Menu

Picard - Spoilers after first post

TechWife

I will be subscribing to CBS all access, for sure! 

There were a couple of other pieces of info dropped at ComicCon that weren’t part of the trailer. Riker and Troi will be in at least one episode, and Hugh, the Borg drone will make an appearance as well. There is also a character with the name of Spock. I think it might be the woman that is “in serious danger,” and is perhaps a granddaughter of Spock. My husband disagrees, he says Spock didn’t have any children. Spock had a brother & it wasn’t mentioned if he had any kids, so that’s a possibility, too. 

We rewatched Nemesis last night for the first time since it came out. It was better than we remembered. I suppose the Data that is in the new series will be D4. 

The series is eight episodes at this time. They are still filming, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plum said:

Squee!!!

We're planning on rewatching TNG. My middle and youngest need to refresh. They watched it and remember the characters and even recognized 7 of 9, but I'm sure the storylines went over their heads. We should be done by the time Picard rolls around. 😂

I'm also excited about Discovery. It's now set farther in the future than any ST series. 

seven of nine is from voyager.  one of the best things about that show...

• Like 2

So where was I just hearing that the irony of the cord cutters is that all the best content will now be paid on private channels you have to select, making it even more in the end, haha. Sounds like CBS got a winner with this one. So how big is the hit for their All Access? And what happens if you don't pay? Will it show up in your cable box on demand or is paying them (or amazon) literally the ONLY way? And why pay for all access if you don't want the rest and lose access after you cancel? Might be cheaper to wait and buy the complete series.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

So where was I just hearing that the irony of the cord cutters is that all the best content will now be paid on private channels you have to select, making it even more in the end, haha. Sounds like CBS got a winner with this one. So how big is the hit for their All Access? And what happens if you don't pay? Will it show up in your cable box on demand or is paying them (or amazon) literally the ONLY way? And why pay for all access if you don't want the rest and lose access after you cancel? Might be cheaper to wait and buy the complete series.

Pretty much what I was starting to write!  Not sure if my family will be willing to wait.......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I watched the first episode of Star Trek  Discovery when it was free -- loved it but it was so much darker than the others and I wasn't willing to get the subscription.   It was visually beautiful.

I am very excited about this, even though it also looks dark.  So many old "friends"  🙂   I'm planning to get a subscription to CBS Access when it gets closer. 

• Like 2

Picard was my favorite too; I grew up on TNG.   I'm not sure about the new series, though.  I'm not generally a fan of the female fighter is the best most amazing fighter in the universe trope, honestly (being as how it makes zero biological sense and feels like a social program/message)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Because the real Trek fans will not be able to wait. The idea is anathema to me. And I did not watch Discovery. But this, this we will get All Access for. 

1 hour ago, moonflower said:

Picard was my favorite too; I grew up on TNG.   I'm not sure about the new series, though.  I'm not generally a fan of the female fighter is the best most amazing fighter in the universe trope, honestly (being as how it makes zero biological sense and feels like a social program/message)

Do you mean Seven of 9? She's borg, that's why she's such an amazing fighter. (doesn't explain why she wears heels though)

As an aside, for those who are die hard Star Trek fans but disappointed in many of the newer versions that feel more action adventure than Star Trek/Sci Fi, I highly recommend The Orville. It was supposed to be a spoof on Star Trek, but it is WAY more sci fi than the actual Star Trek ideations of late. Fantastic science fiction, but with humor. My absolute favorite show. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Because the real Trek fans will not be able to wait. The idea is anathema to me. And I did not watch Discovery. But this, this we will get All Access for. 

Do you mean Seven of 9? She's borg, that's why she's such an amazing fighter. (doesn't explain why she wears heels though)

As an aside, for those who are die hard Star Trek fans but disappointed in many of the newer versions that feel more action adventure than Star Trek/Sci Fi, I highly recommend The Orville. It was supposed to be a spoof on Star Trek, but it is WAY more sci fi than the actual Star Trek ideations of late. Fantastic science fiction, but with humor. My absolute favorite show. 

Seven of 9 is not the female fighter.  It is a new character for this series.   But Seven of 9 makes an appearance.  There's a definite hint of Borgs showing up.  

• Like 1

The Orville is a great show.  The first few episodes are a little more out there than subsequent ones so don't give up on it too fast if that's not your thing.

