Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW49: This is my Life - William Stanley Braithwaite

Robin M

On 12/6/2020 at 10:39 PM, mumto2 said:

I just finished my Qui Xiaolong book for this year’s X author and once again am suffering a bit of a crush on Inspector Chen.  He is clever and a good person!  These books are set in 1990’s Shanghai  and filled with Chairman Mao and the cultural revolution.  The actual Mandarin dress construction was an interesting side journey in this book......apparently it used to be constructed with the sleeve totally attached....not set in sleeves like we are used to. Must have been hard to move.  The author is Chinese,  I believe born in Shanghai, but left in the 90’s  and now lives in the US so not translated. 😉

I read the first one two years ago and really enjoyed it. The problem was I couldn't find any of the others at the library and they weren't books I wanted to own. I was sad but moved on. Your post reminded me about the series and I just looked again. The out of state library where I have a paid membership has the second on on audio. I added it to my wish list. Hopefully between that one and my local library they'll start adding more of the series so I can read or listen to them. It's really interesting to read about the cultural aspects but at its heart the series seems true to the mystery/police procedural genre.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:31 PM, mumto2 said:

Everyone feel free to use my Goodreads but I do want to give a bit of a warning that I tend to rate on genre .........and I read pretty eclectically.   All genres are created equal in my mind and I rate within each genre.  I might give a sweet silly formula driven cozy a 5* because it was excellent in that genre.  The problem is I will also give a very gritty thriller the same rating if it was done really well.....there is a french dectective series where I barely finished the series because of extreme violence but one of those books was seriously an awesomely clever mystery and was rated accordingly.  So don’t mistake levels of violence etc to necessarily change my rating because I tend to allow it and still give high rating if that is appropriate to the book.  I may have skimmed the violence and the adult scenes. I skim those things in most books......

For my first couple of years using Goodreads I felt a book had to be somehow worthy of a 5* and it dawned on me that wasn’t fair to the authors.....a thumping good read is just that no matter of the genre.  

Haha! I'm just the opposite and am very stingy with stars. I usually only rate classics, literary fiction (sometimes called book club fiction), and non-fiction. Even then, as I said, I'm stingy with stars. Very few books get five stars from me. I don't consider three stars a bad thing though I know some do. To me three stars means it was a good book and I really enjoyed it. It means my friends who like similar books would like my three star rated books. Four or five stars means everyone should at least give it a try unless they really don't like the author or subject. I don't rate genres because I feel like they're more personal. I might think a book or series is fantastic but the writing probably doesn't really deserve five stars even if the series overall is one I love. I'm not a genre snob or I wouldn't be reading those books. Or I wouldn't put them on GR to publicly let others know I read them. I tend to just not rate genre fiction though maybe I should. Now, if I see that you or someone else I know who likes mysteries rated a book or series high, I know that means chances are good that I'll like it. Maybe I should start rating genres so that my other friends who like similar books will know which ones I think they'll like. 🙂 

On 12/6/2020 at 7:44 PM, marbel said:

I will not meet my goal of 50 books this year but that is fine. I've decided that for me, setting a quantity goal means quality will suffer. I am thinking through next year's reading goals now and I want to read a little less fluff. We'll see how that goes too.  😎

For years I've complained about the fact that Goodreads doesn't let you do any goals other than a number but 2020 is the first year I decided to rebel. I didn't set a number on GR and of course I had no idea that would turn out to be a good thing, this being 2020 and all. 😄 That hasn't stopped GR from coming after me all year telling me it's not too late to join the challenge. I prefer to make goals about reading specific books, types of books, what's already on my shelf or my TBR list, etc. Basically, I prefer the kind of goals on @Robin M's 52 Books blog. 🙂 Goodreads recently asked on their facebook page what changes/improvements you'd like to see. I posted more or less what I just said above - a way to set goals that aren't number based. My post got a lot of likes and at least one comment agreeing with me. Apparently I'm not alone in wishing we could set different goals on GR.

2 hours ago, -M- said:

Wolf Hall (Hilary Mantel; 2009. Fiction.)
When The Mirror and the Light was released earlier this year, I quietly added “Read the Mantel trilogy” to my 2020 goals. These books are proving to be the the perfect companions for long-nighted December days.

I posted about listening to The Mirror and the Light before reading the thread. (As an aside that's another thing that's kept me from posting this year. I think I have to read all the posts in case I want to respond. I get behind reading the posts, or multi-quote a bunch and never get around to replying). Anyway, I really love these books. I listened to Wolf Hall a few years after it came out and then Bring Up the Bodies a few years later. For The Mirror and the Light I pre-ordered the audio book because I had been looking forward to it, and like many fans, was impatient for its publication.  I know I'm going to be sad to finish it though because of course history told us how this ends and I don't want Cromwell to die (not a spoiler, it's history lol). It does seem like he's more arrogant in this last book, or maybe it's more noticeable. I wonder if Mantel did that on purpose so readers wouldn't like him as much by the end, or if it's just my imagination and he was like this in the other two books all along. 

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

@-M-  I've been avoiding Wolf Hall, have had it in ebook in my stacks forever and finally dipped in the first two chapters a couple of evenings ago.  Now I want to read the whole thing.  Prefer my chunky books to be physical, why I don't know, I'm just odd that way. Put it on Christmas wish list for Hubby to buy.  He loves getting me chunky books, the longer the better.  

