Menu

College Fall 2020 - Virtual or In-Person? What do you think?

mirabillis

My son is in his third week at Western Carolina.  I feel that every day he is there is a gift.  Tonight he had organic chem lab and made acetaminophen.  He was so excited!  He said normally they do this lab at the end of the semester, but I think they've moved some things up because it is likely that they won't make it the whole semester.  On top of that, he only gets 1/2 the normal labs due to the hybrid approach.  So I am happy for every lab he gets to do.  They are so valuable!  Some of this stuff you just can't do online.   

• Like 5

Dd19 just swapped some classes around.  One of her classes the prof told them there would be no lectures and no interaction; pretty much the whole class is read-the-text and send in a summary of 'what you've learned'.   She dumped that like a hot potato - and after checking RMP found that the guy had 1-star reviews even for his in-person class - she'd picked that section over the one with a prof who teaches because she didn't want to get up early, 🙄 and now the other section is full.  As were all the other Econ classes that fit her schedule (she needs to take one this semester for a minor).  So... on the glass-half-full side, she's now willing to take earlier classes because she literally doesn't have to get out of bed, and also taking classes at the other colleges in the area consortium now doesn't require building commuting time into the schedule.  So she's now signed up for an Econ class at Smith with a prof who has a zillion 'best prof ever' reviews on RMP.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 10

18 hours ago, Serenade said:

My son is in his third week at Western Carolina.  I feel that every day he is there is a gift.  Tonight he had organic chem lab and made acetaminophen.  He was so excited!  He said normally they do this lab at the end of the semester, but I think they've moved some things up because it is likely that they won't make it the whole semester.  On top of that, he only gets 1/2 the normal labs due to the hybrid approach.  So I am happy for every lab he gets to do.  They are so valuable!  Some of this stuff you just can't do online.   

We feel like that too!! Every day there is a gift!! School is still reporting ~1% positive tests, so fingers' crossed that they'll make through September - and October - and November!!!! 🤞

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 5:55 PM, easypeasy said:

We feel like that too!! Every day there is a gift!! School is still reporting ~1% positive tests, so fingers' crossed that they'll make through September - and October - and November!!!! 🤞

One more week!!! 🥳 Numbers are still down at DDs school! DD is still hanging in there! She's still frustrated that it's so difficult to meet/integrate with new people, but when she looks around she realizes that most of the freshmen are just sitting in their dorm rooms. It's so sad.

Her suitemates, in fact, just said today that they haven't met anyone other than the suitemates. One is in the marching band and wants to quit because it's so depressing. MARCHING BAND IS DEPRESSING, GUYS!! 😭 For so many band kids, marching band is THE social event that, as a freshman, introduces them to sooooo many people right in the beginning weeks! But because of the masks and the social distancing, she says she's not really gotten to meet anybody. And this is a sweet, outgoing girl. It just breaks my heart. What was supposed to be such a fun, carefree chapter in the lives of these kids is now such a muddled mess. 😕 They just won't get that opportunity back! 😕

I told dd that next year, when the new freshmen come in and are able to do their Welcome Week activities and wander around campus mask-free (don't destroy my hopeful vision, y'all...), the sophomores are gonna HATE them. lol Stupid freshmen. lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

D stayed home this semester to do online. She felt with all the restrictions and Covid guidelines, the experience just wouldn't be worth the room and board. Three weeks in, she wants to go back. She doesn't feel she's getting a good educational experience. The professors seem to focus on just the in-person students. One of her professors today didn't even share the screen with the online students so she missed half the Powerpoint. She has two science classes, so she's missing labs for those. She's paired up with an in-person student, who will share the lab information and data, and then she's to do the write up. She feels like now that she's in her upper level classes she is missing a lot of what she enjoys and what she really needs to learn/know. We are hoping the school will allow her to change her mind. She was not slated to go back until the third week in September, so we are hopeful it will be possible. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, whitestavern said:

One of her professors today didn't even share the screen with the online students so she missed half the Powerpoint. 

Was that intentional? It's really easy for instructors to make a mistake with the divided attention between in-person and simultaneous online students.
It happened to me in my first class this semester; I shared the wrong screen and didn't see the chat window were they told me, so I lectured on kinematics while they saw the syllabus. Oops.  (once I discovered it, I made them a separate video and posted it )
She needs to speak up and tell the prof that she feels there is not enough attention on the online students.
It is extremely difficult to teach in person and on Zoom at the same time and to get the online students engaged. Most of the time I don't know whether they're even there. I bet her prof would be thrilled if somebody interacted online

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, frogger said:

Well, of course they are with all these half-hearted mamby-pamby measures.  I think Northeastern got it right - students had a party against regulations, they are expelled, too bad so sad, no tuition refund.  That kind of action is what will put a stop to this kind of nonsense and allow the rest of the students to have some hope of not all being sent home (or just spreading it all around the community).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

Was that intentional? It's really easy for instructors to make a mistake with the divided attention between in-person and simultaneous online students.
It happened to me in my first class this semester; I shared the wrong screen and didn't see the chat window were they told me, so I lectured on kinematics while they saw the syllabus. Oops.  (once I discovered it, I made them a separate video and posted it )
She needs to speak up and tell the prof that she feels there is not enough attention on the online students.
It is extremely difficult to teach in person and on Zoom at the same time and to get the online students engaged. Most of the time I don't know whether they're even there. I bet her prof would be thrilled if somebody interacted online

