Menu

Going back to work - an encouraging discussion

BlsdMama

The question is *not* "Should Kelly go back to work?" That's a discussion for DH and I to have.  And I have an appointment with a lawyer who specializes in this kind of thing in August.
I'll add the caveat that there is not a person in this house that believes our quality of life will improve by Mommy getting a job.  That said, that attitude is probably a luxury so I'd prefer to not have to defend it.

Why we would entertain it:
1. I am not eligible for disability because half of work credits must be earned in the past ten years.  We don't need the $$ from it....
However, if the new company (DH's company was acquired) has an OOP maximum, we're in trouble.  I *need* the health insurance that comes with disability.  
2. It's obvious the kids will need to transition at some point.  Private Christian school will run us about $25k.  That's not in the budget unless it's my salary.

So why work?
Longterm disability insurance and, if all goes well, qualifying for disability, assuming I can keep working for four years.

While it is very hard for me to do the crazy active lifestyle that comes from taking care of 9 kids, cleaning a big house, caring for an acreage, garden, and farm animals... Sitting and typing is a piece of cake.

Pros:
3 classes away from a useless bachelor's.  (It was online, from our state flagship, and I never intended for it to be terminal - very high GPA.)
I took an insane amount of writing classes.
I interview well.

Problem:

What in the WORLD am I qualified to do?
The most beneficial place to work would be DH's company - large aerospace industry. Massive benefits which, because DH works there, I already receive so I wouldn't need their med. insurance.
  I "feel" like I am qualified for more than an order admin., but tech writers need to be able to read engineering drawings.  
Largely handicap accessible and friendly to it.

I do feel as though there are places I'd rather work (like our local University or the Christian school) if all I'm going to do is be a secretary.  But I really only need ANY job that offers long-term disability insurance and can cover the kids' tuition - so I'm telling myself it doesn't matter if it's not intellectually stimulating.  Still... I *DO* have a bachelor's as of December.  Does that count for anything at all???

How do I sort this out?

I got a bachelor's degree in Math, also had excellent writing skills, and my first job was as a Contract Administrator.  I wrote contracts (based on boilerplates) and edited them.  Made copies, mailed them.  Later, I worked as an Administrative Assistant and a Management Assistant.  Really, those were secretarial jobs but paid better than secretary.  I liked it.  And because I had good writing skills, I did first drafts of letters and reports for my bosses and took great meeting minutes.  So my suggestion would be the Administrative Assistant jobs.  HTH

I'll add we have one community college here, two private colleges, the University is 45-50 minutes away (so not ideal).  Two hospitals, and a few very large employers.   We live 15 minutes from a major city so commute is super easy and low stress.

While we live in rurally, the truth is that we have great schools (public) and I'm okay with the youngest four going to the elementary school, but I want DD12, DD10 in private Christian school.  The oldest three will finish homeschooling.  They are awesome kids, do what they need to with accountability, and two of them are starting community college this fall anyway.

At the university we live near, benefits kick in at 20.5 hours per week. Maybe look into some place like that, given all that you have going on at home? The large hospitals might have a similar requirement.

FWIW, people I've known who have gone back to work even after much shorter times out of the work force have started with somewhat boring work but then were able to use that as a pivot to something more compelling.

Emily

Honestly, if you haven't worked for many years and you don't have your BA yet,  I would just start casting my net far and wide and take what I can get.  When I hadn't worked for 10 years, even though I had the qualifications necessary, I took a job I really didn't want because that was what I could get with so many years of not working.  I did that for a year, and then was able to get a job I wanted more.

• Like 4

In my experience, you can always start out in an administrative assistant type position.  If you're good, you'll likely have opportunities to move up to positions with more and more responsibility and more pay, within the company.  That was my experience right after college, and has been the experience of many people I know.  I made sure to start within a company that I really liked and wanted to work with awhile.  I'm glad I did.  

Can you get long-term disability insurance with a pre-existing condition?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Honestly, if you haven't worked for many years and you don't have your BA yet,  I would just start casting my net far and wide and take what I can get.  When I hadn't worked for 10 years, even though I had the qualifications necessary, I took a job I really didn't want because that was what I could get with so many years of not working.  I did that for a year, and then was able to get a job I wanted more.

I will stipulate that, in theory, the job market is a whole lot better than it was five years ago when I dipped my toe back into the pool. However, in practice I agree with Dawn.

