Menu

Grand Canyon?

Zebra

We are taking a trip to the Grand Canyon in May, and staying in Flagstaff.   I'm excited!    

I've never been outside the East Coast zone, so jet lag and a long plane ride will be a new thing for me, lol.   

I am also terrified of the "24 kinds of snakes in the Grand Canyon" I read about in a travel guide.   Phoenix sounds HOT, but Flagstaff sounds more like what I am used to.   I've been to Florida in August, and was never more misraeble in my life.   However, I didn't see one snake or alligator while I was there.

Anyone have any must see, BTDT advice, or thoughts for me?

I haven't worked out what we will do at the Grand Canyon, or the general Flagstaff area.   We are going to spend one day in Sedona.

I'd rather not be lucky and see a pink rattlesnake!   Yikes!

What I consider to be a snake, probably most of you would consider to be "long worms".

I don't recall seeing any scary wildlife there in person.

I've been there several times.  I don't think I've been there in May though.  I hope the weather will be bearable.  I can tell you it's pretty awful in July.  And when we went in November, it was snowing.  So hopefully May is fine.  Hopefully you will see some wildflowers.

I would take a guided tour of some sort for the first time.  I think you'll love it.  There's really nothing quite like the Grand Canyon.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I hiked ¾ of the way across the state and only saw two rattlesnakes (one sleeping, one angry) also two gila monsters which were very cool (also poisonous)! None of those animals are interested in seeing you, so there should be comfort in that.

Yikes! I went to visit my in-laws (Sahurita, south of Tucson) and saw two rattlesnakes in their backyard one vacation!  It is evidently against the law in Arizona to kill them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we did the GC, we stayed outside Flagstaff and took daytrips. GC was one day for us, done. We also drove up and saw the dinosaur tracks that day. We drove out to the Hoover Dam and did a boating trip down the river there, which was amazing. We did a train ride in the Verde Canyon and saw Montezuma's Castle. What do you like to do? Will you be hiking or rafting or muling in the GC? We went in super early and had breakfast on the rim, which was delightful, would definitely recommend.

And no, we saw no snakes while we were there, zero. Now the dropoffs, they're another story! LOL

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

When we did the GC, we stayed outside Flagstaff and took daytrips. GC was one day for us, done. We also drove up and saw the dinosaur tracks that day. We drove out to the Hoover Dam and did a boating trip down the river there, which was amazing. We did a train ride in the Verde Canyon and saw Montezuma's Castle. What do you like to do? Will you be hiking or rafting or muling in the GC? We went in super early and had breakfast on the rim, which was delightful, would definitely recommend.

And no, we saw no snakes while we were there, zero. Now the dropoffs, they're another story! LOL

Gila monsters!   Eeek!

I like eating breakfast.   So maybe we'll do that!

Just got back from the GC a couple of weeks ago. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!  We stayed in Flagstaff at the Hampton Inn. Great, free breakfast. Super nice staff.

In addition to the GC, we spent a couple of hours at the Sunset Crater Volcano. You get to see the lava flows from a 1000yo eruption and can hike to the base of the volcano (1 mi round trip). It was magical!

We hiked to Ooh Aah Point on the South Kaibab trail at the south rim. Took a little under 2 hours, and I am very, very out of shape. :) Kids (age 8-12) LOVED it! This trail is a little wider than most because the mules use this trail, which was cool when they passed. We did take trekking sticks and water backpacks. I can not imagine having skipped the hike now (which we almost did because we were scared it would be too intense). People of all ages and abilities were on the trail. We also drove the Desert View drive that has lots of lookouts along the way. We followed this on our way out of the GC. My only complaint was that crowding made it challenging to park at the lookouts, but it was not impossible. We saw everything along the drive.

We only had one full day for the GC so that is how we spent it. It was the one place on our vacation that we really wanted to stay, to hike and explore more. Pictures just did not do it justice.

I recommend making sure to have snacks with you if you are going when it's crowded. All the facilities were just super packed over early spring break. We tend to get hangry easily so I'm glad we had plenty of snacks in the truck and in our backpacks.

Only wildlife we saw were birds, mules, and squirrels.

Just FYI...The glass bridge is closer to the west rim, Sky Walk?, and costs close to $100 per person to do. You can't just buy a ticket for the bridge. You have to buy a package ticket. Also, we were told by many that you can't wear shoes and or take any possessions on the bridge with you. NO pics or anything.

Just now, EKS said:

If it helps, I've been to the Grand Canyon many times and even went on a river rafting trip for 10 days at the bottom of it, and I've never once seen a snake.

This is what we want to do next! We can't wait to get back!

9 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Isn't there that glass bridge on the Havasupai reservation? If you're okay with heights!

DH loved the Hoover Dam tour because he could make all kinds of Dam(n) jokes and not get in trouble. I rolled my eyes so much I think I sprained one.

DH bought a shirt that says "I walked across the dam bridge". :) The kids were mortified when he wore it. :)

While my dh did the Hoover Dam tour, I went shopping in the little downtown area there. It's really quite charming. We found a little side restaurant to eat in. Actually my funny story is that I asked at the visitor's center where the best place was to eat, and they laughed and are like THE BUFFETS... We didn't, but there you go. I guess we totally missed out.

Definitely do a Pink Jeep tour in Sedona. 

We were at Grand Canyon one year in April and saw no snakes at all. By May, snakes will mostly be in the bushes or tall grass away from the people. As previous posters said, you'll be lucky if you see any snakes, as they avoid people and frequently traveled spots like trails. And again, as stated up thread, stay on the trails and out of bushes/grass, don't stick your hands where you can't see what's there (like under rocks, in crevices, or to pull yourself up on a ledge).

side note: Flagstaff is higher elevation (just under 7000) if you're coming from a coastal or low elevation area, and if so, be prepared to be out of breath easily and *drink lots of water* to avoid getting elevation headaches or sickness. Also wear sunscreen, as you can burn easily in the higher elevation.

If you are staying in Flagstaff several days/nights, enjoy visiting Lowell Observatory (named for Percival Lowell, who discovered Pluto from this observatory). Grand Falls may be flowing. Walnut Canyon is just 10 miles outside of Flagstaff, for Indian ruins, hiking, and seeing southwestern landscapes. If you can splurge the time and money, about 90 minutes from Flagstaff is Winslow AZ (yes, of the Route 66 song!), and there is a really cool La Posada Hotel that was right on the train route to Hollywood, where lots of the stars stayed in the 1930s; it has been restored in its original 1930s Art Deco style, and the Turquoise Restaurant is absolutely outstanding for a special dinner. For eating in Flagstaff, Beaver Street Brewery is fun pub fare and their own beers, right next to the train tracks. There are a number of great Asian food restaurants -- Sosoba is good.

Have fun seeing the Southwest! :)

I've lived in the West most of my life and work in Tuba City, but have yet to go to the Grand Canyon.

There is a tourist thing on the edge of Tuba City where you can see dinosaur tracks. I hear that's pretty cool.

Flagstaff is a mountain town and therefore cooler, but the Canyon is at lower elevation, therefore it is usually hotter there, though in April it should be reasonable. Plan for hot weather (sunscreen, plenty of water). In all the time I've lived in Arizona, I've seen exactly one rattlesnake in the wild--that was at a rest area on the I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix, at around sunset. It was basking on the sidewalk. I would not be more concerned out in the Canyon, just keep eyes open, be noisy, watch where you step, and never stick hands where you can't see.