Menu

Grand Canyon Trip - Any Tips?

hippiemamato3

Feb is a great time to be there due to it being less crowded.  Be prepared for snow.  We stayed in Tusayan both times I have been there.  I have only been to the north rim in the summer and am not sure if you can get in there due to snow in the winter.  Sedona is maybe an hour away or a little longer and is a don't miss if you have time.  Skip Flagstaff IMO.  Drive 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona, it has beautiful views too.

How is the weather? How long will you have? We stayed in Flagstaff and did daytrips. You can actually make it out to Hoover Dam and back in a day if you're crazy. The Verdigris River train ride is nice. Not the one going n/s into the canyon but a different one farther south. There's lots of history with Montezuma's castle, etc. There's a telescope in Flagstaff and great food. Eat breakfast at the Grand Canyon lodge, even if you already ate. If you drive north to Tuba you can see dinosaur stuff and the terrain gets really cool. Wish we had made it to Canyon de Chelle. Sedona is fine. We did Pink Jeep and Hummer tours. Pink Jeep is pretty much iconic, a must-do.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

We just went in November. We didn’t hike but we stayed over night at the Maswik Lodge which was just ok. Their pizza was good. We took our own stuff for breakfast. We did enjoy the views better near Hoppi house than the main area everyone goes to.

We saw elk on our way to take our dog to their kennel. Kids had money for the gift shops which were eh. We went one hour south to Bearizona and LOVED IT. it’s a drive through safari park with bears, wolves etc. and a mini zoo.  And have the most incredible gift shop-kids wished they had saved their money🤨

• Like 1

I only know this because I've been reading for our upcoming trip in July.   You can rent bikes and ride them along the rim using the road that the shuttle uses.   That way you can stop whenever you want.   If you get pooped. you can get on the shuttle and ride the rest of the way.   One direction (I forget which) is mostly downhill, then you ride the shuttle for the return trip.  

The North Rim (higher elevation) is closed between mid-Oct to mid-May, so you'll be looking for info about a visit to the South Rim. Also: if the gov't shut-down continues through next month, it looks like the NPS visitor center and contact stations will be closed, as well as NPS tours and assistance. However, it looks like concessions, vendors, and tram will still be operating. It also looks like campgrounds will still be open, but no personnel for assistance.

February is still winter at the Grand Canyon, so be prepared for the possibility of rain or snow. It is also a higher elevation and easy to sunburn in any season, so bring hats/sunglasses to shade the head/eyes, and sunscreen. If you plan to hike down into the Canyon, trekking poles are very nice. Wear good hiking shoes, and be SURE to take plenty of water, even if only hiking down a few miles, as there is NO water along the way, and if the gov't shut down continues, there may be no services to assist getting you back out in case of dehydration or injury.

If not interested in staying at the Canyon (either the campground or the hotel), you might consider staying in Williams AZ, and taking the train up and back to the Canyon. Also, rather than taking the tram along the Rim, enjoy walking along it and you get a great changing viewpoint all along the way -- and you have the trail virtually to yourselves, as everyone jams onto the tram and rides from one tourist/food stop to the next, lol.  

Here's a good article on the top trails and attractions at Grand Canyon to help you plan your visit there.

What sites (additional to the Canyon) to see can depend on what direction you are coming from, to enjoy things that are "en route". The Canyon is 277 miles long, so planning your approach in advance will maximize what other things you can see along the way. 😉

Some other sites of possible interest in northern AZ:
town of Flagstaff (1.5 hours away) -- college town among the pines; Lowell Observatory, skiing in the nearby mt.
town of Sedona (2 hours away) -- gorgeous red rock setting for this now-touristy/New Age-y town
town of Jerome (2.5 hours away) -- 19th century mining town, now an upscale artist community

Here are some past threads with info on visiting Grand Canyon (and northern AZ):
"Grand Canyon?"
"Please help me plan a family trip to Grand Canyon"
"Grand Canyon trip - questions for those familiar with the area"
"Looking for input/advice on taking a trip to Grand Canyon and other nat'l parks in the area"
"Grand Canyon/Mesa" -- feasible trip for a quick weekend?
"Help me plan my trip: Grand Canyon, NM, and TX"
" 'Must' visit while in Sedona? 'Must' hike at the Grand Canyon?"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Great time to go.  I think in Feb you can still drive to each station instead of taking the bus.   I go every other year or so.  My parents live in Phoenix and my cousin lives in Flagstaff.  I just do day trips though.

How old are your kids?  They have a scavenger hunt thing for younger kids if you start at the main entrance book store.  My kids enjoyed it when they were younger.

My advice is practical for as you make the drive from Flag to the canyon -- it's long and boring and you can't see your goal!  Haha.  When you're visiting something amazing above ground, you can see it for a long time as you approach.  With the canyon, there's nothing to see until you're right there.  So don't get discouraged that last 75 minutes.  Once you're there, it's amazing.  Drive east a little bit to Desert View -- I like that view the best. 

Edited by milovany

Just know that in Feb that it will very likely be cold at the rim, and there could be snow (we used to live north of the GC in Tuba City and would cross country ski at the Grand Canyon.) When I did the (South) rim to river to rim hike with my daughter, it was April and we started in the early AM. Temps were in the mid-30s at that time, in April!

• Like 1