Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW46: Nonfiction November

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week forty-six in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews.

Are you ready to dive in to the world of nonfiction? From true crime to memoirs to cooking to self help to drama and poetry, nonfiction literature is just as diverse as fiction with a wide variety of subjects to choose. 

Novel Suspects presents The Best True Crime Podcasts of 2019 (So Far)

Check out Lit Hub's Preview of Fall 2019 Nonfiction for science, technology, politics, history, and biography. 

Bookriot's Rebecca Hussey has compiled a list of the 
20 must read works of innovative nonfiction for 2019. 

She Reads has put together a compelling list of 12 must read memoirs of 2019.

For those who don't typically read nonfiction, Off the Shelf has put together a list of 
The Best Narrative Nonfiction Books for Non-Nonfiction Readers to dip your toes into. 

Poet Jamie McKendrick recommends the 
Best Poetry to Read in 2019.

Need a bit of inspiration? Dive into Goodreads 
Popular Nonfiction Christian reads

Penguin books offers 
15 Books to Help You Learn Something new

If you love to cook, dig into Food and Wine's 
18 Essential New Cookbooks for Fall which had me craving lasagna and shrimp. 

Have fun exploring nonfiction this month.

What are you reading?

Link to week 45

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just about done with Faith Hunter's Shattered Bonds. So good.  I did my typical read it fast and my second slow reread absorbing all the details.  Also dipping back into the Dirk and Steele series by Marjorie M. Liu and reading #2 currently Shadow Touch. 

Last night we watched the 2nd movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy - The Two Towers. Gollum is really really creepy.  Rather intense and action packed and we all had to decompress after that one. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 8

I read Nathan Lowell's second book in the series Half Share (Trader's Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper Book 2) and enjoyed it, too. (In last week's thread, I said that Quarter Share would also be fine for teen readers. This book has more adult themes, nothing truly graphic, than Quarter Share. I'd have been fine with my teen reading it, but others might not feel the same way.) I've put in a purchase suggestion with the hope that my library will purchase the next four books in the series.

"Six months in the Deep Dark.
Four different women.
One man discovers what it means to be a spacer.

It's a time of change on the Lois McKendrick. Sarah Krugg joins the crew and Ishmael Wang moves to Environmental. After getting accustomed to life aboard a solar clipper, Ishmael must learn a whole new set of skills, face his own fears and doubts, and try to balance love and loss in the depths of space.

Both Ishmael and Sarah must learn to live by the mantra, "Trust Lois." For Sarah, there is the hope of escaping a horrifying past. For Ishmael, he must discover what type of man he wants to become and learn his choices have consequences. "

13 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

I enjoyed the whole series of books that follow Quarter Share and take the hero through captaincy of a trading empire. Good stuff.

Laurel, it's good to hear that the series continues strong. Have you read any of the author's other series?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

The book by Michelle McNamara "I'll be gone in the Dark" looks like something I would be interested in.

At the moment, I am still stuck in last week's titles:

Reading:

"The Ape that Guards the Balance" by Elizabeth Peters

Next book in line is Kellerman's "Sacred and Profane."

Audiobook:

"The Painted Queen" by Peters & Hess.

I have to look at my list from several weeks ago and see if something else has become available on Overdrive.

Overdrive recently sent a notice that MacMillan Publishing is only releasing one version of every book on audio which means long wait times. Seems crazy to me as libraries buy the material just like others. Anyone know more about this?

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Just about done with Faith Hunter's Shattered Bonds. So good.  I did my typical read it fast and my second slow reread absorbing all the details.  Also dipping back into the Dirk and Steele series by Marjorie M. Liu and reading #2 currently Shadow Touch. 

Last night we watched the 2nd movie in the Lord of the Rings trilogy - The Two Towers. Gollum is really really creepy.  Rather intense and action packed and we all had to decompress after that one. 

Haven't watched the series in some time. We usually do it once a year. Is this the one where the long battle scene (Helm's Deep or something similar?) is taking place. It is so dark for quite a while, I sometimes have to take a break at that point.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Liz CA said:

The book by Michelle McNamara "I'll be gone in the Dark" looks like something I would be interested in.

At the moment, I am still stuck in last week's titles:

Reading:

"The Ape that Guards the Balance" by Elizabeth Peters

Next book in line is Kellerman's "Sacred and Profane."

