Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW48: Ode to the Orange Gourd

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week forty-eight in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share your book reviews. 

Ode to the Orange Gourd

by

K.J. Force

Ode to the Orange Gourd
It’s that time of year again...
When family and friends gather together..
To share and give thanks for all that they treasure..
The young and the old, the tall and the small…
The Vegans and the Carnivores, come one come all...
There are dishes of tradition, like Turkey and stuffing…
Mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry muffins…
Green Bean casserole, and corn soufflé...
Are just some of the dishes of the day....
And of course a relish tray to take off the edge...
With that awesome Spinach dip in Pumpernickel bread...
So many desserts at this time of year...
But the favorite of all, synonymous of the Fall…
Is that Jack’O ‘Lantern, orange Gourd....
known as Pumpkin Pie...
As the children play a game of touch football...
Something that is 24-7 on this day in Fall…
As Grandpa sits in the afternoon sun...
Remembering back ...when he was young...
Then the words of “Let’s eat” fills the air...
And everyone sits down in their chair…
Who wants the first slice? Dark meat or White?
Grandpa asks...then proceeds to take the first bite…
Everyone fills their plate, till it can’t hold no more...
Yet some go back, for more and more....
Finally everyone is full...can’t eat another bite...
Till the smell of fresh coffee brings on a plight...
Aahh dessert ..and the best part of all....
“PUMPKIN PIE!!!!”....It appears was a "Majority Call"…
This is “my” favorite time of the year....
When you mention "MY" name, everyone gives a cheer!!!
So without further adieu ...Grandpa picks up the knife...
As I am the “MAJORITY CALL” and receive the first slice....

~~~Happy Thanksgiving~~~

We have five and half weeks left in the year.   Time to brainstorm for 2020!   Do you have any ideas for our annual spelling challenge?   More fictional detectives, historical, romantic,  or favorite characters, real or fictional artists, literary pets, or fictional countries?  Do you want to do another round of bingo?  More 10 x 10?   

Link to week 47

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just finished Rebecca Roanhorse's Trail of Lightning which I thoroughly enjoyed.  

"While most of the world has drowned beneath the sudden rising waters of a climate apocalypse, Dinétah (formerly the Navajo reservation) has been reborn. The gods and heroes of legend walk the land, but so do monsters.     Maggie Hoskie is a Dinétah monster hunter, a supernaturally gifted killer. When a small town needs help finding a missing girl, Maggie is their last—and best—hope. But what Maggie uncovers about the monster is much larger and more terrifying than anything she could imagine.

Maggie reluctantly enlists the aid of Kai Arviso, an unconventional medicine man, and together they travel to the rez to unravel clues from ancient legends, trade favors with tricksters, and battle dark witchcraft in a patchwork world of deteriorating technology.    As Maggie discovers the truth behind the disappearances, she will have to confront her past—if she wants to survive."

Added a few books to my stacks this week:  Louise Penny's A Better Man, Genevieve Cogman's  The Burning Page (#3 in the Invisible Library series),  The 52 Lists Project: A Year of Weekly Journaling Inspiration, and a quilting book Brilliant Little Patchwork Cushions and Pillows  which hubby found at new store which opened up on his walking route - Quilter's Corner.  

Currently reading Joanna Bourne's The Black Hawk, # 4 in her spymaster series.

• Like 5

Howdy.  I just ordered several audiobooks, though we haven't started any yet. 

• The New Testament (KJV) read by James Earl Jones;
  • The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (Agatha Christie);
  • A Child's Christmas in Wales and Five Poems by Dylan Thomas;
  • Letters from Father Christmas from JRR Tolkein.

I hope these are good to enjoy with my kids this season.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Robin M said:

I just finished Rebecca Roanhorse's Trail of Lightning which I thoroughly enjoyed.  

"While most of the world has drowned beneath the sudden rising waters of a climate apocalypse, Dinétah (formerly the Navajo reservation) has been reborn. The gods and heroes of legend walk the land, but so do monsters.     Maggie Hoskie is a Dinétah monster hunter, a supernaturally gifted killer. When a small town needs help finding a missing girl, Maggie is their last—and best—hope. But what Maggie uncovers about the monster is much larger and more terrifying than anything she could imagine.

Maggie reluctantly enlists the aid of Kai Arviso, an unconventional medicine man, and together they travel to the rez to unravel clues from ancient legends, trade favors with tricksters, and battle dark witchcraft in a patchwork world of deteriorating technology.    As Maggie discovers the truth behind the disappearances, she will have to confront her past—if she wants to survive."

Added a few books to my stacks this week:  Louise Penny's A Better Man, Genevieve Cogman's  The Burning Page (#3 in the Invisible Library series),  The 52 Lists Project: A Year of Weekly Journaling Inspiration, and a quilting book Brilliant Little Patchwork Cushions and Pillows  which hubby found at new store which opened up on his walking route - Quilter's Corner.  

Currently reading Joanna Bourne's The Black Hawk, # 4 in her spymaster series.

I really liked both of Rebecca Roanhouse’s books in that series!   Are the new books all part of your birthday loot?  

A couple of recent finishes:

Strands of Truth by Colleen Coble https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42757881-strands-of-truth. I have never read one of her books and someone here mentioned being a fan.  This was a great book in the  Christian Romantic Suspense genre and I plan to read more.  This book had some scientific things going on in the background which gave me pause,  it definitely convinced me that I will never participate in genetic testing for genealogy purposes.  It kept me up very late.....

Then the next night I started reading Sharon Sala’s I’ll Stand By You https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24866366-i-ll-stand-by-youat bedtime, another late night!  This one was funny and sweet all mixed together.  I find this series when searching for a Y and already have the third in the series checked out.

Finally, Tess Garrison’s latest. The Shape of the Night  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43892586-the-shape-of-night which I thought was going to be sort of a suspenseful nod to The Ghost and Mrs Muir........not at all.  As close to horror as I get and finish with some pretty explicit adult scenes thrown in at about 50%,  I only kept going because of a need to learn the ending.  I will say it was suspenseful!

Currently reading the ARC for Nora Robert's The Rise of Magicks thanks to @Robin Mand @Kareni. It’s good,  let me know if you want it next.  Also reading the recently released Janet Evanovich Twisted Twenty Six which I am also loving.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Robin M said:

~~~Happy Thanksgiving~~~

We have five and half weeks left in the year.   Time to brainstorm for 2020!   Do you have any ideas for our annual spelling challenge?   More fictional detectives, historical, romantic,  or favorite characters, real or fictional artists, literary pets, or fictional countries?  Do you want to do another round of bingo?  More 10 x 10?   

Link to week 47

Hopefully others will chime in...........

This year’s detectives have been my favorite of the spelling challenges in terms of reading a book with the detective in it as well as spelling the name.  I have a whole lot of new to me series that I need to go back and read the rest of so in terms of my tastes and interests it would be hard to do a better job.  Favorite characters might be fun.  Obviously I like historical books and historical detectives........and I like romances.  Literary pets would be fun but sort of suspect it might be just fun for me 😉.......the reality is I just like the spelling challenges.  I am no help at all.

