Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW1: Happy New Year - Our Journey Continues

Robin M

6 hours ago, Kareni said:

I would enjoy knowing some five or ten of your favorite sf/fantasy books/series if you are willing to share.

Regards,

Kareni

Probably not anything new to you, but :

Lois McMaster Bujold, Vorkosigan series. I love Komarr - it's my go to comfort read when I'm sick. The Curse of Chalion is my favorite of her fantasy novels.

Elizabeth Moon, The Deed of Paksennarion. In her sf, I love Once A Hero.

Connie Willis, Bellwether. Her Christmas short story collection is also a favorite. She wrote an adorable light sf/romance with Cynthia Felice, The Promised Land, that you would probably enjoy. 

David Weber, Honor Harrington series. Flag in Exile is maybe my favorite. I like space opera and military sf like Weber's March Upcountry trilogy.

Anne Bishop, The Shadow Queen is my favorite of the Black Jewels series.

My favorite Terry Pratchett is Going Postal. Or maybe Guards, Guards. Or maybe Unseen Academicals. It's too hard to choose!

I haven't read a lot of new to me sf/fantasy lately, but I did love The Goblin Emperor (which you recommended last year). I look forward to getting more current.

• Like 5

Happy New Year, All! May it be one of great progress in the direction of improvement for every living thing on earth!

I am reading Turtles All The Way Down. It is very good, so good that I doubt I would have picked it on my own, but youngest gave it to me for Christmas, so I will read it and just deal with any emotional turmoil it causes. So far, I am enjoying it, but it has the potential to be memorable. I have not yet figured out how the book relates to the title, which is a quote that I recognize, but I am beginning to have an inkling. 

Nan

• Like 5

I just finished reading The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas.  And I left my first review on goodreads. :)

I really enjoyed this novel, but after reading some of Dumas' other works it almost felt like a short story. :)
I think that this would be a good introductory novel for anyone who wants to read Dumas but is daunted by the size of some of his major works.
I also enjoyed this book for the small taste of Holland that it described.  My grandfather served in the Navy during World War II.  He never talked about his experiences, but he once mentioned that Holland was the most beautiful place he had ever seen.  Whenever I see a tulip, I think of my Papa. :)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Finished:

Anna, Where Are You (Miss Silver) by Patricia Wentworth - Highly recommend. We get lots of Miss Silver from the start. I worried the heroine was going to become TSTL but Wentworth made every decision she made seem plausible. Parts even bordered on creepy. A great read.

Mild spoiler question for Miss Silver readers (highlight to read): Does poor Frank Abbot ever find a nice girl and get married?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Junie said:

really enjoyed this novel, but after reading some of Dumas' other works it almost felt like a short story. 🙂

🤣

3 hours ago, Junie said:

My grandfather served in the Navy during World War II.  He never talked about his experiences, but he once mentioned that Holland was the most beautiful place he had ever seen.  Whenever I see a tulip, I think of my Papa. 🙂

What a nice remembrance for a beloved grandfather!

• Like 4

On 1/6/2020 at 10:29 PM, Bocky said:

Starting in the east, I've got Kazuo Ishiguro, An Artist of the Floating World.

Ooh!  I've read that book--I thought the writing was fabulous.  I particularly enjoyed the look at Post WWII Japan--the culture in general and the coming to terms of being on the "losing" side in particular.   

I just finished my first book of the year, The Heavenly Man.   I'm glad I read it as someone had loaned it to me (months ago) and now I can return it.  I must say, that the story itself didn't grip me.  I don't know if it is because of translation issues or just personal style but the writing itself was.... lackluster, almost childish in stringing one idea after another with very little nuance or complexity of thought.  I've read lots of bios/missionary bios and this one failed to grip me--partly because of the writing but also partly because I couldn't see myself ever facing the challenges he did....

Now that I'm finished and casting around for the next book, I amazed at all of you with your big lists of what to read with categories and all.  At present, I think I will have two on my nightstand:

The 36-Hour Caregiver which a fellow boardie recommended in another thread on dealing with the elderly and creeping dementia--something I dealing with as MIL moved in with us 4 months ago.  This will be my "dip" book--love that term, btw.

