a few of my choices next year.  I don't yet know what that will look like, but I think at least one book a month should be something I may not otherwise choose.  The last few years I've been focusing on just getting back to reading and comprehension again after my injury, as well as just escaping from every day.  Now I think I'm ready to broaden by horizons again, so I'm collecting titles that I think may fit that description.

A to Z by title

A…Alpha Night by Nalini Singh

B…Betwixt by Darynda Jones

C…Cloudy with a Chance of Witchcraft by Mady M. Roth

D… Death and Relaxation by Devon Monk

E…Emerald Blaze by Ilona Andrews

F...Fatal Fraud by Marie Force

G…Grave War by Kalayna Price

H…House Rules by Chloe Neill

I…Invasion by Jay Allan

J...Junkyard Cats by Faith Hunter

K…Kiss of Snow by Nailini Singh

L…The Last Odyssey by James Rollins

M…My Way to You by Catherine Bybee

N…Nights Reckoning by Elizabeth Hunter

O…The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison

P…Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik

Q…Quinn by D.B.Reynolds

R…Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuirre

S…Smoke Bitten by Patricia Briggs

T…Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill

U…The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison

V…Valley of the Shadow by Elizabeth Hunter

W…Wild Things by Chloe Neill

X…X-Ops Her Perfect Mate by Paige Tyler

Y…Year One by Nora Roberts

Z…Zero Day by David Baldacci

So many great authors I like. We're alot alike so I'll have to check out Roth and Price.    I was thinking of you the other day when hubby had his slip and fall and how you've worked so hard to recover. Glad to see you are feeling good enough to broaden your horizons.  😘

9 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I crossed this year’s 52 Books line with the first in this series. 

Congrats! 

8 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Last night I finished Frontier Follies by Ree Drummond https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51195557-frontier-folliesfor my cowboy square on the Bingo card.  I know she used to be a boardie before my time and I missed the much of the fame as I lived in England.  I did pick up one of her cookbooks once on Overdrive when BaW was featuring cookbooks and commented that the recipes had a lot of butter.......Amy warned me I shouldn’t be saying that, former boardie. 😂. Somehow in that first cookbook read I got the impression she was a Chicago born big city girl who married the rancher and was transplanted to farm life.  The reality is yes she was a “city” girl who lived in the next county over.......she may not have been around cows as a child but she certainly must of had a clue to what life on a ranch would entail and how far a grocery store would be.  Anyway I picked up this book expecting a paragraph or two on the early days of WtM.....not a mention.  Home Ed is barely mentioned.  It was a a good compilation of stories about her life with Ladd.....her family, dogs, and really not all that much cooking talk.  She did poke fun at her butter consumption in recipes......it’s down 50%!😂

Ree was around the first five years or so when I started WTM and used to amuse us with her stories about homeschooling and how she and Ladd met and I'm pretty sure the tale is up on her website some where.  Way, way, way, before she became 'famous' and her website segued into what it is now. At least some of us oldies can say we knew her when. 

• Like 6

I've finished a few books.

Season of the Wolf (The Legend of All Wolves Book 4)  by Maria Vale was an enjoyable read. I think it would be best appreciated by someone who has read the earlier books in the series.

"In a world of danger and uncertainty, the Alpha has enough to worry about without him...

For Alpha Evie Kitwanasdottir, things are never easy. The Great North Pack has just survived a deadly attack. Evie is determined to do whatever is necessary to keep her Pack safe, especially from the four Shifters who are their prisoners.

Constantine lost his parents and his humanity on the same devastating day. He has been a thoughtless killer ever since. When Constantine is moved to live under Evie's watchful eye, he discovers that taking directions and having a purpose are not the same thing.

Each moment spent together brings new revelations to Constantine, who begins to understand the loneliness of being Alpha. He finds strength and direction in helping Evie, but there is no room for a small love in the Pack, so Constantine must work harder than ever to prove to Evie he is capable of a love big enough for the Great North Pack itself."

