Menu

Turmeric for inflammation?

MEmama

I know there are several people here who struggle with joint inflammation and am wondering if anyone takes turmeric to help relive pain?

I've been experiencing pretty severe pain in my hands for a couple of years. I used to only get it in summer (10 years or more) but now it’s all the time, and more recently I'm having similar issues with my feet. I'm seeing a DO for a different issue, and when talking about my hands he recommended trying turmeric pills (I bought some from Pure). 

Has anyone found it to help? Are there any side effects I should know about? I’m not one to jump on trendy health “cures”, but I’m willing to give almost anything a try at this point. 

Well, I can't promise that it's a purely medical result, but I started taking turmeric capsules a couple of years ago because I had mildish-mediumish pain in my hips, mainly one of them. I rarely notice any pain there now, and I don't believe any other circumstances around it have changed. So I keep taking them.

ETA: No side effects that I know of, and besides helping with inflammation, it has other good health properties as well.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 1

With my rheumatologist's blessing I started taking turmeric right around the first of the year. 500 mg. twice a day is his recommended dosage. Unfortunately, I've not noticed that it's made a bit of difference for me, and I'm going to stop taking it as soon as I finish up the current bottle. I haven't noticed any side effects that I could attribute to the turmeric, but my primary problem is RA and I'm on three rather strong medications currently (two DMARDs and one biologic). So it's hard to know what's causing what. For me OA is a relatively minor issue. But I have multiple relatives with worse OA than me who believe turmeric helps them a lot, so I'm thinking it may be more beneficial for OA than RA. It's definitely worth trying. We've had at least one thread before where brands were recommended, so you might want to search for it.

• Like 2

My dd took it pretty consistently for about a year for her joint pain and other autoimmune stuff, but didn't notice any improvement.  I recommended it to my dad when he was beginning to suffer arthritic pain, but he didn't notice a difference either.

I take it daily myself, not for any short-term help but for possible long-term benefits.

• Like 2

I do.  If you add cinnamon, ginger, and glucosamine it seems to have a synergistic effect.  If taken on an empty stomach it sometimes seems to cause heartburn, but that may have more to do with eating onions than anything about the supplements.

When DH is feeling "achy" he'll take one of each & feel better the next day.

I need more than that over the course of 5-10 days to see a big difference if I feel awful.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Katy said:

When DH is feeling "achy" he'll take one of each & feel better the next day.

I need more than that over the course of 5-10 days to see a big difference if I feel awful.

Same here; dd feels better in a day or two, I need about a week (although one turmeric capsule daily does the trick for me). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

With my rheumatologist's blessing I started taking turmeric right around the first of the year. 500 mg. twice a day is his recommended dosage. Unfortunately, I've not noticed that it's made a bit of difference for me, and I'm going to stop taking it as soon as I finish up the current bottle. I haven't noticed any side effects that I could attribute to the turmeric, but my primary problem is RA and I'm on three rather strong medications currently (two DMARDs and one biologic). So it's hard to know what's causing what. For me OA is a relatively minor issue. But I have multiple relatives with worse OA than me who believe turmeric helps them a lot, so I'm thinking it may be more beneficial for OA than RA. It's definitely worth trying. We've had at least one thread before where brands were recommended, so you might want to search for it.

Interesting. Maybe that’s why there are conflicting opinions/experiences with its effectiveness. 

When I go back to my GP I'm going to advocate for more thorough testing. I was tested for RA and it came up negative, but I don’t fully trust the results given the high incidence of false negatives. It is clear that * something* is going on, and being ok with one negative test doesn’t seem sufficient. 

5 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Just fyi, add black pepper to it to heighten the good effects.

My DO told me the same if I take a tincture. He said with pills it won’t make a difference. Also the pills can be taken on an empty stomach but the tincture should be taken with food. Of course those were his thoughts. 

4 hours ago, katilac said:

I have very good results with turmeric, but I wouldn't call my pain 'severe.' Noticeable, yes. I get stiffness and achiness in hands and knees. I absolutely notice if miss taking it for a while. 

Being lower carb also makes a noticeable difference for me. 

