Menu

If you have to fly and are worried about Covid exposure, get the TSA pre-check card

katilac

I don't think I've recommended this before, and I'm really sorry because I know some people have been angsty about necessary flying. 

This article, and others, talk about the risk of flying, and their conclusions may be comforting. More importantly, they talk about how the airport is actually a more likely place to be exposed, with going through security and waiting at the gate being the two things you want to decrease as much as possible. 

You can reduce the time in security lines massively by getting a TSA pre-check card. It costs $100 and usually takes 2-3 weeks. My dh has one, and you bypass the regular security line and the check itself goes quicker (because it doesn't include certain things). It's like a Disney World FastPass, if flying were as fun as Space Mountain. I get to tag along on his card when I'm with him, and I don't think we've ever waited more than 5 minutes. 

If you aren't a US citizen, you have to meet certain criteria or get a different card. 

Check it out here.

Edited to add: the card is good for like 5 years, so you do not have to fly often to make it worthwhile. dh says one flight is worth it, lol. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

We went to the airport together.  She had TSA Precheck, we did not.  She got on the plane; we did not.  We missed it by 30 seconds.  The cost of the taxi home was $100--that would have paid for the TSA Precheck had I got that before. 

oh man, what a painful lesson! 

I will say that dh has converted me, and I would indeed add $100 to the cost of single flight in order to have it, lol. 

I've been flying premium class.  Not usually that much more, (my flights are four hours) and 4 more inches of legroom.  I've been able to use the first class TSA lanes.  (I had to wait this time for two people.   Last time no one.)

And board the aircraft with the first class group.  (They've been boarding back to front - after first, kids, etc.)

Alaska has been blocking out the middle row.

37 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

we got it is that 2 years ago we went to Hawaii with a friend.   We went to the airport together.  She had TSA Precheck, we did not.  She got on the plane; we did not.  We missed it by 30 seconds.  

I was flying standby with a friend.   I guess as an airline worker she had it automatically, because we both had it on our tickets. We didn't get on the plane. (There were seven seats the night before) 

I paid to fly two weeks later, and it still had me in the system for TSA-Pre Check.  It was nice

• Like 1

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/flying-thanksgiving-tsa-tips-safe-traveling-pandemic

I read the above article this morning and sent the link to my DD.

First, I believe that there is little risk of getting COVID-19 or some other virus, while aboard a Civil Turbojet aircraft. The aircraft have air filtering systems that are extremely effective.

I believe there is much more risk of getting an infection in an airport before or after the flights.

For her next trip, I am thankful that 2 of her 3 flights will be on Delta Air Lines. They are blocking Middle Seats at least through 06 January 2021. God bless them for doing that, which will cost them a lot of $ during Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years.

Edited by Lanny
correct spelling error.

I love having TSA precheck, but do beware of two things.

1. You are not guaranteed pre-check. Not all airports have pre-check lines or utilize it all the time. I flew in March and pre-checks were closed at both airports (low staffing). Dh flew for years due to work, and has encountered this as well, so it isn't just COVID related. 

2. You can still be randomly selected to get a full screening. DD22 has been randomly selected twice LOL (Pretty, athletic, white girl so not pulled due to stereotypes).  Dh has been randomly selected as well. 

I will likely always pay to have pre-check just due to the convenience when it does work, but I just don't count on it. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I believe there is much more risk of getting an infection in an airport before or after the flights.

This.

Years ago I had the eye infection from %$^.

I fought the after effects for years and my health has never been the same.   I suspect adenovirus  ( one dr - I saw many while actively fighting it, said that's what he thought it was.).

I believe I picked it up at the airport. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

First, I believe that there is little risk of getting COVID-19 or some other virus, while aboard a Civil Turbojet aircraft. The aircraft have air filtering systems that are extremely effective.

I hear this  a lot - but how fast are they filtering? If the person who sits next to me (even if the middle seat is empty, they'd be 2 ft away ) removes their mask to eat/drink, I do not believe the air filtering can possibly help with that.

Yep. and the time spent in the security line is negligible compared to all the time spent at the terminal and, for international flights, the HOURS spent lining up at immigrations.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, katilac said:

I don't think I've recommended this before, and I'm really sorry because I know some people have been angsty about necessary flying. 

This article, and others, talk about the risk of flying, and their conclusions may be comforting. More importantly, they talk about how the airport is actually a more likely place to be exposed, with going through security and waiting at the gate being the two things you want to decrease as much as possible. 

