Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW11: March Equinox

Robin M

Welcome to our virtual parlor, dear hearts.  How is everyone doing?  We operate an audio repair shop which is constantly busy and we've been hearing all kinds of stories from our customers. A musician today said he's torn about whether he should cancel his latest gig or not as music brings happiness and keeps people from getting depressed. As it is a small venue, he says the people can practice social distancing.  

As Plato said: “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.”  

The same can be said about books too!  So, this week we are celebrating the vernal equinox, here in the Northern Hemisphere and the autumn equinox in the Southern Hemisphere.  Nature is in a state of glorious metamorphosis, a transition. 

While we all hibernate as best we can, your mission this week is to read a book about things to do with nature, both physical and spiritual, seasons, spring or autumn, or transitions and all the wonderful synonyms that go along such as upheaval, growth, conversions, flux, etc.   You may also consider reading a book with Spring or Autumn in the title or spelling out the word Spring and/or Autumn.

Spring reading: 10 book being adapted for tv/film.

44 Books To Read Over Spring Break If Your Travel Plans Are Canceled

100 must read books about nature.

Popular Nature Spirituality Books

Autumn reads

Authors with seasons in their names

Stay safe, be well and have fun following rabbit trails! 

Link to week 10

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews if you like.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

This week I finished Patricia Brigg's Dragon Bones as well as Deborah Harkness 2nd book in her all Souls Trilogy - Shadow of Night.   

Currently reading Lee Child's Running Blind, #4 in his Jack Reacher series.  He actually has a girlfriend and inherited a house. The FBI coerces him into helping them catch a murderer since he knew the first two women and he fits the FBI profile,  He is at a crossroads in his life, champing at the bit to get back on the road with no responsibilities vs love and responsibility. 

"Across the country, women are being murdered, victims of a disciplined and clever killer who leaves no trace evidence, no fatal wounds, no signs of struggle, and no clues to an apparent motive. They are, truly, perfect crimes. In fact, there’s only one thing that links the victims. Each one of the women knew Jack Reacher—and it’s got him running blind.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 8

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

The Titan by Theodore Dreiser,

"In the Panic of 1873, Frank Cowperwood’s fortune was destroyed and his criminal activity on the stock exchange was exposed. Now, with his prison sentence complete, he is ready to begin the next chapter of his life. Following the same creed of selfishness that guided him to his first fortune, Cowperwood leaves Philadelphia for Chicago and gives up financial speculation to pursue a new frontier. Though he soon rediscovers wealth in stock investment, he remains hounded by scandal as he maneuvers to take control of the Chicago railway system. Through double-dealing, divorce, infidelity, and social disgrace, America’s most corrupt man continues his lifelong pursuit of self-satisfaction.

In the sequel to The Financier, Theodore Dreiser presents a man of indomitable force and pitiless ambition. Based on railway tycoon Charles Tyson Yerkes, Frank Cowperwood is widely considered one of the greatest characters of twentieth-century literature."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Some bookish posts ~

12 Books About Pandemics

https://electricliterature.com/12-books-about-pandemics/

THE COZY MYSTERIES OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST

https://crimereads.com/the-cozy-mysteries-of-the-pacific-northwest/

23 Retellings of Classic Stories From Science Fiction & Fantasy Authors by Christina Orlando and Leah Schnelbach

https://www.tor.com/2020/02/05/23-retellings-of-classic-stories-from-science-fiction-fantasy-authors/comment-page-1/#comment-852736

How 12 authors turned their book dedications into grand romantic gestures

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/how-12-authors-turned-their-book-dedications-into-grand-romantic-gestures/2020/02/11/88c2a1b0-4856-11ea-8124-0ca81effcdfb_story.html

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I read The Prince of Tides - 5 Stars - Pat Conroy never disappoints! I loved this book. The writing is gorgeous. The story is riveting and had me laughing and crying. Parts of the story are truly painful and raw at times. Those descriptions are not for the faint of heart. Once you get past that, the story is incredibly powerful and moving. Conroy’s rich descriptions of the south make me want to visit there more than ever before. I loved his description of Stone Mountain in Georgia.

The characters are superb to the point where I am missing them so very much. For me, that’s a sign of a phenomenal book. I feel bad for the next book I plan to read, because Pat Conroy’s books are a hard act to follow. I have not seen the movie and am not sure if I really want to.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“No one has the patent on human suffering. People hurt in different ways and for different reasons.”