I, Claudius because it has been on the shelf for ages--picked up at a Friends of the Library sale and got misplaced in a move.....  I kind of miss our homeschooling days (all mine are graduated from college now, so it has been awhile); it will be nice to revisit Ancient Rome. 😉 

I've yet to print the Bingo sheet or that other one 20 in 20.  Need to do that so I can start figuring which title is going to satisfy which category....

Happy Reading, everyone!

• Like 6

I finished rereading "Arms Wide Open" by Patricia Harman a couple of days ago.

This book.  Oh, this book.

I read it because I was going to donate it to a Little Free Library, and I started to glance through it before putting it in the bag.  What I remembered about it was kind of trite.  A trippy 60s hippie chick lives off the grid with a small succession of lovers and becomes a midwife, then ends up more stable doing more traditional medicine in a home near water in Appalachia.  Why would I ever want to read it again?  I mean, it was interesting, but not the kind of book you come back to over and over.  Plus homesteading in the Duluth area has never made any sense to me.  The harsh, unforgiving climate and short growing season seem to militate against success and actually to be fairly dangerous.  Since that is where the book opens, it's what stayed with me the most.

But I will be keeping it.

Because although I disagree with vast swaths of her moral and lifestyle choices, her writing is very compelling and self-aware.  She can express her ideals and the things she loves about her lifestyle, the fundamental beliefs that drove her to want to live lightly on the land, her connections to others and to the landscape in various communal settings along the way, and the beauties and affinities of her life, while still unflinchingly describing the drawbacks and challenges--the extraordinarily relentless hard work, the dangers, the loneliness, the lack of margin, the lack of longterm relationships, and the poverty of these lifestyles.  I admire her for being able to be idealistic and realistic at the same time, and the way that she expresses the conflict between the two.  Her observations of nature are lovely and resonate deeply with me.  Her wistful desire for community ditto.  She well-documents a time and an approach that I was only tangentially familiar with, being about 10-15 years younger than she, I believe.  The work with land trusts was interesting. 

What I found most poignant about the attempts at community was the fact that she always always believed that if there was a committed group all working hard together on the needs of daily life that even living in a 'back to the land' fashion, they would be able to develop economies of scale (on a personal level) that would free up time to do other work as well.  This really didn't seem to come to fruition, and it was constantly frustrating.  Plus the ebb and flow of commitments to these communities was challenging.  In this book I recognize these trends that I have seen elsewhere in every book about a real attempt at a utopian community that I have ever read, and more--the endless discussions, the tension between private and public property, the need for outside inputs, the frustration with that, etc.  But they are documented better and in more detail and in a more well-rounded positive/negative way than most.

I'm glad I read this again, and I am going to keep to read again in the future.  I don't have to agree with someone to enjoy her.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bocky said:

Lois McMaster Bujold, Vorkosigan series. I love Komarr - it's my go to comfort read when I'm sick. The Curse of Chalion is my favorite of her fantasy novels.

I wasn't overly impressed with The Sharing Knife but found Shards of Honor a pleasant read. I've picked up several more books in that latter series to read at some point. I've heard excellent reviews of The Curse of Chalion.

Elizabeth Moon, The Deed of Paksennarion. In her sf, I love Once A Hero

Of her work, I enjoyed Once a Hero and, to a lesser extent, Cold Welcome.

Connie Willis, Bellwether. Her Christmas short story collection is also a favorite. She wrote an adorable light sf/romance with Cynthia Felice, The Promised Land, that you would probably enjoy. 

I read a good review recently of her Christmas stories and have a library copy here at home. All previous attempts at reading To Say Nothing of the Dog have failed!

More later....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Just finished Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less, by Greg McKeown

Last year I spent a lot of time decluttering our home. I thought it would be appropriate to begin this year with a book to inspire living more focused on just doing the things that really matter. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Bocky said:

David Weber, Honor Harrington series. Flag in Exile is maybe my favorite. I like space opera and military sf like Weber's March Upcountry trilogy.

I read the first eight or ten Honor Harrington books and enjoyed them all. The individual books at that point in the series were over 800 pages, so I wanted to take a break to read some other books. I haven't read any of his other series but will keep March Upcountry in mind.