I love chunky books regardless of the format. Chunky books on Kindle however, are easier to carry with me everywhere and definitely easier to read in bed. 😄 I think this is one reason I don't like number goals for reading. I rarely read short stories or novellas. I mostly read average size books (300 - 500 pages) but also usually read a few chunky books each year. I'd rather take my time reading a chunkster than rush through a bunch of shorter books just to hit a certain number. 

• Like 4

I finished a couple of books.

The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After by Julia Quinn was a fun read but would make little sense if you've not read The Bridgerton series. I enjoyed it.

"New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn presents a collection of “second epilogues” to her Bridgerton series plus a new bonus Bridgerton novella.

Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton series remains one of the most beloved among historical romance readers, and this collection of “second epilogues”—stories that take place after the original books end—offer fans more from their favorite characters."

His Bewildered Mate by Brea Alepoú was an okay read that ended on a cliffhanger. I don't expect to read on. (Adult content)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

It's been a while since I read a mystery and I was in need of one so I started Murder on Washington Square. I'm really enjoying this series. @aggieamy and @mumto2 have either of you read it? It's the Gaslight Mysteries and if you haven't read thm I think you'd both enjoy the series.

No, I haven’t mainly because I discovered them during my Brit Tripping year and being set in NY had to set them aside.  I just looked and my library has them, so placed the first on my wish list.

Also, I have noticed you never rate mysteries on Goodreads and personally think you need too!

I have started my 2021 planning but still have a few to finish for challenges for 2020 so am not as far as in a normal year planning wise!

Woot! @Robin M your lists look great!  Dragons has been fun and I am totally doing that one again!

• Like 4

Another finished challenge a book chain of 20 for 2020.  Next year I will do 21 as I enjoy this challenge!

Book Chain

1 Dragon Actually by GAAiken

2 Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs

3 Rock-a-Bye Bones by Carolyn Haines

4 Rock withWings by Anne Hillerman

5 Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

6 Shades of Earl Grey by Laura Childs

7 Agony of the Leaves by Laura Childs

8 Unforgivable by Laura Griffin

9 Scorched by Laura Griffin

10 Scorched by Rachel Butler

11 Falling for Rachel by Nora Roberts

12 Hideaway by Nora Roberts

13 The Summer Hideaway by Susan Wiggs

14 Queen Anne’s Lace by Susan Wittig Albert

15 A Plain Vanilla Murder by Susan Wittig Albert

16 Witch Way to Murder by Shirley Damsgaard

17 Slouch Witch by Helen Harper

18 Star Witch by Helen Harper

19 To Helen Back by Susan McBride

20 Back of Beyond by CJ Box

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Robin M said:

@mumto2   Woot Woot!    I'm reading my X author right now and I will have A to Z by Author. A cozy mystery:  Aunt Bessie Assumes by Diana Xarissa (#1 Isle of Man)

@-M-  I've been avoiding Wolf Hall, have had it in ebook in my stacks forever and finally dipped in the first two chapters a couple of evenings ago.  Now I want to read the whole thing.  Prefer my chunky books to be physical, why I don't know, I'm just odd that way. Put it on Christmas wish list for Hubby to buy.  He loves getting me chunky books, the longer the better.  

It’s fabulous. 📚 Hey, am I imagining this or was one of this year’s challenges to read three books by Agatha Christie?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

<snip>

For years I've complained about the fact that Goodreads doesn't let you do any goals other than a number but 2020 is the first year I decided to rebel. I didn't set a number on GR and of course I had no idea that would turn out to be a good thing, this being 2020 and all. 😄 That hasn't stopped GR from coming after me all year telling me it's not too late to join the challenge. I prefer to make goals about reading specific books, types of books, what's already on my shelf or my TBR list, etc. Basically, I prefer the kind of goals on @Robin M's 52 Books blog. 🙂 Goodreads recently asked on their facebook page what changes/improvements you'd like to see. I posted more or less what I just said above - a way to set goals that aren't number based. My post got a lot of likes and at least one comment agreeing with me. Apparently I'm not alone in wishing we could set different goals on GR.

<snip>

I love chunky books regardless of the format. Chunky books on Kindle however, are easier to carry with me everywhere and definitely easier to read in bed. 😄 I think this is one reason I don't like number goals for reading. I rarely read short stories or novellas. I mostly read average size books (300 - 500 pages) but also usually read a few chunky books each year. I'd rather take my time reading a chunkster than rush through a bunch of shorter books just to hit a certain number. 

Yes, I agree that Goodreads is not set up for different sorts of challenges. I have joined Goodreads groups a few times, but it seemed people just posted quick updates on their own goals; there was no real conversation at all. But, we have that here!

I think I am going to select a smaller goal on GR for 2021, just to set a goal. But I'm working on other goals (types of books like ignored classics, different sorts of nonfiction...). 

And yes to chunky books on Kindle! Actually I like having them in both formats so I can go back and forth as convenient. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, -M- said:

It’s fabulous. 📚 Hey, am I imagining this or was one of this year’s challenges to read three books by Agatha Christie?

Yes ma'am and no you aren't imagining things.   I have three in my virtual stacks but haven't gotten to them yet.  Thanks for the reminder.  Three weeks left in the year! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Another finished challenge a book chain of 20 for 2020.  Next year I will do 21 as I enjoy this challenge

Way to go! You are an inspiration. I need to take a look at my books and see if ended up forming a chain.  

• Like 2