Audiobook:

I have to look at my list from several weeks ago and see if something else has become available on Overdrive.

Overdrive recently sent a notice that MacMillan Publishing is only releasing one version of every book on audio which means long wait times. Seems crazy to me as libraries buy the material just like others. Anyone know more about this?

I read that they are only allowing each library to buy one copy of a title on Overdrive and thought they were talking about the Kindle format.   After the book has been released for several months they will allow more copies per library.  Apparently there are no limit on the number of paper copies a library can buy.

As someone who uses Overdrive a great deal this saddens me.  

Eta:  It’s one copy for two months, than more copies can be purchased.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I read that they are only allowing each library to buy one copy of a title on Overdrive and thought they were talking about the Kindle format.   After the book has been released for several months they will allow more copies per library.  Apparently there are no limit on the number of paper copies a library can buy.

As someone who uses Overdrive a great deal this saddens me.  

Yes, this is how I understood it as well and it is impacting how long we have to wait.   😞

• Like 5

I read Jayber Crow - 3 Stars - For me, reading this book was all about the time and setting, and not so much a connection with any of the characters. As soon as I started to develop a connection with a character, the story would meander once more. I didn’t necessarily mind that. There are many books that I have loved that are not character and story driven. I also enjoyed going back to a simpler time in rural Americana. The writing was beautiful, but it was probably towards the last third of the book that I felt that much of the narrative became repetitive and dragged on somewhat.

Oh, I enjoyed reading his thoughts on Troy Chatham! I’m related to someone like that. Berry describes that sort of person perfectly:

“He was the kind of boy who always assumes that people are watching him with admiration. He had reason for assuming so, but that in itself made me unwilling to give him the credit he expected. He was a show-off; with the other boys, he was a braggart and a bully. He was not making up for any felt inferiority, either. His faults, if he knew them, never laid heavy on his mind.”

“Maybe he thought that since he liked himself everybody liked him.”

This was the first Wendell Berry book that I’ve read, I’m happy that I did, but I’m not sure if I’ll be reading more.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“I don't believe that grief passes away. It has its time and place forever. More time is added to it; it becomes a story within a story. But grief and griever alike endure.”

“You might be thinking by now that I had a lot of aunts and uncles, but that was just the courtesy of those days; children were not allowed to go around first-naming older people.”

“I’d had the idea, once, that if I could get the chance before I died I would read all the good books there were. Now I began to see that I wasn’t apt to make it. This disappointed me, for I really wanted to read them all.”

9781582431604.jpg

In other news, some of you may recall my problems with my neck and hands (cervical spondylosis) and not being able to read much, etc. Well. my husband and I flew to Trinidad (30 minutes flight from Grenada) on Thursday. I saw a few different doctors, had my very first MRI, and a nerve conduction test. It turns out that I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. What a relief! No need for surgery (hopefully!). Yes, I do have cervical spondylosis (osteoarthritis in the neck), but that's quite common in our age group anyway. Carpal tunnel is far more manageable. The best part is knowing what it is. Now I have to be vigilant about what to do. It makes sense. I didn't have any symptoms when we were on vacation. That's when I wasn't on the computer and didn't do any housework. Thank you all for your loving thoughts, prayers, and for caring.

Finally, a few pictures from our first afternoon in Sevilla, Spain.

The first one was one that I was all excited about. I had never seen jacaranda trees before. They were all over Sevilla! 

The second picture is of a patio. Andalusians take great pride in their patios. 

5.jpg

8a.jpg

13.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I haven't encountered that about audiobooks  (that's disappointing for us a audio lenders)... guess our  library network, down here, will catch up with letting us know that.   I had encountered these articles online about ebooks  https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/80758-after-tor-experiment-macmillan-expands-embargo-on-library-e-books.html  then recently   https://www.npr.org/2019/11/01/775150979/you-may-have-to-wait-to-borrow-a-new-e-book-from-the-library       There is a good chunk of literature, typed and audio, we already can't purchase electronically due to 'location', yet sometimes our library is able to.      (As a trivial extra, an Amazon Kindle will not allow us to read any books we loan via the library Overdrive , we have to read via a phone or an e.reader.)

The audio, beneath.  Are you enjoying it?