Anne Bishop, The Shadow Queen is my favorite of the Black Jewels series.

I read the Black Jewels trilogy, but I was constantly putting the books down and then picking them up again. Some of the scenes in that series have stayed with me even though I wish they hadn't. (Bacon grease....) 

On the other hand, I count the author's The Others series amongst my favorite books.

My favorite Terry Pratchett is Going Postal. Or maybe Guards, Guards. Or maybe Unseen Academicals. It's too hard to choose!

I read Mort years ago but have yet to read another Pratchett book.

I haven't read a lot of new to me sf/fantasy lately, but I did love The Goblin Emperor (which you recommended last year). I look forward to getting more current.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Goblin Emperor; it's another of my recent favorites.

You've likely seen me recommend 

Linesman (A Linesman Novel Book 1) by S. K. Dunstall

I also liked  All Systems Red: The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells

In the science fiction romance category, I liked 

Dark Horse (Class 5 Series Book 1) by Michelle Diener.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pen said:

@mumto2 I am on book 18 of Melanie Travis

Does that mean you like them? 😉

I finished Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs earlier today and really enjoyed the start of the book a and the end, the middle was a bit too long for me.....overall gave it a 4*.  Lots of names that became confusing in the middle so I went ahead and checked Dragon Blood out on audio so I can hopefully finish the series off quickly.  The dragon mythology was interesting btw.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Does that mean you like them? 😉

I finished Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs earlier today and really enjoyed the start of the book a and the end, the middle was a bit too long for me.....overall gave it a 4*.  Lots of names that became confusing in the middle so I went ahead and checked Dragon Blood out on audio so I can hopefully finish the series off quickly.  The dragon mythology was interesting btw.

Guess so 😉 — not great lit and predictable that she’s going to walk into yet another near death encounter with murderer...but very easy to do housework to as it plays along and keeps me entertained!

• Like 5

I don't know why I keep torturing myself with Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran. I keep thinking that there will be an end to the stupid "Cinderella" story and it will actually get to some interesting history part.....I mean all those people who gave it 5 stars on Amazon and Goodreads couldn't have bee that wrong??  But I am half way through and I don't see anything redeeming about this book.

Will be going back to Atomic Habits and and may will start the Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.

• Like 7

On 1/7/2020 at 6:44 AM, Bocky said:

I agree--it is hard to choose! My kids, now long gone, left some of his books behind on their shelves, so I picked up a few to read.  I'm not a big one for fantasy, but I thoroughly enjoyed the few I read (a couple with Sam Vines--titles escape me).  Pratchett writes well and manages to interweave humor, pathos and social commentary while telling a good story.  That is my kind of book!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Kareni said:

In the science fiction romance category, I liked 

Dark Horse (Class 5 Series Book 1) by Michelle Diener.

Thank you, Karen.  I started reading this last night and am enjoying so far. 

Still listening to Faith Hunter's Junkyard Cats and wishing it was in book form. I really want to read as there is so many tidbits of information that are making me back up and listen again.  I normally only listen to audiobooks in the car, but spent about a hour yesterday  afternoon listening while putting away laundry, then sat on the couch and colored.  Felt totally lazy and like I should be doing something else. LOL! 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

On 1/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, mumto2 said:

Q84 is filled with weird scenes in general.  It was the first “out of my comfort zone” book I attempted after joining BaW.....we had a read along.  I enjoyed it far more than anticipated.....I still remember picking it up at my tiny village library from a hold request and being handed two fat volumes.  The hugeness created a bit of curiosity and the librarians were surprised that hat I actually finished it!  I have gone on to read most of his fiction.  I have become a bit of a Murakami fan girl!😂 So far I have been reading one chapter most days.....up to 6%....really hoping this kindle book proves to be easy to renew!  I remember being very confused during the first chapters the first time and so far have been amazed by how foundational they really are.

Me too!  I think we have Stacia to thank for introducing us to Murakami as well as other authors like him.  

