Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW47: Bookish News and Not So Bookish Birthdays

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week forty-seven in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews.

Sweet Sixty

If sixty is the new forty
Then forty is the new twenty
And twenty is...slightly young.
Which would make sixty middle aged.

If sixty is middle aged,
Then eighty is getting up there,
And a hundred is...slightly old.
The point is, sixty is now here.

Sixty is here, and that's that.
No different from fifty-nine or sixty-one.
Except it's sweet. Sweet and good.
And I wouldn't change it, even if I could.

I figured it was time for another round of Bookish Birthdays and News since I'm joining the ranks of the sixty something club this week. A milestone, not a millstone, and totally in tune with 60 Perfect Reasons You Should Be Psyched About Turning 60. No matter what age you are, it's always an opportunity to celebrate. Let's celebrate with a mini challenge this week and read a book which takes place in the year you were born or was written in the year you were born. 

Take a look at the 
New York Times Adult Hardcover Best Seller Listings which is an awesome resource. Since this has been a year of reading mysteries and crime fiction, I picked out Devil's Advocate by Morris West, a new to me author.

Another good resource is Goodreads (What a shock!!!) Search for 'most popular books' along with your ‘birth year’ and see what pops up.

Check out Lit Hub's series of 
A Century of Reading: Ten Books that Defined the decade from the 1910's through the 1990's.

Whether you are feeling up or down, 
46 Hilarious Books Guaranteed to Make You Laugh.

And just because: 
The First Line of Harry Potter and The Last Line of Harry Potter: A Close Reading.

Are you hooked on the new Disney Streaming Service. Me too! Celebrate with
15 Disney Channel Original Movies and Book Pairings.

Did you know November 17th is Homemade Bread day, November 20th is Absurdity Day, and November 21st is 
World Hello Day? Now you do!

Little known facts: Actor Danny De Vito and Saturday Night Live's producer, Lorne Michael were born November 17, 1944.

November 18 is Mickey Mouse's birthday as well as Margaret Atwood.

Larry King, Dick Cavett, and Ted Turner were all born on November 19th. Not in the same year, of course.

November 20, 1939 is Dick Smothers Birthday, the favorite smothers brother from Laugh In.

I share my birthday on November 21st with an eclectic group including Voltaire, Harpo Marx, Goldie Hawn and Marlo Thomas. 

November 22nd is the anniversary of George Eliot's birthday, the author who wrote Middlemarch.

November 23rd is the anniversary William "Billy the Kid" Bonney.

And last but not least, a bit of mind filler --- 
November Pop Culture History

Now, see what you can do to turn any of this information into a reading goal and challenge for yourself for next year!

~Cheers~

What are you reading?

Link to week 46

• Like 5

I finally dove back into the world of the Spymasters and reading book #2 in the series - The Forbidden Rose by Joanne Bourne. 

"A glittering French aristocrat is on the run, disguised as a British governess. England's top spy has a score to settle with her family. But as they're drawn inexorably into the intrigue and madness of Revolutionary Paris, they gamble on a love to which neither of them will admit."

Waiting on my virtual nightstand is Devil's Advocate by Morris West which was written in my birth year.  I have a couple chunksters as well but haven't been in the  mood for a super long book. I'd rather start out my year with a chunky book rather than end my year with one.   Plans percolating for next year.  Chunky reads definitely on the list. 

• Like 6

@Nan in Mass  So good to hear from you!    😘   We all love to reread books. In my case, I discover something I missed the first or second or third time round.  Jump in anytime with your thoughts.  Frank Herbert was one of my favorite authors way back when and I don't remember reading Deep Pressure. Looks quite interesting and I'll keep my eyes out for a copy.   

@Junie   I have to agree. Great Expectations was a much more enjoyable read than Oliver Twist which I gave up on.  Scaramouche sounds enjoyable as well.

@Kareni  Hand Lettering sounds interesting. I currently have two coloring books I'm working on while listening to you tube videos with James - In the Garden and Country Charm.  

