Menu

If you could take a vacation tour...

ChrisB

I would love local food and/or local beer tours that are strongly associated with geographic areas.. 

Like you said....BBQ of the South

Tex-Mex

Authentic Mexican (but on US side of border- I don't have a passport)

Maybe Little Italy or Chinatown

Seafood in North Atlantic states

I think I could go on and on and on. Haha

• Like 2

Sign me up for:

All the Cool Places It Talks about in SotW Tour

Waterfalls of the World Tour

Famous Places in Literature Tour - things like Baker Street in London, the Bastille, Huck Finn's Mississippi River, etc

Places Jesus Walked Tour

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

What we love to see on travel is unique to all of us I guess. We've done the Taj Mahal, the fortresses, the palaces and also the Stately homes in the UK. Crown Jewels was quite disappointing in person for me. They seemed much prettier in the pictures. So too was Chatsworth (the Pride and Prejudice BBC House) got quite bored. I really have no art appreciation bone at all in my body so great paintings are better seen in pictures, not museums for me though I like Science and Natural History type museums. So I guess I am a neanderthal that does not appreciate history or art. 😊

But food is literally my love language. I don't want to eat Bizzare Foods like Andrew Zimmerman 🤣, more Anthony Bourdain style. Go to a place and have a local take you around to little markets, eat a home cooked meal, specialities that only locals know. I really miss Bourdain for his show, he had a wonderful way of appreciating food. 

I would love to see the Taj Mahal. That may have to go on my list. And maybe the palaces/stately homes of the UK.

Now see, I do love the art museums, the Prado in Madrid or Vatican museums being two of my favorites, but sometimes those need to be taken in small, slow bites to truly appreciate. (hard to do when you have travel time constraints.)  Or walk through at a moderate pace until something strikes you and then pause and observe. Or get an automated tour that tells you of the most notable things... If I don't do one of these, I get stimuli overload.  It's the "fun" of art to see what resonates with each person.

20 hours ago, Tap said:

I would love local food and/or local beer tours that are strongly associated with geographic areas.. 

Like you said....BBQ of the South

Tex-Mex

Authentic Mexican (but on US side of border- I don't have a passport)

Maybe Little Italy or Chinatown

Seafood in North Atlantic states

I think I could go on and on and on. Haha

There's something about immersing oneself in a local culture that makes you appreciate the uniqueness and sensible simplicities of life, and food plays a major part.  So you'll get to eat your way around the States! Plenty to eat...I'm in!

18 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

Sign me up for:

All the Cool Places It Talks about in SotW Tour

Waterfalls of the World Tour

Famous Places in Literature Tour - things like Baker Street in London, the Bastille, Huck Finn's Mississippi River, etc

Places Jesus Walked Tour

Me too! 

Traveling puts things in prospective for me. First time in Europe I realized how close everything is.  When you grow up studying years of European history that spans over several leaders, years, and events, you start to think it's a large geographical area. For me it was like each country was the size of the US. (not quite, but still big) But after visiting, it was like moving from one state to the next--much closer than in my head.

• Like 1

https://www.gq.com/story/best-hot-springs-in-the-world

"Hot springs tour around the world" is what came to my mind with this topic. Perhaps because I am currently elevating my very swollen feet. A kind friend delivered Epsom salt this evening so I can take a soothing soak.

This thread had me stop and reflect on how fortunate I have been over the years to see so much of the world. Growing up in a military family was not easy, but I did get to see a Viking museum and the fjords of Norway, castles and cathedrals all over Europe, the excavated ruins of Pompeii, cliff dwellings and caves in New Mexico, waterfalls and black sands in Hawaii, and so much amazing food.  I have always been an avid museum fan, and have visited hundreds! In college (even though I was an econ major) I took a museum studies class that took us behind the scenes of different museums each week. Fascinating! 

• Like 3

On 5/28/2020 at 6:19 PM, QueenCat said:

Hubby is a foodie... I just want to be on an uncrowded beach.  We both love history and balance our trips between lots of history and the beach. 