• Like 3

This book is currently free for Kindle readers; I've heard good things about it. It's an asexual romance. ~

Mindtouch (The Dreamhealers Book 1) by M. C. A. Hogarth

"Seersana University is worlds-renowned for its xenopsychology program, producing the Alliance's finest therapists, psychiatric nurses and alien researchers. When Jahir, one of the rare and reclusive Eldritch espers, arrives on campus, he's unprepared for the challenges of a vast and multicultural society... but fortunately, second-year student Vasiht'h is willing to take him under his wing. Will the two win past their troubles and doubts and see the potential for a once-in-a-lifetime partnership?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Hello friends, both old and new! Just checking in, having finished my first book for the year. The Gifted School  by Bruce Holsinger. It's in the vein of the recent college scandals about the lengths people go to get their children into a new "gifted" school coming to their community. It centers around four families who started out as a play group and now have young teens. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it - seemed predictable at first - but about halfway through I was hooked. I'd give it 4.5 stars.

image.png.b4123595386d5cfe852b5707b0ed5580.png

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, Shawneinfl said:

Hello friends, both old and new! Just checking in, having finished my first book for the year. The Gifted School  by Bruce Holsinger. It's in the vein of the recent college scandals about the lengths people go to get their children into a new "gifted" school coming to their community. It centers around four families who started out as a play group and now have young teens. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it - seemed predictable at first - but about halfway through I was hooked. I'd give it 4.5 stars.

Happy to see you!  I remember looking at this when it first came across my overdrive I was a bit unsure about it.  Noe that I have read your review I am putting it on hold.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

i enjoyed the lists especially the Sci Fi list.  I already knew about and had hold’s on two of the but you managed to increase my want list...as soon as I can recommend again (2 days) I plan to recommend others from this list.  Another Invisible Library book.🥰 I cannot wait! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21416690-the-invisible-library?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=MnazYEqTgs&rank=1  I just realized this means I will have another dragon book! That category is filling quickly......

• Like 5

Urgh.  I feel like a slacker.  I think I've spent too much time trying to organize my books on Goodreads and not enough time reading!  Oh - and too much time adding to my TBR list based on all your great recs (and then the suggestions that Goodreads gives me because I looked up the recs).

I've just been reading an Elizabeth Chadwick book, "The Love Knot".  Totally fluffy historical fiction.  But I haven't finished any books yet this year.  Too many good book recs to track down and too much fun digital book organizing. 😉

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Shawneinfl said:

Lovely to see you, Shawne! That book looks good and I'm adding it to my list. Love the cover also. 

2 hours ago, Dicentra said:

Urgh.  I feel like a slacker.  I think I've spent too much time trying to organize my books on Goodreads and not enough time reading! 

That's perfectly fine. I often do that and I'm sure that we're not the only ones! 

• Like 6

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope

"Anthony Hope’s swashbuckling classic tale of adventure and romance

Ruritania, a beautiful kingdom in the mountains between Germany and Austria, is in the midst of a power struggle. On one side is the alcoholic layabout crown prince, Rudolf—popular with the upper class and army—and on the other is his half brother, Michael, who has the love of the common people. The struggle reaches a new fervor at Rudolf’s coronation, when Michael kidnaps his brother and takes him to the Castle of Zenda. Now the only thing in the way of Black Michael’s plan is a confused distant cousin in England.

But a man named Rudolf Rassendyll could ruin Michael’s plan. Rassendyll bears a striking resemblance to the kidnapped king Rudolf. After the king’s disappearance, Rassendyll poses as the sovereign in order to maintain order—and finds that it is up to him to find the rightful ruler."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just finished the latest in the Agatha Raison cozy series Beating About the Bush https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44156421-beating-about-the-bush and have to say the series has recovered nicely from the place it was going with a Embarrassingly hysterical 50ish woman chasing men....she still is pretty man crazy but Sort of sane.  That statement is only going to make sense to someone else who has read them all....I am just happy I don’t have to give them up. This one features a wonderful grouchy, stinky donkey who falls for Agatha.  Made me lol. Comforting fluff and I have suffered from a headache for days now......air pressure, allergies, who knows, but I hate having to take pain relievers so wait too long.  

@Dicentra I think we all spend a whole lot of time plotting our reading.  I have came to believe it’s part of the fun!

