Menu

If you followFlyLady or some variations or other cleaning schedules

SereneHome

How do you handle the "rest of the bathroom". She keeps talking about wiping sinks and toilets, but what about bathtubs and showers? And floors? With tons of little hairs all over the place and other crap that gets just as dirty. 

Same with the kitchen. My floor gets much dirtier than my sink.

I am trying to get myself on a better cleaning schedule, but I think I need a better picture in my head and I am curious as to how others handle good housekeeping 🙂

Bathroom floors get swept or vacuumed weekly when I vacuum the house.  Two of the bathrooms get swept other times if litter has been spread (that's a kid job, too.).  I always mop on bathroom week and often at least one more time in the month.

Tubs/showers get scrubbed during bathroom week.

The kitchen floor is a daily child job.  I mop it at least twice a month.  Ideally I mop the kitchen weekly, realistically it's more like 3 times a month. 

• Like 1

Our kitchen floor gets swept/vacuumed twice each day, bathrooms every evening, and all floors are washed every night.  I have 2 kids in charge of kitchen/DR floors after meals and one kid per bathroom for wipe down/floors. It doesn't take long and prevents true grossness from building up. Kitchen floor takes maybe 10 minutes, bathrooms 10 minutes with wipe down (mirrors, sinks, toilets) included.

2 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

Our kitchen floor gets swept/vacuumed twice each day, bathrooms every evening, and all floors are washed every night.  I have 2 kids in charge of kitchen/DR floors after meals and one kid per bathroom for wipe down/floors. It doesn't take long and prevents true grossness from building up. Kitchen floor takes maybe 10 minutes, bathrooms 10 minutes with wipe down (mirrors, sinks, toilets) included.

oh wow!!!

I always wash our floors by hand so no way it's possible for me to do it daily!

The detail work is done when you work in the bathroom zone.  The zones rotate so the bathroom zone will come around every 5 weeks or so.  

There’s the weekly blessing hour when you dash around the house doing the vacuuming, sweeping, and feather dusting.  You would sweep the bathroom floor during the weekly blessing.  But for the scrubbing of the tub (and mopping of floors), that’s during the zone week.  

Well, that’s how I do it anyway.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Garga said:

The detail work is done when you work in the bathroom zone.  The zones rotate so the bathroom zone will come around every 5 weeks or so.  

There’s the weekly blessing hour when you dash around the house doing the vacuuming, sweeping, and feather dusting.  You would sweep the bathroom floor during the weekly blessing.  But for the scrubbing of the tub (and mopping of floors), that’s during the zone week.  

Well, that’s how I do it anyway.

That's the part of her system that doesn't make sense to me - why am I washing my sink daily but my toilet every 5 wks. I found someone on youtube who was combining FlyLady and Clean mama - but I think this person only has a few videos, so I haven't gotten her ideas yet.

I also need to find a good toilet brush....

1 minute ago, SereneHome said:

That's the part of her system that doesn't make sense to me - why am I washing my sink daily but my toilet every 5 wks. I found someone on youtube who was combining FlyLady and Clean mama - but I think this person only has a few videos, so I haven't gotten her ideas yet.

I also need to find a good toilet brush....

Well, there is swish and swipe, where you swish out the inside of the toilet with the brush and wipe the outside down, but don’t use a bunch of cleaners until the zone week, and then you use cleanser.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Garga said:

Well, there is swish and swipe, where you swish out the inside of the toilet with the brush and wipe the outside down, but don’t use a bunch of cleaners until the zone week, and then you use cleanser.  

yes, your right, I meant to say "shower and bathtub", not toilet.

• Like 2

I don't follow FL, but use her task list as reminders.

Once a week, I clean our bathrooms.  This includes taking a handful of damp TP & wiping the perimeter of the bathroom floor.
It picks up an astounding amount of gunk. 
In 2 minutes.

I enjoy watching The Secret Slob, who follows FL, but has 3 (cute) little kids.
She brings a human dimension to all the lists.
And she really hustles when she cleans!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcQoDJmCGW2PvwB075I3GyA

• Like 2

Just now, Beth S said:

I don't follow FL, but use her task list as reminders.

Once a week, I clean our bathrooms.  This includes taking a handful of damp TP & wiping the perimeter of the bathroom floor.
It picks up an astounding amount of gunk. 
In 2 minutes.

I enjoy watching The Secret Slob, who follows FL, but has 3 (cute) little kids.
She brings a human dimension to all the lists.
And she really hustles when she cleans!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcQoDJmCGW2PvwB075I3GyA

Yes, I watch her every week!! She seems so so nice and not fake.