“Love has no weapons; it has no fists. Love does not bruise, nor does it draw blood.”

“A psychiatrist oblivious to money is like a sumo wrestler oblivious to body fat.”

“Has there ever been anyone who lived in New York City who didn’t see a therapist?” I asked. “I mean, there must have been some poor schnook who changed planes at La Guardia who didn’t have time to make it to the Upper East Side for a fifty-minute session.”

“It is an art form to hate New York City properly. So far I have always been a featherweight debunker of New York; it takes too much energy and endurance to record the infinite number of ways the city offends me. Were I to list them all, I would fill up a book the size of the Manhattan yellow pages, and that would merely be the prologue.”

9780553268881.jpg

• Like 8

I just finished the last book of the Rose Years (Rose Wilder Lane).  Not really sure what I will read next.  There are so many options.

Still working through Talking Back to OCD.

Hoping to do some read-alouds with my kids home all day, but so far we have very low motivation levels all around.

• Like 8

Books in the Time of Covid! This week I finished Great Expectations for our family Dickens reading. I think Wee Girl had planned for A Tale of Two Cities next (oh how I loathe Manette), but right now she's taking a long detour through Moominland, so we get a little respite, I mean pause, from the family Dickens.

Almost done with Graham Greene's The Honorary Consul, randomly chosen by Middle Girl. I'd never read it before and had no idea how much sex was in it. Nothing explicit, but not what you would hand your daughter normally. But I'd read a lot worse than that by her age. Anyway it's light and forgettable.

Nature reading: maybe it's time to get going on Roy Bedichek's Adventures with a Texas Naturalist, as my Don't Mess With Texas 10x10 category needs work.

• Like 8

My homeschool co-op is taking the scheduled spring break this week, and is cancelling the following week's classes to reduce social gatherings for potential virus spreading. I still have a lot of work to get done for class, but have managed to read a few books these past 2 weeks just for fun:

I started the Armand Gamache series a year or so ago when a friend gave me the first 2 books. This past week I tore through books 3 and 4 -- The Cruelest Month (holy cow! I am NOT a horror fan, and that spook, creepy house!!!), and then A Rule Against Murder. Wow -- a couple of zingers straight to my own heart, conviction of some bad attitudes held on to... 😔 Powerful writing here!

Also zipped through The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate (sequel to The Evolution of...). Fun! This character/world remind me just a bit of a cross between Richard Peck misadventure books and Gerard Durrell's fascination with the natural world as a child in My Family And Other Animals. 😄 

Disappointed with The Blue Castle (by the Anne of Green Gables author), which I got based on the oohs and aahs over it in a BaW thread about a month ago. I didn't realize it was really a 1920s romance novel. Not my genre... 😉 I did finish it, but it was more because I felt compelled to since I'd gotten about a third into it before I realized what it was going to be all about. It was fine, but not my thing. On the other hand, I now have a copy I can pass on to someone else who would like to give it a try. Just send me a p.m. and it's yours. 😄 

Also completed Animal Farm several weeks ago to prepare lessons for that. Well-written! Bitingly true picture of how revolution and the re-seizure of power by a new group often ends up going... Next up for class prep: Lord of the Flies! 😄 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Kareni said:

Some bookish posts ~

12 Books About Pandemics

https://electricliterature.com/12-books-about-pandemics/

THE COZY MYSTERIES OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST

https://crimereads.com/the-cozy-mysteries-of-the-pacific-northwest/

23 Retellings of Classic Stories From Science Fiction & Fantasy Authors by Christina Orlando and Leah Schnelbach

https://www.tor.com/2020/02/05/23-retellings-of-classic-stories-from-science-fiction-fantasy-authors/comment-page-1/#comment-852736

How 12 authors turned their book dedications into grand romantic gestures

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/how-12-authors-turned-their-book-dedications-into-grand-romantic-gestures/2020/02/11/88c2a1b0-4856-11ea-8124-0ca81effcdfb_story.html

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks—  gotta check out some of these especially Cozy mysteries of pnw ! 