That said I started plotting my book chain for this year......hoping to chain 20, many of which will probably end up being very fluffy.  I need to either connect words in the title between books or the author’s first or last name.  Can only chain once so I can’t use dragon 20 times.😉. So far I have......

Dragon Actually by GA Aiken https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3295695-dragon-actually

Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6500341-dragon-bones

Rock-a-bye Bones by Carolyn Haines https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26114526-rock-a-bye-bonesac=1&from_search=true&qid=GaQ5nE4tSJ&rank=1 next in a series I have wanted to finish, now on the nightstand

next will be something with Rock most likely

• Like 6

I recently finished reading Free Hand (Irons and Works Book 1) by  E. M. Lindsey, a contemporary romance, which I enjoyed. (Adult content)

"Derek Osbourne’s life is mostly quiet. A routine that keeps him functioning, a job as a tattoo artist that keeps his rent paid and food in his belly, and if he’s alone through it well, there are worse things to be. With his complicated past, Derek is sure no one would ever want to deal with the struggle that comes along with loving someone who has severe PTSD. Especially since the man who spent years abusing him is now in hospice, and Derek has taken over his end-of-life care. Derek’s resigned himself to living and dying alone, and maybe that’s okay. Then one night, during a raging storm, Derek finds himself stuck in an ATM vestibule with a quiet stranger, and it’s in that moment his world begins to change.

Basil Shevach is new to Fairfield, taking over his dead aunt’s florist shop. He’s also Deaf in a small town, where he and his sister are the only ones not hearing. It’s not to say he hates it there, but he’s not sure Fairfield is the place for him. At least, not until one night, when a storm leaves him trapped inside the bank with a man quietly panicking against the glass door. He’s immediately intrigued by this unbelievably attractive stranger with bright tattoos covering his arms and haunted eyes, but he’s also bitter because he’s dated a hearing man before and it ended as badly as it could go for him. He had resolved years ago to never make that mistake again, but somehow, the frightened man trapped with him in that little room, crawls under his skin and no matter what he tries, he can’t seem to shake him.

Will the two of them be able to find their way together, or will their pasts prevent them from being able to find happiness and contentment when they need it most? "

I also reread Linesman and Alliance by SK Dunstall and enjoyed them both again!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

On 1/6/2020 at 9:49 AM, Robin M said:

Have you ever read Thomas Merton?  

No I haven't.  Thank you for the reminder. I  think you mentioned him during the years of my lurkdome 😎 (is that a word) and then forgot about pursuing it further.  Do you have a title to recommend as a first, good, intro read?

• Like 4

Sorry if I've missed replying to anyone, I'm doing a shorter zoom through as I'm keeping computer time to shortish burst ( it's summertime here and I'm trying to focus on working on our build with Dh,  and,  getting to ingest  "lite" audiobooks).   ETA: last year was an epic amount of audios for me @Robin M - recovery from surgeries and life gifted me with opportunity for lots of listening, which was good!

One audiobook I've just listened to which may be one you might like @mumto2   was Hazards in Hampshire ~ Emma Dakin (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50308112-hazards-in-hampshire) It does have one really jarring profanity dump right in the middle of the book (easy to skip if your reading) it ruins the cosy listen feel the book had.  The romance is clean in this first book, for others that like to know things like that too).

I'm currently listening my way through some Heyer titles again, and  picking out some more of the the best rated Margery Allingham's ( Albert Campion) narrated by Philip Franks to enjoy.  These are abridged titles:  Death of a Ghost(1934),  Coroner's Pidgin (1945),    The Tiger in the Smoke(1952),    The Beckoning Lady(1955).     

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

Sorry if I've missed replying to anyone, I'm doing a shorter zoom through as I'm keeping computer time to shortish burst ( it's summertime here and I'm trying to focus on working on our build with Dh,  and,  getting to ingest  "lite" audiobooks).   ETA: last year was an epic amount of audios for me @Robin M - recovery from surgeries and life gifted me with opportunity for lots of listening, which was good!