I also read Common Goal: A Gay Sports Romance (Game Changers Book 4) by Rachel Reid which I enjoyed (but not as much as other books in the series). (Adult content)

"Veteran goaltender Eric Bennett has faced down some of the toughest shooters on the ice, but nothing prepared him for his latest challenge—life after hockey. It’s time to make some big changes, starting with finally dating men for the first time.

Graduate student Kyle Swift moved to New York nursing a broken heart. He’d sworn to find someone his own age to crush on (for once). Until he meets a gorgeous, distinguished silver fox hockey player. Despite their intense physical attraction, Kyle has no intention of getting emotionally involved. He’ll teach Eric a few tricks, have some mutually consensual fun, then walk away.

Eric is more than happy to learn anything Kyle brings to the table. And Kyle never expected their friends-with-benefits arrangement to leave him wanting more. Happily-ever-after might be staring them in the face, but it won’t happen if they’re too stubborn to come clean about their feelings.

Everything they both want is within reach… They just have to be brave enough to grab it."

I also read My Christmas Spirit by KC Wells which was a pleasant  (-ly silly) romance that featured a matchmaking ghost. (Adult content)

(I won't include the book description as I suspect it would make some blush.)

and I read His Knight (Shining Armor Book 1) by Charity Parkerson which was another pleasant story. (Significant adult content)

"The last thing Benny expected was to find himself in the middle of an active shooter event on campus. Canyondale University isn’t the type of place he imagined becoming the center of such brutality. After getting shot in the thigh, he would’ve been dead if not for the SWAT member who rushed to his aid at the moment one of the gunmen was bent on finishing the job.

An explosion of violence is a typical day for Wyatt. It’s his job to charge headfirst into the worst situations. This time is different. Downed by several bullets and left for dead, he might not have made it out alive if not for an unlikely hero—a young college student named Benny. Now, Wyatt can’t stay away from Benny. The man’s dry wit and courageous heart has him mesmerized. Unfortunately, Wyatt’s near-death experience has his ex seeing the light and wanting him back.

Relationships built under such stressful circumstances aren’t known to last, especially when meddling exes are involved. Thankfully for Wyatt, Benny isn’t easily budged, and he’s not giving up his knight without a fight."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Getting in the Christmas mood.  We bought our Christmas tree this weekend. I think we blew them away because none of the 6 ft or shorter trees where any good so we picked out a nice 9 ft one and said please cut off two feet which they did. Surprisingly, no one has ever requested they do that so it gave them something to think about. Especially when we didn't grumble about paying the more expensive price for the taller tree vs the shorter. And they delivered.  Woot Woot! I decorated it today while watching Polar Express.  Puts me in the Christmas spirit and now it's time to put together our xmas lists and start shopping.   

I finished Towers of Midnight and Archangel's Sun, plus J.R. Ward's newest book in her Black Dagger Brotherhood series, A Warm Heart in Winter which is the Christmas story  about Blay and Quinn (m/m lovers). Not a whole lot of action in this one. More of an emotional story with characters working through old and new trauma. Finally ready to read Nora Robert's newest book, The Awakening.  

Meanwhile ebook wise, reading Debbie Macomber's Twelve Days of Christmas and listening to reread of audiobook Key of Light by Nora Roberts in the car. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

I also read My Christmas Spirit by KC Wells which was a pleasant  (-ly silly) romance that featured a matchmaking ghost. (Adult content)

(I won't include the book description as I suspect it would make some blush.)

Read the description on Amazon. Giggling! Son in other room asking what's so funny.  Nothing dear, just a book description. 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 10:44 AM, Seasider too said:

Popping in for a few minutes to say THANK YOU to the one (or more?) who recommended Mrs Pollifax. I am on the third volume and finding her immensely enjoyable.

Based on YOUR recommendation, I just hit the buy button for The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax Series Book 1). I bought the Kindle version along with the optional audible version. I've been looking for a good book to wrap up the year with.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Robin M said:

Ree was around the first five years or so when I started WTM and used to amuse us with her stories about homeschooling and how she and Ladd met and I'm pretty sure the tale is up on her website some where.  Way, way, way, before she became 'famous' and her website segued into what it is now. At least some of us oldies can say we knew her when. 