I am pro 10x10 or something very similar.  Those have been great for me.  A good way to organize my interests and making me stick to the goals.

Bingo........I am getting close.  No sure who else is playing.  If you do it again count me in..............

Actually when I finish The Rise of Magicks I will have completed 10 from your Sound of Silence Challenge for this year.  My 10 chain is close to done too.

• Like 4

Hello! Last week I finished listening to The Miser of Mayfair by Marion Chesney (M.C. Beaton). Fluffy, quick listen that is the beginning of a series. I really liked an earlier series of hers that I listened to last year - Poor Relation series - so hopefully I'll like these, too. This first one of the Miser series had a few elements that I didn't care for but it was published in 1980 before we were all enlightened, lol.

• Like 5

I've finished a couple of books recently ~

The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez which I enjoyed even though it did make me cry. (Adult content)

"Kristen Peterson doesn't do drama, will fight to the death for her friends, and has no room in her life for guys who just don't get her. She's also keeping a big secret: facing a medically necessary procedure that will make it impossible for her to have children.
Planning her best friend's wedding is bittersweet for Kristen -- especially when she meets the best man, Josh Copeland. He's funny, sexy, never offended by her mile-wide streak of sarcasm, and always one chicken enchilada ahead of her hangry. Even her dog, Stuntman Mike, adores him. The only catch: Josh wants a big family someday. Kristen knows he'd be better off with someone else, but as their attraction grows, it's harder and harder to keep him at arm's length.
The Friend Zone will have you laughing one moment and grabbing for tissues the next as it tackles the realities of infertility and loss with wit, heart, and a lot of sass."

I also read and enjoyed Wolf's Clothing (Legend Tripping Book 2) by E.J. Russell even though I had not read the first book in the series. (Adult content)

"What do you do when you finally prove the existence of the otherworld, but the ghosts kick your ass?

For Trent Pielmeyer, the answer is run like hell — away from his hostile family, away from the disbelieving cops, and far, far, far away from anything that smacks of the supernatural. After seven years’ captivity in a whacked-out alternate dimension, he is so over legend tripping.

When Christophe Clavret spots Trent in a Portland bar, he detects a kindred spirit — another man attempting to outrun the darkness of his own soul. But despite their sizzling chemistry, Trent’s hatred of the uncanny makes Christophe hesitant to confide the truth: he’s a werewolf, one of a dwindling line, the victim of a genetic curse extending back to feudal Europe.

But dark forces are at work, threatening more than their growing love. If Christophe can’t win Trent’s trust, and if Trent can’t overcome his fear of the paranormal, the cost could be Trent’s freedom and Christophe’s humanity. Or it might be both their lives."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I read The Lords of Discipline - 5 Stars - My favorite read of the year! Pat Conroy wrote beautifully. I’ve read a few of his books and have loved them all so far. This one is probably my favorite, or at least a close tie with Beach Music.

This is the story of a cadet at the Carolina Military Institute in Charleston during the turbulent 1960s. It’s based on Conroy’s own experiences at The Citadel.

I read that when Conroy first published this book, his alma mater shunned him for thirty years. While reading this, I couldn’t help but wonder how much of the story is based on fact. Just to prove how great of a writer he was, military stuff would normally not interest me one bit. This book had me hooked!

The friendship between the protagonist, Will, and his three roommates is just lovely. Parts of the story are truly painful and raw at times, especially all the awful and monstrous freshman hazing rituals. Those descriptions are not for the faint of heart. They’re intense and gruesome. After all that, the story is incredibly powerful and moving.

Conroy’s rich descriptions of Charleston make me want to visit there more than ever before. 

“Though I will always be a visitor to Charleston, I will always remain one with a passionate belief that it is the most beautiful city in America and that to walk the old section of the city at night is to step into the bloodstream of a history extravagantly lived by a people born to a fierce and unshakable advocacy of their past. To walk in the spire-proud shade of Church Street is to experience the chronicle of a mythology that is particular to this city and this city alone, a trinitarian mythology with equal parts of the sublime, the mysterious, and the grotesque.”

“No city could be more beautiful than Charleston during the brief reign of azaleas, no city on earth.”

I’m sad that I finished this book and can’t stop thinking of all the characters. They seemed so real. As with most fabulous books, whatever I read next will likely pale in comparison.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Honor is the presence of God in man.”

“… the world needs more roses far more than it needs more basketball players.”

“Young girls have an infinite capacity for being attracted to the wrong sort of men.”

9780553381566.jpg

Some pictures from Sevilla. We visited where part of Game of Thrones was filmed. My dh and dd loved that. I'm not a GOT fan, so I just enjoyed the place. We also went to a fabulous flamenco show. 

16b.jpg

20a.jpg

35.jpg

41c.jpg

• Like 7

I finished several little books this week, courtesy of gaining the other adult around here who’s been absent for 6 weeks.

so I was in Scotland and read The Prime of Miss Jean Broadie ( whispers...a bit overrated?) and Jekyll and Hyde (❤️) and at the hotel library they had Ethan Frome which I read in a day and oh I need more like this. I haven’t loved a book this much in a long time. I mean I had read Age of Innocence but I didn’t even know this existed. I’m 100 years behind anyway. 

• Like 8

18 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Hopefully others will chime in...........

This year’s detectives have been my favorite of the spelling challenges in terms of reading a book with the detective in it as well as spelling the name.  I have a whole lot of new to me series that I need to go back and read the rest of so in terms of my tastes and interests it would be hard to do a better job.  Favorite characters might be fun.  Obviously I like historical books and historical detectives........and I like romances.  Literary pets would be fun but sort of suspect it might be just fun for me 😉.......the reality is I just like the spelling challenges.  I am no help at all.

I am pro 10x10 or something very similar.  Those have been great for me.  A good way to organize my interests and making me stick to the goals.

Bingo........I am getting close.  No sure who else is playing.  If you do it again count me in..............

Actually when I finish The Rise of Magicks I will have completed 10 from your Sound of Silence Challenge for this year.  My 10 chain is close to done too.

Woot woot on the Sound of Silence challenge. I'm halfway there if I don't count entire series with the theme as one.  The 10 x 10 is definitely a keeper since everyone enjoys it so much.  Or since we're going into the year 2020, could possibly do variations such as 2 x 10 or 4 x 5 or 5 x 4. 

Glad to hear you are close on the Bingo.  I think @Quill  @Matryoshka and/or Æthelthryth were all doing bingo too  but they haven't checked in lately.     

I'll have time this weekend to work up some ideas since we are closing Thursday through Sunday for Thanksgiving.  

• Like 4

@SKL   I can just imagine listening to James Earl Jones read the New Testament.  I love his voice.

@mumto2  Yep, all the new books were birthday loot and reading A Better Man now.    Plus I gave myself a couple birthday books for myself as well - A Year of Writing Dangerously: 365 Days of Inspiration and Encouragement and Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft.    I enjoyed Tess Gerritson's Rizzoli and Isle series. Will check out The Shape of Night.

@Mothersweets  I haven't read anything by Beaton yet. Someone to add to my reading list for next year to check out.

@Kareni Thank you for the book links and I'll have to check out  The Friend Zone

@Negin  Awesome pictures.  Love being an armchair traveler through your adventures.