CBS All Access does have episodes free at some point.  I'm not sure if it's random or there is some consistency to when an episode is available.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

The Orville is a great show.  The first few episodes are a little more out there than subsequent ones so don't give up on it too fast if that's not your thing.

CBS All Access does have episodes free at some point.  I'm not sure if it's random or there is some consistency to when an episode is available.

Thanks for the heads up. I have avoided it because I don't generally like Seth MacFarlane's humor.  

• Like 1

Ooh.  This is exciting.  PIcard is my absolute favorite TV character. 

I didn't get the impression that the girl is going to be the "best fighter/save the universe" character, but something more ambiguous.  And fighting isn't all about strength, it is about quickness, strategy, quick-thinking, skill, psychology ... as long as you have room to use those skills.  In tight quarters, brute strength usually wins.  At my kids' karate studio, I've seen teeny tiny women take down men who were twice their weight and at equal belt rank.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moonflower said:

I didn't get that from the trailer at all. The female fighter bested some people attacking her, yes. But, many female fighters can fight off both men and women, simply because she is better than they are. Some female fighters are better than some male fighters. You would have to be pitting the best female fighter against the best male fighter for your trope to be applicable. I doubt hand to hand combat is going to be a huge feature in the series.

TNG and Voyager were both full of social messages. They tackled quite a few social issues long before the culture at large addressed them and some have yet to be addressed. Social issues and the Star Trek franchise are not strangers by any means.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I watched the first episode of Star Trek  Discovery when it was free -- loved it but it was so much darker than the others and I wasn't willing to get the subscription.   It was visually beautiful.

I am very excited about this, even though it also looks dark.  So many old "friends"  🙂   I'm planning to get a subscription to CBS Access when it gets closer. 

We didn't like the episode of Discovery that we saw. It seemed over sexualized to us, not Star Trek at all. Having heard/read some plot lines, I don't think we have missed anything.

The thing is, to keep the franchise going, they can't continuously put this stuff behind a paywall. At some point, there is going to have to be movie release or shows available on network television. People want to watch the episodes over and over, not just once. Otherwise, they are not going to grow their audience and eventually, the fans will literally die off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fifiruth said:

Ugh, this one seems like a Star Wars story line. The reluctant old master having to return because he’s needed. The young woman who can fight like the best of them tracks him down to beg him to return and help her/everyone, and is herself special for some elusive reason. 

We are cord cutters and will wait for it to become available to check out of the library. I’ll look forward to seeing it then. Patrick Stewart was the best franchise captain IMHO. 

He doesn't seem reluctant to me at all. Far from it. He says he has never felt at home on earth, even though he has tried.

20 minutes ago, TechWife said:

He doesn't seem reluctant to me at all. Far from it. He says he has never felt at home on earth, even though he has tried.

here's where they messed up - the house was supposedly destroyed in a fire that killed his brother and family.

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

So where was I just hearing that the irony of the cord cutters is that all the best content will now be paid on private channels you have to select, 1. making it even more in the end, haha. Sounds like CBS got a winner with this one. So how big is the hit for their All Access? And what happens if you don't pay? 2a. Will it show up in your cable box on demand or is paying them 2b. (or amazon) literally the ONLY way? 3. And why pay for all access if you don't want the rest and lose access after you cancel? Might be cheaper to wait and buy the complete series.

I'm responding to the each of the parts I bolded, which I numbered. I do miss being able to split a quote. I still haven't figured out how to do that even though the forum upgrade happened - how long ago now?

1- Not really, but then I guess it depends on what you want to watch. We cut the cord years ago (I don't remember anymore but maybe 7 or 8 years ago). We already subscribe to Amazon Prime and Netflix, which we would do anyway. We added Hulu, AcornTV, and Britbox. We sometimes buy a season of a show if we don't want to wait. For example, before we quit watching The Walking Dead we used to buy the current season. We'd get each episode the day after it aired but that was better than waiting for the whole season to stream. We temporarily added HBO this year to one of our services too, just for Game of Thrones. We kept it long enough to also watch Chernobyl, then canceled. 

With all of that above we STILL don't pay what it would cost us to have cable or satellite and a bunch of channels we don't even watch. 