She used to work with a group that accepted donations of homeschooling materials and passed them on to other families - Book Samaritan, I think? She sent us some books during our Hurricane Katrina evacuation. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, katilac said:

She used to work with a group that accepted donations of homeschooling materials and passed them on to other families - Book Samaritan, I think? She sent us some books during our Hurricane Katrina evacuation. 

I remember that. Everyone pulled together at that time to send out books. Sad when Book Samaritan closed down since we used to send books their way.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

I really like Rebecca Roanhouse’s books.....that’s all.😉

I have gone through my books on my kindle and have decided to start a Christmas themed bookshelf.  I loved doing my Spooky shelf in October so why not do Christmas too.  I might just get through several Carla Kelly’s @Kareni.  I am currently reading Donna Andrews latest book with the Christmas theme.....The Gift of the Magpie.  Loving it!

• Like 3

On 12/8/2020 at 8:38 PM, Robin M said:

So many great authors I like. We're alot alike so I'll have to check out Roth and Price.    I was thinking of you the other day when hubby had his slip and fall and how you've worked so hard to recover. Glad to see you are feeling good enough to broaden your horizons.  😘

The series from Mandy Roth is paranormal woman over 40 fiction with a good dash of humor, they are great quick reads.  They're also available on Kindle Unlimited.  Now I'm wondering who got me started with Price?  I know it was this group.

• Like 3

I ran in to an interesting (to me 😉) book review today and thought I would share.  I have put a hold on The Bell in the Lake after reading this......https://shereadsnovels.com/2020/12/10/the-bell-in-the-lake-by-lars-mytting/

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 7:50 PM, melmichigan said:

The series from Mandy Roth is paranormal woman over 40 fiction with a good dash of humor, they are great quick reads.  They're also available on Kindle Unlimited.  Now I'm wondering who got me started with Price?  I know it was this group.

Added the first books for both Roth and Price to my stacks. Don't know how I missed them all this time.

This is neat - An Ingenious, Interactive Gift Book for Lovers of Literature

Good reads posted their best of winner

I finished Nora Robert's newest book The Awakening.  Fantasy, dragons, great characters.  So so very good., but damn, ends on a cliff hanger.  Loved it anyway.  Looking forward to the next book in the series. 

• Like 2

I did some organization on my lists yesterday, so will post a few more today.....

A to Z by Author

A.......Addison, Katherine.........The Angel of the Crows

B.......Baldacci, David........Memory Man

C.......Collins, Suzanne........The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

D.......Deveraux, Jude........A Knight in Shining Armor

E........Estep, Jennifer........Spider’s Bite

F........ Finch, Charles........The Vanishing Man

G........Gentill, Sulari.........A Few Right Thinking Man

H........Huang, SL........Null Set

I..........Ireland, Justina........Deathless Divide

J.........Jonasson, Ragnar.......The Darkness

K.........Kimberly, Alice........The Ghost and Mrs. McClure

L.........Lynch, Scott......The Lies of Locke Lamora

M........Mann, George.......The Affinity Bridge

N.........Ness, Patrick........Burn

O.........Overholt, Cuyler.......A Deadly Affection

P..........Palmer, Suzanne.........Finder

Q.........Quartey, Kwei........The Missing American

R.........Robb, JD........Golden in Death

S.........Spencer Fleming, Julia........Hid from Our Eyes

T..........Tolkien, JRR.......The Hobbit

U.........Upson, Nicola........Two for Sorrow

V..........Vincy, Mia........A Beastly Kind of Earl

W.........Wilde, Darcie.........A Useful Woman

X..........Xiaolong, Qiu........Red Mandarin Dress

Y...........Yoshimoto, Banana.......Moshi Moshi

Z..........Zarlenga, Anna........Not My Type

• Like 2

Hello! Atop the stack on my desk this morning is Harriet the Spy. Favorable reviews of the recently published Louise Fitzhugh biography prompted me to revisit this childhood favorite for the first time in many years; I have not been disappointed.

Most of the other books on my desk, marked with dogears and slips of paper, were awaiting inclusion in my commonplace book. Since I last posted, I’ve read nine books, bringing my 2020 total to 221.