• Like 5

Dear Robin 😘  wishing you a seriously blessed (!) and a very HAPPY, HAPPY 60th BIRTHDAY this week.   Hoping you get to pause and create a lovely memory making moment with those you love.... and, that your IRL books- to- read pile explodes with new books 🥰

Image result for happy birthday gif

(Thank you so much (!) for creating this wonderful thread for us all ❤️)

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@Nan in Mass  I hope you do post your rereads, the authors you mentioned in last weeks thread have gifted me with a few I've not previously encountered (and others that are definite favourites of my too).

@Junie Scaramouche is one of my enjoyed listens from earlier home schooling years; but then we flat out enjoy The Scarlet Pimpernell too 😉 

Thanks @RootAnn for mentioning America's Bank by Roger Lowenstein.  I've just downloaded the audiobook 

@Kareni   resisting the urge to attempt  'copywork' in your library book  made me laugh!   (Calligraphy is one skill I am hoping to eventually create seriously pleasing results in)

ETA:  @Robin M  the Country Charm colouring book is lovely .... 

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 6

Happy Birthday, Robin!  🎂  How is that for a lame emoticon? Briefly mourning the loss of our fun emojis.

Audiobook:

"Sacred and Profane" by Kellerman. I finally snagged it on Overdrive. I am always 3-4 weeks behind the actual challenge.

Reading

The Ape who Guards the Balance"  - still on that one but have also downloaded "Seeing a Large Cat," both by Peters. Both are re-reads and balm for my soul.  🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've just started reading Pistols for Two ~ Georgette Heyer, which is perfect for me to pick up and put down as it's is a compilation of short stories.  Still chipping away at other titles.

Like @mumto2  mentioned last week I’m (audio) reading to complete this years spelling challenge too.  I can’t find any titles I feel like reading that help me spell ‘Y’ so I may just stop at reading  “Fisher”  this month.

Completed:   (all audiobooks)

Songbird: A Kings Lake Investigation  ~ Peter Grainger, narrated by Gildart Jackson (5)  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3035354903   

Playing with Matches:  Coming of Age in Hitler's Germany ~ Lee Strauss (audio) (3) YA  WWII https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2747422948 

Bodies from the Library: Selected Lost Tales of Mystery and Suspense by Masters of the Golden Age ~ Tony Medawar (3-) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2582758739 

Kim ~ Rudyard Kipling, narrated by Madhav Sharma  (3)  classic  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3033137929 

Monday the Rabbi Took Off:  Rabbi Small, Bk4 ~ Harry Kemelman, narrated by George Guidall  (4)  Repeat listen.  I appreciate that the setting for Rabbi Small and his family is in Israel in this book:  enjoyed, once again.

Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle:  Mrs. Pollifax  Bk8 ~ Dorothy Gilman, narrated by Barbara Rosenblat  (3)   Repeat listen. After having just finished Rudyard Kipling's book, Kim, it was a delight to have it used as a source to solving a mystery, and I could see why a Buddhist priest/teacher (?) would have it as one of his few books

• Like 8

Happy Birthday Robin!! Hope you have a lovely day!

I finished The Hunger by Alma Katsu. I ended up giving it 2 and a half stars. The premise was good but there was too much backstory on too many characters and it just ended up feeling really scattered to me. 

Can't believe we are down to the last 6 weeks of 2019! This year hasn't been a very good reading year for me - I have started and then given up on more books than I have actually finished. I'm hoping next year will be better. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tuesdayschild said:

I've just started reading Pistols for Two ~ Georgette Heyer, which is perfect for me to pick up and put down as it's is a compilation of short stories.  Still chipping away at other titles.

Like @mumto2  mentioned last week I’m (audio) reading to complete this years spelling challenge too.  I can’t find any titles I feel like reading that help me spell ‘Y’ so I may just stop at reading  “Fisher”  this month.