2 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Audiobook:

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

@Negin  I appreciate you review of the Berry book (he's an author I haven't read yet).  LOVE your travel pictures. Jacaranda's are beautiful, aren't they.  (They come in to full display down here in NZ in January.)  ETA:  Post diagnosis.  Hoping, and praying, you can find relief and healing - constant pain is so debilitating. 

Look forward to browsing through all the links you've shared @Robin M (non-fiction is a loved genre), and @Kareni (good to see you had a lovely time with your friend and to see you back, here, at the end of last weeks chat).

Linesman, @mumto2,  I just had to join in 😉 ... Bk 3, Confluence  is my favourite too,  (but I had to have read the other two books first to get there.  Really like Bk1 too;  Bk2 not so much)

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

Are you ready to dive in to the world of nonfiction?

I thought I'd post this book review which I just encountered on the SBTB site ~

The Woman’s Hour: The Great Fight to Win the Vote by Elaine Weiss

What lovely photos, Negin. Thanks for sharing. Also, I'm glad you now have a diagnosis. Wishing you well as you move forward with that knowledge.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I'm getting quite a bit of audio listening done as we cycle through ongoing prep for viewers to come through our home here.

Currently istening to:

Completed:

Songbird: A Kings Lake Investigation Bk1  ~ Peter Grainger, narrated by Gildart Jackson (5)  I initially thought this was going to be a crime case surrounding rape and then murder which generated a cautious hesitant beginning for – too much detailing in that direction and I’m done.  (Some of the investigating and the discussion during the autopsy is detailed concerning private body parts and fluid).    There is no rape involved in this murder mystery.        (Extra:  Some mention of; infertility, IVF treatments,  and,  bipolar personalities.  Some profanity, two f b.bombs.  Husband committing adultery - the guy is a prat even without that).  Fuller review here    https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3035354903     

Playing with Matches:  Coming of Age in Hitler's Germany ~ Lee Strauss (audio) (3) YA  WWII   I think this is one story that I would have enjoyed more by physically reading it; it felt like the narrator was reading ‘down’ to his audience.     Fuller review here   https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2747422948

Bodies from the Library: Selected Lost Tales of Mystery and Suspense by Masters of the Golden Age ~ Tony Medawar (3-)     The stories I like best.   The Man With the Twisted Thumb ~ Anthony  Berkeley (4)  The Starting-Handle Murder ~ Roy Vickers (4)      Fuller review here   https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2582758739

The English Spy ~ Daniel Silva, narrated by George Guidall        Perhaps Daniel Silva should have called this “The Rogue Irish Assassin”.    I’ve been reading more Silva books than I ever would have due to our BaW whodunit spelling challenge this year.  After this book, I’m content to count Gabriel Allon and I as done…. George Guidall’s narration, as always, is brilliant and made this story a riveting listen.      I always feel so sorry for Gabriel’s abandoned (!!!!!) ex-wife, no matter how Silva tries to explain his way around this scenario  -  definitely disturbing aspect to the series.    Has violence induces interrogation sessions, and,  f.bombs.     Fuller review here   https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2645861732

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

I haven't encountered that about audiobooks  (that's disappointing for us a audio lenders)... guess our  library network, down here, will catch up with letting us know that.   I had encountered these articles online about ebooks  https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/80758-after-tor-experiment-macmillan-expands-embargo-on-library-e-books.html  then recently   https://www.npr.org/2019/11/01/775150979/you-may-have-to-wait-to-borrow-a-new-e-book-from-the-library       There is a good chunk of literature, typed and audio, we already can't purchase electronically due to 'location', yet sometimes our library is able to.      (As a trivial extra, an Amazon Kindle will not allow us to read any books we loan via the library Overdrive , we have to read via a phone or an e.reader.)

The audio, beneath.  Are you enjoying it?

Yes, I like it. This is the book Peters did not finish before she passed so Joan Hess (a friend and writer) finished it for her. Sometimes, I feel I can see that it's a different author as Peters had fleshed out the characters so well that the reader knows what would be in character or not for that person to say. Overall, it's an enjoyable book in the Peabody series.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Haven't watched the series in some time. We usually do it once a year. Is this the one where the long battle scene (Helm's Deep or something similar?) is taking place. It is so dark for quite a while, I sometimes have to take a break at that point.