You can reduce the time in security lines massively by getting a TSA pre-check card. It costs $100 and usually takes 2-3 weeks. My dh has one, and you bypass the regular security line and the check itself goes quicker (because it doesn't include certain things). It's like a Disney World FastPass, if flying were as fun as Space Mountain. I get to tag along on his card when I'm with him, and I don't think we've ever waited more than 5 minutes. 

If you aren't a US citizen, you have to meet certain criteria or get a different card. 

Check it out here.

Edited to add: the card is good for like 5 years, so you do not have to fly often to make it worthwhile. dh says one flight is worth it, lol. 

Do you know if this holds true all the time, automatically?  (All the TSA enrollment times are during my work hours.) 

I have had several family members who have had to fly recently for various reasons, and they experienced almost no lines--pre-check or not.  At my local airport only certain gates have pre-check lines.  So, you can be in a situation that you can wait 5 minutes at Gate 1 to go through security or walk 10 minutes to Gate 20 for a "zero wait".  

And, over the past few years, I have qualified for "pre-check" event though I have not gone through the process (and paid the $100).  I have also been to the airport when the "pre-check" was closed and there were some angry passengers who had paid for pre-check and were having to stand in long lines with everyone else.  How valuable pre-check is really depends upon how often you travel and through what airports, IMO.

If you do want to get precheck, some credit cards will reimburse for the fee.  

• Like 2

We have Global Entry, which includes TSA precheck. With Global Entry you get in a special line that is usually much shorter when coming back into the US. You do have to go to a Customs Office to get finger printed and answer a few questions. 

We've had PreCheck since it first came out — they used to randomly select people to get it on their boarding passes, in the hope it would encourage people to sign up after they see how much faster and easier it is. And it worked, because we signed up right away, lol. But they've significantly cut back on that now that so many people are enrolled. We have Global Entry now, which doubles as PreCheck within the US. 

As several people mentioned, though, PreCheck lines are not always available at every airport, or at all times even at airports that normally have separate lines. For example, at the airport near DS's college, they have a separate line for showing ID, but then you have to go through the scanners with everyone else. They just give you a card that says you don't have to take off your shoes or jacket, but you still have to take electronics and toiletries out of your carryon bags, which is a PITA.

ETA: Whether they will allow multiple people to use the PreCheck line if only one has it on their boarding pass must vary depending on the airport or agent, because that has not been true in my experience. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

I've found that when you're a gray-haired old lady, wearing a long dress, you often get pulled into the shorter line! 😉 

Thank you for the memory!  In 2001, when DD was 6 months old, we made a trip to the USA on Delta Air Lines, because we had the Frequent Flyer Miles for 2  free tickets and we bought a ticket for DD.  

We were on a Delta flight from Atlanta to Bogota. A lot of other International flights landed at about the same time as our flight did. We were in Immigration, which at that time was run by the "Secret Police" (DAS) which I never thought was that secret. DD was in her Stroller. We had come from DFW to ATL and then to BOG.  A nice man from the DAS came over to us and told us to go to the line for Diplomats. Obviously he saw DD in her Stroller.   🙂

The follow-on to the above is that this month, November 2020.  DD will take that same Delta Air Lines flight, by herself, from ATL to BOG...   🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

I hear this  a lot - but how fast are they filtering? If the person who sits next to me (even if the middle seat is empty, they'd be 2 ft away ) removes their mask to eat/drink, I do not believe the air filtering can possibly help with that.

Yep. and the time spent in the security line is negligible compared to all the time spent at the terminal and, for international flights, the HOURS spent lining up at immigrations.

I know here the people in your row and the people immediate behind and in front are deemed close contacts for contact tracing.  Whereas the rest of the flight might get a general media alert but not a phone call.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tap said:

1. You are not guaranteed pre-check. Not all airports have pre-check lines or utilize it all the time. I flew in March and pre-checks were closed at both airports (low staffing). Dh flew for years due to work, and has encountered this as well, so it isn't just COVID related. 

2. You can still be randomly selected to get a full screening. DD22 has been randomly selected twice LOL (Pretty, athletic, white girl so not pulled due to stereotypes).  Dh has been randomly selected as well. 

Yes, definitely. They make a big point of saying that they can't have anything related to security be 100% the same all the time. 

They do have a list of participating locations. 

6 hours ago, regentrude said:

Correct. This is addressed in that article - if you have the bad luck to be seated in front, behind, next to, or right across the aisle from an infected person, the air filtering is really not helping you. 

6 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Do you know if this holds true all the time, automatically?  (All the TSA enrollment times are during my work hours.) 

I would have said yes, because we've never had it questioned, but the rules say no - each adult is meant to have their own. So my experience has been that they allow it, but it is not the rule. 