Completed:   (all audiobooks)

Songbird: A Kings Lake Investigation  ~ Peter Grainger, narrated by Gildart Jackson (5)  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3035354903   

Playing with Matches:  Coming of Age in Hitler's Germany ~ Lee Strauss (audio) (3) YA  WWII https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2747422948 

Bodies from the Library: Selected Lost Tales of Mystery and Suspense by Masters of the Golden Age ~ Tony Medawar (3-) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2582758739 

Kim ~ Rudyard Kipling, narrated by Madhav Sharma  (3)  classic  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3033137929 

Monday the Rabbi Took Off:  Rabbi Small, Bk4 ~ Harry Kemelman, narrated by George Guidall  (4)  Repeat listen.  I appreciate that the setting for Rabbi Small and his family is in Israel in this book:  enjoyed, once again.

Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle:  Mrs. Pollifax  Bk8 ~ Dorothy Gilman, narrated by Barbara Rosenblat  (3)   Repeat listen. After having just finished Rudyard Kipling's book, Kim, it was a delight to have it used as a source to solving a mystery, and I could see why a Buddhist priest/teacher (?) would have it as one of his few books

Great books!  I see a couple that are on my list......probably next year’s list at this point.

This is definitely not me saying spell Phryne but Y is(was) hard until I discovered searching my library for books with “you” in the title.  I always get a whole bunch to choose from, mainly romances but I like romances.😉

Speaking of romances I finished one that I had seen on lists in the past today Remedial Rocket Science by susannah Nix was fun and actually pretty non blush worthy in terms of adult content. I like this author and had put the rest of the series on hold.  The bonus is an R for Phryne Fisher and an N for my A to Z author challenge.  

Other finishes last week:  The Bird Tribunal for my Nordic Noir was different, suspenseful but not the typical detective book I associate with the genre.  A failed news presenter accepts a job in a remote area as a housekeeper for a reclusive man..........written oddly with no quotation marks, all in the first person.  It’s short and sort of additive.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29501521-the-bird-tribunal

Now for my I in Fisher and the Q in the A to Z title challenge😂 The Quiet Game by Greg Iles https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44472783-the-quiet-game is the first in a long running Grisham type thriller series that I can’t believe I never read.  I do think I tried a later book in the series and set it aside because I felt I needed to start at the start.  I had this one marked and think @Æthelthryth the Texan Recommended these at some point.  The first 100 pages were a bit slow but after that it was great, as in I can’t wait to finish the series.  Lots of action and suspense(lots of hold’s too).....may I say one of the clues to solving the entire mystery just left me shocked.....l was so wrong and the author happily led me down the path and I followed.   

Currently listening to Christie’s Murder in Mesopotamia and about to start Murder Cuts the Mustard by Jessica Elliott.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robin M said:

I finally dove back into the world of the Spymasters and reading book #2 in the series - The Forbidden Rose by Joanne Bourne. 

That is such a fine series. Enjoy!

4 hours ago, Nan in Mass said:

Lol... I reread because rereading allows me to choose the world I want to escape into. This is also why my house is overrun with books. A few of the many authors, picked at random, that I consistently have reread for years now are Patricia McKillip, Ngaio Marsh, Terry Pratchett, Angela Thirkel, A A Milne, P G Wodehouse, Georgette Heyer, and Kenneth Graham. 

I like your statement, Nan, "rereading allows me to choose the world I want to escape into." Some of my reread books contain rather dark worlds or events, so I'd say that I reread for what I know is a guaranteed good story.

1 hour ago, Mothersweets said:

Can't believe we are down to the last 6 weeks of 2019!

Sshhhh! I don't think I'm ready to face that fact.

1 hour ago, Mothersweets said:

This year hasn't been a very good reading year for me - I have started and then given up on more books than I have actually finished. I'm hoping next year will be better. 

Sending good thoughts that 2020 will be good for all of us in our reading and overall.

Happy birthday, Robin! I hope that something like this is in your near future.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I recently finished Nightchaser by Amanda Bouchet which I enjoyed; I'd describe it as a science fiction romance that's pretty light on the science fiction. It was entertaining though I initially thought (incorrectly) that a very minor character might prove to be the hero. I'll happily read the next book when it comes out; however, I don't see myself rereading this book anytime soon. (Adult content)

"Tess Bailey: the galaxy's Most Wanted.