Oh my gosh, yes.  We did have to take a couple breaks, the movie was so long and intense and the battle scene went on forever.  They could have split this movie in two and it would have been just as good. 

• Like 3

@Negin   Gorgeous pictures! Thank you for sharing!

@Kareni Glad you had fun with your friend. Thank you for all the links.  Re the Linesman trilogy - Alliance is on my wishlist!

@tuesdayschild  Welcome to the Linesman's fan club.  😁

@mumto2  The embargo is for two months. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Thanks for the more detailed links,  I think I saw it explained via blog a couple of weeks ago.  

UK libraries do not have Overdrive Kindle either.  Apparently per librarian friends it was made very clear upfront that Amazon would not be releasing the Kindle format to libraries when kindle came to the UK.  I do use my library card there for unique audio occasionally but prefer to just work with Overdrive.  

After reading the part about one cheap overdrive that the library perpetually owns being the first book I feel a bit more positive about the move.  As a series reader I love being able to check out a nice clean kindle copy of the first book in a series that came out 25 years ago so this will keep books in a collection which is a plus.  Also the hold lists for really popular books is frequently long..........honestly I frequently go on knowing I have a six month wait all the time because I prefer the kindle format.  It mentioned some other publishers are already doing something similar which explains the rapid movement in my long hold’s after a couple of months.  Like Robin I am not sure that I will be very inconvenienced......I probably won’t be seeing new releases until after the two month mark but do wonder if the long waiting lists at huge library systems might dwindle pretty quickly with multiple copies.

31 minutes ago, Robin M said:

@mumto2  The embargo is for two months. Even after reading the article, don't understand their reasoning.

@Negin  What good news!  I love the pictures of all the pots filled with plants....I would love watering all those pots but love looking at them.  

• Like 4

Hello all! 

@Robin M looking forward to browsing through all the links!

@Negin Beautiful photos! I would love to have a plant-filled patio like that. And hooray to have a diagnosis - now you can concentrate on healing! The only Wendell Berry I've read was Peace Like a River and it was sooo good. Maybe try that one?

Last week I finished: 

Don't Look Now  a short story by Daphne du Maurier - it was ok.

Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King on audio. The narration was terrific although the story didn't appeal to me.

Guts by Raina Telgemeier.  Middle grade graphic novel - somewhat autobiographical of the author's struggles when she was 9-11. My teens and I have enjoyed her other books and this one is no exception. Poor girl, she really struggled as a child.

Down a Dark Hall by Lois Duncan. Updated edition of an earlier story. I liked how this went down a different trail (or a hall, haha) than what I expected. I've handed it over to my 13yo to see what she thinks. 

Right now I'm in the middle of The Hunger by Alma Katsu. It's a version of the Donner Party story but along with the bad decisions and starvation, something is stalking and killing off members of their group. 

• Like 4

I actually finished a nonfiction audiobook earlier this week for my Seafaring Bingo square.  The Catalogue of Lost Books https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41758062-the-catalogue-of-shipwrecked-books was quite fascinating. Columbus had an illegitimate son, Hernando, who not only traveled with his father but lived a life devoted to starting what might be the first library that is similar to what we know today.  He attempted to include all published materials, not just the famous.  He was also the first to attempt to develop a cataloging system which I found especially interesting.

@Mothersweets  Down a Dark Hall was one of my favorite books when I was your DD’s age.  Someone here helped me find it as I couldn’t remember many relevant details so I could read it with DD at that age.  

I am currently listening to Sacred Games by Gary Corby for my Sacred Bingo square.    I had planned to use it for my Ancient square but think I will use it for Sacred and spell Ancient.  This series features a detective in Athens, and this particular book is set at the Olympic Games.  Enjoyable with some adult content.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15849504-sacred-games?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=HmIpV6FaN5&rank=3

I have several fluffy kindle books currently which are meant to balance my Nordic Noir paper stack to finish that 10x10.  Many of the Fluffy books have been picked in order to finish up my 2019 A to Z challenges.  First up in Nordic Noir, The Bird Tribunal https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29501521-the-bird-tribunal?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=Lj9Qlinyct&rank=1.  

• Like 5

10 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

@Negin  I appreciate you review of the Berry book (he's an author I haven't read yet).  LOVE your travel pictures. Jacaranda's are beautiful, aren't they.  (They come in to full display down here in NZ in January.)  ETA:  Post diagnosis.  Hoping, and praying, you can find relief and healing - constant pain is so debilitating. 