I was home with the kids, with the exception of three years of part-time retail stuff that I don't even claim on my resume, for almost 20 years. I have a B.A. and had about 10 years of professional experience PK (pre-kids). I started with part-time, online tutoring that paid (functionally) just about minimum wage. I did that for a year, then parlayed that into part-time, in person tutoring at a strip mall center that paid $10/hour. Over the next couple of years, I juggled the two tutoring gigs along with a stint as a substitute teacher until I got a job I really wanted. Even then, it was part-time, and it took me about 18 months to transition to full-time.

So, for me, it took about three years of effort and hustle to build up to a "real job" with benefits that I liked and that paid something like a living wage. 

Now, again, the market seems a lot different now. In just the last few months, I have been offered two jobs with significantly higher salaries than I was making before. So you might find the on-ramp much more accessible than it was for me in 2014.

2 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Why we would entertain it:
1. I am not eligible for disability because half of work credits must be earned in the past ten years.  We don't need the $$ from it....
However, if the new company (DH's company was acquired) has an OOP maximum, we're in trouble.  I *need* the health insurance that comes with disability.  
2. It's obvious the kids will need to transition at some point.  Private Christian school will run us about $25k.  That's not in the budget unless it's my salary.

So why work?
Longterm disability insurance and, if all goes well, qualifying for disability, assuming I can keep working for four years.

Pros:
3 classes away from a useless bachelor's.  (It was online, from our state flagship, and I never intended for it to be terminal - very high GPA.)
I took an insane amount of writing classes.
I interview well.

Problem:

What in the WORLD am I qualified to do?
The most beneficial place to work would be DH's company - large aerospace industry. Massive benefits which, because DH works there, I already receive so I wouldn't need their med. insurance.
  I "feel" like I am qualified for more than an order admin., but tech writers need to be able to read engineering drawings.  
Largely handicap accessible and friendly to it.

I do feel as though there are places I'd rather work (like our local University or the Christian school) if all I'm going to do is be a secretary.  But I really only need ANY job that offers long-term disability insurance and can cover the kids' tuition - so I'm telling myself it doesn't matter if it's not intellectually stimulating.  Still... I *DO* have a bachelor's as of December.  Does that count for anything at all???

How do I sort this out?

I would prioritize the order admin job at dh's work, particularly if they tend to be on board with hiring friends and family. Once you are settled in and get a feel for what full-time work looks and feels like now, you can decide to either stay in that job or pursue another one. The Christian school is less likely to have other options if you start in a secretarial/admin type position, and will almost certainly pay a lot less. The university may pay better than the Christian school and have more options for other jobs in the future, you would need to compare it to dh's company. 

Start sorting it out by sending in applications! See who calls you in for an interview and what they have to say. Don't try to make a decision before you even apply. 

Yes, your bachelor's degree does count for something, many jobs require a degree even if it's wholly unrelated to the job at hand. 

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

Two hospitals 

Good-sized hospitals tend to offer the ability to move up and/or change departments after you get started, I'd apply there for sure. 

Don't try to figure out the ideal place to work in theory, just start applying and see what happens. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 3

I have not read all the replies yet, so maybe this is answered. But what about working for the public school system? At least here, they have the best benefits out of anyone. And it would give you more comfort with having your kids in those public schools if need be, if you know people and have connections.I have not read all the replies yet, so maybe this is answered. But what about working for the public school system? At least here, they have the best benefits out of anyone. And it would give you more comfort with having your kids in those public schools if need be, if you know people and have connections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, what is your degree going to be in? My DH is the kind of person who knows everyone, everywhere. Or knows someone who knows someone. I’m happy to have him brainstorm on this and see if he knows anyone who would have a good suggestions. And I believe I have extended family in the area that you’re in now so I can pick their brains as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

After thirteen years at home, I took the first job available, did some training while there, then took another job before finally ending up where I wanted to be. As your timescale is shorter I think you need to be even more flexible. FWIW, I don't find my current job thrilling, I have a Master's, and I'm barely making what I made 22 years ago in salary. It is low stress though, which I value.

Edited by Laura Corin

50 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

A degree only qualifies a person on paper, it doesn't mean the person is actually qualified (or *not* qualified) to do a particular job.

It may not, but some jobs do require it either to get the job or to move up.

My sister does not have a degree.  She only has one semester of college under her belt.  She spent years as a SAHM, and then for 7 yrs she owned her own business before she sold it.  Her business was a cake shop.