@madteaparty  Glad you are getting a chance to read more. How long were you in Scotland!?   Jekyll and Hyde was a delightful surprise for me just as much as Frankenstein was.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Glad you are getting a chance to read more. How long were you in Scotland!?   Jekyll and Hyde was a delightful surprise for me just as much as Frankenstein was.  

Just a little over a week. Yes I think I’m in a Frankenstein re-read mood now. Are those writing books you posted getting any good? I am half way through a craft one (but it’s at home) DS’s tutor mentioned but those sound good as well.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Robin M said:

@SKL   I can just imagine listening to James Earl Jones read the New Testament.  I love his voice.

@mumto2  Yep, all the new books were birthday loot and reading A Better Man now.    Plus I gave myself a couple birthday books for myself as well - A Year of Writing Dangerously: 365 Days of Inspiration and Encouragement and Revising Your Novel: First Draft to Finished Draft.    I enjoyed Tess Gerritson's Rizzoli and Isle series. Will check out The Shape of Night.

@Mothersweets  I haven't read anything by Beaton yet. Someone to add to my reading list for next year to check out.

@Kareni Thank you for the book links and I'll have to check out  The Friend Zone

@Negin  Awesome pictures.  Love being an armchair traveler through your adventures.

@madteaparty  Glad you are getting a chance to read more. How long were you in Scotland!?   Jekyll and Hyde was a delightful surprise for me just as much as Frankenstein was.  

:nodding in agreement:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Woot woot on the Sound of Silence challenge. I'm halfway there if I don't count entire series with the theme as one.  The 10 x 10 is definitely a keeper since everyone enjoys it so much.  Or since we're going into the year 2020, could possibly do variations such as 2 x 10 or 4 x 5 or 5 x 4. 

Glad to hear you are close on the Bingo.  I think @Quill  @Matryoshka and/or Æthelthryth were all doing bingo too  but they haven't checked in lately.     

I'll have time this weekend to work up some ideas since we are closing Thursday through Sunday for Thanksgiving.  

Yes, I have been doing a Bingo, but I made the categories myself. Also, this will be the first year I met/exceeded my goal of a book a week. I am currently at 51 books for this year and have been 4-8 ahead of schedule through most of this year. 

Here is my Bingo sheet:

BBB9F87B-010B-419B-B14E-DE7CDBBD5015.jpeg

• Like 7

Looking forward to coming back and link hopping.  Posting then dashing:  preparing for back to back house viewings (not sure what the American speak for that is?) is keeping me busy - lots of time for audios though.

@Robin M  ( I typed this up last week....   you asked for thoughts on next years reading challenges. 

1.  I enjoy the spelling  challenges  (well, I would enjoy them more if authors would just include words that start with ‘e’ and ‘y’ in every book title :p).  I enjoyed this years theme and read along with many of the author suggestion.  Anything is fine with me as I'll just use it as a spelling base.
  2. 10x10 has made me read outside my usual parameters, fun for this year, not sure I could maintain the reading/listening pace to do another one next year though. 
  3.  Perhaps....  a few buddy reads during the year?  
  4.  52 in 52, of course.  (I’d like to try to  "read" that many printed books during the year.)

(Thanks @mumto2 for your suggestion,  I have now completed Novembers spelling challenge.   (I had tried all the “y’ words for a library download – then saw your ‘you” suggestion and decided why not pull a 2020 audible read forward since it had “you” in it.))

Sorry for reposting the FISHER part again....

P=  The Good Pilot, Peter Woodhouse ~ Alexander McCall Smith, narrated by Rupert Degas (3)

H=  Playing with Matches:  Coming of Age in Hitler's Germany ~ Lee Strauss (audio) (3)

R=  Monday the Rabbi Took Off:  Rabbi Small, Bk4 ~ Harry Kemelman, narrated by George Guidall (4)

Y=  Madam, Will You Talk? ~ Mary Stewart, narrated by Emilia Fox (3+)

N=  Enter a Murder: Roderick Alleyn Bk2 ~ Ngaio Marsh, narrated by James Saxon (3+)

E= The English Spy ~ Daniel Silva, narrated by George Guidall  ()

F= Bodies from the Library: Selected Lost Tales of Mystery and Suspense by Masters of the Golden Age ~ Tony Medawar (3- )

I=  Some Danger Involved: Barker & Llewelyn Bk1 ~ Will Thomas , narrated by Antony Ferguson (4-)    

S=  Songbird: A Kings Lake Investigation  ~ Peter Grainger, narrated by Gildart Jackson (5)

H=  The Spanish Bride ~ Georgette Heyer  (499pgs) (5-) 

E=  The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle ~ Stuart Turton  (519pgs) Chunkster (3.5)   new author 

R=  Kim ~ Rudyard Kipling, narrated by Madhav Sharma (3)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Just a little over a week. Yes I think I’m in a Frankenstein re-read mood now. Are those writing books you posted getting any good? I am half way through a craft one (but it’s at home) DS’s tutor mentioned but those sound good as well.

I hope they are.  I have so many on my shelves already but once I've read and worked through them,  I want something new to use.  Along with the 52 lists project, I needed inspiration to get me back in the writing mood after months of no writing.  All the excerpts online are promising. I'll let you know after I'd had a chance to work through them a bit.    

3 hours ago, Quill said:

Yes, I have been doing a Bingo, but I made the categories myself. Also, this will be the first year I met/exceeded my goal of a book a week. I am currently at 51 books for this year and have been 4-8 ahead of schedule through most of this year. 

Here is my Bingo sheet:

BBB9F87B-010B-419B-B14E-DE7CDBBD5015.jpeg

Woot Woot! Happy you are having a good reading year.  Love your bingo categories.   James and I read The Long Walk to Water too which was quite good. 

1 hour ago, tuesdayschild said:

Looking forward to coming back and link hopping.  Posting then dashing:  preparing for back to back house viewings (not sure what the American speak for that is?) is keeping me busy - lots of time for audios though.

@Robin M  ( I typed this up last week....   you asked for thoughts on next years reading challenges. 

1.  I enjoy the spelling  challenges  (well, I would enjoy them more if authors would just include words that start with ‘e’ and ‘y’ in every book title :p).  I enjoyed this years theme and read along with many of the author suggestion.  Anything is fine with me as I'll just use it as a spelling base.
  2. 10x10 has made me read outside my usual parameters, fun for this year, not sure I could maintain the reading/listening pace to do another one next year though. 
  4.  52 in 52, of course.  (I’d like to try to  "read" that many printed books during the year.)

(Thanks @mumto2 for your suggestion,  I have now completed Novembers spelling challenge.   (I had tried all the “y’ words for a library download – then saw your ‘you” suggestion and decided why not pull a 2020 audible read forward since it had “you” in it.))