Captain Tess Bailey is in deep trouble. She and her crew are on the run, pursued by a tyrant who'll take them dead or alive. Tess's best hope is a tall, dark, and much-too-appealing stranger, Shade Ganavan, who says he can help her. But his motivations are far from clear...

Shade Ganavan: arrogance, charm...and that special something that makes you want to kick him.
With the dreaded Dark Watch closing in, what Tess and Shade don't know about each other might get them killed...unless they can set aside their differences and learn to trust each other before it's too late. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Happy birthday, Robin!

Since I last posted, I've read another YA book (two in one year!) for teaching: André Norton, Shadow Hawk. Probably I would have enjoyed it more at a younger age. 

Later I read The Golden Pot and Other Tales by E. T. A. Hoffmann. Hoffmann's best-known story was "The Nutcracker," but I read it for discussion of "The Sandman" with Middle Girl (and the other stories to gain some familiarity with Hoffmann before discussion). German Romanticism is way, way out of my familiarity zone, so his strange dreamlike "fairy tales" were a new experience for me. According to MG's textbook, Freud was very taken by "The Sandman" and psychoanalyzed the heck out of it.

Now I'm on to Wuthering Heights, of which I am very fond but which I'm reading for MG's English course, not because I thought it was time for a re-read. Honestly I'm thinking I need a 10x10 category for Books I've Read In Order to Discuss With Children.

Probably I won't try the challenge this week, as I've barely time for a book a week these days. But in case it gets me points, books I've read since starting BaW that were published in my birth year are: Charles Portis, True Grit; Philip K. Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?; and Iain Crichton Smith, Consider the Lilies. For bonus credit, books I've read that were published one hundred years before my birth year are: Anthony Trollope, Phineas Finn; Cardinal J. H. Newman, Verses on Various Occasions; and Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Idiot.

Now I have three weeks of threads to catch up on.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday Robin! Yesterday was my dh's 50th. Hope that you have a wonderful birthday week!

I didn't get much reading done last week. I read The Ladybird Book of the Hangover - 2 Stars - This one wasn't as funny as others in the series. It may be because I’m not the intended audience. I’ve loved all the other Ladybird books for adults. Oftentimes when I need a good giggle, I pick one of them from our shelf and laugh to the point of tears. I love that feeling!

9780718183516.jpg

Some more pictures from our time in Sevilla.

8.jpg

10.jpg

14b.jpg

16.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Did I mention that we finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?  That was last Thursday.  Really a great book, maybe a little old for my 12/13yos in some parts but overall great.  I ordered the movie (original) so maybe we can watch it next weekend.

This week, for family audiobooks, I intend to listen to some of the Gospels and maybe Esther.  The immediate purpose is to prop up my kids' AR average, LOL, but it seems like a good idea anyway.  I hope we can do it while doing the final check / repack of the 50 Operation Christmas Child boxes that were assembled at AHG last Friday.  After this school week, I think I will start either another Jane Austen or Wuthering Heights.  (Probably Austen since it is a little easier on the brain.)

Unless ... does anyone have a suggestion for a terrific Christmas-themed audiobook for 8th grade girls??

My personal reading is still Boundaries with Teens.  It is about 1/3 done.  Can't wait to finish and throw it in the garbage - it was one of the books that got flooded a while back.

Still no progress on our read-aloud.  We have been super busy recently, plus I got sick over the weekend ....

• Like 9

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

There (hopefully grin) are 60 candles for you to wish on.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

And 60 hugs for the countless hours of escape, emotional release, connection, joy, learning, and community you have given us all by making a place for us to share our book lives with each other. Those sharings ripple out through the orher people in each of our lives, too. You are making a big impact in a lovely nonjudgemental way. I hope all those ripples eventually work their way around the world back to you to buoy you up when you need it.

