Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m going to share this in case it’s helpful.  When we went through the bushfire situation most recently every time I felt my anxiety start peaking I made myself take 1 preventative action.  Sweep the back step to keep it clear.  Etc.  Just one small simple thing.  Waiting is really hard for anxiety but doing simple preparedness actions can really help.

one proviso here ... I’m not sure if this is a good way to deal with it if you suffer from OCD or something.  But for normal run of the mill anxiety it seems to help.

I agree. it is very important to be DOING something. That was my take on the bushfire crisis as well. the importance is in action. otherwise you go crazy.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Pen said:

Wow!  Whole other level consideration.

well for those of us in bushfire / wildfire areas some portable stuff might be useful.  But I figure if needing to evacuate portable only needs to be for a limited time.  

I don’t know. The Covid-19 scenario would be forced evacuation, but to something like a repurposed convention center, and still feeling well or minimally sick?

I think one’s personal medicines if any, things like that.  Maybe a water bottle and some granola bars or similar ?  I dunno.  I’d think carrying stuff would be hard.  I’d want my cellphone and charger and cord.  Glasses.  Eye drops I use. Change of clothing if allowed.  Stuff like that. My vitamins and supplements.

I would not have thought to bring a lot of food.  But ???? 

don't be like me. One of the times I evacuated  from bushfires last month I took the whole contents of the chest freezer. Half a cow. No idea why ... it was after this I realised I do very strange things when I think I am calm and rational but am really panicking like crazy

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

don't be like me. One of the times I evacuated  from bushfires last month I took the whole contents of the chest freezer. Half a cow. No idea why ... it was after this I realised I do very strange things when I think I am calm and rational but am really panicking like crazy

The government lady who used to come to check our homeschool stuff had to evacuate during a fire a few years earlier.  She said everyone turned up to the oval with all their business paperwork and sentimental stuff.  She arrived with a car full of all her pets chooks and all of her potted plants.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The government lady who used to come to check our homeschool stuff had to evacuate during a fire a few years earlier.  She said everyone turned up to the oval with all their business paperwork and sentimental stuff.  She arrived with a car full of all her pets chooks and all of her potted plants.

well I did take the silkies the one time as well

the good thing about taking the whole contents of the freezer was I saved it all. we had no electricity and where I evacuated to they had a generator - not that I knew that when I packed the stuff in my car though .....

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

2 hours ago, Pen said:

I’m catching up back from start of thread!

I don’t think masks for general public will necessarily help a lot with Covid-19 because of its extreme transmissibility.  And because it’s hard to use proper protocol with masks themselves.  And because of sold out supplies and needing them for medical workers.

But might help with other illnesses.

So I would agree that I’d like it to be more normalized 

If anything here they are discouraging wearing of masks because they don’t want a shortage for health workers.  They say it provides minimum protection except in intense health care situations like intubation etc.  The exception is if you are the sick one because it does protect other people to some extent.

I’m not saying that’s necessarily right but its the current advice.

I meant the same with the parts I show bold and underlined. 

As long as supplies limited, need them for medical workers, plus not especially useful with regard to Covid-19 for most people (or not beyond what a bandanna could also donto help keep hands away from mouth and nose.

now after taking that as one thought,

separate ideas: 

Masks might help though with other illnesses (but only when mask supplies allow!!! Medical workers still need them first!!!) 

and I’d like to see it more normalized (personally I would so that I didn’t seem so weird when needing them because of fragrance chemical products and the like 😌)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

There a post further up thread with a study of the substances that were effective and concentration.

i did see the supermarket selling a canestan branded soaking liquid that was advertising effective against virus and bacteria.  Meant to look into it but haven’t.  What about sticking stuff in hot to boiling water - the stuff that can tolerate it?  I know it could tolerate warm water but not sure about boiling.

i don’t tend to worry that much - focus on hands to face contact because that’s easy and beyond that we will have to take our chances.  

I haven’t seen anything specific to Covid19, but boiling kills or deactivates most bacteria and viruses.  

It’s what we were supposed to do in some recent time after flooding made water supplies suspect

• Like 2

I don't expect it to come to this but the preparedness discussion has made me think through where we are with regards to food and such if we were to go into a shelter in place sort of scenario. I've got probably at least a month worth of long term food storage--grains and beans and such; come summer we will have all the fresh produce we can eat from the garden; right now all I have growing is a tiny little hydroponics set up with greens but it is something. And we get a handful of eggs every day from our little backyard flock. I've even got a decent supply of water, big fifty gallon barrels. I feel we'd be decently set up for awhile if necessary.