I wish going lower carb or gluten free had an effect for me. Unfortunately neither make a difference. I might try going dairy free (I don’t eat much anyway), but want to try the turmeric on its own so I don’t confuse any potential results. 

20 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Interesting. Maybe that’s why there are conflicting opinions/experiences with its effectiveness. 

When I go back to my GP I'm going to advocate for more thorough testing. I was tested for RA and it came up negative, but I don’t fully trust the results given the high incidence of false negatives. It is clear that * something* is going on, and being ok with one negative test doesn’t seem sufficient. 

Many people are diagnosed with sero-negative RA. And your symptoms sure sound like it could be RA. I'd ask for a referral to a rheumatologist.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Many people are diagnosed with sero-negative RA. And your symptoms sure sound like it could be RA. I'd ask for a referral to a rheumatologist.

Yeah, I’m going to. 

I tend to second guess myself. I have a high tolerance for pain and general discomfort so it’s easy to do. But yeah, it’s important to self advocate. Thanks for the encouragement. 

• Like 1

We've had several threads on turmeric, and I'm a bit short on time today, so I'm going to point you towards those for some of my longer posts.

1. Most turmeric consumed as food is not bioavailable enough to do much of anything.

2. If you take a supplement, you want to take a version with a highly concentrated compound called C-95. (C for curcumin = turmeric). There are a lot of supplements that use that patented compound, doesn't matter which you use, but I like Jarrow and take a separate supplement that helps boost its power.  If you choose a version with black pepper or ginger, so much the better, but those are usually $45/bottle and you can get the Jarrow for $17 and add a separate $8 supplement.

3. Turmeric and fish oil alone don't do much for my overall inflammation.  I do continue to take them because of turmeric has hepatic-protective qualities. So @Pawz4me, if you are on MTX, you may want to consider staying on tumeric for the hepato-protective qualities. 🙂 If you're just doing biologics, you aren't trashing your organs as much, but a lot of us are on combo therapies and there IS good evidence from studies that tumeric will help protect your liver and kidneys.

4. I take 1000mg per day per recommendation of my rheumy. I take it with food. You want a good quality fat going on at the same time (which is part of the reason I keep with my fish oil also). 

5. Definitely look at the possibility of sero negative arthritis.  If your body is showing inflammation on the markers, I highly recommend aggressive treatment early on.  Search for my threads on early arthritis or go dig around for similar information. The outcomes are WAY better long-term in terms of maintained mobility and % of damaged joints. The fact that you're talking about hands and feet makes it way more likely that you're dealing with autoimmune/RA issues.  Sorry, that's a bummer.....but osteoarthritis tends to be larger joints.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

I was tested for RA and it came up negative, but I don’t fully trust the results given the high incidence of false negatives. 

My mom’s RA year was negative for two years after symptoms started. Her rheumatologist said it’s quite common to have a negative for a year or two even with symptoms. 

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1. Most turmeric consumed as food is not bioavailable enough to do much of anything.

4. I take 1000mg per day per recommendation of my rheumy. I take it with food. You want a good quality fat going on at the same time (which is part of the reason I keep with my fish oil also). 

If OP wants to try food source while deciding on supplements, salmon fillet baked with turmeric, black pepper and ginger is not bad (yummy and nutritious).

• Like 1

https://www.hopkinsarthritis.org/ask-the-expert/negative-ra-factor-with-a-diagnosis-if-ra/

“Negative RA factor with a diagnosis if RA

February 28, 2013 By Victoria Ruffing, RN

Question

I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have a high SED rate and c reactive protein level, but a negative RA factor. I have had symptoms of joint swelling and pain in my wrists. I also have pretty significant joint damage already (by X-ray and MRI). Can I still have RA with a negative RA factor? Thanks

Answer

You most likely do have rheumatoid arthritis.  In 2010, new diagnostic criteria were established.  A point system is used; with the points awarded for which joints are affected, elevated and ESR, positive rheumatoid factor and Anti-CCP.  People suspected of having RA do not have to have points in all areas.  By using this system, we believe we can diagnose and thereby treat people earlier in their disease than previously.

