Menu

Halloween costume thread (2020 edition)

alisoncooks

I'm (frantically) finishing oldest DD's costume. She'll be Bakugou from My Hero Academia. Youngest DD will be Dipper Pines (Gravity Falls). 

Both costumes are pieced together from thrift store items and foam/felt. I'll share pics when I finish. Oldest DD's has been the most challenging -- making the "grenade gauntlets" was a beast -- but it's mostly done.

Anyone else racing the clock? Wanna share what your kids are dressing up as? Pics are always fun... 😉 

Last I heard, my kids were planning to be zombies.  They were zombies for last week's "Thriller" marching band performance, and mentioned they'd do that again for Halloween.  My youngest was worrying about how to do her horse's costume, but the barn party was cancelled.

Last year my kids were hilarious.  They and a friend were "two Grecian urns and a fountain."  Most people had no idea what it meant, but it was funny to those of us who did.  😛

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 15 yr old is going/went as the characters Sans from the video game Undertale; a friend of ours had already custom-printed him a facemask with the Sans smile on it, so he just ran with it.  The hardest part of that one was finding white leggings/pants/something for him to wear on his legs that he would be willing to wear (so, no girl tights....). 

My 19 yr old announced on Monday that yes, he did want to dress up, and could we please make/compile/come up with stuff to turn him into one of the robots from the Mega Man games (Quick Man, for any who wish to look that up). Red boot covers, a red breastplate thing, red helmet, red gloves.....thank goodness my sister is here and whipped up the boot covers in roughly no time flat, we got the breastplate constructed, ordered assorted bits from Amazon that *should* arrive in time, and today will be adding the details to the breastplate, figuring out the gauntlet(s) (his throw boomerangs, but I think we have a plan of how to construct it/them.....) and getting him to try it on (and possibly taking in the side panels that we put on, if he can then still put the thing on over his head once I do that....). 

Same 19 yr old is claiming he's only going to wear this here, at home, upstairs, in our game room, for when his friends come over for a D&D session.......DH is working to convince him that they had better go walk around and trick or treat, with this much effort (and last minute rush) over a costume...... (luckily, we had the red material at home already from previous years' leftovers....). 

• Like 3

DD is reusing her Team Rocket Cosplay from last year. Tonight, unless Zeta cancels it (we're out if the path, but tend to get heavy rain and wind from Gulf hurricanes) is the "Drive Boo"-the theater kids from the performing arts center, dance kids, some of the high school classes, and other folks are creating displays and dressing up, and parents will drive their kids through to see the displays (and the kids will get a bag of treats sponsored by local businesses), so DD and I will be setting up her elaborate Pokemon themed display, she'll be acting, and I'll probably be directing traffic. 

We've filled little bags (with snakes on them-I bought a TON of the year of the snake stuff back in 2013, and we're finally using the last of it!)  with treats and will be spreading them out on a table for trick or treaters on Halloween night.  We have an inflatable dragon, plus a few repurposed inflatable pool toys (a giant snake and an alligator) that DD has set up (at night, in shadows, the pool toys are a little more convincing). We've been one of "the houses" to visit for Halloween for years, and DD could not stomach the idea of giving that up her senior year. So, the kids will be taking their bags of "treasure" from the "dragon's lair", but we can stay safely back and just come out between groups to refill the treasure. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

DD is reusing her Team Rocket Cosplay from last year. Tonight, unless Zeta cancels it (we're out if the path, but tend to get heavy rain and wind from Gulf hurricanes) is the "Drive Boo"-the theater kids from the performing arts center, dance kids, some of the high school classes, and other folks are creating displays and dressing up, and parents will drive their kids through to see the displays (and the kids will get a bag of treats sponsored by local businesses), so DD and I will be setting up her elaborate Pokemon themed display, she'll be acting, and I'll probably be directing traffic. 

We've filled little bags (with snakes on them-I bought a TON of the year of the snake stuff back in 2013, and we're finally using the last of it!)  with treats and will be spreading them out on a table for trick or treaters on Halloween night.  We have an inflatable dragon, plus a few repurposed inflatable pool toys (a giant snake and an alligator) that DD has set up (at night, in shadows, the pool toys are a little more convincing). We've been one of "the houses" to visit for Halloween for years, and DD could not stomach the idea of giving that up her senior year. So, the kids will be taking their bags of "treasure" from the "dragon's lair", but we can stay safely back and just come out between groups to refill the treasure. 

This sounds great! 

I'm still working out how exactly to set up to pass out candy....I know I'll have a table, but hadn't thought about decorating it......that's a good idea. 

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

My 15 yr old is going/went as the characters Sans from the video game Undertale; a friend of ours had already custom-printed him a facemask with the Sans smile on it, so he just ran with it.  The hardest part of that one was finding white leggings/pants/something for him to wear on his legs that he would be willing to wear (so, no girl tights....). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Blah, I can't seem to get quote to work. @TheReader - my 12 yr old loooves Sans. He's her favorite & she considered being him for Halloween...but I wasn't sure how to do the face. 

yea, the custom printed mask helped for sure. We got face paint for the rest, but he chose not to use it. I think it would have been hard other wise; luckily, our neighbor has some fancy machine thing that she uses to make t-shirts and such, and had been doing custom masks, so it was perfect (we actually had her do that for him when he started his in-person stuff back at co-op...).

He did carry a toy/stuffed Sans when he went to Youth Group last night so that people would realize he was "someone" not just "a casual guy," LOL! 

• Like 1

My oldest adult daughter and her husband went as her: Mr. Rogers (blue keds, sweater, tie) and him: Daniel Tiger (tiger head hat, red shirt) as their couple's costume. Middle daughter and her husband didn't dress up. Youngest (15) went as a character from her favorite anime in a white sweat shirt, red sweater tied around her waist, and funky eyeliner.  Shrug. Some kids don't get that regular clothes from a tv show no adults watch doesn't read as a costume to most people.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Youngest (15) went as a character from her favorite anime in a white sweat shirt, red sweater tied around her waist, and funky eyeliner.  Shrug. Some kids don't get that regular clothes from a tv show no adults watch doesn't read as a costume to most people.

Yes! I've had to explain this, too. (Especially when it's non-mainstream anime. Most aren't going to recognize that...)

On 10/29/2020 at 9:21 AM, TheReader said:

We had an Undertale theme this year.  Ds 7 was Sans, ds3 was Papyrus, dd5 was Turial, dd10 was Chara, my nephew was Frisk, and my niece was Mettaton.  I can't post it publicaly because I don't have permission from my brother but I'll send it privately. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Junie said:

What a beautiful baby pumpkin!

Thank you. She is certainly beautiful. What is missing from this picture is her cousin who is a day younger than her sitting next to her in his polar bear costume crying uncontrollably. The picture of the two of them is the epitome of raising children. Thankfully he wasn't sad for long.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hjffkj said:

We had an Undertale theme this year.  Ds 7 was Sans, ds3 was Papyrus, dd5 was Turial, dd10 was Chara, my nephew was Frisk, and my niece was Mettaton.  I can't post it publicaly because I don't have permission from my brother but I'll send it privately. 

oh, fun! I'll have to take a peek and send ours. The 15 yr old couldn't convince any of the older brothers to go along with him and make a theme of it, but his turned out well. 

Ours got together with some cousins and all dressed up as Harry Potter characters. My kids love theme costumes. Last year they were characters from Peter Pan, the year before they were all superheroes and once a long time ago they were the characters from the game Clue, the littlest one was two then and he was the dice! Trick or treat is such a fun day!