• Like 5

I just finished Overture to Death by Ngaio Marsh a nd have to say after I actually got to the Murder I thought it was a thumping good read.  @tuesdayschild the spinsters cracked me up in the sense that they struck me as very stereotypically British .  I think I could cast those parts pretty easily with women I know.😉 I will confess I haven’t read a book by Ngaio Marsh since Dd was a tween in need of books.....I ploughed through a couple and released her because I didn’t love them but they did seem basically appropriate and the library had a good sized stack. I believe Tuesday recommended this one and I may just try another one later in the series to learn if Henry becomes a policeman......if you know please tell me.😉 . https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/279718.Overture_to_Death

@Pen fwiw I have read many Mar Daheim’s over the years and they are fun cozies.....from the PNW list.

Running with Sherman is almost done.......it needs to be in the sense that you guys must be sick of it!  I have learned a lot about Donkey’s and Goat’s behavior and care.  Did I mention DS once walked a baby donkey down the center aisle of our English church when he was Joseph in the Christmas Eve play.......they didn’t even make him do the clean up.😂  The owner insisted on being on the other side of the donkey even though Ds had visited before the night, now I understand why. @Æthelthryth the Texan I suspect someone in your family would like this one! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43834684-running-with-sherman

Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte was an entertaining listen but not sure I would have ever made it through the book (I have tried a couple of times).  I listened to this one for the sake of my bookchain challenge and will finally be able to read Shades of EarlGrey by Laura Child’s.  I started this series many years ago and did not have access for years.  Pretty sure this is my next so a great way to move the chain along.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/426547.Shades_of_Earl_Grey

i am now quickly listening to Poppy Redfern and the Midnight Murders. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44057135-poppy-redfern-and-the-midnight-murders?from_search=true&qid=tb60P1rGaK&rank=1   which I just discovered does not match with a book in the library stack which is now mine far longer than intended.  The Kill Fee is the other.....ummmmmmtwo books with the name Poppy🤔😎  Well I like the Midnight Murders.  Hope the series continues.  I will let you know about the Kill Fee when I get around to reading it!😂  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30897440-the-kill-fee?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=ZAX1eoGeO4&rank=1

• Like 8

I think for the first time ever I am in sync with the book thread topic.

Audiobook:

"Forty Autumns" by Nina Willner. A superbly told story about families divided by the wall post WWII. Someone here recommended it. Thank you to whomever it was.

Reading:

"Distortion" by Terri Blackstock - just starting now so too soon to evaluate.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Negin said:

I read The Prince of Tides - 5 Stars - Pat Conroy never disappoints! I loved this book. The writing is gorgeous. The story is riveting and had me laughing and crying. Parts of the story are truly painful and raw at times. Those descriptions are not for the faint of heart. Once you get past that, the story is incredibly powerful and moving. Conroy’s rich descriptions of the south make me want to visit there more than ever before. I loved his description of Stone Mountain in Georgia.

The characters are superb to the point where I am missing them so very much. For me, that’s a sign of a phenomenal book. I feel bad for the next book I plan to read, because Pat Conroy’s books are a hard act to follow. I have not seen the movie and am not sure if I really want to.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“No one has the patent on human suffering. People hurt in different ways and for different reasons.”

“Love has no weapons; it has no fists. Love does not bruise, nor does it draw blood.”

“A psychiatrist oblivious to money is like a sumo wrestler oblivious to body fat.”

“Has there ever been anyone who lived in New York City who didn’t see a therapist?” I asked. “I mean, there must have been some poor schnook who changed planes at La Guardia who didn’t have time to make it to the Upper East Side for a fifty-minute session.”

“It is an art form to hate New York City properly. So far I have always been a featherweight debunker of New York; it takes too much energy and endurance to record the infinite number of ways the city offends me. Were I to list them all, I would fill up a book the size of the Manhattan yellow pages, and that would merely be the prologue.”

9780553268881.jpg

The movie did not disappoint, and I speak as a big fan of the book.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Lori D. said:

.. Next up for class prep: Lord of the Flies! 😄 

We're here for you if it turns out to be painful.

I sailed right through studying it in high school, but when I reread it as a parent to prep for teaching it, it absolutely broke my heart.  So much so that I realized I literally could not bear to teach it after all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

Audiobook:

"Forty Autumns" by Nina Willner. A superbly told story about families divided by the wall post WWII. Someone here recommended it. Thank you to whomever it was.

Liz, happy to hear that you liked it. I read that almost a year ago and loved it. 