Now.....she trains call center reps for the state department of revenue.   And the only reason she works there are the health benefits.  She wouldn't have sold her cake shop if her family could have found affordable health insurance otherwise (her DH works for a company exempt from being required to provide health insurance)

Years ago, I was a travel agent.  With absolutely no experience and a non relevant degree in education.  I spent 5 years booking resorts in Orlando, plane tickets to LA, etc.  I had literally actually NO experience booking any sort of travel at all.  BTW....benefits at that job were great, Free Vacations!  I was in a call center.  No physical work required.

Did you get health insurance at that job?  Good benefits sound great!

A previous poster mentioned working for the school system.  One thing you might consider is working for the school you plan to send your kids to.  Many private schools offer discounts (even free tuition) to kids of parents who work there.  If you could get the benefits you need, and a discount on tuition, that could give you the best of all worlds.  

It sounded like her kids are already at the school.  

One word of caution.  I was offered a job at a private school.  The kids could have gotten 50% off tuition.  However, the benefits were nowhere near what the school districts offered and I opted to stay in public education.  Just make sure you ask all the questions you need to about benefits before you accept the job, esp. since this is your health involved.  For me, it was more about retirement.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

A degree only qualifies a person on paper, it doesn't mean the person is actually qualified (or *not* qualified) to do a particular job.

That doesn't change the fact that being qualified on paper is critical to landing most jobs, and that having a degree is a common criteria. 

If your teenagers going to christian private school is what you wish for and it costs $25K/child, I would get a job at that school if I were looking for any job and had no strong leaning toward a particular type of profession. Most christian private schools in my area offer free tuition to students of staff members and the flexibility is that you can drop off and pick up your kids at the same time as when you get off work. The cost savings is huge: $75K-post tax if 3 of your kids were to attend the school as opposed to you working elsewhere and paying their fee out of pocket. So, that could be the major consideration because you are looking at any type of job that you can fit into. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, katilac said:

😱

I saw that number quoted upthread and hence used it. I am not sure if she meant $25K for 3 kids or if it was $75K for 3 kids. Both ways, I figure that it is a huge cost savings to not pay that fee by being an employee.

3 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Just because a job "requires" a degree.....that doesn't always mean it *REQUIRES* a degree.  I mean sure, there are some hard and clear lines.  Obviously, no one is going to be a teacher without a teaching license.  But even so, there are sometimes alternative paths.  But, I personally wouldn't let a degree "requirement" deter me unless I was confident of those hard and fast rules.  

Yes, I got great health benefits at that job.  I ended up leaving because my specific manager was a total butt nugget and because I felt the need to be taking pictures again.  

I wasn't sure her kids were already at the school, but even if they are, taking a job there after the kids are enrolled might still make them eligible for discounts.  But, every single private school is different.  I agree that it's important to ask all the right questions and do all the research.  Just offering the idea as a research avenue to pursue.  

Yeah, I just put that out there because I have a friend who does not have a degree and was not able to advance.  He was working in the corporate world and watched a younger, less experienced person with a Theater degree, advance beyond him because of it.  Since the OP is so close, and it sounds like she is planning to finish anyway, it isn't really an issue long term, but might be in getting a job.  

I get bad boss situations......UGH.  I have had my share.

Kelly, maybe you can clear up the costs.....$25k for all your kids, some of your kids, each?????  If you work, will all the kids attend the Christian school?  Does the Christian school offer 100% off tuition?  Ours here vary widely, from 50% off to 30% off to nothing off.  Only one private school gives full tuition breaks but it isn't religious.  

Oh, I take that back, there is a Univ. model school that offers 100% off but there are no health or retirement benefits for teachers as they are considered part time.  They are paid by the hour.

5 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I would say many....but not most.  Career type jobs, probably.  Teachers need a degree on paper (that doesn't make them good teachers though.)  Engineers need a degree on paper (but that also doesn't make them good engineers.)

But many *JOBS* which is mostly what I understand the OP is looking for, actually don't.  And some *say* they need one, but if you can actually *talk* to someone, not so much.  de

Sometimes, a position might require a degree to "outsiders" ie people applying "off the street" but to internal candidates, they aren't necessarily so strict on such a thing.  

Really, overall, what I am trying to say is that it's not absolutely 100% necessary to have a degree to be "qualified" for a job with good enough benefits.  That job might be something that's not a "career" but that's ok.  

Many say "degree preferred" and I would think those would be more apt to take someone without a degree.  However, in the OP's case, I would put, "BA, December, 2019" on her resume and leave it at that.