No, D does not think that it was intentional. The professor is old and very low tech (does not even have a cell phone). D is not hopeful (knowing this professor-she's had him for several classes) that he has the desire to really learn how he needs to operate in order to provide a high quality online experience. He's probably doing the best he can. Another prof does not allow the online students to participate (turns off audio and visual so they can just passively view) as it's "too difficult." D (and I) do not fault the professors. We realize it is very difficult for them. It is what it is, but it's just not good enough for her, which is why she wants to go back.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 12:21 PM, whitestavern said:

No, D does not think that it was intentional. The professor is old and very low tech (does not even have a cell phone). D is not hopeful (knowing this professor-she's had him for several classes) that he has the desire to really learn how he needs to operate in order to provide a high quality online experience. He's probably doing the best he can. Another prof does not allow the online students to participate (turns off audio and visual so they can just passively view) as it's "too difficult." D (and I) do not fault the professors. We realize it is very difficult for them. It is what it is, but it's just not good enough for her, which is why she wants to go back.

That is so sad.  I know my daughter in her major is doing very well virtually, it's also a major that does well since it's mostly lectures (poli sci).  Math or science classes would be a lot more tricky I would think, especially if they didn't offer good office hours. 

My younger daughter is having to rotate in and out of the ballet studio and zooms into class in the off weeks. The teachers have to work so hard to make the zoom students feel included, and give corrections to them as well as the in studio dancers.  I feel so bad for everyone, but I am grateful that they are trying to make it work. 

• Like 2

DD is interviewing for a part time on-campus job today. I think it is too much on top of her classes, but she wants to do it so I am supporting her.

Based on the FB posts from parents, I feel like it is harder to get informal help from other students vs. pre-covid. The university still has all their tutors & other student support systems in place in person & virtually from what I hear. I heard that a couple tutors have all their zoom sessions booked almost a week out because of the demand.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

DD is interviewing for a part time on-campus job today. I think it is too much on top of her classes, but she wants to do it so I am supporting her.

Based on the FB posts from parents, I feel like it is harder to get informal help from other students vs. pre-covid. The university still has all their tutors & other student support systems in place in person & virtually from what I hear. I heard that a couple tutors have all their zoom sessions booked almost a week out because of the demand.

My dd is tutoring others in her online class - they have a special message board just for students and she has been named tutor in the group.  Her university does have a virtual "walk-in" place too where I think they can get help immediately.  

I hope dd gets the job she wants and can handle the workload!  Some kids thrive on being busier and others don't - they usually know what they can handle.  

36 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

My students all have a GroupMe for their classes where they can connect and help each other.

We cannot get students to attend out Zoom and in-person help sessions! I offer 10 hours per week for my intro physics course; normally we have two classrooms staffed with tutpors and faculty, and see around 50-60 students on each of the days. The times are the same, and we offer multiple sessions with different tutors, and there is always one of the profs running a session as well. Last time I had maybe 5 students in 2.5 hours; I have 440 students in the course.

Edited by regentrude

9 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

My younger daughter is having to rotate in and out of the ballet studio and zooms into class in the off weeks. The teachers have to work so hard to make the zoom students feel included, and give corrections to them as well as the in studio dancers.  I feel so bad for everyone, but I am grateful that they are trying to make it work. 

Sorry to go on a tangent, but you are in San Diego and your daughter is dancing in the studio? Our oldest is a member of a professional ballet company near San Francisco, and the county is not allowing any in-studio dance. There is a possibility they will allow up to 8th grade in the associated school, but that still leaves the advanced dancers and the company in the lurch. I thought all of California was similar in this respect...

This semester has been just short of a disaster.  Tech issues have abounded.  She  has a Cal 3 test on Tuesday and still does not know how it will be administered.  They told her on Thurs that she had to take it in person (it is a fully online class).  Then told her she can't come on campus as she is not an on campus resident and the campus has restricted access.  Dd , who is a Chancellor's List student, is genuinely worried about continuing the semester.   The chancellor announced this past week that the spring semester will be just like the fall semester with possibly more restrictions (depending upon govt regulations).  Dd has already decided not to return for spring.  She is applying to other universities that were already offering online degrees prior to covid.  It makes me sad.  She enjoyed last year so much.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 9/14/2020 at 7:42 PM, iamonlyone said:

Sorry to go on a tangent, but you are in San Diego and your daughter is dancing in the studio? Our oldest is a member of a professional ballet company near San Francisco, and the county is not allowing any in-studio dance. There is a possibility they will allow up to 8th grade in the associated school, but that still leaves the advanced dancers and the company in the lurch. I thought all of California was similar in this respect...

So sorry I missed this! Yes, San Diego, and California is going county by county and we apparently are in the red tier, not purple so we can have a certain percentage of people masked indoors. I don't know what will happen if we go back to the purple tier (which thanks to SDSU might happen).  Hair salons are open as well with reduced capacity, and restaurants are 25 percent too.  LA (where my daughter attends college) is more restrictive based on their numbers.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

So sorry I missed this! Yes, San Diego, and California is going county by county and we apparently are in the red tier, not purple so we can have a certain percentage of people masked indoors. I don't know what will happen if we go back to the purple tier (which thanks to SDSU might happen).  Hair salons are open as well with reduced capacity, and restaurants are 25 percent too.  LA (where my daughter attends college) is more restrictive based on their numbers.  

Thank you for the clarification! We are half a country away in a state with low numbers, and—although I try to read CA news and ask our dd questions—your explanation helps my understanding.

I'm so sorry for all that CA residents are dealing with currently.

• Like 1