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

The movie did not disappoint, and I speak as a big fan of the book.

Thank you, Carol. I'll look into it!

• Like 7

Not much reading happening this past week as I'm still in the process of moving and it feels as though it will never end. Why do I have so much stuff? I thought I had pared down but things must be secretly multiplying when I'm not looking!

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their reading!

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

We're here for you if it turns out to be painful.

I sailed right through studying it in high school, but when I reread it as a parent to prep for teaching it, it absolutely broke my heart.  So much so that I realized I literally could not bear to teach it after all.

SO kind of you Carol. Thank you for the support! 💕

And so very very sad for you in your experience in prepping/teaching it. 😥

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

@mumto2 told me I can wade in here as a safe refuge from The Talk of Doom, so here I am as my little refuge from most other things online.

Yep, keeping it dragons and rainbows and whatnot!   

😘

dragons and rainbows.jpg

• Like 7

I have zero self discipline. I come online to check in with my book buddies but find it (illogically) necessary to first look at the news headlines, then to catch up on The Thread here on all things coronavirus. Before long I find I have to close the laptop and walk away. Only after checking the meme thread (much to the amusement of my millennial young adult children). Gathering enough brain cells together at one time to focus on a book is a whole 'nother challenge!

Perhaps now that my calendar is cleared and the pantry full I can settle down. I thought an engrossing and long audiobook would help distract me, so will finally start Wolf Hall! If I'm totally absorbed in it, I can download the next 2 in the trilogy. I've also been pulling out unread books from my shelves. Ds and I have done one 500 piece puzzle and have another 1000 piece one ready to start. 

@Robin M Your musician customer is lucky to have the choice about playing a gig. Everyone I know has had all their gigs cancelled which is financially devastating for many of my younger musician friends. It makes me feel a little guilty about enjoying this self quarantine, that finally there is no need to apologize for being a total introvert!

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Yep, keeping it dragons and rainbows and whatnot!   

😘

dragons and rainbows.jpg

A flight of dragons... 

A leap of leopards...
A zeal of zebras...
A romp of otters...
A charm of finches...
A flamboyance of flamingoes...
An exaltation of larks!

Joy abounds all around us!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I started my next book.  It is a first novel by a friend of a friend, based in a location near me.  I won't say it's great reading, but I will probably finish it.  I'm not holding high standards right now.  😛  The name of the book is Murder in the Cultural Gardens; I don't know if it's mass marketed anywhere.

• Like 9

I just abandoned A Girl’s Guide to Murder https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40916679-a-good-girl-s-guide-to-murder.  That said I quit reading it more because I had accomplished my goal,  a good look at the set up of this rather unique book.  I think a younger person......ie a girl in high school would possibly love it, I didn’t notice any huge red flags btw in the pages I read.  My kids did Capstone projects for their Uni degrees and I knew there was a Capstone AP exam class at some high schools......this book is a fictional high school seniors record of her capstone project.  She hopes to discover who murdered an area teen several years before.  So the book is her notes with commentary in between.  It wasn’t bad and if I was totally bored I would have finished it but I am not that bored yet.

I also read the second in a historical romance series that I know @Kareni read one of.  The author Mia Vincy is I believe new on the HR scene and her books are not quite to the typical formula which I am enjoying.  A Beastly Kind of Earl was filled with smile worthy twists and turns into the slightly unexpected.  A young lady who’s father was rich but common was publicly proclaimed ruined(she wasn’t) by two dastardly young noblemen then disowned by her family.  She went off to plot her revenge and  appears two years later ready to make those dastardly creeps pay............in the process she finds herself married to a Duke but with her sister’s name on the license.........that is just the start of the chaos she creates.  The Duke is making his own as he was also wronged.........what can I say other than I will be reading the next as soon as it is published!  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48525662-a-beastly-kind-of-earl

• Like 7

Some bookish and other posts ~

By author Arkady Martine:

Contrary to How it Seems, Humans Band Together During and After Disasters

IT'S THE RIGHT TIME TO READ CRIME NOVELS

https://crimereads.com/its-the-right-time-to-read-crime-novels/

From reddit: Let's talk Indie/Unknown/Underappreciated Urban Fantasy Books!

https://www.reddit.com/r/urbanfantasy/comments/fhw1kb/lets_talk_indieunknownunderappreciated_urban