AFA getting back into the workforce goes, I would cast your net really wide also.  What you are qualified for really varies by geographical location and by company. In some instances, having a degree really matters. I would be aiming for something without a lot of walking around an office. I'd look at: technical writing, social media marketing, HR recruiting---stuff can do seated in a chair, on the phone, and typing....

4 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Still... I *DO* have a bachelor's as of December.  Does that count for anything at all???

How do I sort this out?

34 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I wasn't sure her kids were already at the school, 

Oh, you are right, I didn't read that properly. I thought they were already there.

12 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

If the OP will have the bachelors by December, then sure, it's certainly not going to hurt to have that on the resume.  I am not sure I am clear on the OP's actual degree situation.  

Highlighted the answer about December from her first post.  I think she is saying she will finish in Dec.

2 hours ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

First of all—please understand I am in no way trying to be discouraging. I have always worked and juggled everything.  A large reason that I have stayed employed is for things like social security credits and future disability.  

Before applying anywhere, please check out 1) if the company even offers long term disability, as companies are moving away from any extra benefits as a cost saving measure and 2) if you’d qualify. Pre-existing conditions can no longer be considered for medical insurance but still are a consideration for things like life insurance and long term disability.  The work credits will still be important, but if you’re looking for long term disability insurance through a job, please look carefully.  It may not be a good option for you.  I have Ehlers-Danlos which, along with diabetes, was diagnosed after I had life insurance, but I didn’t think about pursing long term disability insurance.   The EDS has essentially risked me out of purchasing any(and it’s not an option through my job anyway).

Not at all discouraging - useful!  I hadn't thought about pre-existing condition.  I'm not sure - this is important to check into.  So, it's "offered" long-term disability and, my understanding is that it works like health insurance - you are eligible at initial hire or at open enrollment period.  DH has this and so maybe we'll pull up all the info.  This is the major reason we're looking at his place of employment - because we can research what he has before I apply! 😉 DH has both.  He has to pay for the benefit (premiums) but we've always thought it was worth it.

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I have not read all the replies yet, so maybe this is answered. But what about working for the public school system? At least here, they have the best benefits out of anyone. And it would give you more comfort with having your kids in those public schools if need be, if you know people and have connections.I have not read all the replies yet, so maybe this is answered. But what about working for the public school system? At least here, they have the best benefits out of anyone. And it would give you more comfort with having your kids in those public schools if need be, if you know people and have connections.

Nothing available locally.  While we live near a major city, our local school system (if we opted for kids to go public) is a city of about 1500-2000.  I did check their websites for openings, but nothing that would be available to me.  Checked the Christian school as well.

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

After thirteen years at home, I took the first job available, did some training while there, then took another job before finally ending up where I wanted to be. As your timescale is shorter I think you need to be even more flexible. FWIW, I don't find my current job thrilling, I have a Master's, and I'm barely making what I made 22 years ago in salary. It is low stress though, which I value.

The major blessing is that Iowa has insanely low employment.  In all seriousness, as long as I am reasonable about what I apply for, I'm likely to get a call back.  I think I actually can be fairly picky about employers.

34 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I saw that number quoted upthread and hence used it. I am not sure if she meant $25K for 3 kids or if it was $75K for 3 kids. Both ways, I figure that it is a huge cost savings to not pay that fee by being an employee.

Nowhere near $25/per kid, lol.  Yipes.  That would give me a heart attack.  CJ's tuition for college is only $10k!

It's by grade level and first child, second child, third, etc.  So the first is approx $6k (middle school), the second is approximately $5k (middle school) and every child thereafter is $4k.  K and 1 we would probably send locally for now.   The three oldest would stay homeschooling. 

33 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Yeah, I just put that out there because I have a friend who does not have a degree and was not able to advance.  He was working in the corporate world and watched a younger, less experienced person with a Theater degree, advance beyond him because of it.  Since the OP is so close, and it sounds like she is planning to finish anyway, it isn't really an issue long term, but might be in getting a job.  

I get bad boss situations......UGH.  I have had my share.

This is how it is at DH's work.  Salary employees are expected to have a four year degree - it can be ANY degree and completely not relevant, but it must be there on paper.

27 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Kelly, maybe you can clear up the costs.....$25k for all your kids, some of your kids, each?????  If you work, will all the kids attend the Christian school?  Does the Christian school offer 100% off tuition?  Ours here vary widely, from 50% off to 30% off to nothing off.  Only one private school gives full tuition breaks but it isn't religious.  