An important note to this system ; anyone displaying a joint erosion on x-ray, will automatically receive the RA diagnosis regardless of the number of points achieved.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We've had several threads on turmeric, and I'm a bit short on time today, so I'm going to point you towards those for some of my longer posts.

2. If you take a supplement, you want to take a version with a highly concentrated compound called C-95. (C for curcumin = turmeric). There are a lot of supplements that use that patented compound, doesn't matter which you use, but I like Jarrow and take a separate supplement that helps boost its power.  If you choose a version with black pepper or ginger, so much the better, but those are usually $45/bottle and you can get the Jarrow for $17 and add a separate $8 supplement.

3. Turmeric and fish oil alone don't do much for my overall inflammation.  I do continue to take them because of turmeric has hepatic-protective qualities. So @Pawz4me, if you are on MTX, you may want to consider staying on tumeric for the hepato-protective qualities. 🙂 If you're just doing biologics, you aren't trashing your organs as much, but a lot of us are on combo therapies and there IS good evidence from studies that tumeric will help protect your liver and kidneys.

5. Definitely look at the possibility of sero negative arthritis.  If your body is showing inflammation on the markers, I highly recommend aggressive treatment early on.  Search for my threads on early arthritis or go dig around for similar information. The outcomes are WAY better long-term in terms of maintained mobility and % of damaged joints. The fact that you're talking about hands and feet makes it way more likely that you're dealing with autoimmune/RA issues.  Sorry, that's a bummer.....but osteoarthritis tends to be larger joints.

Thank you!

So much good info. I’ll see if I can get the search to work for me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

43 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My mom’s RA year was negative for two years after symptoms started. Her rheumatologist said it’s quite common to have a negative for a year or two even with symptoms. 

If OP wants to try food source while deciding on supplements, salmon fillet baked with turmeric, black pepper and ginger is not bad (yummy and nutritious).

Sounds delicious! 

39 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.hopkinsarthritis.org/ask-the-expert/negative-ra-factor-with-a-diagnosis-if-ra/

“Negative RA factor with a diagnosis if RA

February 28, 2013 By Victoria Ruffing, RN

Question

I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have a high SED rate and c reactive protein level, but a negative RA factor. I have had symptoms of joint swelling and pain in my wrists. I also have pretty significant joint damage already (by X-ray and MRI). Can I still have RA with a negative RA factor? Thanks

Answer

You most likely do have rheumatoid arthritis.  In 2010, new diagnostic criteria were established.  A point system is used; with the points awarded for which joints are affected, elevated and ESR, positive rheumatoid factor and Anti-CCP.  People suspected of having RA do not have to have points in all areas.  By using this system, we believe we can diagnose and thereby treat people earlier in their disease than previously.

An important note to this system ; anyone displaying a joint erosion on x-ray, will automatically receive the RA diagnosis regardless of the number of points achieved.”

Interesting. Neither of my doctors (GP nor DO) have mentioned X rays. Is that something I should ask for? It sounds like they might be more reliable than just testing?

19 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Interesting. Neither of my doctors (GP nor DO) have mentioned X rays. Is that something I should ask for? It sounds like they might be more reliable than just testing?

That’s weird (or maybe not). I had X-rays to rule out juvenile RA as a possibility when I was 17 (12th grade) together with lots of blood tests to rule out everything else. I had weak muscles on the underside of my kneecaps so straightening my legs fully cause my face to turn pale.

My mom had X-rays for her hands because her finger joints were the first to be affected.

• Like 1

What tests did they run, MEMama? ESR and c-rp were normal? Did they do a joint count (range of motion + palpitating for swelling)? 

X-rays aren’t generally the first thing they jump to. Xrays on my hands look normal but I have definitely had RA for ten years now. I have a flickering positive RA factor on bloodwork, but was solidly negative the first seven years. I was negative the last time it was checked (new rheumatologist) but they will not check that again. (I really don’t know why she ran diagnostics again on RF factor. I think she probably messed up the lab order TBH.)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What tests did they run, MEMama? ESR and c-rp were normal? Did they do a joint count (range of motion + palpitating for swelling)? 