From reddit:  Best sci fi books released in the last 20 years?

https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestmeabook/comments/fckgxg/best_sci_fi_books_released_in_the_last_20_years/

Book obsessed: the 430 books of Marilyn Monroe's personal library

https://nothingintherulebook.com/2020/02/06/book-obsessed-the-430-books-of-marilyn-monroes-personal-library/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

One more bookish post ~

Five SFF Subgenres for Fans of True Crime by Lauren Jackson

One of the books mentioned in the column is currently free for Kindle readers:

CENTAUR OF THE CRIME by Michael Angel

Another author was mentioned in the comments; this anthology of some of his other works is also currently free:

RANDAL GARRETT Ultimate Collection

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Kareni said:

One more bookish post ~

Five SFF Subgenres for Fans of True Crime by Lauren Jackson

One of the books mentioned in the column is currently free for Kindle readers:

CENTAUR OF THE CRIME by Michael Angel

Another author was mentioned in the comments; this anthology of some of his other works is also currently free:

RANDAL GARRETT Ultimate Collection

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks Kareni!  I couldn’t resist a free book with a Centaur so it has been added to the virtual stacks!

One of the other books mentioned in that article is already in my stack An Easy Death by Charlaine Harris.   Anybody read it?  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38136877-an-easy-death?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=xUvQoCuMTd&rank=1

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Thanks Kareni!  I couldn’t resist a free book with a Centaur so it has been added to the virtual stacks!

You are quite welcome!

19 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

One of the other books mentioned in that article is already in my stack An Easy Death by Charlaine Harris.   Anybody read it?

I haven't read that one, but I've read many of her other books.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

On 3/16/2020 at 12:19 PM, JennW in SoCal said:

I have zero self discipline. I come online to check in with my book buddies but find it (illogically) necessary to first look at the news headlines, then to catch up on The Thread here on all things coronavirus. Before long I find I have to close the laptop and walk away. Only after checking the meme thread (much to the amusement of my millennial young adult children). Gathering enough brain cells together at one time to focus on a book is a whole 'nother challenge!

Perhaps now that my calendar is cleared and the pantry full I can settle down. I thought an engrossing and long audiobook would help distract me, so will finally start Wolf Hall! If I'm totally absorbed in it, I can download the next 2 in the trilogy. I've also been pulling out unread books from my shelves. Ds and I have done one 500 piece puzzle and have another 1000 piece one ready to start. 

@Robin M Your musician customer is lucky to have the choice about playing a gig. Everyone I know has had all their gigs cancelled which is financially devastating for many of my younger musician friends. It makes me feel a little guilty about enjoying this self quarantine, that finally there is no need to apologize for being a total introvert!

I know, me too. The news is sucking me in which only serves to make me more anxious about our business.  At least our county is at low risk so we don't have to shut down.  I'm an introvert as well and wouldn't mind hunkering down for the long hall, but we'd go broke and in debt in the process.  So we are doing what we can to stay safe, assure our customers safety, and support the other small businesses and restaurants in the community.  

On to happier news -  Patricia Brigg's Smoke Bitten has arrived.  I also got the $20 credit from audible for Amazon for listening to three audiobooks.  Trying to decide what I want to get. 

In the midst of Lee Child's Running Blind.  I finished Michael Card's Luke so need a new breakfast sip read. Decision, decisions. 

• Like 8

On 3/16/2020 at 3:19 PM, JennW in SoCal said:

This describes my time perfectly. I have a number of books on my Kindle and just can't seem to settle on one. I do have two different audio books from the library and have been alternating which one I listen to - Blowout by Rachel Maddow and Don't Make Me Pull Over, whose author I don't remember.

The first case in my county was announced yesterday though it was to be expected. There have been cases in 3 surrounding counties and many people work in one but live in another, so it was only a matter of time. It's a travel related case - the person had been to NY near the outbreaks.

• Like 9

I just finished Before Were Yours by Lisa Wingate which I read for my book group on Thursday; we'll be meeting via Zoom. It was a sad, poignant story that is based on some true events. If you're in the mood for a depressing/cathartic story, I can recommend this!