Happy Birthday, dear Robin!

Nan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I finished my Agatha Christie challenge today by finishing my tenth AC in my perpetual read through from the list over on 52 books.

Murder in Mesopotamia was not a favorite the first time I read it and it still is not a favorite.  That said it wasn’t a bad mystery.......  from the list below I still would class Why Didn’t They Ask Evans? as my favorite along with Death in the Clouds more because of David Tennant and one of my favorite Dr. Who episodes ever than the book.😉  I will say I listened to as many of these as possible and the narration was well done......Hugh Frazier for most.  Some like Sittaford I had previously disliked are now on my pretty good book list!😂 

Agatha Christie (52 books perpetual challenge) 10x10

1.  The Sittaford Mystery

2.  Peril at End House

3.  The Thirteen Problems

4.  Lord Edgeware Dies

5.  Listerdale Mystery

6.  Why Didn’t They Ask Evans?

7.  Parker Pyne Investigates

8.  The Three Act Tragedy

9.  Death in the Clouds

10.  Murder in Mesopotamia 

• Like 6

I read The Next Pandemic by Ali Khan. Whoo-ee that book needed some editing! Some previous library patron had penciled in the basics. I generally frown on writing in library books, but I can identify with the strong urge to fix spelling errors and minor grammar issues. Now I'm reading SWB's Rethinking School, and I don't imagine I will discover errors like that in the book written by the author of our early grammar program.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 11/17/2019 at 1:44 PM, tuesdayschild said:

Dear Robin 😘  wishing you a seriously blessed (!) and a very HAPPY, HAPPY 60th BIRTHDAY this week.   Hoping you get to pause and create a lovely memory making moment with those you love.... and, that your IRL books- to- read pile explodes with new books 🥰

Image result for happy birthday gif

(Thank you so much (!) for creating this wonderful thread for us all ❤️)

Thank you sweetie!   I get to extend my birthday week to Thanksgiving since my dad and sister and her family are all coming for turkey day.  Always enjoy creating memories and the start of something new.  

On 11/17/2019 at 2:06 PM, Liz CA said:

Happy Birthday, Robin!  🎂  How is that for a lame emoticon? Briefly mourning the loss of our fun emojis.

Thank you so ever much and on the search for fun emojies 

Snoopy Dance GIF - Snoopy Dance Moves GIFs

On 11/17/2019 at 2:50 PM, Mothersweets said:

Happy Birthday Robin!! Hope you have a lovely day!

Thanks and cheers! 

On 11/17/2019 at 3:33 PM, mumto2 said:

Shamelessly quoting the emoji!

Happy Birthday Robin! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Thank you, dearheart! 

On 11/17/2019 at 4:23 PM, Kareni said:

Happy birthday, Robin! I hope that something like this is in your near future.

Regards,

Kareni

Yum, yum, yum.  

Snoopy Cheers GIF - Snoopy Cheers Woodstuck GIFs

On 11/17/2019 at 8:27 PM, Violet Crown said:

Happy birthday, Robin!

Thank you and yes, you do get lots of virtual points for all the books you've read. 

On 11/18/2019 at 6:00 AM, Negin said:

Happy Birthday Robin! Yesterday was my dh's 50th. Hope that you have a wonderful birthday week!

Happy,Happy bday to your hubby as well.  

On 11/18/2019 at 7:09 AM, SKL said:

Also, happy birthday Robin!  Please tell me that 60 is better than 53, LOL!

Yes, definitely! 

10 hours ago, Nan in Mass said:

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

There (hopefully grin) are 60 candles for you to wish on.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

And 60 hugs for the countless hours of escape, emotional release, connection, joy, learning, and community you have given us all by making a place for us to share our book lives with each other. Those sharings ripple out through the orher people in each of our lives, too. You are making a big impact in a lovely nonjudgemental way. I hope all those ripples eventually work their way around the world back to you to buoy you up when you need it.

Happy Birthday, dear Robin!

Nan

Aw, I'm misty eyed. Thank you so much. 