We've got plenty of homeschool supplies of course, but I do think my kids would go stir crazy very quickly without their extracurricular activities!

Edited by maize
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

I haven’t seen anything specific to Covid19, but boiling kills or deactivates most bacteria and viruses.  

It’s what we were supposed to do in some recent time after flooding made water supplies suspect

Yeah, boiling kills most anything.

When we lived where parisites were common on produce (amoebas, giardia...) we would soak produce in a bleach bath. Stuff that couldn't handle that kind of treatment we either cooked (strawberries) or went without (lettuce).

Water was boiled or distilled (depending on the use; we boiled even for washing dishes).

• Like 4

Offices in lock down in London Canary Wharf. A employee of the company returned from a country that is affected and seemed ill so was tested and others have been sent home now as a precaution as well. Full news story here, further updates to come- https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/26/canary-wharf-offices-lockdown-worker-suffers-coronavirus-symptoms-12306334/?ico=pushly-notifcation-small&utm_source=pushly

I had no idea how serious this was until now. 

• Like 4

17 new cases 1 new death (69 year old man with previous respiratory problems) from Italy.  1 case is a child but not in serious condition.

1 new death in Japan

7 new cases in Kuwait

1st case in Greece

confirmation of the case in Brazil 

one lady from condogno in Italy said there was only one fruit and veg shop open in the town.  All other shops stayed closed.  Definitely a good idea to stock up.  That said no idea of our Italian neighbours are typical but I reckon they could eat for a year with their food stashes!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

14 new cases on the Diamond Princess today now a total of 705 ( this doesn’t include those who rested positive after evacuation to other countries I don’t think)

I think there may be inconsistency in whether cases since repatriation are credited back to DP or not. 

Can you recall what total DP population was?

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think there may be inconsistency in whether cases since repatriation are credited back to DP or not. 

Can you recall what total DP population was?

Around 3600?  I’ll find out

this is from bno.  Once people were evacuated they began ascribing cases to the location where they were diagnosed.  I think they did it that way because that’s how CDC did it.  It also means people are being allocated to the country who is ultimately taking care of their health care.  It would be useful separately though to see the total number of passengers who end up with the virus I guess.  Although some transmission might have happened due to mistakes in the evacuation procedures rather than on the ship. 

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

In terms of preparedness what about if you have to leave your place to go into quarantine?  I’m not sure if that’s even a likely scenario at this stage but it did happen in Wuhan.  And it appeared the quarantine centres were pretty under equipped at the start.  Is it worth having a stash of portable food?

I don't know about any other countries, but in the United States FEMA has set up old military bases that haven't been used since WWII to be remote hospitals in the event of something like this. Hence the legal battle about transferring patients to Alabama or using a mostly abandoned California hospital for those who are so ill they may not be able to handle that many hours of travel.

7 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I've been trying to find some sort of spray that works on enveloped viruses like COVID-19, but the only thing that comes up that is readily available to the general public is bleach. Of course, people aren't going to want to spray their clothes with bleach. So either you wear raggedly clothes out to the store that you don't care if they get bleached, (lol), or you could wear blue farmer coveralls and leave them outside to hang in the sunlight. Or...? I don't know.  You can make yourself crazy thinking about all this. 

You could probably boil any clothes if you were concerned about it, or even just throw them in the dryer on a hot/high setting for an hour.  Obviously some natural fibers (silk, wool, etc) would get ruined but I would imagine most cotton would be fine.  It might shrink a bit or get more stiff temporarily.

Alternatively you could color test polyester clothes.  Many of them can be bleached with no effect.

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

If anything here they are discouraging wearing of masks because they don’t want a shortage for health workers.  They say it provides minimum protection except in intense health care situations like intubation etc.  The exception is if you are the sick one because it does protect other people to some extent.

I’m not saying that’s necessarily right but its the current advice.

I would think in fully developed nations healthcare workers would be using the sort of respirators and masks they are all issued for treating tuberculosis.  At least every hospital nursing job I had in the USA I was issued a mask.  Perhaps they want to keep the masks available for areas of China?

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

It makes sense to me.  Half a cow here is more than $800 of meat!  Which likely wouldn't be covered by insurance.

3 hours ago, maize said:

I don't expect it to come to this but the preparedness discussion has made me think through where we are with regards to food and such if we were to go into a shelter in place sort of scenario. I've got probably at least a month worth of long term food storage--grains and beans and such; come summer we will have all the fresh produce we can eat from the garden; right now all I have growing is a tiny little hydroponics set up with greens but it is something. And we get a handful of eggs every day from our little backyard flock. I've even got a decent supply of water, big fifty gallon barrels. I feel we'd be decently set up for awhile if necessary.