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

What lovely photos, Negin. Thanks for sharing. Also, I'm glad you now have a diagnosis. Wishing you well as you move forward with that knowledge.

8 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

Beautiful photos! I would love to have a plant-filled patio like that. And hooray to have a diagnosis - now you can concentrate on healing! The only Wendell Berry I've read was Peace Like a River and it was sooo good. Maybe try that one?

Thank you all for your kind words both re: the pictures, and, my diagnosis. Thank you for all the prayers. I'm slowly making changes. I slept with wrist braces for the first time last night. It wasn't the most comfortable and I know that it will take some getting used to. 

• Like 5

Hi!  I ended up missing the book discussion for Leota's Garden because of another commitment.  So far I still have not read any of the other people's comments, but I intend to.

I finished the last parenting book I was reading, and now I'm reading Boundaries with Teens.  I think after this, I will take a break from all this teen psychology stuff and just read a stupid fiction crime novel or something.  😛  Might be less scary!  Or one of the history-related books I have on my to-do list.

Our current audiobook is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  I read this book a long long time ago and did not remember some of the mature content - or maybe it went right over my head, LOL.  My kids are a little young for some of it, but overall it is great.  We are about 90% done and I hope we finish this week.

I got back to reading aloud a bit last week.  Hope to continue it.  Still working on the book we started in the summer.

• Like 7

Do you ever look at a book you are reading and think, "Oh, I have twenty or thirty pages still to go"?  Then the story ends, and you realize those remaining pages are filled with ancillary matter. I wasn't ready for the book to end; it's as though someone took the last cookie or neglected to say "Uno!"

All this to say that I read and enjoyed (save for the ending that came too fast) To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers which is a science fiction novella. The ending has an element of Frank Stockton's The Lady, or the Tiger? (free at the link) in that it leaves you with possibilities rather than an answer.

"At the turn of the twenty-second century, scientists make a breakthrough in human spaceflight. Through a revolutionary method known as somaforming, astronauts can survive in hostile environments off Earth using synthetic biological supplementations. They can produce antifreeze in subzero temperatures, absorb radiation and convert it for food, and conveniently adjust to the pull of different gravitational forces. With the fragility of the body no longer a limiting factor, human beings are at last able to journey to neighboring exoplanets long known to harbor life.

A team of these explorers, Ariadne O’Neill and her three crewmates, are hard at work in a planetary system fifteen light-years from Sol, on a mission to ecologically survey four habitable worlds. But as Ariadne shifts through both form and time, the culture back on Earth has also been transformed. Faced with the possibility of returning to a planet that has forgotten those who have left, Ariadne begins to chronicle the story of the wonders and dangers of her mission, in the hope that someone back home might still be listening. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I’m in love with Disney plus streaming service. James and I watched The Mandalorian today and then perused all the movies and tv shows.  All the disney and pixar and Marcel movies are on there. So many i haven’t seen.  Like being in a candy shop and not being able to decide which one to chose.  Anyone else tripping out on the selections?  

• Like 3

On 11/13/2019 at 12:07 AM, Robin M said:

I’m in love with Disney plus streaming service. James and I watched The Mandalorian today and then perused all the movies and tv shows.  All the disney and pixar and Marcel movies are on there. So many i haven’t seen.  Like being in a candy shop and not being able to decide which one to chose.  Anyone else tripping out on the selections?  

We don’t have it up and running yet but it’s on hubby’s list!  Your post made me happy because I wasn’t  sure that I would enjoy it much........I spent years watching Disney movies and the kids had quite a collection.  Dh did not watch many so really enjoys them......we found the original Mary Poppins VHS a few weeks ago which he hadn’t watched since a theatre as a child.  He loved it!  Are the oldies all there like Aristocats?  My favorite❤️!  Well, Aristocats and Bedknobs are my favorites.  I know we will get use out of Marvel!😂 My kid’s watch them all!

Question of the Week........What is your favorite Disney movie?