Image result for snoopy emojis

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Thank you @Kareni for all the links and @Negin for the wonderful pictures.  I'm imagining walking through the gates of that courtyard right now.  

@mumto2  Woot! Good job on the Agatha Christie.  I have a couple more in my stacks but don't know if I'll get to them this year.  

@Mothersweets  Hugs, cheers to next year and enjoying more books. 

@tuesdayschild  Did you find any books with "Y" that you like yet.  Mum had a great suggestion, anything with you in the title.  I'm fascinated by all the audio books you've completed.  James and I have been listening to the same book for a couple months now. 

@SKL Hope you are feeling better. The flu this year has been hanging on for a long time 

@Junie Yeah, will find you on goodreads.  Mum's quite organized when it comes to Goodreads. I keep falling off the wagon and forgetting to update.

@SusanC  That's funny. Wonder if anyone ever mentioned it to the author. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:15 AM, Junie said:

I almost forgot to tell y'all that I finally set up a goodreads account to keep track of my reading.  🙂 I'm still working on getting it set up the way I want it.  If any of you have tips that you've discovered I would love to hear them.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/104874656-ms-martian

Goodreads.......I love Goodreads.  At first I kept my book journal up too but now do a lot of my organizing via Goodreads and the shelves........the most important thing is your shelves.  I seem to need more shelves each year as I set up the challenges I do by shelf.  I would start by making my fifth set shelf an Abandoned book one.  You will end up with every book being Read, Want to Read, Currently Reading, Abandoned, or Unread.  Abandoned is very useful years down the road.  Some people term it as read another time but I like the Abandoned term.

Since I believe you still have young children I would make shelves for each child and what you read, or plan to with each.  I had those at one time.  One book can be shelved in many places.  

I just sent a friend request so you will be easily able to look at all my shelves.😉 I have a massive one from the Brit Tripping challenge where books can be sorted by county that I put together with @aggieamy a couple of years ago.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Goodreads.......I love Goodreads.  At first I kept my book journal up too but now do a lot of my organizing via Goodreads and the shelves........the most important thing is your shelves.  I seem to need more shelves each year as I set up the challenges I do by shelf.  I would start by making my fifth set shelf an Abandoned book one.  You will end up with every book being Read, Want to Read, Currently Reading, Abandoned, or Unread.  Abandoned is very useful years down the road.  Some people term it as read another time but I like the Abandoned term.

Since I believe you still have young children I would make shelves for each child and what you read, or plan to with each.  I had those at one time.  One book can be shelved in many places.  

I just sent a friend request so you will be easily able to look at all my shelves.😉 I have a massive one from the Brit Tripping challenge where books can be sorted by county that I put together with @aggieamy a couple of years ago.

Thank you so much!!

The Abandoned Shelf is a great idea.

I don't have shelves for each kid, but I do have shelves for some of my high school classes: American Lit, British Lit, World Lit, Children's Lit for High Schoolers.  I need to create a shelf for Fairy Tales, Myths, & Legends.

I like that you have so many different shelves.  Now my mind is going to be busy thinking about what other shelves I might want.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Junie said:

Thank you so much!!

The Abandoned Shelf is a great idea.

I don't have shelves for each kid, but I do have shelves for some of my high school classes: American Lit, British Lit, World Lit, Children's Lit for High Schoolers.  I need to create a shelf for Fairy Tales, Myths, & Legends.

I like that you have so many different shelves.  Now my mind is going to be busy thinking about what other shelves I might want.

Glad to be helpful.  Also things became mush easier when I started separating the shelves into years, so 2019 Brit Tripping as opposed to 2018 Brit Tripping.  It means I can find things quickly.  Labeling by year doesn’t have to be done because of the sorting abilities you have in each shelf bu I like to.  Also I like to use the recommender spot on the review for the setting of the book.......I show that in my columns and can see New York etc.  I am planning to use it for my end of the year summary and hopefully should be able to put my numbers together quickly.