We've got plenty of homeschool supplies of course, but I do think my kids would go stir crazy very quickly without their extracurricular activities!

Right?  Mine go crazy if we're stuck at home for just a few days because of a snowstorm.  I can't imagine months at a time!

• Like 2

I’ve been searching for peer reviewed studies or articles reviewing use of Vitamin D for respiratory infection generally, or coronavirus more specifically.  I’ll post as I find what might be interesting ones.

re tuberculosis:  (tuberculosis is, of course, bacterial, not viral, but as it frequently affects lungs similar to Covid19, some aspects of immune support may be very relevant)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28756294/

Quote:

Historically, cod liver oil in the 1840's, phototherapy in the 1890's, sunshine in the 1890's and 1930's, oral vitamin D in doses of 100,000-150,000 international units a day the 1940's, and injectable vitamin D in the 1940's were all shown to be able to safely treat tuberculosis. However, for reasons that are unclear, these treatments are no longer being used to treat tuberculosis. We will review several reports that documented the clinical efficacy of these seemingly disparate treatments in treating tuberculosis. Taken together, however, these reports show the consistent efficacy of vitamin D in treating tuberculosis infections, regardless of whether the vitamin D was produced in the skin from the effects of phototherapy or sunshine, taken orally as a pill or in cod-liver oil, or put into solution and injected directly into the body”

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don't know about any other countries, but in the United States FEMA has set up old military bases that haven't been used since WWII to be remote hospitals in the event of something like this. Hence the legal battle about transferring patients to Alabama or using a mostly abandoned California hospital for those who are so ill they may not be able to handle that many hours of travel.

You could probably boil any clothes if you were concerned about it, or even just throw them in the dryer on a hot/high setting for an hour.  Obviously some natural fibers (silk, wool, etc) would get ruined but I would imagine most cotton would be fine.  It might shrink a bit or get more stiff temporarily.

Alternatively you could color test polyester clothes.  Many of them can be bleached with no effect.

I would think in fully developed nations healthcare workers would be using the sort of respirators and masks they are all issued for treating tuberculosis.  At least every hospital nursing job I had in the USA I was issued a mask.  Perhaps they want to keep the masks available for areas of China?

It makes sense to me.  Half a cow here is more than $800 of meat!  Which likely wouldn't be covered by insurance.

Right?  Mine go crazy if we're stuck at home for just a few days because of a snowstorm.  I can't imagine months at a time!

You’d think so.  But there was a tweet from doctors a couple of weeks ago here after they received advice to use a standard surgical mask instead of an N95.  They wanted to know if it was an evidence based decision.

and Yeah, I don’t think taking the half cow was that crazy either on the odd chance of finding a fridge/freezer.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 5:55 AM, Aura said:

Was busy yesterday and didn't get much chance to get on here. Took me a bit to catch up!

The meeting for dd's Italy trip was very informative...but not wrt the coronavirus, at least, not from meeting itself. The department holding the meeting said that they would have no input on that decision; it would come from above them.  Dd shared that the university already stopped trips to China, and the students were reimbursed for the fees, courses, etc. I'm not sure about tickets. The kids were supposed to get those themselves, and dd said most had not even done that before their trips were cancelled. 

At the meeting, though, I was able to talk to a dad who is a pilot for a major airline (I've known this man for several years now). He works out of the Atlanta airport and is gone from home for days to weeks at a time. This past week he flew from Toronto to Atlanta. As they approached Atlanta, he got a message saying that a passenger needed to be allowed to disembark before anyone else because the CDC was waiting for them at the terminal because that person had COVID-19. Neither the pilot nor anyone else on the plane had any idea that an infected person was on the plane. I don't know if the airline knew about this in advance and did not share it with anyone, not even the pilot (which was what he seemed to think was going on) or if the CDC tracked down that individual and located him/her mid-flight.

Between things like this, other stories of people who have been exposed being turned down for testing, the whole DP fiasco, the Italy cases, and the faulty test kits that the US sent out (not just to states but to 30 other countries!) which has led to there only being THREE places here in the US that can test for the virus ... I really feel like no one really knows what's going on. Officials are playing catch-up. They're not staying ahead of anything and pretty much everything is reactionary.