P=  The Good Pilot, Peter Woodhouse ~ Alexander McCall Smith, narrated by Rupert Degas (3)

H=  Playing with Matches:  Coming of Age in Hitler's Germany ~ Lee Strauss (audio) (3)

R=  Monday the Rabbi Took Off:  Rabbi Small, Bk4 ~ Harry Kemelman, narrated by George Guidall (4)

N=  Enter a Murder: Roderick Alleyn Bk2 ~ Ngaio Marsh, narrated by James Saxon (3+)

F= Bodies from the Library: Selected Lost Tales of Mystery and Suspense by Masters of the Golden Age ~ Tony Medawar (3- )

I=  Some Danger Involved: Barker & Llewelyn Bk1 ~ Will Thomas , narrated by Antony Ferguson (4-)    

S=  Songbird: A Kings Lake Investigation  ~ Peter Grainger, narrated by Gildart Jackson (5)

E=  The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle ~ Stuart Turton  (519pgs) Chunkster (3.5)   new author 

Forgive, I'm behind.  My brain's been in la la land the past few months.  Are you moving or in real estate?  Your house viewings, if you are showing your house or looking at other folk's is referred to  to here as Open House.    Congrats on finishing the November spelling challenge.   Hubby recently pulled Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave  out from the back of the shelves and I've been staring at it every morning.  Time for a reread.   I remember reading Madam will you talk years and years ago.   Great suspense story.  

Do you have any books in mind for buddy read's for next year?   

I think the option of 5 x 4 or visa versa or maybe 2 x 10 may be easier.  I have a couple categories in my 10 x 10 I totally forgot about.  Oops.  Have to rethink a category and make it fit. *grin* 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

House viewings..........I am guessing the system is more like England.  So I will try and explain a bit since I have experienced both.  If I am understanding what Tuesday is saying she is showing her house to prospective purchasers.  Btw, yeah for back to back! 😉 The agent basically does a bit of advertising and coordinates the legalities of the sale like in England but typically does not show a house.  It takes a really long time to get the agent available to show and it simply is not to anyone’s advantage if you are serious.  We have almost always been shown homes by owners there both for purchase or lease.  It’s definitely to the owners advantage to show it themselves.....and yes you might just offer a cuppa. 😉 So it is far more work than tidying the house and going out for an hour.  Do you have gazumping etc in NZ?      https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk/media-centre/articles-sept-dec-2016/gazumping-and-gazundering-explained/   The fees to the real estate agent is much less in England for the US people reading although the legal fees etc add up quickly.   Scotland is more like the US btw.

In the US the seller negotiates the commission with the real estate agent up front when signing the listing paperwork (transactions I have been involved with have generally been 6 % of the final purchase price split between the buying and selling agents and brokers.....the amount can be negotiated a bit).  Still have other costs above commission which are negotiated as part of the price.  It’s rare for the owner of the property to show it in the US.  It’s actually really odd for the buyer and seller to even meet before the close where you very well may meet and actually sign the paperwork sitting around a big table together.  In England the close is the exchange of contracts which the lawyers do, so you never see each other as you exchange.  We simply got a call that it was done and picked up the keys at the agents.

ETA......Different subject, great titles for Phryne Fisher.  I want to reread some Mary Stewart’s next year.😉

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

On 11/24/2019 at 12:25 PM, mumto2 said:

Finally, Tess Garrison’s latest. The Shape of the Night  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43892586-the-shape-of-night which I thought was going to be sort of a suspenseful nod to The Ghost and Mrs Muir........not at all.  As close to horror as I get and finish with some pretty explicit adult scenes thrown in at about 50%,  I only kept going because of a need to learn the ending.  I will say it was suspenseful!

Tess Garrison writes well and it is suspenseful but I know what you mean about the explicit scenes. In one of the books she goes on quite a bit about sexual abuse. Since I already hear quite a bit in my line of work, I don't relish hearing this on the way to work or home on audiobook. But still a good crime story writer.

I am firmly ensconced in Amelia Peabody's Egypt. A favorite way for me to beat stress (audits at work) and I look forward to the Audiobook as well as the reading.

Audiobook: The Falcon at the Portal (read this years ago and forgot how good it was)

Reading: The Ape Who Guards the Balance (this comes right before the "Falcon at the Portal" in the series. 

When I get out of Egypt, I will look for more books by Faye Kellerman because I liked "The Sacred and Profane" which I listened to between two other books.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Robin M said:

Forgive, I'm behind.  My brain's been in la la land the past few months.  Are you moving or in real estate?  Your house viewings, if you are showing your house or looking at other folk's is referred to  to here as Open House.    Congrats on finishing the November spelling challenge.   Hubby recently pulled Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave  out from the back of the shelves and I've been staring at it every morning.  Time for a reread.   I remember reading Madam will you talk years and years ago.   Great suspense story.  

Do you have any books in mind for buddy read's for next year?   

I think the option of 5 x 4 or visa versa or maybe 2 x 10 may be easier.  I have a couple categories in my 10 x 10 I totally forgot about.  Oops.  Have to rethink a category and make it fit. *grin* 

Moving 🙂  (Right, I though it was called something different.  An Open Home here is where the  Real Estate agent (or the seller, if they are doing a private sale without an agent involved) advertises the property as open for 'whomsoever will" to come at view it on the advertised day and time. The agent will show the public that turn up the home.  A viewing is usually just the real estate agent and the potential purchasers.  We have only done viewings,  no Open Homes, as I like the agent to know exactly who is coming through my home before hand.

No need to respond to any of that😋

I have never read Mary Stewart before and another Goodreads reader suggested 2 titles for me to try. 

Nothing in mind, right now, for buddy reads .... but, seeing Mum's comment beneath maybe we could slip in a Mary Stewart title?  A Classic? A non-fiction read?  Others suggesting a favourite  (  @Kareni 's Lineman would have been good 😉 ) for us to try?

Your resized options sound very doable.

16 hours ago, mumto2 said:

If I am understanding what Tuesday is saying she is showing her house to prospective purchasers.  Btw, yeah for back to back! 😉

Yes, to the bolded!  

17 hours ago, mumto2 said:

We have almost always been shown homes by owners there both for purchase or lease.  It’s definitely to the owners advantage to show it themselves.....and yes you might just offer a cuppa. 😉 So it is far more work than tidying the house and going out for an hour.  Do you have gazumping etc in NZ?

Wow.  I don't think I'd that - my DH would love it!    Especially offering them a cuppa.  No gazumping here (or not that I know of.)  We do have something called a betterment clause where a secondary contract with better conditions for the seller (ie: an unconditional cash offer)  allows the first contract holder 5 days to come up with the finance and be the purchaser.

17 hours ago, mumto2 said:

It’s rare for the owner of the property to show it in the US.  It’s actually really odd for the buyer and seller to even meet before the close where you very well may meet and actually sign the paperwork sitting around a big table together.  In England the close is the exchange of contracts which the lawyers do, so you never see each other as you exchange.  We simply got a call that it was done and picked up the keys at the agents.

ETA......Different subject, great titles for Phryne Fisher.  I want to reread some Mary Stewart’s next year.😉

Thanks for typing the real estate difference up Sandy, very interesting!  

• Like 5

We are now in packing to move mode (sincerely, thanking God!) so I'm taking a quick trip through here before I do, similar to @Lady Florida., and start sorting and packing (hello audiobooks, big time).  Too many printed books is a good problem to have, until it comes time to move 😋

(Thank you Robin for seting up and hosting another year of book challenges, this has been a fun and very varied reading year for me)

I thought I’d best share my completed 10x10 challenges as completed now  ( I do still have one small read, Genesis in the KJV bible, to complete before the end of December).