One audiobook I've just listened to which may be one you might like @mumto2   was Hazards in Hampshire ~ Emma Dakin (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50308112-hazards-in-hampshire) It does have one really jarring profanity dump right in the middle of the book (easy to skip if your reading) it ruins the cosy listen feel the book had.  The romance is clean in this first book, for others that like to know things like that too).

I'm currently listening my way through some Heyer titles again, and  picking out some more of the the best rated Margery Allingham's ( Albert Campion) narrated by Philip Franks to enjoy.  These are abridged titles:  Death of a Ghost(1934),  Coroner's Pidgin (1945),    The Tiger in the Smoke(1952),    The Beckoning Lady(1955).     

Thank you, I will fill out a purchase request and see what happens.  Regarding the golden age mysteries @aggieamy I spotted a John Bude on the shelf at my library yesterday........naturally I thought of you and brought it home! I haven’t had a chance to figure out where this one fits with the others they apparently own at different branches so I may have to do a couple of hold’s before I read it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34862883-death-makes-a-prophet?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=UFGwP8c4nG&rank=1

• Like 4

I'm making progress on book organizing and I got a bit of reading in today along with my usual teaching stuff and the disposal/cleaning up of a dead mouse - I'm assuming courtesy of my cats.  Better dead than alive, I suppose. 😉

I also started another book (I think I have about 40 books on the go - I tend to get bored if I'm just reading one book at a time ;)) and the Kindle version is only $1.53 on Amazon right now.  I'm finding it fairly interesting so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Chocolate-Cream-Killer-Christiana-ebook/dp/B01DLSF1VU/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1578623731&sr=8-1-fkmr1

image.png.ef3d1093b33b76fb6303ba724c259678.png

From Amazon:

The true story of the seemingly respectable woman convicted of a murderous spree in Victorian-era Brighton, England.

In 1871, when the news broke of a series of mysterious poisonings in the popular resort town of Brighton, shock and horror gripped the public. Even more disturbing was the revelation that the culprit was not a common criminal but a local “lady of fortune,” Christiana Edmunds.

Starting in March, Christiana had sent out dozens of poisoned chocolates and sweets to Brighton’s residents. Her campaign resulted in the death of four-year-old vacationer Sidney Barker, and wounded countless others. Her arrest in August provoked such an emotional response from the local public that her trial was moved from Brighton to London’s Old Bailey.

The prosecution anticipated an easy victory. Christiana had not confessed, but witnesses confirmed she had purchased strychnine and their testimonies placed her at the scenes of the crimes. She had a motive too, argued the prosecution; she was a scorned woman. Despite the defense’s best efforts, the jury took only one hour to convict her of the murder of Sidney Barker and the attempted murder of three others. This book tells the engrossing story of the crime, the trial, the darker underworld of Victorian Brighton, and the ultimate fate of Christiana Edmunds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Shawneinfl said:

Hello friends, both old and new! Just checking in, having finished my first book for the year. The Gifted School 

Great to see you again! 

21 hours ago, Dicentra said:

Urgh.  I feel like a slacker.  I think I've spent too much time trying to organize my books on Goodreads and not enough time reading!  Oh - and too much time adding to my TBR list based on all your great recs (and then the suggestions that Goodreads gives me because I looked up the recs).

I've just been reading an Elizabeth Chadwick book, "The Love Knot".  Totally fluffy historical fiction.  But I haven't finished any books yet this year.  Too many good book recs to track down and too much fun digital book organizing. 😉

No worries. I can spend hours organizing and reorganizing lists rather than reading. 

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope

We have it in our shelves and James and I were supposed to read it. Never did get round to it.  Maybe this year when I go looking for something with a Z.

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

Robin, you might enjoy this: Michelle Diener’s The Music of the Class 5 Series series.

Awesome, I love the Cups song and wrote a really short short story using the lyrics from Fly Me to the Moon.  I sat down to read one chapter of the book this morning and except for taking James to the comic book store, have been reading it ever since. So much for cleaning the house. 😁  Finished it a little while ago and definitely going on the reread shelf. Thank you! 

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Comforting fluff and I have suffered from a headache for days now......air pressure, allergies, who knows, but I hate having to take pain relievers so wait too long.  

So sorry sweetie.  Hubby suggest a combo of Tylenol and Sudafed. Works wonders!