I’m not sure if this is relevant to you but sharing just in case

https://abcnews.go.com/International/universities-cancel-study-abroad-programs-italy-coronavirus/story?id=69208730&cid=social_twitter_abcn

• Like 2

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3308600/

vitamin D as anti-viral (particularly enveloped viruses, which I think Covid19 is).

quote:

Vitamin D has long been recognized as essential to the skeletal system. Newer evidence suggests that it also plays a major role regulating the immune system, perhaps including immune responses to viral infection. Interventional and observational epidemiological studies provide evidence that vitamin D deficiency may confer increased risk of influenza and respiratory tract infection. Vitamin D deficiency is also prevalent among patients with HIV infection. Cell culture experiments support the thesis that vitamin D has direct anti-viral effects particularly against enveloped viruses.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

Well, hell guys. The two cases just turning up in Austria are in Innsbruck. This is where we are, though not in that hotel. 😞

I wasn’t worried before...

Uh oh.  I was thinking you were going to be lucky to get your great trip in, be done before it arrived near you, and miss all this.  I hope all will be well.  And prayers 🙏

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I stopped caring about the word.  Maybe like with my DS school, not causing panic is good.

I doubt it can still be “contained” though. 

Maybe “contained” is way of talking about doing things that can have slowing effect.  Because importance of slowing is hard for people to grasp. So if it were declared uncontainable people would be, like “WTH, might as well go party in Hubei. Then travel around the world. We’re gonna get it anyway.”

Edited by Pen

Well, we are now seriously contemplating canceling our trip.  After spending time reading more about who has the most serious issues, one of our dd's has a congenital heart defect as well as an autoimmune disorder.  With SF having declared a state of emergency (even though they have zero cases presently), we are also concerned about what would happen if all of a sudden we were forced to stay all the way on the other side of the country bc our Aspie, who is only semi-indpendent, would be left here by himself.

Thankfully, we booked through SW, so we aren't forfeiting our tickets. We haven't hit the button yet, though.  It is so hard to make the decision to not go b/c we have been looking forward to it for so long.  😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 14

1 minute ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Well, we are now seriously contemplating canceling our trip.  After spending time reading more about who has the most serious issues, one of our dd's has a congenital heart defect as well as an autoimmune disorder.  With SF having declared a state of emergency (even though they have zero cases presently), we are also concerned about what would happen if all of a sudden we were forced to stay all the way on the other side of the country bc our Aspie, who is only semi-indpendent, would be left here by himself.

Thankfully, we booked through SW, so we aren't forfeiting our tickets. We haven't hit the button yet, though.  It is so hard to make the decision to not go b/c we have been looking forward to it for so long.  😞

I'm really sorry.  😞

6 minutes ago, Quill said:

Well, hell guys. The two cases just turning up in Austria are in Innsbruck. This is where we are, though not in that hotel. 😞

I wasn’t worried before...

Ah damn!  I’m sure your chances are still very low but fingers crossed for you.  
when were you there?  It said the couple were in Italy last week so if you were back a few days ago you should be ok. 

4 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

At least you have the tickets with SW so you can go another time and not be out the money. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Disappointing! I’d be so sad to make that decision.

my nephew is in one of the affected countries now.  First big trip and didn’t want to give it up.  But he’s young healthy and no kids to worry about.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Thank you! Dd's trip doesn't start until the end of May, so this doesn't include her. Definitely something to keep in mind and keep an eye on, though. 

• Like 3

A meta report on a bunch of Vitamin D studies related to viruses.  I wish it had more detail like amount and form of D used in the study, for example. And whether cofactors were taken.

One positive thing I noticed was that Vitamin D seems to tend to me immune modulatory . As a person with autoimmunity I want modulatory, not over stimulated.  This could possibly also be positive with regard to not tending to trigger cytokine storm.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3308600/

overall:

Conclusions

These results support the hypothesis that vitamin D induced LL-37, and to a lesser extent human beta defensin 2, may play a major role in the inhibition of viruses. However, these experiments do not completely model the complex effects of vitamin D and may not accurately represent its systemic influence. Further experiments are necessary to fully elucidate the mechanisms of vitamin D induced peptides and vitamin D itself.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Disappointing! I’d be so sad to make that decision.

my nephew is in one of the affected countries now.  First big trip and didn’t want to give it up.  But he’s young healthy and no kids to worry about.

I hadn't really considered that there could have been young parents on the DP who had children being watched by others for a few days (that turned into weeks) or parents of disabled adults.  It didn't occur to me until I thought about people being quarantined after flights with sick passengers or travel being restricted. Our disabled adult ds would shut completely down from anxiety if all of a sudden he knew we were quarantined somewhere and he couldn't see us.  

• Sad 8

30 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

when were you there?  It said the couple were in Italy last week so if you were back a few days ago you should be ok. 

Afaik, She’s there right now! 