Oh, I take that back, there is a Univ. model school that offers 100% off but there are no health or retirement benefits for teachers as they are considered part time.  They are paid by the hour.

I checked - no positions available.  I've never seen 100% off for all children, i think that would be unusual.  Let's say, for sake of argument, I get a job for $45k.  $25k for tuition, leaves probably what?  10-15 after taxes-ish?  And that would be relevant because we all know, without a stay at home mommy, costs are higher - clothing, upkeep, extra gas, easier food, eating out.  

25 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Many say "degree preferred" and I would think those would be more apt to take someone without a degree.  However, in the OP's case, I would put, "BA, December, 2019" on her resume and leave it at that.

I think that's a wise way to do it and I expect it would be sufficient.  I looked at some of the hiring reqs yesterday and they said either a BA, BS, or imminent bachelors was acceptable.  So, they are actively seeking people who are close to graduating.  I might want to look at interning?? Hm.

24 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm reading the thread from the perspective that her #1 priority is getting enough credits to qualify for disability, and #2 whatever she earns will go towards the private school tuition.  

I'd love that to be my number one priority, but it is unlikely to happen.  Half the credits needed MUST be within ten years of working.  I need 16 credits.  You can earn a max of four per year.  That's four years of work.  In an ideal world?  I'll keep my arms that long.  But.... hm.

16 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

If the OP will have the bachelors by December, then sure, it's certainly not going to hurt to have that on the resume.  I am not sure I am clear on the OP's actual degree situation.

One thing she did ask though was what she was actually qualified for.  Well, degree aside, she is qualified for whatever she can actually do.  If she has a degree on paper, then sure, put it down.  But in practice, degree or not, she should open up her options very wide, including things that may or may not require particular degrees, if she feels qualified to do the job.  

The degree is a Bachelor of Liberal Sciences from the University of Iowa.  It qualifies me for nothing except graduate school, lol.  I emphasized heavily on communication and writing.  My only interest was to further develop my writing abilities.  I think it works well for HR?  I interview well (or at least I did when I was young, but I find people easy to communicate with and have prepped people for interviews before.)  I speak clearly and concisely and my written abilities are excellent.  I'm proficient with Microsoft Office and I type quickly.  I actually helped DH with his Masters in Logistics from ERAU, but can't put that on paper.  But, boy howdy, if they want to discuss global logistics and risk with various modes of transport, then I'm their girl.  LOL.

13 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

AFA getting back into the workforce goes, I would cast your net really wide also.  What you are qualified for really varies by geographical location and by company. In some instances, having a degree really matters. I would be aiming for something without a lot of walking around an office. I'd look at: technical writing, social media marketing, HR recruiting---stuff can do seated in a chair, on the phone, and typing....

I would actually love contracts admin or tech writing.  I'm unfamiliar with engineering drawings though.  The actual requirement is an AA here! (Desperation) I hadn't thought of anything having to do with marketing, but at least the degree would be semi-relatable or explainable.
I should check to see if they have a tech writer internship available.  They'd pay for my final semester too... BONUS!

10 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

I'd be putting applications in for whatever you qualify for within the commute distance that pays enough to qualify you to earn your SS quarter.  You can always move on.  What my kid did while waiting for his ship to come in was the auto auction...lower level jobs aren't career and a lot of it is just data entry. 

Most jobs though, don't come from applications.  They come from your network.

DH's company is enormous.  Our homeschooling community fathers essentially all work for the same company. 😉  Maybe I should put it out there that I'm looking.
Within a 20 minute commute, the doors are wide open.  I previously worked for GE Capital as a contracts administrator, but wow, that was in 1999!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Oh, you are right, I didn't read that properly. I thought they were already there.

Highlighted the answer about December from her first post.  I think she is saying she will finish in Dec.

Nope, all are homeschooled currently and I'd give my right leg to keep it that way (not really using that leg much anyway, LOL!)  I will graduate in December.  I need 9 credits because I slacked and went part time last semester, lol.

• Like 1

Just to clarify - we live in Iowa.

Everyone and their brother is desperate for employees.  This is in my favor. 😉 

I really can be fairly thoughtful and picky about where to apply.  Huge blessing!

ETA: I assume that while my disability is apparent, that no one can ask specifics? Not that anyone knows what Primary Lateral Sclerosis is.  Spoke to a fella online last week - has had it for 17 years.  Can't walk much now, but the rest of him is still good.  Amazing to me.  