• 1.     Scotland/Scots Author (read 10 of 10) can only use 1 author 2x once, no series double ups,  no dual categories
  • 2.     Downunder,  Locale or Author  (read 10 of 10) no author double ups, only use 2 books max in dual categories
  • 3.     Christian / Religious Fiction (read 10 of 10)  no author repeats,  can only use 2 books max in dual categories
  • 4.     Classics (read 10 of 10)  no author repeats for a single number, can count two shorter books as one single read, can’t be used in any other category
  • 5.     Chunkster   ½ of 10x10   (5 of 5)can’t be a classic, only 1 title can be used in dual categories
  • 6.     Non-fiction (20 of 20)   (Christian) Non-fiction (read 10 of 10)   cannot be used in any other category, and,   (General) Non-fiction (read 10 of 10) no author repeats for a single number, can count two shorter books as one single read, can’t be used in any other category
  • 7.     During or post WWII   (10 of 10) no author repeats,  can only use 2 books max in dual categories
  • 8.     Israel   ½ of 10x10   (5 of 5)   no author repeats.  Only 1 book can be used in dual categories
  • 9.     Rinse n Repeat  (10 of 10)  can’t be used  in any other category, cannot be used in Spelling Challenge
  • 10.  New-to-Me Fiction Authors (15 of 15)   can’t be used in any other category

Scotland/Scots Author (read 10 of 10) can only use 1 author 2x once, no series double ups,  no dual categories

• 1.     Winter and Rough Weather: Drumberley, Bk3 ~ D. E. Stevenson (5)  
  • 2.     The Walnut Tree ~ Charles Todd, narrated by Fiona Hardingham  (3) 
  • 3.     The Case is Closed: Miss Silver Bk2 ~ Patricia Wentworth, narrated by Diana Bishop (4)
  • 4.     Sick Heart River: Sir Edward Leithin Bk5 ~ John Buchan Peter, narrated by Peter Newcombe  Joyce  (3)  (Scots author)
  • 5.     The Prisoner in the Castle: Maggie Hope Bk8 ~ Susan Elia MacNeal   (1) meh!!
  • 6.     The Other Woman ~ Daniel Silva , narrated by George Guidall  Chunkster (624pgs/10hrs45ms)  (England/Beirut /Spain /France /Israel /Austria/ Scotland)  (4) 
  • 7.     A Seaside Practice:  Tales of a Scottish Country Doctor Bk1~ Dr Tom Smith  (4)
  • 8.     The Howards of Caxley ~ Miss Read, narrated by June Barrie (4)
  • 9.     Katherine Wentworth: Katherine Bk1 ~ D. E. Stevenson,  narrated by Leslie Mackie (5)
  • 10.  The Good Pilot, Peter Woodhouse ~ Alexander McCall Smith, narrated by Rupert Degas (3) (WWII or Scottish author) 

Downunder,  Locale or Author  (read 10 of 10) no author double ups, only use 2 books max in dual categories

• 1.     Being Maori Chinese: Mixed Identities ~ Manying Ip   (N/F NZ)    (3+)
  • 2.     Arawata Bill: The Story of Legendary Gold Prospector William James O'Leary ~ Ian Dougherty   (N/F NZ)    (3)    
  • 3.     Don't Stop Believin' ~  Olivia Newton-John   (N/F Aus)     (3-) 
  • 4.      The Christmas Card Crime ~ Donald Stuart , narrated by Gordon Griffin  (Aust)     (3-)
  • 5.     The Luminaries ~  Eleanor Catton  (NZ)     (4-)    & Chunkster
  • 6.     Surfeit of Lampreys ~ Ngaio Marsh, narrated by Philip Franks (NZ)    (4) 
  • 7.     The Note Through the Wire ~ Doug Gold  (N/F NZ)    (4.5)
  • 8.     The Land Girls ~ Victoria Purman, narrated by Jennifer Vuletic (Aust)    (4.25)
  • 9.     Bony and the Kelly Gang: Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte Bk25 ~ Arthur W. Upfield, narrated by Peter Hosking (Aust)    (4)
  • 10.  Medic on the Move: Even Further Adventures of a Scottish Country Doctor, Bk3 ~ Dr Tom Smith (NZ travelogue)    (3)

Christian / Religious Fiction (read 10 of 10)

• 1.     A.D. 33:  A.D. Series, Bk2 ~ Ted Dekker,  narrated by Ellen Archer  (3)
  • 2.     The Divine Comedy ~ Dante Alighieri, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (translator), narrated by: Charlton Griffin (4)
  • 3.     A Name Unknown:  Shadows Over England Bk1 ~ Roseanna M. White, narrated by Liz Pearce  (3) 
  • 4.     Brother Francis: The Barefoot Saint of Assisi ~ Augustine Institute , Dr. Tim Gray, Paul McCusker  Audible Drama (3+)
  • 5.     The Last Year of the War ~ Susan Meissner  (3+)  (WWII)
  • 6.      A Shameful Murder: Reverend Mother Bk1 ~ Cora Harrison, narrated by Rosalyn Landor (3)  (Catholic based)
  • 7.     Return to Me: The Restoration Chronicles Bk1 ~ Lynn Austin (3.5)
  • 8.     The Maid of Fairbourne Hall ~ Julie Klassen, narrated by Elizabeth Jasicki (3) (cc)
  • 9.     The Goliath Code:  A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Thriller ~ Suzanne Leonhard, Gabrielle de Cuir (5)
  • 10.  Some Danger Involved: Barker & Llewelyn Bk1 ~ Will Thomas, narrated by Antony Ferguson (4-) cc/Judaism 

Classics (read 10 of 10)

• 1.     Cranford ~ Elizabeth Gaskell  (4.5)
  • 2.     Crime and Punishment ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky, Constance Garnett – translator, narrated by George Guidall (4+)
  • 3.     3a:  Persuasion ~ Jane Austen, narrated by Nadia May  (4)   (and)    3b:  Lady Susan ~ Jane Austen (3-)
  • 4.     Silas Marner ~ George Eliot,  narrated by Andrew Sachs  (4)
  • 5.     The Moonstone ~ Wilkie Collins, narrated by Peter Jeffrey  (4+)
  • 6.     Wives and Daughters ~ Elizabeth Gaskell  (4.5)
  • 7.     7a:  The Winslow Boy ~ Terence Rattigan (Classic Radio Theatre) (5)   (and)    7b:   The Canterville Ghost ~ Oscar Wilde, Narrated by Rupert Degas (Spooky October) (5)
  • 8.     The Silmarillion ~ J.R.R. Tolkien   Classic   Book & Audio (4)
  • 9.     Miss Mackenzie ~ Anthony Trollope    Kindle (4)  &  BBC dramatized audio (5) Classic
  • 10.  Kim ~ Rudyard Kipling, narrated by Madhav Sharma  (3)  Classic