Gideon Falls, Vol. 5: Wicked Words (Jeff Lemire; 2020. Graphic fiction.)
This series is barreling toward the conclusion.

Still Alive: A Holocaust Girlhood Remembered (Ruth Klüger; 2001. Non-fiction.)
Klüger’s is “an unforgiving memoir of growing up Jewish in Nazi-occupied Vienna and escaping death in a concentration camp.” (NYT, October 16, 2020)

p. 69
Remembering is a branch of witchcraft; its tool is incantation. I often say, as if it were a joke — but it’s true — that instead of God I believe in ghosts.

p. 150
Of course, that’s always the case: men go to war because they are drafted. They usually go with enthusiasm, which lasts as long as their side is winning, never mind if their cause is good or bad. A minority know their minds, and the rest mistake the collective mind for their own.

p. 194
I shed these prejudices quickly and quietly, as one takes off a pair of nylons under the table, secretly, so that no one will notice you’ve been wearing them.

p. 199
No one is as dependent as mothers are on the dependency of their children.

Wolf Hall (Hilary Mantel; 2009. Fiction.)
When The Mirror and the Light was released earlier this year, I quietly added “Read the Mantel trilogy” to my 2020 goals. These books are proving to be the the perfect companions for long-nighted December days.

p. 499
The fate of peoples is made like this, two men in small rooms. Forget the coronations, the conclaves of cardinals, the pomp and the processions. This is how the world changes….

Memorial: A Version of Homer’s Iliad (Alice Oswald; 2011. Poetry.)
In this startling and powerful reframing of the Iliad, two similes (on facing pages in my edition) begged to be pressed into my commonplace book. The first reminded me of the most exquisite passage in all of literature written in English (see below):

Like snow falling like snow
When the living winds shake the clouds into pieces
Like flutters of silence hurrying down
To put a stop to the earth at her leafwork

The second was so poignant it hurt:

Like when a mother is rushing
And a little girl clings to her clothes
Wants help wants arms
Won’t let her walk
Like staring up at that tower of adulthood
Wanting to be light again
Wanting the whole problem of living to be lifted
And carried on a hip

The Dead (James Joyce; 1914. Fiction.)
In which one finds the most exquisite passage in all of literature written in English:

A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

The Assassination of Brangwain Spurge (M.T. Anderson; 2018. Fiction.)
One of the most delightful books I read this year.

In Defense of Elitism: Why I’m Better Than You and You Are Better Than Someone Who Didn’t Buy This Book (Joel Stein; 2019. Non-fiction.)
Yes, Stein’s humor is an acquired taste.

Antigone Rising: The Subversive Power of the Ancient Myth (Helena Morales; 2020. Non-fiction.)

The Theater of War: What Ancient Greek Tragedies Can Teach Us Today (Bryan Doerries; 2015. Non-fiction.)
A wonderful reader recommended Theater of War Productions to me in late spring. Since then, I’ve watched seven readings — most recently, The Book of Job with Bill Murray. Doerries’ book is as riveting as those performances.

p. 13
It is not our job to judge the characters in Greek tragedies — to focus on their “flaws.” Tragedy challenges us to see ourselves in the way its characters stray from the path, and to open our eyes to the bad habits we may have formed or the mistakes we have yet to make. Contrary to what you may have learned in school, tragedies are not designed to fill us with pessimism and dread about the futility of human existence or our relative powerlessness in a world beyond our grasp. They are designed to help us see the impending disaster on the horizon, so that we may correct course and narrowly avoid it. Above all, the flaw in out thinking about tragedy is that we look for meaning where there is none to be found. Tragedies don’t mean anything. They do something.