This is overwhelming but this conversation has really helped me see the blessings.  Geez, maybe I should see if the local ALS Association has openings.

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 2

I was curious because of the pre existing condition and asked Dh who has been involved in the benefits field for years.  He advised the biggest company you can find for the benefit package that will be the most accommodating in your situation.....Good luck on the job search. 

29 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Just to clarify - we live in Iowa.

Everyone and their brother is desperate for employees.  This is in my favor. 😉 

I really can be fairly thoughtful and picky about where to apply.  Huge blessing!

ETA: I assume that while my disability is apparent, that no one can ask specifics? Not that anyone knows what Primary Lateral Sclerosis is.  Spoke to a fella online last week - has had it for 17 years.  Can't walk much now, but the rest of him is still good.  Amazing to me.  

This is overwhelming but this conversation has really helped me see the blessings.  Geez, maybe I should see if the local ALS Association has openings.

Since you have homeschooled for a long time, would you be interested in a tutoring job at a tutoring/SAT prep center or a teaching job? Many moms who are looking for jobs locally seem to be going to some CC training courses that qualify them for preschool or regular classroom teaching jobs (the certification or training seems to take a few months). I am not sure what those courses are, but, maybe someone here knows about it and can chime in? For example, one mom that I know of, who had a Marine Biology degree and never worked recently went to work as a 2nd grade science teacher after passing a teacher certification course at my local CC.

Just chiming in to say that I would certainly wait until after Jan 1 to see what the new benefits are as a consequence of the acquisition.  My impression is that there are going to be some significant changes, but that is probably largely based on scuttlebutt.  We’re in the process of navigating a job change between the two companies, and let’s just say that it has not been seamless.  You have so many complications in this decision, that hopefully the new year brings clarity about what might be more necessary.

18 minutes ago, medawyn said:

Just chiming in to say that I would certainly wait until after Jan 1 to see what the new benefits are as a consequence of the acquisition.  My impression is that there are going to be some significant changes, but that is probably largely based on scuttlebutt.  We’re in the process of navigating a job change between the two companies, and let’s just say that it has not been seamless.  You have so many complications in this decision, that hopefully the new year brings clarity about what might be more necessary.

Theoretically this makes sense, but I think since BlsdMama has a limited time frame, she may want to just get the ball rolling. If the acquisition makes working there no longer makes sense, it'll still be easier to find another job coming from the place of already being employed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

CJ's tuition for college is only $10k!

I actually helped DH with his Masters in Logistics from ERAU, but can't put that on paper.  But, boy howdy, if they want to discuss global logistics and risk with various modes of transport, then I'm their girl.  LOL.

Maybe I should put it out there that I'm looking.

Within a 20 minute commute, the doors are wide open.   

Snipped for brevity. 

Side note, but I think every private high school around here has higher tuition than the local public uni (not higher than the private unis by a long shot). 

If the global logistics interests you, you can absolutely put that on paper under the qualifications section or similar. "Familiar with global logistics, including modes of transport" or whatever makes sense and uses the best buzzwords. I would even consider quickly going through a MOOC that most closely matches my knowledge, and then listing it on my resume (with or without certificate, you're just trying to get them to take a second look and call you in for an interview). 

You should definitely put it out there that you're looking, that's how people find jobs! 

If you're not sure you can work 4+ years, and there's low unemployment, I'd start applying right now. I'd probably change the wording on pending graduation date for jobs that don't require the degree (because it won't be one semester if you're working full-time). 4-5 months of work is a substantial chunk of four years and that's what I would prioritize. You can always change jobs once you start. 

3 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Theoretically this makes sense, but I think since BlsdMama has a limited time frame, she may want to just get the ball rolling. If the acquisition makes working there no longer makes sense, it'll still be easier to find another job coming from the place of already being employed.

I agree. It sounds like building work credits is the most important factor. 

I teach at a university and there seems to be an ongoing sort of sifting process with the administrative assistants; the most competent ones regularly move up to better positions.  At this point I fully expect that if my assistant is any good she will be gone in a year, maybe two -- she'll move to the provost's office, or become the coordinator of some center, or something.

Preexisting conditions is definitely something to check closely, though.  I just checked on my (large) university's long-term disability plan and it excludes any conditions for which you have received any treatment (including prescription drugs) for the 3 months prior to effective date of coverage.