• Like 4

Belated Birthday Wishes, Robin! 

Thank you all for my birthday wishes a few weeks ago. I do browse the threads and keep meaning to post but I'm still staying busy with the house. We currently have no master bathroom. The handyman and his helpers started Monday tearing it apart to renovate it. It's the only room we're truly renovating before putting the house on the market and that's because we have no choice. We started it as a diy project but never finished. Now with a time crunch we don't have the luxury of doing it ourselves. The rest of the stuff to be done here is cosmetic - a few fixes here and there and a coat or two of a neutral paint color throughout the house. We decided where we want to buy. It's a new development of duplexes and quadplexes (they call them multiplexes) and the model we chose is one of the duplexes. I was surprised Bill wants this because he's always been the type who wants space between him and his neighbors. He likes that they do all the maintenance and yard work though. Anyway, if there isn't a spec unit for us to buy we'll have to contract one and rent a place until it's built. I can hardly wait until we're closer to dss, ddil, and our sweet grandbabies (including the lovely Emma). 

In trying to clear 20 years of clutter plus stuff my my mother, Bill's parents and two of his grandmothers, I haven't been able to get much reading done. At the end of the day I just sit for a bit but my reading time has always been during the day with a few minutes before bedtime. I've been able to listen to a number of audio books while I work. 

I don't remember when my last update was so in order to avoid repeating myself I'll just post some of my recent books. You can see the big difference between audio books and written books. If you're my friends on Goodreads I do try to keep my list updated there.

I've listened to quite a few audio books -

How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States

The Matriarch: Barbara Bush and the Making of an American Dynasty

The Last Detective, Peter Diamond #1 - not to be confused with the tv series The Last Detective starring Peter Davidson. They're two very different characters.

Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher - non-fiction about a 19th century murder in England that started the British general obsession with murder and detectives. It supposedly inspired Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone. 

Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist - The character Agatha annoys me and I don't think I could read the books. For some reason I can listen to them though. It probably doesn't hurt that Penelope Keith is the narrator. 

Kindle -

I finally finished The Everglades: River of Grass. I didn't really learn anything because much of what she wrote is well known to long time Floridians, but I'm glad I read it. I can understand why it made such an impact back when it was published. 

Bluebird, Bluebird, Highway 59 #1 - a Texas Ranger thriller. I will be reading the next one and hope she'll write more. There are only two so far.

Paper Moon, an Inspector Montalbano mystery.

I read The Testaments for book club and we had our meeting last week. Most all of us felt the same way about it. I thought it was predictable and cliched yet I had to keep reading to find out what happened. I think some of the problem with this book is that it was written partly in response to people asking what happened after The Handmaid's Tale. Atwood admits this in the acknowledgements. I also think it didn't help that she wrote it while the Hulu series was running. It seems to me she wrote a book she thought Handmaid's Tale fans wanted to read instead of a book she wanted to write. 

I'm in a reading funk currently. I have plenty of books available but none are holding my interest. It isn't that I'm not in the mood to read. I'm always in the mood to read. I just can't always find a book to match my reading mood, and that's the situation now. I started The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (Kindle edition) and this one might keep my interest.

I'm listening to the next Agatha Raisin, which came in from a hold just as I was finishing the other one yesterday. Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death

@Negin I've been enjoying your photos.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

On 11/18/2019 at 4:46 PM, Laurel-in-CA said:

Negin -- I'm loving your pictures of Sevilla. My brother has lived in a small village near Malaga (also Andalucia) for some years and your pictures take me right back to our 25th anniversary visit to Spain!

Thank you, Laurel. What a lovely anniversary you had! Also, how lovely that your brother got to experience living there. 

• Like 5

My book group is meeting tomorrow to discuss Lincoln in the Bardo: A Novel by George Saunders. It was an unusual book, and I expect the conversation will be lively. (Which seems counterintuitive since the majority of the book deals with death.)  I searched and see that several here have read this. I found the book easy to read yet poignant; I'd recommend it.

