Menu

What are your top 5 must reads..

Don't know about top five ever, but here are some recent ones I have enjoyed:

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down.

People of the Book.

Your Inner Fish. (not for creationists, tho!)

Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man Who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam. (You just wouldn't think that a book about goat testicle transplants would be that good. You'd be wrong. This may be the most bizarre book I have ever read, but also one of the most interesting.)

Monique and the Mango Rains : Two Years with a Midwife in Mali

Traffic : Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says about Us)

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher : Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective

Just 5? Well, that's harder than I thought it would be! I decided to pick the ones that "pop out" from different genres:

Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck

The Nine Taylors - Dorothy Sayers

The Parsifal Mosaic - Ludlum

David Copperfield - Dickens

Bridget Jones Diary - Helen Fielding

(its killing me not to suggest Harry Potter, The Golden Compass trilogy, Inkspell trilogy, etc... ;) )

I always have a difficult time answering questions like this. What I may list as my fav. 5 now is only so because I've not read others that may knock them off the list. And life events and mood are such a huge factor in reading for me. I might enjoy a book purely for how I was feeling at the time I read it; escapism reading is a good example.

1. Madam Bovary by Gustav Flaubert. - Reminded me not to live in the dream world of books I mentioned in my statement above :tongue_smilie:

2. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom - Powerful message of faith and love in desperately difficult situations.

3. The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien - Escapism in a fantasticly created fictional world. Love it.

4. War of the Worlds by HG Wells (or The Time Machine... but I prefer WotW) - The passivity of the population until they're pulled directly into the action just wows me. The tale always seems a simple easy read but for me it speaks volumes.

5. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak - A message of "Just do it!" you'll learn and grow, especially if it's something you tried hard to avoid havng to do at first. I just love Zusak's writing.

Phew, that was hard! I don't read much non-fiction so my list is biased towards novels.

I have The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher from the library at the moment but have yet to even glance it. Of course it came after a veeeeeeery long wait and I've got a bunch of other books I'm halfway through, I don't want to stop those to start Mr. Whicher. To see it on your list of top 5 makes me want to get started on it right away though. Ack! *mumbling to self "be strong, finish at least one of the others first... be strong"*

'Nation' by Terry Pratchett

'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel

'A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' by Marina Lewycka

'The Five People You Meet In Heaven' by Mitch Albom

'Slam' by Nick Hornby

Not necessarily my all time top five, but my most recent top five and I think each one of them is a corker!

Just a few of my fav's

One Child, by Torey Hayden. Torey was a teacher of ED kids. This is the story of a year of Torey's teaching, and one child who was abused and neglected--turned out she was a genius. It's just a wonderful book, and Torey is a very readable writer.

Teacher, by Sylvia Ashton Warner. Warner was an innovative teacher in New Zealand who worked with Maori children, teaching reading. Spearpoint is her experiences in an American Open classroom school, and it's a great read, too.

Traveling Mercies, by Anne Lamott --just a terrific, funny and poignant book.

Tale of Desperaux--A wonderful book--a children's book and so much more. Light and Dark, good and bad--a fairytale/fable with a deep, profound message.

There's 5. Not classics or hard to read, just very, very good, imo.

...although I wouldn't necessarily call them "must reads" were:

1) Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen

Fiction about a 21 year old that joined a Depression-era circus interwoven with his 90 year old self musing about the past. The author did lots of research about what these second-rate circuses were like - very vivid.

2) Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill

The author started a company that are like shopping anthropologists - they study shoppers and their behavior. It really opened my eyes to a lot of techniques stores use.

I'm also finally plugging through Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. I have to admit part of the interest lies in seeing how they converted the dialogue and characters into the Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet/Hugh Grant movie. :001_smile:

Erica in OR

From other people's suggestions, I'll second these:

*People of the Book: A Novel by Geraldine Brooks

*The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolkien

Now for my personal favorites over the years (as in, I searched out copies of them to own...I generally use the library instead of buying...and I have read each multiple times over the years)

*The Aztec series by Gary Jennings - there are 4 books, all with the word "Aztec" in the title. Historical fiction.

*The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson - Science Fiction.

*The Source by James A. Michener - Historical Fiction.

*The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - Historical Fiction.

*Wraeththu by Storm Constantine - Fantasy. My copy is the omnibus edition which includes the 3 original books of the series. This book is NOT for everyone, I suggest reading reviews or the back at the very least before you dive in.

Here's a bonus selection by an author already suggested:

*Beautiful Child by Torey Hayden

My old standbys when I need a good read that I KNOW I'll enjoy are the following:

The Harry Potter books

The Anne of Green Gables books

The Merlin "trilogy" by Mary Stewart (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment, and The Wicked Day)

The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy

I also recently read both Atonement (Ian McEwan--absolutely stunning, I highly recommend this) and The English Patient (by Michael Ondaatje, also beautifully written).

As a PP suggested, Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies is also a terrific book, as is her Bird by Bird.

Wow, this is tough. Just off the top of my head...

I agree with To Kill a Mockingbird

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

any Jane Austen novel

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

I saw where someone mentioned A Severe Mercy--I wouldn't have thought to list that one, but having been reminded of it--this is a great suggestion--very moving.

I'll probably think of others (maybe better ones) as soon as I hit "submit".