• Like 3

@mumto2   Woot Woot!    I'm reading my X author right now and I will have A to Z by Author. A cozy mystery:  Aunt Bessie Assumes by Diana Xarissa (#1 Isle of Man)

@-M-  I've been avoiding Wolf Hall, have had it in ebook in my stacks forever and finally dipped in the first two chapters a couple of evenings ago.  Now I want to read the whole thing.  Prefer my chunky books to be physical, why I don't know, I'm just odd that way. Put it on Christmas wish list for Hubby to buy.  He loves getting me chunky books, the longer the better.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Robin M said:

@mumto2   Woot Woot!    I'm reading my X author right now and I will have A to Z by Author. A cozy mystery:  Aunt Bessie Assumes by Diana Xarissa (#1 Isle of Man)

@-M-  I've been avoiding Wolf Hall, have had it in ebook in my stacks forever and finally dipped in the first two chapters a couple of evenings ago.  Now I want to read the whole thing.  Prefer my chunky books to be physical, why I don't know, I'm just odd that way. Put it on Christmas wish list for Hubby to buy.  He loves getting me chunky books, the longer the better.  

My husband would say better value!😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Completed some of my 10 x 10's

Dragons:

Genevieve Cogman:  The Burning Page - (#3 Invisible Library)
Greg Keyes:  Godzilla 
J.R.R. Tolkien:  The Hobbit 
Patricia Briggs:  Dragon Bones - (#1 Hurog Duology)
Rachel Hartman:  Seraphina - (#1 Dragons, 387)
Rachel Hartman:  Shadow Scale - (#2 Dragons, 482, e)
Samantha Shannon:  Priory of the Orange Tree 
Thea Harrison:  Dragon Bound 
TJ Klune:   The House in the Cerulean Sea
Nora Roberts: The Awakening

I loved, loved, loved The House in the Cerulean Sea which is a unique story filled with wonderful characters.  Truly enjoyed all my dragon reads which is why I'm going for another 10 in 21 

Feed my muse which was basically non fiction

A.J. Jacobs:   It's All Relative 
Barbara Abercrombie:  Year of Writing Dangerously
Francine Prose:  Reading Like a Writer
Hyeonseo Lee:  Girl with Seven Names
Madeleine L'Engle:  Walking on Water
Matthew McConaughey:  Greenlights
Michael Card:    Luke
Molly Manning:  When Books Went to War
Ray Bradbury:   Zen and the Art of Writing
Trevor Hudson:   Pauses for Lent

Science Fiction

Anne Hackett:  Edge of Eon - (#1 Eon Warriors, space opera)
Anne Hackett:  #2 - 4 Eon series)
Becky Chambers:  The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet -  (#1 Wayfarers)
Becky Chambers:  A Closed and Common Orbit - (#2 Wayfarer)
David Wingrove: Son of Heaven - (#1 Chung Kuo, Dystopian SF)Faith Hunter:  Blood Cross - (Audiobook, fantasy)
Faith Hunter:  Junkyard Cats - (Sci fi/Fantasy, e and audiobook)
Jessie Mihalik: Polaris Rising  (#1 Consortium Rebellion, Space Opera),
Keri Arthur:  Unlit - (#1 Kingdoms of Earth and Air, 413, e) 
Michelle Diener: Dark Horse - #1 Class 5, SF, reread, 380e)
Michelle Diener: #2 - #5 Class series)
Rae Carson:  Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker - (SF, 272)

• Like 3

10 x 10 Whodunit 

Amanda Quick:  The Girl Who Knew Too Much - (#1 Burning Cove)
C.J. Darlington:  Thicker than Blood 
David Baldacci:   Long Road to Mercy - (#1 Atlee Pine, Thriller)
Gwen Hunter:  Delayed Diagnosis - (#1 Rhea Lynch MD, Mystery)
James Rollins:  Last Odyssey - (#15 Sigma Force, mystery, 624)
J.D.Robb:  Golden in Death - (#50 In Death, futuristic suspense,)
Karen Robards:   The Fifth Doctrine - (#3 Guardians, thriller)
Lee Child:   Running Blind - (#4 Reacher, Thriller)
Louise Penny:  All the Devils are Here  - (# 16 Armand Gamache Detective)
Nalini Singh:  A Madness of Sunshine - (Thriller)