• Like 1

I found out last night that some former homeschooling friends who have since moved away are in Spain right now. :(

I think most people considered this a "Chinese disease" until the CDC's announcement the other day. I was discussing it last night with someone who deals woth the public every day. Her DH has a health situation that would put him in danger if he caught COVID-19. She might not be able to be around him at all if it gets to our area due to possibly passing it to him. We had a debate on if he'd be safer 'sheltering in place' at his work (which will require key employees to live at work if it does spread widely) or becoming a hermit at home.

2 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I found out last night that some former homeschooling friends who have since moved away are in Spain right now. 😞

I think most people considered this a "Chinese disease" until the CDC's announcement the other day. I was discussing it last night with someone who deals woth the public every day. Her DH has a health situation that would put him in danger if he caught COVID-19. She might not be able to be around him at all if it gets to our area due to possibly passing it to him. We had a debate on if he'd be safer 'sheltering in place' at his work (which will require key employees to live at work if it does spread widely) or becoming a hermit at home.

Since it can apparently travel by aerosol, not just droplets, unless you have a big house and can create an isolation area for him as at a hospital unit (though sort of reversed as it would be for keeping him safe from possible virus on others, not keeping his virus from infecting others), I would think at work with fewer connections to  outside world frequent public contact 

39 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

@Pen is right; we are literally IN Innsbruck, Austria right now. And they just had the last day of Fasching/Karnival here in the market square last night. We are in Innsbruck until Friday. 

• Sad 5

Lung health and vitamin 😧

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322206

Quote:

The researchers noted that the lung CT scans of the participants who lacked appropriate levels of vitamin D showed a greater amount of spots indicative of damaged tissue, when compared with those of participants with optimal vitamin D levels.

These findings remained valid, even after the researchers adjusted their analysis to account for potential modifying factors, such as age, smoking habits, obesity, or lack of regular exercise.

Though Dr. Michos and colleagues explain that their study only indicates an association and cannot yet speak of a clear cause-and-effect relationship, they believe that additional research should dive deeper to confirm whether optimal vitamin D levels could protect people against the onset of lung disease, which is currently an incurable condition.

“[M]ore research is needed to determine whether optimizing blood vitamin D levels can prevent or slow progression of this lung disease,” Dr. Michos notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pen said:

Since it can apparently travel by aerosol, not just droplets, unless you have a big house and can create an isolation area for him as at a hospital unit (though sort of reversed as it would be for keeping him safe from possible virus on others, not keeping his virus from infecting others), I would think at work with fewer connections to  outside world frequent public contact 

Their house is set up his/hers so he could pretty much live/shower/eat (but not prepare his own food) in his workshop area that is (small) apartment level size. Food would be the only frequent need.

It would depend on how tight the lockdown at work is, IMO. Lots of employees travel personally so it would need to be a 100% quarantine. If mid-level & higher managers are allowed to come & go (home/work), he is better off at home.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quill said:

@Pen is right; we are literally IN Innsbruck, Austria right now. And they just had the last day of Fasching/Karnival here in the market square last night. We are in Innsbruck until Friday. 

It sounds like such a wonderful trip.  I expect your dd will be fine due to her age group, probably only having it mild if she gets it.  But I’m concerned for you because of previous health issues.  You seem pretty fit though, so that should help.  

1 minute ago, Pen said:

It sounds like such a wonderful trip.  I expect your dd will be fine due to her age group, probably only having it mild if she gets it.  But I’m concerned for you because of previous health issues.  You seem pretty fit though, so that should help.  

Yeah I have thought about that for myself. I am not sure if I “qualify” as immuno-compromised now/still. I am pretty fit for a woman my age but the cancer survivor piece...I don’t actually know what my risk is. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Their house is set up his/hers so he could pretty much live/shower/eat (but not prepare his own food) in his workshop area that is (small) apartment level size. Food would be the only frequent need.

It would depend on how tight the lockdown at work is, IMO. Lots of employees travel personally so it would need to be a 100% quarantine. If mid-level & higher managers are allowed to come & go (home/work), he is better off at home.

Could they put some sort of mini fridge, hotplate, and or instant pot in his area?  And stock him up some food? Then if he needs to be in his isolation area maybe groceries could be brought to just outside his area and set down (after wife has had clean clothes, shower etc) , after a bit he  would open door and take in his grocery supplies—so it would be a risk time, but kept infrequent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Yeah I have thought about that for myself. I am not sure if I “qualify” as immuno-compromised now/still. I am pretty fit for a woman my age but the cancer survivor piece...I don’t actually know what my risk is. 

In your place, personally, I would be ....   you know .... taking vitamin D3, since it might help and would be unlikely to hurt.   I think iirc it’s available otc in Germany and UK—I don’t know about Austria.