I finally started reading my Phyrne Fisher mystery and have to say Cocaine Blues at 20% is good.  I now remember why I never read this series,  this first book deals with botched abortions which is a personal trigger for me. I do think I have started Cocaine Blues and abandoned it in the past.  So far I am good with how things are being presented so will continue but other people might prefer to give a later one in the series a try.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mumto2 said:

We don’t have it up and running yet but it’s on hubby’s list!  Your post made me happy because I wasn’t  sure that I would enjoy it much........I spent years watching Disney movies and the kids had quite a collection.  Dh did not watch many so really enjoys them......we found the original Mary Poppins VHS a few weeks ago which he hadn’t watched since a theatre as a child.  He loved it!  Are the oldies all there like Aristocats?  My favorite❤️!  Well, Aristocats and Bedknobs are my favorites.  I know we will get use out of Marvel!😂 My kid’s watch them all!

Question of the Week........What is your favorite Disney movie?

Yes, all the old movies are available as well including Mary Poppins,  Aristocats and Bedknobs, plus all the old cartoons going back the 20's. 

My favorite?  So hard to narrow down to just one.  Star Wars is a given.  Probably Fantasia which was on vhs tape and we wore out a long time ago.  

• Like 2

It just hit me that we only have 6 weeks left before the end of the year.  Any thoughts about next year's reading plans.  What you want to continue from this year and what you'd like to dip into in 2020?  Ideas for new challenges or bingo categories? 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Robin M said:

It just hit me that we only have 6 weeks left before the end of the year.  Any thoughts about next year's reading plans.  What you want to continue from this year and what you'd like to dip into in 2020?  Ideas for new challenges or bingo categories? 

Oh wow!  Can’t believe we need to plan for 2020 already! Fun stuff!  Beyond wanting another spelling challenge incorporated I don’t have any instant ideas or requests.  I have enjoyed the 10x10 concept this year and it has worked well for me in terms of broadening my reading.  BIngo is always a challenge for me but there isn’t a category that I really want to do.

• Like 3

After many months hiatus (well, I've been reading now and then but not posting),  wanted to say that I listened to The Goblin Emperor (thanks to MumTo2 I think- I've read it before but never listened) -- it was good but I'm glad I read it first.  There were def a couple spots where if I were reading it, I would have gone back and tried to find the earlier reference to something brought up and the names were MUCH more confusing listening than reading.  Anyway I still love it 😄

• Like 4

I enjoyed reading Dauntless by Lisa Henry which was a romance novella with a mystery. (Adult content)

"Joe Nesmith leads a peaceful life as the lighthouse keeper on Dauntless Island, a small island off the coast of Australia where the occupants are proud of their mutinous history and have very long memories.

When graduate student Eddie Hawthorne comes to Dauntless, he brings with him a historical diary that might just throw everything the islanders have ever believed into disarray—and one of them might even resort to deadly measures to make sure that Eddie’s research never sees the light of day.

When Eddie is attacked, Joe is drawn in to helping him discover which of the islanders could have done such a thing. The rising attraction between them doesn’t mean anything, right? It’s just a fling. But while Joe find himself wishing more and more that Eddie could stay on Dauntless, it’s clear that somebody else wants Eddie gone, permanently. And when the attacker escalates to murder, both Joe and Eddie find themselves in danger of Dauntless Island’s bloody history repeating itself."

I've also enjoyed browsing Hand Lettering for Relaxation by Amy Latta. This is a very approachable book that includes ample practice space should you wish to use it that way. (I don't think my library would appreciate my doing so!)

"A Fun Inspiring Introduction to the Art of Hand Lettering

Hand Lettering for Relaxation is the perfect way to cultivate calmness and joy while creating beautiful works of art. While hand lettering can look intimidating, artist and blogger Amy Latta has a friendly and down-to-earth approach that will give you the confidence to draw impressive designs with ease. Learn how to create a lovely brush-lettered look with easy, no-fail faux calligraphy. Then add pretty embellishments such as vines, roses, banners, ribbons, swirls and feathers that take your designs to the next level. You’ll also get a beginner’s guide to real brush lettering, plus fun print fonts and ways to highlight, shadow or emboss your words. With 46 unique workshops, each with a featured motivational design, you will gain enough proficiency to proudly share your lettered art on social media, make personalized gifts and even decorate your home.