"Memphis, 1939. Twelve-year-old Rill Foss and her four younger siblings live a magical life aboard their family’s Mississippi River shantyboat. But when their father must rush their mother to the hospital one stormy night, Rill is left in charge—until strangers arrive in force. Wrenched from all that is familiar and thrown into a Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage, the Foss children are assured that they will soon be returned to their parents—but they quickly realize the dark truth. At the mercy of the facility’s cruel director, Rill fights to keep her sisters and brother together in a world of danger and uncertainty.

Aiken, South Carolina, present day. Born into wealth and privilege, Avery Stafford seems to have it all: a successful career as a federal prosecutor, a handsome fiancé, and a lavish wedding on the horizon. But when Avery returns home to help her father weather a health crisis, a chance encounter leaves her with uncomfortable questions and compels her to take a journey through her family’s long-hidden history, on a path that will ultimately lead either to devastation or to redemption.

Based on one of America’s most notorious real-life scandals—in which Georgia Tann, director of a Memphis-based adoption organization, kidnapped and sold poor children to wealthy families all over the country—Lisa Wingate’s riveting, wrenching, and ultimately uplifting tale reminds us how, even though the paths we take can lead to many places, the heart never forgets where we belong. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I'm reporting in that I've read five Dickens sized novels worth of text about Covid … but we're not counting that, right?

Is everyone else suffering through library withdrawal yet? I'm eyeing my dusty stacks like, "So it's come to this …" These are all books I want to read but for some reason have ignored for years. Guess the day of reckoning has come. I will read Moonrakers Bride! And Capture the Castle!

And I will have plenty of time to do it because we just got back from NOLA which is considered by capita one of the worst hit places outside Seattle so we will be self-quarantining for two weeks. Mistakes were made. It's so bizarre to me because at the time we left it didn't seem like insanity and now about a week later I can't imagine what we were thinking. 

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

I'm reporting in that I've read five Dickens sized novels worth of text about Covid … but we're not counting that, right?

Is everyone else suffering through library withdrawal yet? I'm eyeing my dusty stacks like, "So it's come to this …" These are all books I want to read but for some reason have ignored for years. Guess the day of reckoning has come. I will read Moonrakers Bride! And Capture the Castle!

And I will have plenty of time to do it because we just got back from NOLA which is considered by capita one of the worst hit places outside Seattle so we will be self-quarantining for two weeks. Mistakes were made. It's so bizarre to me because at the time we left it didn't seem like insanity and now about a week later I can't imagine what we were thinking. 

Oh my gosh, yes to the bolded!! I may bandy about that phrase "So it's come to this..."  in regards to my own books and reading. And goodness, sorry you were caught in the midst of traveling during the time of pandemic. At least you weren't on a cruise ship!

I love I Capture the Castle. One of my favorite books from the past few years -- just cozy and comfortable and delightfully quirky.

Instead of reading any of my actually dusty physical books, I am listening to Wolf Hall (had to use my audible credit) and was delighted to see I have Linesman in my Kindle library. I am enjoying both. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, aggieamy said:

I'm eyeing my dusty stacks like, "So it's come to this …"

Exactly. Doesn't it feel, somehow, that all rules are off? I don't really want to work on my 10x10s right now; I'm going to finish the book I'm in the middle of (and continue the poetry collection I'm in), and everything else is going to be randomly chosen from my shelves.

In fact this feeling seems to be in the air; yesterday evening I took a late evening walk through our neighborhood; a front was coming in, and a thick layer of warm fog lay over everything; and I watched two cars and a motorcycle roll through the intersection at the end of the street without even pretending to slow down for the stop signs. Not zooming; just ignoring. I think I prefer random books as my act of "all rules are off."

All activities and classes are off and so the girls are stuck at home, and dh and I are teaching from home (me doing it over a telephone line! "Now, imagine I'm writing on the whiteboard 'Maria reginam laudat'"). So I put a blank calendar out and told everyone to write in events, so as to keep monotony at bay. So far we have scheduled a croquet tournament, a bocce game, shampooing the guinea pigs, skyping with grandparents (who are nearby but in lockdown in assisted living), and a series of cello concerts. Who says there's no more live music in this town? We also have a reading competition: everyone writes what they finish reading under their name on the fridge--if you think it counts, it counts--and it ends when someone is so far ahead that everyone else gives up. So there's a lot of books on the lawn at the Crown household. And guinea pigs. Who occasionally forget to nibble on the grass and nibble on the books. 