That said I started plotting my book chain for this year......hoping to chain 20, many of which will probably end up being very fluffy.  I need to either connect words in the title between books or the author’s first or last name.  Can only chain once so I can’t use dragon 20 times.😉. So far I have......

You can do it.  Will be on the look out for books with Rock in the title.   Weren't you reading something by Kristen Ashley?  Try her Rock Chick series.

2 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Do you have a title to recommend as a first, good, intro read?

His Autobiography Seven Storey Mountain which is a great intro to Merton. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

I'm making progress on book organizing and I got a bit of reading in today along with my usual teaching stuff and the disposal/cleaning up of a dead mouse - I'm assuming courtesy of my cats.  Better dead than alive, I suppose. 😉

Yes, the live ones are a little bit more difficult to deal with, especially when they are merely stunned and not hurt and deciding on where to release them so they are out of the cats range.  Our cats are strange. Not only do they bring us gifts of rats, left on the patio doorstep,  but if I leave a sock on the floor, Gracie loves to bring it to me a gift, mewing her little head off all the way from the bedroom to the living room as if it is a great accomplishment.  Luna will call for my attention from James bedroom which usually means she's found an empty tape roll to gift. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I am frustrated, because my reading for the year is off to a very slow start.  We’ve had a rough re-entry into real life after the holidays, and on top of that, I’m not really enjoying any of my books I’ve started.  
 I got myself a new kindle after Christmas so I can read ebooks again, and I think I might try to find a couple to read this weekend.  We have severe weather coming in tomorrow, so everything is cancelled.  I plan to spend a lot of time reading.  

• Like 6

15 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Thank you, I will fill out a purchase request and see what happens.  Regarding the golden age mysteries @aggieamy I spotted a John Bude on the shelf at my library yesterday........naturally I thought of you and brought it home! I haven’t had a chance to figure out where this one fits with the others they apparently own at different branches so I may have to do a couple of hold’s before I read it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34862883-death-makes-a-prophet?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=UFGwP8c4nG&rank=1

Ooh. That looks interesting!

3 minutes ago, Heatherwith4 said:

I am frustrated, because my reading for the year is off to a very slow start.  We’ve had a rough re-entry into real life after the holidays, and on top of that, I’m not really enjoying any of my books I’ve started.  
 I got myself a new kindle after Christmas so I can read ebooks again, and I think I might try to find a couple to read this weekend.  We have severe weather coming in tomorrow, so everything is cancelled.  I plan to spend a lot of time reading.  

You must be close to me. I'm Kansas City area. I've stocked up on hot chocolate. I still have to run to the library. I'm sure it'll be a zoo with everyone desperate to get reading material before the storm ... or maybe not. Maybe it's just my family that panics we're going to RUN OUT OF BOOKS!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I just finished The Tamarack Murders by Patrick F. McManus https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18911055-the-tamarack-murderswhich is the fifth Bo Tully 🥰 Mystery.  I finally have a square on my bingo card filled....Top of the Mountain!  It’s also being used as a T for Banana Yoshimoto and will ultimately help with one of my 10’s.....I hope to finish 10 of the series I have partially read through this year.

Sheriff Bo Tully was a new find for me last year off of the favorite books to recommend thread.  I have the biggest crush on him @aggieamy!  The marvelous thing about these books is I think Mr. Amy 😉would like them too.

@Robin M Tell your hubby thanks for the recommendation for my headache but I had already. Tried that combo which is my go to and has always worked before.        My hubby found some over the counter migraine relief-aspirin, Tylenol, and caffeine, which seem to have taken the edge off.  I slept well last night and am functioning pretty well today.   

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Kareni said:

@mumto2 was recently reading a book by author M.C. Beaton, so I thought of her when I saw this.

MC Beaton, multimillion-selling author of Agatha Raisin novels, dies aged 83

Regards,

Kareni

Sniff, sniff...........thank you as I hadn’t seen that.  She sounds like she was quite the character doesn’t she.  Apparently I might have a couple more to look forward to and if not I am glad I thought Beating About the Bush was good.

