Menu

A poll for SINGERS

Suzanne in ABQ

Singers: do you prefer listening to instruments that match your voice part?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Please select the option that most closely matches your thoughts on this. Comments welcome!

• I wouldn't call myself a "singer", but I like to sing in the shower and in the car, and I really like polls.
    • I am a singer, and when I am listening to solo instruments, I prefer listening to instruments that play in the same range as my singing voice.
    • I am a singer, but I have not noticed that I have a preference for instruments that play in the same range as my singing voice.
    • I don't sing, but I have noticed this phenomenon in other people.
    • Awww, a kitten!

I have a theory, and I want to do a poll to find out if it holds any water at all.  So far, I have only interviewed four subjects (myself and my three dc), and it seems plausible for all of us.  I'm wondering whether it is true for other singers as well.

My theory is threefold:
1) Humans (and perhaps other animals as well), each have individual, physically resonant frequency ranges (frequencies which naturally resonate in their body)
2) Each person's singing range (soprano, alto, tenor, bass) is associated with that resonant frequency (either causal or consequential)
3) Each singer's preferred listening range for solo instruments matches their singing range (tessitura).

I sing soprano.  I have a wide vocal range, but my voice naturally resonates most in my high register.  I have noticed that when I am listening to instrumental solos, I have a strong preference for oboe over clarinet, and violin over viola.  Yesterday, I was at a rosary and before it started, they had an instrumental version of Ave Maria playing softly in the background, on continuous loop.  The verses alternated between a solo clarinet and a solo oboe, with piano accompaniment.  Every time the clarinet was playing, I was wishing it would just stop so I could hear the oboe again.  Likewise, I have notice that when I'm listening to a viola solo, the sound grates on me viscerally, and I just want to leave the room.  I'd much rather listen to a violin.  I don't have this problem with tenor or bass instruments, just alto ones, even when expertly played.

I interviewed my children, who are all singers, to see what they think.  

My dd, a contralto, hates high pitched instrument like piccolo or ukulele, but she loves saxophone and cello.
My son, a tenor, absolutely loves the cello and bari-sax.
My youngest dd, who's voice hasn't really settled yet, doesn't have a preference.
My dh, not a singer, could only contribute that he knew a dog who would always howl (sing) along with Gordon Lightfoot.  :biggrin:

I'm wondering whether this preference for instruments of similar tessitura is true of other singers as well.  Do we all tend to be attracted to instruments of the same resonant range as our own voice?  And, if so, might there be a physical component (bone structure, something in the ear, etc) that makes it so?  Why do some instruments just seem to set my teeth on edge?  

I created this poll for singers.  

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

Can't say I've noticed a preference overall. The preference is more to do with the kind of piece. My range is wide but mostly soprano. I like a pretty, well performed (not screechy!), descant when the piece calls for it. I love a deep cello. I'm really not that picky 😄 One of my favourite pieces is written for a trombone quartet...

I am a soprano. I love to listen to the cello. I also love things with a beautiful base. Those deep notes give such a lovely foundation for the rest of the music to build upon. 

Listen to Piano Guys and listen for John Schmidt's left hand. Beautiful things he does down there in the base.

Edited by fairfarmhand

It doesn’t hold for me. My favorite instruments to listen to are piano, violin and cello. I also love a cappella ensembles. I mostly hate brass instruments. I don’t like low-tone woodwinds. I don’t love percussion, either. I hate the bass guitar. My singing voice is alto.

I am a singer.  I sing Soprano.  I *love* bass singers and bass players (my dh pays bass guitar). I also love instruments like the cello, clarinet, & viola.  In fact, I took cello for about 3 yrs in my youth.  

I used to hate the violin.  I've learned to enjoy it being in a celtic band with a fiddler.  

• Like 1

Soprano here, but am placed as alto in choirs, long story doesn't matter. Favorite solo instrument to listen to that is usually single line (so, no piano, harp, etc) is the cello, then maybe violin but not sure.

However I think it's an interesting theory and I would wonder if my memory of music is dependent on whether or not it was in my range and I can easily sing it in my head. Idk, maybe it's unrelated, but just trying to see if range compatibility could affect something else...

I'm a singer. Was a soprano, but more a mezzo-soprano now. When I listen to music that I would sing along to, I like it to be within my vocal range. When listening to instrumental music I have no preference. I love super high violin parts, cello, double-bass, oboe - pretty much anything.  Actually, when listening to vocalists, I'm not so keen on sopranos unless they are very skilled and not shrill. It's easier to listen to a tenor or baritone.

I am in no way trained which is why I like listening to an insturment play my part when learning it because it's easier for me, especially harmony. 

But I love variety. A choir is beautiful because all the parts work together. The same with an orchestra or even a band.

I fall in love with insturments when I hear them played well. If I at a later date were tortured by consistant bad playing it can change my mind. I confess I love big band sound and brass and am also glad none of my children have wanted to play brass. 🙂