In this interactive workbook, doodling on the high-quality art paper is highly encouraged! Use it to letter the featured design with the new technique you learned, create your own design or simply enjoy some meditative practice. No matter how you use it, this book is sure to help you relax, enjoy your creative journey and make your life more beautiful wherever you are. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, LaughingCat said:

After many months hiatus (well, I've been reading now and then but not posting),  wanted to say that I listened to The Goblin Emperor (thanks to MumTo2 I think- I've read it before but never listened) -- it was good but I'm glad I read it first.  There were def a couple spots where if I were reading it, I would have gone back and tried to find the earlier reference to something brought up and the names were MUCH more confusing listening than reading.  Anyway I still love it 😄

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

That's such a great book; I'm glad you liked it. (Now you need to read or listen to Linesman by SK Dunstall....)

Regards,

Kareni

What can I say beyond Kareni is right.  Glad you enjoyed listening to The Goblin Emperor!

On 11/3/2019 at 5:29 PM, RootAnn said:

I'm listening to America's Bank by Roger Lowenstein. It was recommended by the Hive at some point. These type of books always make me wish I knew my history better. If I ever get around to reading The Creature from Jekyll Island, I feel like I'll be able to wrap my head around the whole Central Bank idea.

I just finished The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo. I feel like y'all talked about this after it came out, but I wanted to say that while I did not like how it was written (present time, back in time, present time, back in time), I felt like the author really understood what it is like to be a child, a spouse, and a parent. Relationships are never always easy. Even the closest family or friendships have rough spots; unspoken things can become huge or they can be smoothed over without talking about them (but maybe are always a bump instead of the previous flat spot). Parents never stop worrying about their kids. Kids realizing their parents are human beings doesn't necessarily ever mean they will understand what went into the decisions they made. And childhood for one kid in a family can be so radically different than childhood of another in the same family with the same parents. Too much sex, smoking, drinking, and swearing for my taste, but it was gritty and REAL. I empathized with many of the characters even when I was baffled by their actions & choices. That's real life.

I'm rereading Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza before attacking the next book in the series. It is slow going at some points like it was the first time, but I remember it was a good overall read. (Like lots of books, I don't remember how it ended. Thus, a reread is necessary.)

I just wanted say thank you for putting Empress of a Thousand Skies on my radar.  I just finished listening to it and found it quite good and as a bonus it is in outer space so I am getting close to finishing my 10x10 category.  I have actually checked the second of the series out but have not started listening to it.  

• Like 4

I fiiiinallly read something new. I have spent a year rereading, which is nice but not exactly postworthy. I just finished a Frank Herbert book. I love Dune so I was excited when I discovered Deep Pressure. It was not at all what I expected. At one point in time, I am sure this was scifi but at this point, it is much more of a spy story. 

I am also listening to something new - The Creative Curve. So far no concepts that I didn't know already from read books like Blink. 

Nan

• Like 7

It's nice to see you, Nan!

3 hours ago, Nan in Mass said:

I have spent a year rereading, which is nice but not exactly postworthy.

I'm inclined to disagree as I'm interested in learning what books you consider worthy of rereading. I only tend to reread books that I consider very good.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I recently saw a stage production of Dickens' Great Expectations, so I pulled it off of my To Be Read stack and read it.  Great Expectations is another classic that I should have read a long time ago and had never gotten around to it.  It was much more enjoyable than Oliver Twist (which I also read recently), but not as enjoyable as A Tale of Two Cities.

I also (finally) read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  I had heard the story before, of course, but I had never actually read it.  I think that Robert Louis Stevenson himself might have had a dual personality.  Comparing this to A Child's Garden of Verses, you would never recognize it to be the same author.

• Like 5

I just realized that I forgot to post last week that I read Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini.  I had never heard of this book until fairly recently and I really, really enjoyed it.  Sabatini is Italian, but wrote in English.  And the setting of the book is in France during the Revolution.  Sabatini's writing reminded me of Dumas, but it was much more approachable.  It was an easy read and a fun story.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Kareni said:

It's nice to see you, Nan!

I'm inclined to disagree as I'm interested in learning what books you consider worthy of rereading. I only tend to reread books that I consider very good.

Regards,

Kareni

Lol... I reread because rereading allows me to choose the world I want to escape into. This is also why my house is overrun with books. A few of the many authors, picked at random, that I consistently have reread for years now are Patricia McKillip, Ngaio Marsh, Terry Pratchett, Angela Thirkel, A A Milne, P G Wodehouse, Georgette Heyer, and Kenneth Graham. 

• Like 5