2a and 2b - It looks like this will be available on Amazon the day after it airs on CBS All Access.  In this case, instead of buying the season you'd subscribe to CBS All Access (like we did with HBO for GoT). That's probably how we'll watch it. We'll compare it to the price of adding the CBS app to our Roku for the time needed, and then decide. 

3 - Because during the time you subscribe to the extra service there are a bunch of other shows/movies you can watch that you wouldn't normally have access to. Buying the series once (if) it becomes available might be the cheaper way to go if you're willing to wait. Those of us who cut the cord are used to waiting for most things anyway, with a few exceptions as I noted above. The chance you take there is when or if CBS will make it available for purchase. 

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

here's where they messed up - the house was supposedly destroyed in a fire that killed his brother and family.

They didn't say he was living in the exact same house. He went home to take care of the family vineyard. Obviously, houses can be rebuilt, even to look like they are older than they are.

3 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I

2a and 2b - It looks like this will be available on Amazon the day after it airs on CBS All Access.  In this case, instead of buying the season you'd subscribe to CBS All Access (like we did with HBO for GoT). That's probably how we'll watch it. We'll compare it to the price of adding the CBS app to our Roku for the time needed, and then decide.

It's my understanding that it will be available through Amazon Prime internationally, but not in the US. In the US, it will be only CBS All Access.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, TechWife said:

We rewatched Nemesis last night for the first time since it came out. It was better than we remembered. I suppose the Data that is in the new series will be D4. 

That's possible, although I thought Picard was with Data on the holodeck. At one point he says "I don't want the game to end" so I thought Data was simulated. 

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

Thanks for the heads up. I have avoided it because I don't generally like Seth MacFarlane's humor.  

MacFarlane is a huge Star Trek fan, since he was a kid. He wanted to make something that honored Star Trek but was still his own. The series, while a bit of a dramedy, has grown into more of a sci-fi drama. And it's really pretty good. It's definitely not Live-Action-Family-Guy-in-Space (although there was a Family Guy Star Trek episode or two). 

ETA: The first two seasons are on Hulu. From what I read, the third season will go straight to Hulu rather than air on Fox. 

30 minutes ago, TechWife said:

It's my understanding that it will be available through Amazon Prime internationally, but not in the US. In the US, it will be only CBS All Access.

Yeah, I should have been more clear. We can add CBS All-Access to our Amazon account, like we added HBO to our Hulu account. Currently the "deal" is $2.99 for 3 months, then $5.99 a month after that. I haven't looked at how much All-Access is on its own, nor do I know if that deal will still be available on Amazon once the show airs. So, if we did Amazon we'd actually still be watching it on CBS, just not on its stand alone app. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

That's possible, although I thought Picard was with Data on the holodeck. At one point he says "I don't want the game to end" so I thought Data was simulated. 

MacFarlane is a huge Star Trek fan, since he was a kid. He wanted to make something that honored Star Trek but was still his own. The series, while a bit of a dramedy, has grown into more of a sci-fi drama. And it's really pretty good. It's definitely not Live-Action-Family-Guy-in-Space. 

Yeah, I should have been more clear. We can add CBS All-Access to our Amazon account, like we added HBO to our Hulu account. Currently the "deal" is $2.99 for 3 months, then $5.99 a month after that. I haven't looked at how much All-Access is on its own, nor do I know if that deal will still be available on Amazon once the show airs. So, if we did Amazon we'd actually still be watching it on CBS, just not on its stand alone app. 

Oh, I hadn't thought of the holodeck - good idea. We will see!

I didn't know it was possible to add CBS All Access to our Prime account - thank you so much for that info! Hopefully that deal will still be around. Do you know if it matters what DVR you have? We currently have a TiVo, but will probably have to switch to Apple TV when we move to our new house due to some technical issue that we are currently still trying to wrap our minds around. As an aside - building a modern day entertainment system is  a lot harder than it should be - there are a lot of compatibility issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

There are a few goofy things, but it is NOT like say, Family Guy or something, which is way too crass for me. 

1 hour ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Ooh.  This is exciting.  PIcard is my absolute favorite TV character. 

I didn't get the impression that the girl is going to be the "best fighter/save the universe" character, but something more ambiguous.  And fighting isn't all about strength, it is about quickness, strategy, quick-thinking, skill, psychology ... as long as you have room to use those skills.  In tight quarters, brute strength usually wins.  At my kids' karate studio, I've seen teeny tiny women take down men who were twice their weight and at equal belt rank.  