X-rays aren’t generally the first thing they jump to. Xrays on my hands look normal but I have definitely had RA for ten years now. I have a flickering positive RA factor on bloodwork, but was solidly negative the first seven years. I was negative the last time it was checked (new rheumatologist) but they will not check that again. (I really don’t know why she ran diagnostics again on RF factor. I think she probably messed up the lab order TBH.)

I’m actually not sure what they tested. I was just told “normal, nothing to see here” and didn’t know what to as or how to follow up.

TBH, in your shoes I would book directly with a rheumatologist. Don’t be surprised if it take weeks to months to get in.

In the meantime, note on a $1 calendar which days you have pain and when, if you have morning stiffness in your feet or hands—how long it lasts, and what things the pain is keeping you from doing.

If you have joint swelling, photograph it on your phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

FWIW, I was diagnosed with sero-positive RA last year and have never had any x-rays done. But I am sero-positive, have a strong family history of RA and other AI illnesses, and had what the rheumy called a "classic onset." So it's not like there was any question for me.

The points system referenced in the quote @Arcadia posted is called the Disease Activity Score or DAS28. My rheumy uses it, but it's not the be-all-end-all for him. Just another piece of information.  One beef I have with it is that it doesn't count affected joints in the ankles or feet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I’m actually not sure what they tested. I was just told “normal, nothing to see here” and didn’t know what to as or how to follow up.

Get a copy of your test results because you are entitled to them and your rheumatologist would like to know what tests were run already. 

I second getting an appointment with a rheumatologist. You might need a referral for insurance purposes so you would want to find out if a referral is required. 

From Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353653

“Blood tests

People with rheumatoid arthritis often have an elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR, or sed rate) or C-reactive protein (CRP), which may indicate the presence of an inflammatory process in the body. Other common blood tests look for rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies.

Imaging tests

Your doctor may recommend X-rays to help track the progression of rheumatoid arthritis in your joints over time. MRI and ultrasound tests can help your doctor judge the severity of the disease in your body.”

FYI. In case insurance doesn’t want to pay for MRI or Ultrasound right away. 

“Like MRIs, ultrasounds are better at detecting early signs of erosion caused by RA compared to x-rays. Ultrasound results can reveal areas of joint inflammation, which can help support a RA diagnosis.

The ultrasound’s ability to detect inflammation levels is also important in detecting disease progression. RA patients can sometimes show signs of remission. This means that patients and their doctors may decide to reduce or pause treatments. But if an ultrasound reveals that there is still inflammation present despite symptom remission, then the doctor knows to continue treatment.

The use of ultrasound in monitoring joint deterioration in RA patients is becoming increasingly common. However, x-rays remain the gold standard that doctors use for monitoring RA disease progression.” https://www.rheumatoidarthritis.org/ra/diagnosis/imaging/

12 hours ago, MEmama said:

I've been experiencing pretty severe pain in my hands for a couple of years. I used to only get it in summer (10 years or more) but now it’s all the time, and more recently I'm having similar issues with my feet.

Has he referred you for RA? I'm seeing others are saying it too.

If you want turmeric, I've used the VitaminShoppe brand to good effect for my asthma for a year now. But you don't have a solid diagnosis of what you're treating. I'd be getting the proper testing before you self-treat and let it go longer. :(

6 hours ago, MEmama said:

I wish going lower carb or gluten free had an effect for me. Unfortunately neither make a difference. I might try going dairy free (I don’t eat much anyway), but want to try the turmeric on its own so I don’t confuse any potential results. 

I tried doing individual things (or not doing individual things), but what seems to help me is a synergistic combination of adding a group of things and avoiding a group of things. 

So lower starch type carbs (no restriction on vegetables type complex carbs) and gluten free, and dairy free, and corn free, and soy free, and peanut free, and mostly legume free, and processed foods free, and artificial ingredients free, and mostly sugar free...

all at the same time

And adding turmeric done in the proper with heat and oil and pepper way or via a supplement supposed to be bioactive, and vitamins, minerals and other supplements that seem helpful...

Edited by Pen