"February 1862. The Civil War is less than one year old. The fighting has begun in earnest, and the nation has begun to realize it is in for a long, bloody struggle. Meanwhile, President Lincoln’s beloved eleven-year-old son, Willie, lies upstairs in the White House, gravely ill. In a matter of days, despite predictions of a recovery, Willie dies and is laid to rest in a Georgetown cemetery. “My poor boy, he was too good for this earth,” the president says at the time. “God has called him home.” Newspapers report that a grief-stricken Lincoln returns, alone, to the crypt several times to hold his boy’s body.

From that seed of historical truth, George Saunders spins an unforgettable story of familial love and loss that breaks free of its realistic, historical framework into a supernatural realm both hilarious and terrifying. Willie Lincoln finds himself in a strange purgatory where ghosts mingle, gripe, commiserate, quarrel, and enact bizarre acts of penance. Within this transitional state—called, in the Tibetan tradition, the bardo—a monumental struggle erupts over young Willie’s soul.

Lincoln in the Bardo is an astonishing feat of imagination and a bold step forward from one of the most important and influential writers of his generation. Formally daring, generous in spirit, deeply concerned with matters of the heart, it is a testament to fiction’s ability to speak honestly and powerfully to the things that really matter to us. Saunders has invented a thrilling new form that deploys a kaleidoscopic, theatrical panorama of voices to ask a timeless, profound question: How do we live and love when we know that everything we love must end? "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

@Lady Florida. That was a great update filled with news! So glad you are getting ready to move nearer to the grand babies.....I have been seeing the multiplexes appearing all over the area.  From the outside really attractive and no lawn care is such a bonus!  Keep us updated on the move......

I finished a book by a favorite classic mystery writer, Dorothy Hughes, who was prolific in the 40’s and 50’s.  Her The Expendable Man was a favorite when I read it several years ago and I always read her books when I find then.  The So Blue Marble was just sitting on my library’s shelf in it’s rereleased perfection last week so I checked it out.  It was a page turner that was often a bit over the top.  Totally enjoyed it.  The opening scene has a woman walking home in NYC very late at night.  Two men join her on the side walk and escort/force her into her apartment and ask her to give them the so blue marble........... I was hooked even though I still do not get the attraction of that little blue ball!  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/579827.The_So_Blue_Marble

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

My book group is meeting tomorrow to discuss Lincoln in the Bardo: A Novel by George Saunders. It was an unusual book, and I expect the conversation will be lively. (Which seems counterintuitive since the majority of the book deals with death.)  I searched and see that several here have read this. I found the book easy to read yet poignant; I'd recommend it.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, I read it! I really enjoyed all the different voices and found the story moving. And lol at the bolded 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

Yes, I read it [Lincoln in the Bardo]! I really enjoyed all the different voices and found the story moving. And lol at the bolded 🙂

I found this in depth author interview that you might enjoy:

Powell's Interview: George Saunders, Author of 'Lincoln in the Bardo'  by Jill Owens 

And, just to make you laugh, when I was adding Lincoln in the Bardo to your quote above, the autocorrect had Munchkin in the Bardo!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I was just about to walk out the door to run a few errands when this arrived.  The errands were forgotten while I sat there, speechless and misty eyed just looking at it for a long time.  

Thank you, @mumto2  I'm feeling quite blessed and appreciate all the time, friendship, and love that went into my birthday quilt.  She timed it perfectly to arrive on the day of my bday.

😘😘😘

birthday quilt from sandy (2).jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

I was just about to walk out the door to run a few errands when this arrived.  The errands were forgotten while I sat there, speechless and misty eyed just looking at it for a long time.  

Thank you, @mumto2  I'm feeling quite blessed and appreciate all the time, friendship, and love that went into my birthday quilt.  She timed it perfectly to arrive on the day of my bday.

😘😘😘

Oh, it's lovely!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

😘😘😘

Wow! Beautiful work mum!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Robin M said:

😘😘😘

What a beautiful gift. Mumto2, that's just gorgeous!

• Like 4