• Like 1

I love Secret Slob too!  She has a printable that helps tie the whole Flylady plan together.  If you go to one of her recent "Plan with Me" videos on her YouTube channel she'll have the link in her description box. 

I added bathrooms to my Weekly Home Blessing. When you're keeping up with everything like routines, zone cleaning, swish and swipes, hot spots, it doesn't take that long. 

I have my whole family help with the Weekly Home Blessing so we get it all done in 1 hour. We change sheets, empty trash, dust all rooms, vacuum all floors, mop everywhere that needs it and clean bathrooms. Nothing is done thoroughly, because that's where the zone cleaning comes in, but if you do a Weekly Home Blessing, the house stays in pretty good condition. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

So I just spent over an hour on amazon looking for toilet brush....

honestly I've been pretty impressed with the $1.50 (ish) one from IKEA.  A friend raved about it and so I grabbed one.  While I wish it had a bit of an angle, it certainly cleans much better than any of my previous 3 or 4 toilet brushes.

4 hours ago, SereneHome said:

oh wow!!!

I always wash our floors by hand so no way it's possible for me to do it daily!

Absolutely washing floors by hand here, too. It's part of my arm workout, lol. Throw in kids to help and it's done quickly especially smaller bathroom floors.

14 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

Absolutely washing floors by hand here, too. It's part of my arm workout, lol. Throw in kids to help and it's done quickly especially smaller bathroom floors.

I can not explain how impressed I am by you and your kids!!!!

6 hours ago, freesia said:

Tubs/showers get scrubbed during bathroom week.

So much less exciting than Shark Week 😄

I'm digging the Motivated Moms app (iphone or Android). It has a bazillion different tasks on a certain schedule, but it is super easy to edit, delete, change the frequency, whatever. You can add completely new tasks as well. Tasks can be assigned to a person or a room, and sorted by person, room, frequency or alphabetically. 

The pre-set list has chores I would never think of doing, lol, and it's very satisfying to click them done. It's $12 a year, very well worth it. 

Oh, bonus thought: I love that I can add a task anytime I think of it, bc I generally always have my phone. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2

Make the schedule work for you, don't try to fit into hers. I have my bathrooms scheduled for a weekly clean. This is everything you mentioned. When it's the bathroom zone, I do more serious things like wash the walls, scrub the tub with Easy Off Fume Free (the only cleaner I've found that will take that layer of yuck off the tub/shower), scrub baseboards. All the stuff that doesn't really need to be done weekly.

I've got sweep the whole house on my schedule three times a week. I've got pets and pet hair accumulates everywhere. You could add mopping to your daily plan. My daily plan is short because I touch everything on a weekly basis. But some things are obviously daily like wiping down kitchen counters and stove top and her recommended bathroom tidy which is just a quick wipe.

I should say I haven't seen Flylady's lists in a very long time. I modified them to fit my home. I think I took her weekly blessing hour and added it to my weekly plan. That way I touch the whole house at least once a week. I have certain chores that are done on certain days of the week, then I have a short daily plan of things that need to be done every day. Zones are for deep cleaning only. 

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 1

Every room in my house has a day of the week for “serious” cleaning. (I have a small house, which makes that doable, but I also believe each room gets dirtier faster than a larger house.)

With that routine, I sometimes choose to skip a room for the week because it’s been kept up. My master bathroom might skip 2 weeks because dh and I aren’t as gross as the kids. But, yeah, their bathroom generally gets a full detail every Wednesday.  I already did the toilet this morning and will get to the rest of it after more coffee!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SereneHome said:

How do you handle the "rest of the bathroom". She keeps talking about wiping sinks and toilets, but what about bathtubs and showers? And floors? With tons of little hairs all over the place and other crap that gets just as dirty. 

Same with the kitchen. My floor gets much dirtier than my sink.

I am trying to get myself on a better cleaning schedule, but I think I need a better picture in my head and I am curious as to how others handle good housekeeping 🙂

I think you have to add that to your personal schedule and how often that needs to be done will vary.  Once a week, I scrub down my shower/tub while I'm in there.  That may be weird, but the tub is deep and it's easier this way.  I spray on scrubbing bubbles the night before so I have no choice but to wipe everything down in the morning. I try to keep a bare minimum of products out to make this easier.  It would probably be best practices to dry the shower/tub with a towel daily to stay on top of it. We did that in the military, but I don't have it in me to care THAT much.

We shed, so I vacuum the bathroom floors whenever I vacuum the rest of the house and do a quick mop as necessary. For me, keeping surfaces as bare as possible is the key to quick cleaning.  

• Like 1