Chunkster (read 5 of 5) can’t be a classic

• 1.     Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell ~  Susanna Clarke, narrated by Simon Prebble  (5) 
  • 2.     The Luminaries ~  Eleanor Catton (4-)  (Downunder,  NZ) 
  • 3.     House of Spies:  Gabriel Allon Bk17  ~ Daniel Silva, narrated by George Guidall (2-3) 
  • 4.     The Goblin Emperor  ~  Katherine Addison (kindle)  ( 4+)   new author  (512pgs)
  • 5.     The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle ~ Stuart Turton  (519pgs)   (3.5)  new author 

Non-fiction Part A: Christian Non-fiction (read 10 of 10)

• 1.     The Church Planting Wife: Help and Hope for Her Heart ~ Christine Hoover (4.5)
  • 2.     The Tech-Wise Family:  Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place ~ Andy Crouch  (4)
  • 3.     A Grief Observed ~ C.S. Lewis  (5)  & 3b: The Problem of Pain ~ C.S. Lewis, narrated by Simon Vance (3) (cc)  N/F
  • 4.     Move On:  When Mercy Meets Your Mess ~  Vicki Courtney, narrated by Julie Lyles Carr (cc) 
  • 5.     Anxious for Nothing:  Finding Calm in a Chaotic World ~ Max Lucado  (4+)
  • 6.     Girls' Club: Cultivating Lasting Friendship in a Lonely World ~ Sally, et al, Clarkson   (4* for the audiobook)
  • 7.     Book Girl~ Sarah Clarkson (4+)
  • 8.     The Read-Aloud Family ~ Sarah Mackenzie  (5)
  • 9.     The Autobiography of Peter Cartwright ~ Peter Cartwright (3) (amazon ebook)
  • 10.  A Woman After God’s Own Heart ~ Elizabeth George  N/F  (cc) audio (4)   (and)    Suffering Is Never for Nothing ~ Elisabeth Elliot   N/F (cc) kindle book (5)

Non-fiction Part B:  Non-fiction (read 10 of 10)

• 1.     Two Owls at Eton: A True Story ~ Jonathan Franklin   (4.5) 
  • 2.     Symbols ~ Joseph Piercy   (3) 
  • 3.     One Child:  The Story of China's Most Radical Experiment ~ Mei Fong, narrated by Janet Song   (5)  
  • 4.     Quirkology: The Curious Science of Everyday Lives ~ Richard Wiseman  
  • 5.     Da Vinci's Ghost:  Genius, Obsession, and How Leonardo Created the World in His Own Image ~ Toby Lester, narrated by Stephen Hoye   (not quite 3*)   
  • 6.     Jingle Bell Pop ~ John Seabrook (Music) (4)
  • 7.     Elon Musk ~ Ashlee Vance (4)  
  • 8.     The Day the World Came to Town:  9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland ~ Jim DeFede, narrated by Ray Porter (4)   
  • 9.     9a:  A=  4 Ingredients One Pot, One Bowl: Rediscover the Wonders of Simple, Home-Cooked Meals  ~ Kim McCosker (3)                                 and                 9b : The Urban Sketching Handbook: Working with Color. Techniques for Using Watercolor and Color Media on the Go ~ Shari Blaukopf  (5) 112pgs
  • 10.  One Pair of Hands ~ Monica Dickens, narrated by Carole Boyd (4-)

During or post WWII   (10 of 10)

• 1.     Irena’s Children ~  Tilar J. Mazzeo, narrated by Amanda Carlin    (5)   N/F 
  • 2.     The American Agent: Maisie Dobbs Bk15 ~ Jacqueline Winspear,  narrated by Julie Teal (4) 
  • 3.     Code Name:  Lise The True Story of the Spy Who Became WWII's Most Highly Decorated Woman ~ Larry Loftis, narrated by Kate Reading  (4.5)   N/F
  • 4.    Six Weeks of Blenheim Summer: One Pilot’s Extraordinary Account of the Battle of France ~ Alastair Dyson Panton   (4)  N/F    
  • 5.     Spring Magic ~ D. E. Stevenson, narrated by Lesley Mackie  (4) vintage read
  • 6.     The Last Year of the War ~ Susan Meissner  (3+)  cc
  • 7.     Forty Autumns:  A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall ~  Nina Willner,  narrated by Cassandra Campbell (4.5)  biographical
  • 8.     The Market Square: Caxley Chronicles Bk1 ~  Miss Read, narrated by June Barrie (5) WWII
  • 9.     Fire in the Thatch: Robert MacDonald Bk27 ~ E.C.R. Lorac (4)  vintage mystery
  • 10.  Playing with Matches:  Coming of Age in Hitler's Germany ~ Lee Strauss (audio) (3)

Israel (5 of 5)  

• 1.     A.D. 30:  A.D. Series Bk1 ~ Ted Dekker 576 pgs
  • 2.     Spies of No Country:  Secret Lives at the Birth of Israel ~ Matti Friedman, narrated by Simon Vance (NF) (3++)
  • 3.     Return to Me: The Restoration Chronicles Bk1 ~ Lynn Austin (3.5)
  • 4.     The New Girl: Gabriel Allon Bk19 ~ Daniel da Silva  (epukapuka) (3)
  • 5.     Unshaken: Lineage of Grace Bk3 (Ruth) ~ Francine Rivers (4)

Rinse n Repeat  (10 of 10)  can’t be in any other catergory

• 1.     KJV Bible (75% of the Old Testament)  still have Genesis to read
  • 2.     The Man in the Brown Suit ~ Agatha Christie  pub 1924  (3)
  • 3.     The Unfinished Clue ~ Georgette Heyer, narrated by Clifford Norgate  (4) 
  • 4.     Lady Of Quality ~ Georgette Heyer,  narrated by Eve Matheson  (3)
  • 5.     Sprig Muslin ~ Georgette Heyer  (3+)  
  • 6.     Devil's Cub: Alastair Trilogy Bk2 ~ Georgette Heyer,  narrated by Michael Drew (3)
  • 7.     Behold, Here's Poison:  Inspector Hannasyde  Bk 2 ~ Georgette Heyer, narrated by Ulli Birvé  (3)
  • 8.     The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax, Bk2 ~ Dorothy Gilman, narrated by Babara Rosenblat  (repeat listen)  (4)
  • 9.     A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax ~ Dorothy Gilman, narrated by Barbara Rosenblat (3+)  Repeat listen
  • 10.  Monday the Rabbi Took Off: Rabbi Small, Bk4 ~ Harry Kemelman, narrated by George Guidall  (4)