You had me at food and beach! Comforting things.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 9:21 PM, slackermom said:

https://www.gq.com/story/best-hot-springs-in-the-world

"Hot springs tour around the world" is what came to my mind with this topic. Perhaps because I am currently elevating my very swollen feet. A kind friend delivered Epsom salt this evening so I can take a soothing soak.

This thread had me stop and reflect on how fortunate I have been over the years to see so much of the world. Growing up in a military family was not easy, but I did get to see a Viking museum and the fjords of Norway, castles and cathedrals all over Europe, the excavated ruins of Pompeii, cliff dwellings and caves in New Mexico, waterfalls and black sands in Hawaii, and so much amazing food.  I have always been an avid museum fan, and have visited hundreds! In college (even though I was an econ major) I took a museum studies class that took us behind the scenes of different museums each week. Fascinating! 

Although I'm not as well traveled as your amazing list, I agree that I've been fortunate to go and see where and what I have.  Hot springs sound fabulous! 

ETA:  And, a few on that list are right here in the States, fairly easy to get to.

Edited by ChrisB

On 5/28/2020 at 9:32 PM, alisoncooks said:

I'd have to think a bit about what I'd like....but I can tell ya: DH would probably like a Diners, Drive-ins & Dives road trip! He loves Guy Fieri, lol, and is always saying he'd like to eat at some of these places from the show. 😋 

That would be a fun tour. I always wonder about the undeserved hype for some of those places, but I'd try it out. 

Edited by ChrisB

DH and I went to Alaska last year and he caught a quick glimpse of the Northern Lights. So now we have plans to take a Northern Lights tour in the future. We'd love to see the Northern Lights from a few different places. We'd also like to cross the Arctic Circle while we're at it.

Edited by scbusf
  • Like 4

I would take a Breads of the World tour, to eat and learn to bake the different types of bread that different places specialize in. I would start in France, move through Europe, then on to the rest of the world. If no bread is available, I’ll take noodles or whatever is the carb du jour.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, emba56 said:

I would take a Breads of the World tour, to eat and learn to bake the different types of bread that different places specialize in. I would start in France, move through Europe, then on to the rest of the world. If no bread is available, I’ll take noodles or whatever is the carb du jour.

Can I combine your bread tour with a flight of olive oil?  I’d love to do a tasting of really good oils. Heck, I like the regular grocery store stuff. The fancy stuff must be amazing!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Can I combine your bread tour with a flight of olive oil?  I’d love to do a tasting of really good oils. Heck, I like the regular grocery store stuff. The fancy stuff must be amazing!

Oooohhhh ..... an olive oil tour. I am so there.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 7:23 PM, scbusf said:

DH and I went to Alaska last year and he caught a quick glimpse of the Northern Lights. So now we have plans to take a Northern Lights tour in the future. We'd love to see the Northern Lights from a few different places. We'd also like to cross the Arctic Circle while we're at it.

You could try northern Minnesota. I've seen them there. Beautiful!

On 5/30/2020 at 10:22 PM, emba56 said:

Let's pair that with the olive oil and cheese and chocolate and...notice a trend?!? 👍

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 1:18 AM, Margaret in CO said:

I almost got to take the trip I was hoping for: Tiger Cruise on a carrier. We had it all planned, but then at the last moment the XO couldn't decide when dd was heading back to the carrier from the USNS Bridge. A Tiger Cruise is when you pick up your relative's carrier in HI and then transit back to the States, in this case, San Diego. You stay in the berthing (dd had a pretty nice stateroom at that point), and get to watch from Vulture's Row, etc. This deployment won't have TCs. Bummer. 

Count me in! I'm not much for big cruises, but this sounds extremely interesting.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:46 AM, purpleowl said:

Beautiful bookstores of the world.

I'll also hop on board the bread & olive oil tour. And the chocolates tour. Actually, I think just sign me up for a tour of vacation tours, please. 😉 

HA! So true!

On 5/31/2020 at 11:13 AM, angelaguptathomas said:

I'm planning a plantation tour in SC and GA this summer. 

I love the low country in  the sultry still of summer.

This reminds me of childhood, hot, humid, and no A/C, something about the simple life...good memories.  I'd also like to tour the plantations, connection to history.

• Like 1