• Like 10

I just finished a pleasant read ~ Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case by AJ Sherwood. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I'll be rushing to reread it. (Adult content)

"A psychic without an anchor. A student in trouble. A shooter on the loose.

I’m Jonathan Bane, a licensed psychic who consults for the police. I routinely help the police put the bad guys away and, for that reason, the criminal world doesn’t like me much. People like to take a swing at me, or go stabbity, or try for a gun. It makes for interesting times. My psychic ability prevents me from handling anything electronic—and I do mean ANYTHING, I fry it in seconds—so calling for help isn’t always a possibility.

I need an anchor, a partner, but I’m resigned: it’s just wishful thinking.

At least, I thought so until he walked through the door.

Donovan Havili looks like a thug and has the soul of a superhero. He shines so bright in my vision it’s like watching a supernova. He definitely has the right mindset and skills for this crazy job. But asking anyone to take me on long-term is a bit much. And now we’ve got multiple cases to handle, a Chinese exchange student falsely accused who needs our help, and someone taking random shots at me. It’s a bit much for any new guy to handle and I’m half-afraid that my new partner will run for the door.

But in Donovan Havili, the criminal world has met its match. And maybe, just maybe, I have as well. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Hey everyone!

I've been a bit MIA recently.  I opened up registration for my online courses on March 1 and the response has been brisk so that's kept me busy.  And in the last 6 days or so, I've gotten enquiries (or is it inquiries?) from Finland, Kuwait, Malta...  The trend for homeschooling around the world this coming fall (or whenever school starts in various regions) will be interesting, to say the least.  My daughter was messaging me last Friday at about 4pm saying that the school was talking of going online, etc. but that things weren't getting crazy.  Two hours later, students received a message that there were two presumptive cases of COVID-19 among students (and it's a very small private university) and that every student who could leave needed to leave by 8pm.  We spend most of Friday night driving to get her and bring her home.  The two presumptive cases tested negatively as of Tuesday so that's a relief.  DD and DH will be heading back tomorrow to pack up the rest of her things (she bolted on Friday with only the essentials).  And there is a confirmed case in our small, very isolated town with a few other cases in even smaller, surrounding isolated towns.  Strange times, indeed.

I think I've finished two books since I last posted.  Still not much time for reading.  And, as I was messaging to a friend recently, it's REALLY hard not to get sucked into a news-related spiral that leads to one being crouched over one's laptop at 2am, mainlining chocolate and Doritos, and muttering about various conspiracy theories and the end of the world. Not that I know ANYTHING about that sort of thing...

Here's my 2020 list so far.  Lots of fluff historical fiction.  Deeper stuff will have to happen in the summer.  The last two are the ones I just finished. 🙂

Books read in 2020

9. Shadows and Strongholds by Elizabeth Chadwick  *Historical fiction – 3 stars

8. Village Diary by Miss Read  *Historical fiction – 3 stars

7. The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann  *Nonfiction – 5 stars

6. Crooked River (Pendergast #19) by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child  *Mystery/Thriller – 4 stars

5. Village School by Miss Read  *Historical fiction - 4 stars

4. The Graveyard Apartment by Mariko Koike  *Horror - 5 stars

3. Daughters of the Grail by Elizabeth Chadwick  *Historical fiction/romance - 4 stars

2 1/2.  Extraction (Pendergast #12.5) by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child  *Fiction (short story) - 4 stars  (I didn't think that a short story would count but I did finish it 🙂 )

2. The Case of the Chocolate Cream Killer: The Poisonous Passion of Christiana Edmunds by Kaye Jones   *Nonfiction (history) - 4 stars

1. The Love Knot by Elizabeth Chadwick   *Historical fiction/romance - 3 stars

• Like 7

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

Zuleika Dobson by Max Beerbohm

"This satirical novel of life and love at Oxford University is one of the Modern Library’s 100 Best Novels

Max Beerbohm’s only novel is a comic masterpiece set in the privileged environs of Judas College, Oxford. When beautiful prestidigitator Zuleika Dobson gains admittance to the all-male campus, romance is suddenly in the air. But the smitten undergraduates are out of luck, because this femme fatale can only love a man unaffected by her charms.