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

I didn't get that from the trailer at all. The female fighter bested some people attacking her, yes. But, many female fighters can fight off both men and women, simply because she is better than they are. Some female fighters are better than some male fighters. You would have to be pitting the best female fighter against the best male fighter for your trope to be applicable. I doubt hand to hand combat is going to be a huge feature in the series.

TNG and Voyager were both full of social messages. They tackled quite a few social issues long before the culture at large addressed them and some have yet to be addressed. Social issues and the Star Trek franchise are not strangers by any means.

Also, she's possibly not human, so biology has nothing to do with it at that point...it's not like it's reality based 🙂  I mean, on The Orville the strongest character on the ship is female, but she's from a planet with incredibly strong gravity so her species is just incredibly strong. And yes on the social issues - that's why I love the Orville! SciFi has always done that, part of why I love it. (and why I'm a Star Trek fan, not Star Wars, which to me is more action not science fiction)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

st-tos tackled *a lot* of social issues, and were very cutting edge when they originally aired.

7 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I was wondering if the female is Data's daughter that was destroyed so long ago? Not sure why my brain went there - I forget her name. 

I wondered about that too.  her name was "Lal".

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Oh, I hadn't thought of the holodeck - good idea. We will see!

I didn't know it was possible to add CBS All Access to our Prime account - thank you so much for that info! Hopefully that deal will still be around. Do you know if it matters what DVR you have? We currently have a TiVo, but will probably have to switch to Apple TV when we move to our new house due to some technical issue that we are currently still trying to wrap our minds around. As an aside - building a modern day entertainment system is  a lot harder than it should be - there are a lot of compatibility issues.

We've never actually had a dvr or TiVo, or any other digital recorder, so I can't help you there. As for Amazon, there are several subscriptions you can add, including Britbox, HBO, Acorn, and even PBS Passport. We support our local PBS station so we use the standalone app, and we also have separate subscriptions for the two British apps, but we use Amazon or Hulu when we want temporary access to a network.

30 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

st-tos tackled *a lot* of social issues, and were very cutting edge when they originally aired.

Yes, they did and yes they were. They probably would have gone further if not for network interference. Also, Roddenberry's view of the future was optimistic. That might be why people who are fans of the earlier series (ToS and TNG) don't care for the darker Discovery.

http://screenprism.com/insights/article/how-did-star-trek-reflect-1960s-sentiments-about-war-peace-and-other-social

Edited by Lady Florida.

35 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Yes, they did and yes they were. They probably would have gone further if not for network interference. Also, Roddenberry's view of the future was optimistic. That might be why people who are fans of the earlier series (ToS and TNG) don't care for the darker Discovery.

http://screenprism.com/insights/article/how-did-star-trek-reflect-1960s-sentiments-about-war-peace-and-other-social

they didn't do much with studying demographics for tv viewership - that came later.  in retrospect they learned the demographic they wanted (re: the one merchants would pay big $$$ for advertising to reach) - were the ones watching.  they also kept changing its time slot.

I read a first hand account of the very first star trek convention in 1973? - they were getting various media calling them up demanding to know why they weren't told and could they send someone over to interview them?  there were rumors representatives from nbc came (the network that cancelled ST) - and left before they could be lynched.

to put in perspective - the network executives *hated* the peanuts Christmas special. (too religious)  but it was already on the schedule so they felt like they had to go ahead and air it.  it had record ratings, and came back every year.

eta: I grew up with tos- as I go back and watch NG - I realize there are a lot of episodes I have zero desire to see again, whereas there are tos eps I can easily rewatch.  I've never watched discovery.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

only slightly off topic.  I'm curious why you stopped.

YMMV but we felt it had a progressive agenda.  Then there was one particular s*x scene that I thought was pretty graphic. That was the end for me. 

We always loved Star Trek before.  

• Like 1

I'd like to see this, Picard was also my favourite captain.  But I won't be subscribing to a new service.  As an aside, from what I understand the streaming service thing is about to explode and there will soon be enough big ones that it won't save much from the old cable days.  I suspect a lot of people will pirate.

I didn't like Discovery at all, FWIW and I really tried, I watched all of season one, and in the end most of two as well.