Menu

What courses for high school history?

What do you dc take for 4 years of history?  Dd has take a year of world geography and a year of American history. I know she will need a semester of civics/government, but what should she take for the other year and a half?  She’s not planning to go into a history relate field, but she is college-bound, so we want to cover all our bases.

A year of world history and a semester of economics is generally what is done, in addition to what you have.

We did a year of Ancient World History, a semester of Medieval World History, a year of Modern World History, a year of U.S. History, a year of World Geography, a semester of Government, and a semester of Economics.  YMMV

Agreeing with perkybunch.  If you're going to do more Social Science courses, then the ones you haven't done that are most frequently required by colleges for admissions would be: 1.0 credit of World History and 0.5 credit of Economics.

Social Science credits typically required by colleges include:
1.0 credit = American History (very frequently required)
1.0 credit = World History and/or World Geography (very frequently required -- some want both; some only want World History)
0.5 credit EACH = Economics and Government (sometimes required)

In addition to those required credits, colleges also very happily accept additional credits in History and Geography, and also these Social Science areas:
Archeology
Anthropology
Sociology
Psychology
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Political Science
Women Studies / Gender Studies / Ethnic Studies

(In contrast, a course in History of Dance, Music, Art, Theatre, etc. is usually counted as a Fine Arts credit.)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Oldest DS did Ancient World History, Medieval/Renaissance World History, US History, and a half credit each of Government and Economics. He was a STEM kid and completely uninterested in any of them except Econ LOL

2nd DS did a half credit each of Government and Economics, a year of Ancient/Medieval World History, a year of US History, and a year of Comparative Government and Politics. He was much more of a history buff.

DD did ancient world history in 8th grade along with her older brother, which we are not counting as a high school credit, so instead of doing world history again in high school, she opted to do world religions and cultures as a freshman, then US History as a sophomore. Probably as a junior and senior she will do a half credit each of Government and Economics and then maybe a sociology course at the cc.

No matter what his/her future plans, I would make sure your kid has an economics course. The Great Courses Economics lectures by Timothy Taylor are the absolute most valuable thing my high schoolers so far have done!

For state university we need 

“Two years of history, including:

• one year of world or European history, cultures and geography (may be a single yearlong course or two one-semester courses), and
  • one year of U.S. history or one-half year of U.S. history and one-half year of civics or American government”

So DS14 opt for European History (done), US History, US government and Economics (macro & micro, 1 credit, done). He is still deciding on another social science, probably psychology. 

Since next year is an election year, we plan to do US govt for both kids in 2019/20.

DS13 has picked World History, US History, US government and Economics (macro & micro, 1 credit, currently in summer school) and Psychology.

OP, keep in mind it doesn't have to be history.  She can study any social studies/social sciences course.  You probably already know that, since she's covering geography.

World history

European history

Current Events

Economics

Psychology 

FWIW, my dc have found a good understanding of world/European history from the Age of Exploration through today to be helpful in college, in a variety of courses.  

19 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Agreeing with perkybunch.  If you're going to do more Social Science courses, then the ones you haven't done that are most frequently required by colleges for admissions would be: 1.0 credit of World History and 0.5 credit of Economics.

Social Science credits typically required by colleges include:
1.0 credit = American History
1.0 credit = World History or World Geography
0.5 credit EACH = Economics and Government

In addition to those required credits, colleges also very happily accept additional credits in History and Geography, and also these Social Science areas:
Archeology
Anthropology
Sociology
Psychology
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Political Science
Women Studies / Gender Studies / Ethnic Studies

(In contrast, a course in History of Dance, Music, Art, Theatre, etc. is usually counted as a Fine Arts credit.)

Is Ancient world history enough to satisfy a world history requirement?  Or must this credit be more general and not restricted to ancient history?  DD has 1 ancient world history credit and  0.5 Middle Ages history credit.  OP, sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought this question fit into the general conversation here.

2 hours ago, Reefgazer said:

Is Ancient world history enough to satisfy a world history requirement?  Or must this credit be more general and not restricted to ancient history?  DD has 1 ancient world history credit and  0.5 Middle Ages history credit.  OP, sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought this question fit into the general conversation here.

That works great! Sounds like she has a total of 1.5 credits of World History . (:D We had something sort of similar:
1.0 credit = History: American
1.0 credit = History: Ancient World
1.0 credit = History: 20th Century World
0.5 credit = Elective: Church History

World History means any time period -- either concentrating on a short time period, doing all of it, or something in between. Examples:
- choice to focus on just one time period (20th century World History)
- choice of time span and area of the world (History of the Middle East, 600AD to 1600AD)
- choice to do the whole broad stretch of World History (pre-History to present)

I disagree that a half credit of government and econ each are the standard. I read not that long ago that some version of civics is required in less than half of states and some that require it only require a half credit or work some civics (econ, government, citizenship) into their US history credit rather than making it a full credit. Some states and unis will expect to see it - others won't. Always check the potential schools your student is considering. Which is not to say you shouldn't do that or that it's uncommon, just that I don't think it's anywhere near as much of a "must do" as having a US history and a world history credit.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

Our state university only requires 3 credits in any social studies, arts, and humanities. We have to do history of US, world, and PA, plus civics and geography, sometime between 7th and 12th grade, but we don't need full credits of any of those. We do need 3 full credits of any social science. So, I mostly let my kids pick what they want. DD did medieval world history, European history from Renaissance onward, and US, with probably ancient on top for next year. She wasn't interested in economics or government. My rising 9th grader is doing ancients next year, and we will see after that. 

The plan for my DS (rising 10th) is: 1 year of World History Ancient through Medieval; 1 year of World History Medieval to Modern; 1 year of US History; 1 semester of Introductory Economics; 1 semester of Government; and 1 year of whatever he is interested in likely some sort of comparative political science theory/ideology/government class. He also will be taking a semester of Personal Finance at some point but, for planning purposes, I consider that more under the category of elective credits.

My DS  started his high school social studies classes in 8th grade by accelerating at our home school coop so he has finished two high school credits already although he is only going into 10th grade. Next year he will take a year of American History which typically is an 11th grade class here.  DS loves history so that is why I think he will take something every year, 8th through 12th grade (5 credits). Otherwise,  in our local schools, typically 3 credits are required for "standard" high school graduation, and 4 credits for a "college prep" program of study.

Edited by CAtoVA

We're big History fans so our typical line-up looks like this:

World Geography/History - 1 credit (9th)
Ancient/World (which one depends on dc's interest) - 1 credit (10th)
U.S. 1 - 1 credit (11th)
Government/Civics - .5 credit (11th)
U.S. 2 - 1 credit (12th)
Economics - .5 credit (12th)

They take Psychology but I count that as an elective.

20 hours ago, Reefgazer said:

Yes.  I did

World History: Ancient, 1.0 credits, grade A. 

I also did

World History: Medieval, .5 credits, grade A.

• Like 1

You're probably going to want some sort of world history.  I'd either do a year of prehistory - present or focus on modern history.  If the student has had a WTM history education up until this point (so world history twice already), you might want to pick an area or two to dive deeply into--the twentieth century, say or the Middle East or communism, or whatever is of interest.  The descriptions for courses like these might say something like "This advanced course was designed for a student with a high school level knowledge of world history."

• Like 2

DD 1- Geography 1 credit, American History 1 credit, Government. .5 or 1 credit (DE, do depends on how I decide to count it).  She plans to take a few other DE history courses, but not sure the exact ones yet.

DD2 - World History 1 credit, US History 1 credit, then we will see.  At least Government and .5 Economins.