New-to-Me Fiction Authors (15 of 15)  can't be used in any other catergory

• 1.     The Christmas Wassail: Roger the Chapman Bk22 ~ Kate Sedley (epukapuka) (2.5)
  • 2.     A Change of Heir ~ Michael Innes  (1.5) 
  • 3.     Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster ~ Jonathan Auxier  (5
  • 4.     Carnegie's Maid ~ Marie Benedict, narrated by Alana Kerr Collins  (3) 
  • 5.     The Last Moriarty:  Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Bk1 ~ Charles Veley and Anna  Elliott narrated by  Edward Petherbridge  (3)
  • 6.     The Crime at Black Dudley:  Albert Campion Bk1 ~ Margery Allingham,  narrated by David Thorpe (2+)
  • 7.     Louisiana's Way Home ~ Kate DiCamillo, narrated by Cassandra Morris  (3) 
  • 8.     Zero G ~ Dan Wells (3) Juvenile fiction
  • 9.     Earthly Remains:  Commissario Guido Brunetti Bk26 ~ Donna Leon, narrated by David Rintoul  (4)
  • 10.  Linesman, Bk1 ~ S. K. Dunstall, narrated by Brian Hutchison (4)  Sci-fi
  • 11.  The Eleventh Orphan: Elfie and Joe Bk1 ~ Joan Lingard, narrated by Diana Bishop (5)
  • 12.  Inside Out & Back Again ~ Thanhha Lai  (5) Juvenile fict verse novel (epukapuka)
  • 13.  Dancing in the Dark: Bk 18 ~ Stuart M. Kaminsky, narrator Jim Meskimen (3-)
  • 14.  Trouble at Rose Cottage: Tumtum and Nutmeg Bk7 ~ Emily Bearn, narrated by Bill Wallis  (5)  
  • 15.  Madam, Will You Talk?  ~  Mary Stewart,  narrated by Emilia Fox (3+)   

Edited by tuesdayschild
added rules ;)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@tuesdayschild What an varied list!  I have been happily looking it over and there are several books I need to look for.  I am so impressed that you managed to finish early.  I loved looking at your rules for each category as I have varied rules and changed them throughout the year......as in each country must be represented in my Nordic Noir. My rules are why I am not done! 😂

If you have a chance please check in with move updates.........I hope it all goes smoothly and that you love your new home!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, mumto2 said:

@tuesdayschild What an varied list!  I have been happily looking it over and there are several books I need to look for.  I am so impressed that you managed to finish early.  I loved looking at your rules for each category as I have varied rules and changed them throughout the year......as in each country must be represented in my Nordic Noir. My rules are why I am not done! 😂

If you have a chance please check in with move updates.........I hope it all goes smoothly and that you love your new home!

I adjusted the rules a little so that I could finish early  - came back and included them with the categories at the top of my book listing post.  I did pull books together to count (2 books being counted as 1 title, for sufficient page count).   Looking forward to seeing your completed challenges too (unashamedly) idea hunting for letter Y, E, N  titles for next year 🙂 

I'll try to zoom through.    We have about 10 days to pack and move - made easier as we can take loads to the new house over that whole time; and,  made a bit more of an adventure as we're moving down to our 'still being built home'.   Fortunately it's summer time-ish here so glamping is doable.  (& thank you,  we will love our new home, our hearts are already there).

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 4

@tuesdayschild   Woot! Woot!  What a great list of books and I'll probably be adding a few to my want list.  Hope you move is smooth and congratulations on your new home! 

@mumto2  Gooble gooble. Great picture! 

@Kareni  Safe travels!

@Liz CA  Glad you are enjoying Amelia Peabody,  I'll add her to my list for next year.

@Junie  Are you getting goodreads all figured out?  

• Like 2

I finished listening to my audiobook this afternoon because I only had an hour left and didn’t want to forget the details over the weekend.  Supernova Era was by the same author as a favorite of mine The Three Body Problem but with a different translator which may be why I didn’t like it as much.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43263225-supernova-era Imagine if the world is exposed to a high dose of radiation from a supernova evenly and everyone over age 12 will die within the year.......what should adults do to prepare the childresn’s world to survive.  That part was fascinating............the children’s worlds was rather Lord of the Flies and wasn’t as great.  Listening was hard many similar unfamiliar names but not sure that my enjoyment was ruined.  The great news is this book is perfect for @Robin M Sounds of Silence 10 x10 from 52 books http://www.read52booksin52weeks.com/p/the-sound-of-silence.html. I now have my 10!

The Sound of Silence (52 books Challenge)

1.  After Dark by Haruki Murakami (character who lives in a Dream)

2.  Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse (force of nature in title)

3.   Melmoth by Sarah Perry (Cobblestone Streets)

4.   Vita Nostra by Marina Dyachenko (Book about change)

5.    Abadden’s Gate by James Corey(Conflict-human vs. tech from aliens)

6.    Tombland by CJ Sansom (Visionary..Captain Kett world w/out classes)

7.     Silence by Jan Costin Wagner(Book with Silence in the title)

8.     The Keeper of Lost Causes  by Jussi Adler- Olsen (character who lives in Darkness              

9.      BoneReapers by Jeanne Matthews (seed Vault)

10.     Supernova Era Lou Cixin (Dystopian, set in a futuristic world)

• Like 3

On 11/28/2019 at 3:33 PM, Junie said:

I think so.  I make a bookshelf for books that I want -- and I showed it to dh in case he needs ideas for Christmas. 🙂

What a great idea. I don't think my hubby even knows Goodreads exists.  I point him in the direction of my amazon wishlist and hope for the best. 

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I finished listening to my audiobook this afternoon because I only had an hour left and didn’t want to forget the details over the weekend.  Supernova Era was by the same author as a favorite of mine The Three Body Problem but with a different translator which may be why I didn’t like it as much.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43263225-supernova-era Imagine if the world is exposed to a high dose of radiation from a supernova evenly and everyone over age 12 will die within the year.......what should adults do to prepare the childresn’s world to survive.  That part was fascinating............the children’s worlds was rather Lord of the Flies and wasn’t as great.  Listening was hard many similar unfamiliar names but not sure that my enjoyment was ruined.  The great news is this book is perfect for @Robin M Sounds of Silence 10 x10 from 52 books http://www.read52booksin52weeks.com/p/the-sound-of-silence.html. I now have my 10!

The Sound of Silence (52 books Challenge)

1.  After Dark by Haruki Murakami (character who lives in a Dream)

2.  Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse (force of nature in title)

3.   Melmoth by Sarah Perry (Cobblestone Streets)

4.   Vita Nostra by Marina Dyachenko (Book about change)

5.    Abadden’s Gate by James Corey(Conflict-human vs. tech from aliens)

6.    Tombland by CJ Sansom (Visionary..Captain Kett world w/out classes)

7.     Silence by Jan Costin Wagner(Book with Silence in the title)

8.     The Keeper of Lost Causes  by Jussi Adler- Olsen (character who lives in Darkness              

9.      BoneReapers by Jeanne Matthews (seed Vault)

10.     Supernova Era Lou Cixin (Dystopian, set in a futuristic world)

Sounds like Supernova would definitely stirs up thought and conversation with the what if this were to happen? 

I'm impressed with the variety of categories for sounds of silence you managed to complete.  All your books, especially BoneReapers sound really interesting. Something to add for next year. 

I bought three titles off amazon today for S.O. S read: Archers Voice by Mia Sheridan,  Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and a YA Steampunk story Silence by Michelle Sagara.    I have to either rename a couple categories or whittle it down to 5 instead of 10, 

3 hours ago, SKL said:

So we listened to A Child's Christmas in Wales.  It was pretty bad.  We are partway into Matthew on the New Testament disk.  While the kids don't love it, I think it is much better than the Wales one.  😛

While the kids may not love it, I'm wondering what their takeaways are from listening.  I can just imagine the conversations.  My son always surprises me because he thinks on it for a long time and will ask me a question out of the blue about the subject, long after I've forgotten about it.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Robin M said:

What a great idea. I don't think my hubby even knows Goodreads exists.  I point him in the direction of my amazon wishlist and hope for the best. 