@Robin M I gave up and returned Rock Chick before deciding on the path my book chain was going.  That said I would have been out of order.  Rock seems to be a good word and I am tentatively planning Anne Hillerman’s Rock with Wings https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22934457-rock-with-wings?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=MpRfMcffex&rank=1 because it is another series I want to get back to.........If the people new to BaW haven’t caught on I like book series in order!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I just finished The Tamarack Murders by Patrick F. McManus https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18911055-the-tamarack-murderswhich is the fifth Bo Tully 🥰 Mystery.  I finally have a square on my bingo card filled....Top of the Mountain!  It’s also being used as a T for Banana Yoshimoto and will ultimately help with one of my 10’s.....I hope to finish 10 of the series I have partially read through this year.

Sheriff Bo Tully was a new find for me last year off of the favorite books to recommend thread.  I have the biggest crush on him @aggieamy!  The marvelous thing about these books is I think Mr. Amy 😉would like them too.

@Robin M Tell your hubby thanks for the recommendation for my headache but I had already. Tried that combo which is my go to and has always worked before.        My hubby found some over the counter migraine relief-aspirin, Tylenol, and caffeine, which seem to have taken the edge off.  I slept well last night and am functioning pretty well today.   

I love Pat McManus! Should I start with the first Bo Tully? 

Glad you're doing better today!   ((HUGS))

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

Ooh. That looks interesting!

You must be close to me. I'm Kansas City area. I've stocked up on hot chocolate. I still have to run to the library. I'm sure it'll be a zoo with everyone desperate to get reading material before the storm ... or maybe not. Maybe it's just my family that panics we're going to RUN OUT OF BOOKS!

No, I’m actually in Huntsville, AL.  We aren’t expecting snow, unfortunately.  It’s wind damage and tornadoes.  I hope we will get some snow before the season is over.  😊

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

I love Pat McManus! Should I start with the first Bo Tully? 

Glad you're doing better today!   ((HUGS))

Definitely start with the first because other people on GR didn’t seem to like book 5 as much as I did.  Maybe Bo needs to be an old friend by that point,  plus not a lot of explanation regarding who is who in the last book.

• Like 2

I finished the 6 Day Body Makeover by Michael Thurmond.  I have started incorporating some of the suggestions and have already lost 3 pounds.  

I am currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo.  It is interesting and not at all quite like I thought it would be.  Since it is an audiobook, it is likely I will finish it in the next week or two.

1. Below Stairs by Margaret Powell (Selfie, Pick Your Poison)

2. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (Soldier, Bingo)

3. 6 Day Body Makeover by Michael Thurmond (Making Stuff up, Pick Your Poison)

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Heatherwith4 said:

Hope everything has calmed down a bit and you find a book you want to read.  When I can't get into any new books, I reread one of my favorite authors. Congrats on the new kindle.  Stay safe! 

3 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Glad you are feeling better.  I've never read anything by McManus. Just took a look at the first Bo Tully book, The Blight Way and the first paragragh gave me the giggles. Adding him to my wish list or maybe I'll get it in audio since I have credits. 

Sniff, sniff...........thank you as I hadn’t seen that.  She sounds like she was quite the character doesn’t she.  Apparently I might have a couple more to look forward to and if not I am glad I thought Beating About the Bush was good.

@Robin M I gave up and returned Rock Chick before deciding on the path my book chain was going.  That said I would have been out of order.  Rock seems to be a good word and I am tentatively planning Anne Hillerman’s Rock with Wings https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22934457-rock-with-wings?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=MpRfMcffex&rank=1 because it is another series I want to get back to.........If the people new to BaW haven’t caught on I like book series in order!

Hillerman's book looks really good.  From what I remember, I didn't like Rock Chick all that much. Her Colorado Mountain series was better.  Didn't kill as many brain cells. 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@aggieamy I forgot to comment on your Frank Abbott (sp?) question:

I listened right to The Girl in the Cellar, last Miss Silver, and nothing doing ..... another inspector has 'success' but in the books I've read, Frank doesn't.... not even a repeat mention of a previous situation.

@mumto2 an osteo was very successful in helping to lift a headache that was similar to yours. (Hug) hope it lifts soon... headaches hinder reading !!

• Like 3