Menu

WWYD - C19 testing

Night Elf

I've had a mild cough since this weekend. I'm talking extremely sporadic throughout the day. It's just a regular dry cough. No hacking. Nothing wet. No fits. Just a light cough and it's over. This morning I woke up with a low grade fever, 99.7. The thing that concerned me was that I never run a fever. Not even when I'm sick with a cold. I haven't had a fever since I was a kid. So I called Kaiser and talked to the front line, who then put me through to the advice nurse, who advised I have a video appointment with a doctor. The doctor decided I should quarantine until Thursday and be tested Thursday morning to give the virus time to settle in my body if I even do have the virus. He gave me a work excuse through Thursday and said I could return to work Friday. 

However, I have coughed very little today and my temp went back down to normal and stayed that way all day. Should I still go get tested if I don't have a fever? Should I really stay out of work? I feel like this is being blown out of proportion because of the caution everyone is taking. I feel fine. WWYD?

1 minute ago, Danae said:

Self isolate and get tested. Just because you feel fine doesn't mean you don't have C-19 and if you have it you can spread it to others who might have a much worse case.

This. 

It is people  not thinking it a problem and that it is all a big hype  that is causing the continual spread. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

It's just a regular dry cough. 

Listen to your doctor. You would feel terrible if you wind up exposing people when it's just a couple of days. 

60% of patients present with a dry cough, only about 30% with a wet cough. 

• Like 1

It's got to be my job. Many of my customers don't wear masks. Our counter isn't large so I'm definitely not 6 feet away from them while I'm sorting out their merchandise. We have plexiglass in front of the register but it's rare that someone will step over to it while I'm ringing up their items and accepting their payment. Usually we just conduct all business over the small counter. So if I do have C19, I was exposed by a customer. So I can see returning to work isn't a good idea but I really hate the idea of being tested. The description of how they do it is so awful.

Kaiser told me they usually look for a fever of 100.4 or higher so my 99.7 is close enough to that so they want me to test. But it went back down to between 97.9 to 98.4 the rest of the day. I was just thinking if I had the virus, wouldn't my fever be continual?

2 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

It's got to be my job. Many of my customers don't wear masks. Our counter isn't large so I'm definitely not 6 feet away from them while I'm sorting out their merchandise. We have plexiglass in front of the register but it's rare that someone will step over to it while I'm ringing up their items and accepting their payment. Usually we just conduct all business over the small counter. So if I do have C19, I was exposed by a customer. So I can see returning to work isn't a good idea but I really hate the idea of being tested. The description of how they do it is so awful.

Kaiser told me they usually look for a fever of 100.4 or higher so my 99.7 is close enough to that so they want me to test. But it went back down to between 97.9 to 98.4 the rest of the day. I was just thinking if I had the virus, wouldn't my fever be continual?

Covid fevers often come and go, and something like 30% of people with it never have a fever at all. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

No.  You can be infected and have no fever, fever that comes and goes, or continual fever.  This virus is all over the place as far as symptoms go.  So if you have any symptoms you should isolate and test.

• Like 3

Isolate then test.

your symptoms are very typical for early / mild CV19.

it may not be that, but then again it may be...

I would probably also give a call to my local health department and ask what else is “going around “ in your area right now. 

Even if u test negative, given high rate of false negatives you should isolate until your symptoms are gone, or they figure out that it’s some other non contagious problem—was my understanding. 

The idea of return to work Friday if you don’t yet at the very least have a negative test result and no symptoms, no cough, does not make sense to me.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Night Elf said:

It's not a horrible test - not fun, but not horrifying. My dd just had it done for a hospital admission. After the swab, she said she felt like she had a sneeze coming on that wouldn't come out. Blew her nose a few times and decided it was better. 

Self isolate and get tested. 

• Like 1

DH was showing Lyme symptoms but with the fever they recommended the Covid rest. We were 100% sure he didn’t have it but with everyone freaking out over this thing,  it was valuable to say “he’s tested, he doesn’t have it”. It was a no big deal test at all he says. (Negative and of course he has lyme as we thought). 

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I dunno, DH said it felt like they were trying to swab his brain lol

I said that too, lol,  but that doesn't mean the pain is terrible, it means that it's a completely weird feeling. You're not used to that part of your innards touched. The pain itself is like a burning sensation for a few seconds, kind of like getting a cinder in your eye, and it disappears  much more quickly than the pain from something like a cortisone shot. So, not fun, but it was over quickly and I hopped up and drove home. It doesn't make you feel bad or weak or anything afterwards. 

• Like 2

DH and I both were tested yesterday as part of community screening (we did not have symptoms).  DH complained about it more than I did.  It did make we want to gag (I have a strong gag reflex) but it wasn't as bad as going to the dentist.  (We got our results today and were both negative.)

If I were in your situation a lot would depend upon how wide-spread COVID was in my area and where I could go to get tested.  I would want to be tested at a site where I thought there was little chance of my being exposed while I was being tested.  

• Like 1

If you go to work and then get tested and then find out that you are indeed positive, all of your co-workers will have to quarantine.  And any known customers.  And all of their families...

Please stay home and get tested.

• Like 5