Fantasy

Amanda Stevens:  No Less Days - (Christian Fantasy)
Elizabeth Hunter:   Suddenly Psychic - (#1 Glimmer Lake, LOF)
Faith Hunter:  Spells for the Dead - (#5 Soulwood, Paranormal)
Ilona Andrews:  Iron and Magic - (#1 Iron Covenant, Fantasy, 394, e)
J.R. Ward:  The Jackal (Black Dagger Brotherhood Prison Camp #1, Paranormal Romance, 352, e)
Menna Van Praag:  Patron of Lost Souls - (fantasy, 352)
Mercedes Lackey:   Arrows of the Queen - (#1 Heralds of Valdemar)
Nalini Singh: Alpha Night - (#4 Psychangeling/Trinity)
Patricia Briggs:  Smoke Bitten - (#12 Mercy Thompson, Fantasy, 351, NR)
Robert Jordan:   Knife of Dreams - (#11 WOT, Fantasy, 880) ++ #12 and #13

Romance

Amanda Lee:  Witchin USA - (#1 Moonstone Bay)
Banana Yoshimito:   Kitchen/Midnight Shadow - (LOF, Japan, 177e)
Christine Feehan:  Judgement Road - (#1 Torpedo Ink, Thriller Romance)
Cleo Coyle:  Brewed Awakening - (#18 Coffee House)
Debbie Macomber: 12 Days of Christmas (Romance, e) 
Deborah Crombie: A Share in Death - (#1 Kincaid/James)
M.L. Buchman:  At the Slightest Sound - (#1 Shadowforce psi, Military paranormal)
Nora Roberts:   Northern Lights - (reread, Romance)
Roxanne St. Claire:  Man's Best Friend - (Dogmother, Contemporary Romance, e)
Shona Husk: The Goblin King - (Paranormal romance, e)

I have one more to read for Step into the past (Historical Fiction, five for Clocks and Corsets (steampunk), lost track of my Ladies of Fiction so have to go back and look and see who I read and who I missed.  I totally biffed on my Sounds of Silence so that one will carry over to next year. 

• Like 4

Part of what has kept me away from the threads this year is that it would get late in the week before I had a chance to post. Then I'd think "Well, it's almost time for the new thread so I'll just wait and post in the new one early".  And of course I didn't post and it would get late in the week and it would start all over. So from now on, even if it's Saturday like it is now, I'll go ahead and post. 🙂 

I finished my reread of Mansfield Park. It was interesting to be reading it alongside What Matters in Jane Austen. It wasn't planned that way. I just felt like rereading an Austen novel and hadn't read that one in a while. At the same time I forgot I had the other book on hold at the library, and it came in. Really it wouldn't have mattered what Austen novel I was rereading, it still would have been interesting. I'd read a chapter or two in the non-fiction book, then go back to the novel and I'd notice some of what he was saying in the book. I still have a few chapters to go but I'd recommend What Matters in Jane Austen to any Austen fan.  Another good one would be Lucy Worsley's Jane Austen at Home

I also finished the audio book edition of Our Mutual Friend. It's not a Dickens novel that gets a lot of notice but I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't put it above David Copperfield or Great Expectations but it's still going to go high on my list of favorite Dickens novels. 

Of the three books I had been reading forever (it felt like forever) the only one I have left to finish is Can You Forgive Her?. My goal is to finish it by the end of the year.

My next audio book is The Mirror and the Light. I was excited for this one to come out earlier this year. Since I own the first two from Audible I wanted to listen to the final one too rather than read it. I bought it shortly after it came out and started it but the pandemic threw me off. I just wasn't in the mood for it and was listening to mostly light audio books such as the Agatha Raisin series. Now I'm at a point where I can again listen to more serious books so I started it from the beginning again. Hopefully I'll finish it while it's still 2020. My audio book consumption usually depends on how much I have to do, because I usually listen while working around the house, cooking, etc. or while driving to and from places. I don't really have a lot to do at the moment and due to Covid-19 and not really going anywhere except when necessary, so I hope I can find time to listen. 

It's been a while since I read a mystery and I was in need of one so I started Murder on Washington Square. I'm really enjoying this series. @aggieamy and @mumto2 have either of you read it? It's the Gaslight Mysteries and if you haven't read thm I think you'd both enjoy the series.

Anyone else working on reading goals for 2021? I'm in the early stages of planning mine.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4