The snobbish and taciturn Duke of Dorset appears up to the challenge, but his wall of indifference crumbles when Zuleika falls for him. She immediately rejects him for reciprocating her feelings, of course, and the Duke is driven to despair. He resolves to kill himself to teach her a lesson, but one small problem remains: Zuleika thinks suicide is romantic—and every lovesick undergraduate at Oxford is dying to agree with her."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 2:48 PM, aggieamy said:

Hugs!  I really thought I read I Capture the Castle during Brit Tripping because you loved it .  Now I suspect it was because @JennW in SoCal loved it!🤣. It was good and I promise you will like it.

So my reading is turning towards cozies thanks to Overdrive while I attempt to continue some of my challenges without stressing myself further.  I finished Shades of Earl Grey by Laura Childs and was willing to try one more for the sake of my bookchain.  Shades was not well done for kindle as it had many typos.......and was published professionally.  I discovered the next several were never released on Kindle and I am wondering if the typos is why.  Anyway I moved on to cooking mysteries and just finished the Banana Creme Pie Murder which Wes crammed full of recipes but did’t enjoy it as much as remember liking these.  Ended on a cliffhanger so I will start the next one.........Now reading Death by Chocolate by McKevett which is part of another series I read many years ago......no opinion yet!

• Like 6

Good afternoon, my lovelies.  Spring has sprung and it is absolutely gorgeous outside here. Hopefully in your areas as well and you have a chance to go take a walk and be outside, get some exercise and fresh air.  I spoke too soon. Our county has ordered all non essential businesses to close.  After I had a mini panic attack and hubby talked me down,  he reminded me that we are essential to all our pro musicians in our area who are in the midst of recording in their home studios, so unofficially we are open if needed for emergency repairs in the coming days.  Plus supporting our local small restaurants with take out orders.  Then  I read this quote: "Spring: a lovely reminder of how beautiful change can truly be."  

I started sipping on Madeleine L'Engle's Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art which is quite lovely and giving me things to ponder throughout my day.    Next up on reading plate is Patricia Brigg's Smoke Bitten and finish ebook Deborah Harkness's The Book of Life, #3 in her All Souls Trilogy. 

I received the $20 credit from audible for listening to three audiobooks so I picked up Barbara Abercrombie's Kicking In the Wall: A Year of Writing Exercises, Prompts, and Quotes to Help You Break Through Your Blocks and Reach Your Writing Goals and Patricia Brigg's 2nd book in her Huroug duology, Dragon Blood

I noticed last night that all the books I'm reading that I'm stuck in the first part of the alphabet and reading an over abundance of A's - D's in titles and authors. E has been sorely neglected so I need to sprinkle in some e's.  Any suggestions for authors with E names?

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

I enjoyed a historical WW2 era romance novella some time ago that is currently free for Kindle readers ~

Briarley by Aster Glenn Gray,

"An m/m World War II-era retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

During a chance summer shower, an English country parson takes refuge in a country house. The house seems deserted, yet the table is laid with a sumptuous banquet such as the parson has not seen since before war rationing.

Unnerved by the uncanny house, he flees, but stops to pluck a single perfect rose from the garden for his daughter - only for the master of the house to appear, breathing fire with rage. Literally.

At first, the parson can't stand this dragon-man. But slowly, he begins to feel the injustice of the curse that holds the dragon captive. What can break this vengeful curse?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I am now starting to think that a 37 hour Audible book on Warren Buffett was a bit ambitious. I'm 11 hours in and wow, those remaining 26 hours area looking long, even at 1.5 speed! 

37 hours!  Oh my!  I put that on hold when you started reading it.  I think I had better cancel that.....I can’t seem to even finish a10 hour audio book.  I just had to renew,  I haven’t done anything crafty in days......just not in the mood.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

I noticed last night that all the books I'm reading that I'm stuck in the first part of the alphabet and reading an over abundance of A's - D's in titles and authors. E has been sorely neglected so I need to sprinkle in some e's.  Any suggestions for authors with E names?

E-authors on my shelves:

Maria Edgeworth, early 19th-century novelist and children's author; wrote Belinda
Loren Eiseley, scientist; literary nature writings I think you might like; maybe The Night Country.
Shusaku Endo, Silence. A genuinely great book.
Euripides, if tragedy comports well with the present moment for you.
St Ephrem the Syrian, who wrote beautiful poetic hymns in the 4th century.
And of course the Eliots (George and T. S.), and Emerson.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1