Sounds like Supernova would definitely stirs up thought and conversation with the what if this were to happen? 

I'm impressed with the variety of categories for sounds of silence you managed to complete.  All your books, especially BoneReapers sound really interesting. Something to add for next year. 

I bought three titles off amazon today for S.O. S read: Archers Voice by Mia Sheridan,  Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and a YA Steampunk story Silence by Michelle Sagara.    I have to either rename a couple categories or whittle it down to 5 instead of 10, 

While the kids may not love it, I'm wondering what their takeaways are from listening.  I can just imagine the conversations.  My son always surprises me because he thinks on it for a long time and will ask me a question out of the blue about the subject, long after I've forgotten about it.  

I don't have a wishlist.  I just put what I want in the cart and tag it as "save for later".  We have a ton of things saved for later in case we need an add-on to get free shipping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

While I really liked Bone Reapersthe other mbooks in that series have been really slow reads for me.  They are actually all heading back to the library this week all partially read. 

Several of the Goodreads comments for the Supernova Era centered on the impossibility of the science and the need to suspend disbelief was definitely present.  The concepts were great and I am convinced a world ran by middle schoolers would be scary!😉Before everyone starts defending that age group remember everyone is that age and young running everything.......water plants, airports, the military, day care.......

I just finished the first in SK Dunskill’s other series Stars Uncharted and have to admit I really enjoyed it.  No Linesman but after I got used to the characters in series I really liked all of them.  This series centers around genetic modification cosmetically but also to heal.   I am looking forward to the new book’s release!

• Like 3

On the rare days when I get access to my own computer -- because DS is using it, too -- I've been working on a big genealogy project, and I've forgotten to come here!  Here's what I've read since I last reported:

57.  "The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers" by Amy Hollingsworth.  I didn't grow up on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, because we didn't get a TV until I was 11, but I secretly enjoyed it when my little brothers chose to watch.  Loved the book!  He must have been a lovely man to know in person.

56.  "A Body in the Library" by Agatha Christie.  My local library has almost no Agatha Christie's in the main fiction area, and almost everything she ever wrote in the Large Print section.  One could come to the conclusion that they think only old ladies read Agatha Christie now.  Of course, my kids think I already am an old lady....

55.  "Christopher Columbus: A Man among the Gentiles" by Clark B. Hinckley. (LDS)  A decidedly Latter-day Saints take on the Christopher Columbus story, with divine destiny as the underlying worldview.  He quoted a lot from Christopher Columbus's own letters and journals, which I found very interesting.

54.  "The Priesthood Power of Women" by Barbara Morgan Gardner.  (LDS)

53. "Rethinking School" by Susan Wise Bauer.  Listened to the audible book this time.

52. "The Question of the Absentee Father" by E.J. Copperman/Jeff Cohen.   

51. "The Question of the Felonious Friend" by E.J. Copperman/Jeff Cohen.

50. "The Question of the Unfamiliar Husband" by E.J. Copperman/Jeff Cohen.

49. "The Question of the Missing Head" by E.J. Copperman/Jeff Cohen.

48. "Pax" by Sara Pennypacker.  

47.  "The Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum. 

46.  "Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien.  

45.  "Math with Bad Drawings" by Ben Orlin. 

44.  "The Number Devil" by Hans Magnus Enzensberger.

43.  "Insights from a Prophet's Life: Russall M Nelson" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

42.  "Live Up to Our Privileges" by Wendy Ulrich (LDS).

41.  "The Knowledge Gap: The Hidden Cause of America's Broken Education System --  And How to Fix It" by Natalie Wexler.

40.  "Blood, Bullets, and Bones" by Bridget Heos.

39.  "World War I:  The Rest of the Story and How It Affects You Today" by Richard J. Maybury.

38.  "The Thousand Year War in the Mideast:  How It Affects You Today" by Richard J. Maybury.  

37.  "The Two Towers" by J.R.R. Tokien.

36.  "Fellowship of the Ring" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

35. "The Clipper Ship Strategy" by Richard J. Maybury.

34. "The Money Mystery" by Richard J. Maybury.

33. "Evaluating Books: What Would Thomas Jefferson Think About This" by Richard J. Maybury.

32. "Ancient Rome: How It Affects You Today" by Richard J. Maybury.

31. "Are You Liberal? Conservative? or Confusted?" by Richard J. Maybury.  Funny title, because I thought I knew what I was, but now I'm confused!

30.  "Whatever Happened to Justice?" by Richard J. Maybury.

29. " The Instant Economist: Everything You Need to Know About How the Economy Works" by Timothy Taylor. 

28. "White Like Her: My Family's Story of Race and Racial Passing" by Gail Lukasik.

27. "Personal, Career, and Financial Security" by Richard J. Maybury.

26. "Rascal" by Sterling North.

25. "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?" by Richard J. Maybury.

24.  "Joy in the Covenant" by Julie B. Beck.  (LDS)

23. "The Essential 55" by Ron Clark.

22. "How to Tutor Your Own Child" by Marina Koestler Ruben.

21. "Faith is Not Blind" by Bruce and Marie Hafen. (LDS)

20. "Silent Souls Weeping: Depression, Sharing Stories, Finding Hope" by Jane Clayson Johnson.  (LDS)

19. "Leap of Faith" by Bob Bennett. (LDS)

18.  "Covenant Keepers" by Wendy Watson Nelson. (LDS)

17. "Manga Classics: MacBeth" adapted by Crystal S. Chan.

16. "One Dead Spy" by Nathan Hale.

15. "Stellar Science Projects About Earth's Sky" and "Wild Science Projects About Earth's Weather" by Robert Gardner.  

14. "Stuff Matters" by Mark Miodownik.  

13. "Led by Divine Design" by Ronald A. Rasband. (LDS)

12. "Forensic Science Projects with a Crime Lab" by Robert Gardner. 

11. "Manga Classics: The Jungle Book" adapted by Crystal S. Chan

10. "Donner Dinner Party" by Nathan Hale. 

9. "Manga Classics: The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe" adapted by Stacy King. 

8. "Bodies We've Buried" by Jarrett Hallcox and Amy Welch.

7. "The Forensic Casebook" by N.E. Genge.

6. "Shaken Faith Syndrome" by MIchael R. Ash. (LDS)

5. "Fingerprints: Crime-Solving Science Experiments" by Kenneth G. Rainis.

4. "Forensic Investigations" (6) by Leela Burnscott. & ("Bones Speak" by Richard Spilsbury)

3. "A Reason for Faith" edited by Laura Harris Hales.  (LDS)

2. "Left Standing" by Mason Wells, et al. (LDS)

1.  "Camino Easy" by B. G. Preston. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Robin M said:

Re the New Testament (KJV), they have stopped and asked a couple of questions, so I know they are interested, even though they probably will never admit it.  😛  At their age, I really enjoyed reading the Gospels.

• Like 3