18 hours ago, katilac said:

Yes, definitely. They make a big point of saying that they can't have anything related to security be 100% the same all the time. 

They do have a list of participating locations. 

Correct. This is addressed in that article - if you have the bad luck to be seated in front, behind, next to, or right across the aisle from an infected person, the air filtering is really not helping you. 

I would have said yes, because we've never had it questioned, but the rules say no - each adult is meant to have their own. So my experience has been that they allow it, but it is not the rule. 

Thanks!  We were planning to fly to see our new grandson, but I"m beginning to doubt the wisdom of it.  Ughh, heartbreaking! 

On 11/14/2020 at 4:32 PM, regentrude said:

As I write this, I can't remember what the Air Filtration system in the Cabin of a Civil Turbojet aircraft is called. HEPA or HEEPA or possibly another acryonom.    They filter approimately 99.5% of any contaminants and they do it extremely frequently. Recently I read that the Dept. of Defense borrowed 2 different models of Civil Turbojets from United and they tested this. In October or November.  

Now, if someone wants to get sick on a Civil Turbojet, drink Water or a drink made with water that didn't come out of a bottle or a can.  Even washing your hands in the bathroom could be bad, but I was taught to wash my hands after finishing in the bathroom so I would wash  my hands.   It is extremely difficult for them to keep the water in the tanks clean...

I watched a video this morning on YouTube, which I don't usually do, uploaded by a man who lives in Minneapolis.  After the COVID-19 changed things (in the USA they did not stop airline flights as they did here in Colombia) he took trips on 4 different airlines, to cities about 2 hours from Minneapolis.  The "Bottom Line", in his non-scientific experience, was that Delta was the best of them, then Southwest, then United and then American.  With regard to cleanliness of the aircraft cabins, the Check in Procedures, the Gate Procedures, Loading and Deplaning procedures, etc.

I am extremely happy that my DD will be coming from the USA on Delta this month.   And so grateful to them that they say they will block off Middle Seats at least through 06 January 2021.  (She  changed the first flight, 2 days ago, to an earlier flight, which increased her scheduled connection time from 1'24" to 3"10" and I am also grateful she was able to do that without needing to pay)   The airlines are being very fleixible about changes, because of COVID-19 and that's also very nice of them.  

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

As I write this, I can't remember what the Air Filtration system in the Cabin of a Civil Turbojet aircraft is called. HEPA or HEEPA or possibly another acryonom.    They filter approimately 99.5% of any contaminants and they do it extremely frequently. Recently I read that the Dept. of Defense borrowed 2 different models of Civil Turbojets from United and they tested this. In October or November.  

HEPA filters. Here's an article on them: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/2020/08/how-clean-is-the-air-on-your-airplane-coronavirus-cvd/

I have been running two HEPA filtrarion systems with UVC in my studio/classroom. It definitely improves the air quality, and my allergy symptoms are much improved, so I definitely feel it's filtering something. 

On 11/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, Lanny said:

As I write this, I can't remember what the Air Filtration system in the Cabin of a Civil Turbojet aircraft is called. HEPA or HEEPA or possibly another acryonom.    They filter approimately 99.5% of any contaminants and they do it extremely frequently.

But what about the 45 minutes to often well over one hour at the gate while passengers are boarding? The air circulation isn't on then (I just read that planes are typically not connected to the gate power and only running on aux power.) I know it's super stuffy until the plane starts actually moving.
And that's when people are pushing and shoving in close proximity in narrow aisles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

But what about the 45 minutes to often well over one hour at the gate while passengers are boarding? The air circulation isn't on then (I just read that planes are typically not connected to the gate power and only running on aux power.) I know it's super stuffy until the plane starts actually moving.
And that's when people are pushing and shoving in close proximity in narrow aisles.

I noticed that the flight my DD will go to ATL (Atlanta) on uses the same flight number, when it goes to the city she is (RDU or Raleigh/Durham)  in and then back to ATL. The scheduled time from Gate Arrival to Pushback is 90 minutes. What I have read (and saw in the video the man from Minneapolis posted that I watched a day or 2 ago) indicated changes in Boarding and Deplaning procedures, depending upon the carrier involved. Their procedures vary. A lot...

I don't know whether or not the aircraft is running on the APU (Auxillary Power Unit) while at the Loading Bridge.  I tend to doubt that, but I am assuming and I try not to assume. And, yes, in years past, before COVID-19, I know that after Pushback, when they did start the APU, that it would take awhile on a hot day for the cabin to cool down, once the doors were closed and the air conditioning was running.