Menu

Help me plan my trip: Grand Canyon, New Mexico, and TX

abacus2

Oh Great Hive, I beg of your wisdom and experience!

My family (me, hubby, 13,10, and 8 year old girls) are taking a 2 week trip next month out west where none of us have ever been. We will be flying into Albuquerque, New Mexico, driving to TX for a couple day family reunion, then driving back to visit the Grand Canyon, before returning to Albuquerque to fly home. Google Map of our approximate route. I already have an overnight visit reserved in the Grand Canyon Park. We plan to keep our driving pace to no more than 6 hours per day.

What do you recommend that we do while we are there? One high priority we have is stargazing. What observatory or truly dark place should we visit?  

We are out of shape wimps, so I am not interested in intense hikes or athletic endeavors.

My youngest has developed an interest in geology and paleontology. 

We love museums, history, and natural parks. Fun things like amusement parks would be nice too.

Please direct me to the best places and share any tips you have. Thank you!

• Like 2

Dallas and Fort Worth both have excellent art museums. 

You pay per person for most state parks in Texas.

Dinosaur Valley State Park, southwest of Fort Worth is about 90 minutes from Graford. 

Star-gazing at Fort Davis would be too far off your path but is highly recommended. The stars in Texas, away from the cities, are fabulous because of the flatter vistas and fewer shorter trees, wide open countryside. 

Edited by Gaillardia

We have family in Santa Rosa, NM so we've done a big stretch the overlaps with your plans.  I'd recommend the Natural History Museum in Albuquerque.  You're going to drive basically right by the Petrified Forest National Park, so it's definitely worth seeing.  If you're up for adding a bit more driving, Carlsbad Caverns is neat.  The bat flight around sunset was my favorite part of our visit there, but bat season doesn't start until mid-to-late April, so I'm not sure if you would be able to see them.

Stargazing was great pretty much everywhere we went in rural NM. The air is thinner and clearer than I'm used to.

I did Amarillo TX and Albuquerque with my girls last year.

Palo Duro canyon is well worth a 1/2 day or day stop. Second only to the Grand Canyon in size. It was windy there the day we were there. They had lots of neat very short trails/hikes to go on to see various features. This overweight out of shape mom did just fine.

If you can at all do it, Tent Rocks just north of Albuquerque is my all time favorite place to visit. Be aware it is in the middle of nowhere. You drive through Peubloes to get there so be respectful. There are out toilets and NO water of any type (not even a hand pump) and no vending machines, etc so take along lots of water and snacks/lunch. It can get hot so go early in the day. That said, the formations are amazing. We made it to the very top and I am glad we did but the trail is tougher near the top, esp for those who are scared of heights as it is narrow with no guardrails, etc. Even if you only do the bottom section though it is SO worth it.

Closer into Albuquerque are Petroglyphs. We were not that impressed but many people love them.

Old Town in Albuquerque is also worth a visit if you have the time.

The sky in West Texas is amazing. There is an Observatory that you might be able to visit?  The McDonald Observatory is an astronomical observatory located near the unincorporated community of Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas, United States.  

Heres a URL of some other observatories in TX:  http://www.go-astronomy.com/observatories-state.php?State=TX

Have a safe trip and enjoy!

If you don't mind changing your return route, I'd recommend swinging into southern New Mexico and going to White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns. Meteor Crater is neat, as someone else mentioned.

You could also go to Kitt Peak National Observatory in Tucson.

• Like 2

Just a general hint....Buy a case of water and keep it in the trunk at all times. you will need lots of water. You can buy/make packets of Gatorade mix, lemonade mix, etc if you want to flavor it. Plan a few bottles per person per stop just to be safe. Tennis shoes or hiking shoes over sandals or flip flops for any trails. We did a lot of snacks with us that saved money.

The Drury Inn in Amarillo was very nice and had a great free "light" supper which was way more than we needed and a great free breakfast. Cost was a tiny bit higher but 2 meals I closed for 5 people is a big savings.

• Like 1

Albuquerque has Cliff's amusement park. It's not Six Flags or Disney, but the local kids like it. The Biopark (zoo) and aquarium are small compared to big city zoos, but still nice. The science museum is nice, and Explora (children's museum) is across the street. You could easily to both of them in one day. My DS love the rattlesnake museum in Old Town. I have always wanted to take the tram up the Sandias, but I haven't made it yet. Depending how far you want to go from Albuquerque, I would suggest Los Alamos and bandelier np.

Near Flagstaff, there is Sunset Crater NP and another that I can't remember right now that are on a loop road so it is easy to visit both in one drive. If you are staying in Flagstaff, there is a small laser tag place that my DS and I thought was great fun. The Grad Canyon Train is a fun way to get to the Canyon, but since you already have a room reservation, this might not be useful.

I adore Bandelier National Monument and actually worked there as a ranger for three summers.

I prefer Santa Fe's Old Town to Albuquerque, but it's a matter of what you want to visit. Lots of museums there.

We were there last summer visiting relatives in Santa Fe and hit both!

Oh man, there is SO MUCH to see in New Mexico and Arizona, both historically and geographically.

For geology, in addition to the Grand Canyon, plan to spend about 5 hours at the Petrified Forest National Park (aka The Painted Desert).  It is absolutely HUGE, but you drive from location to location.  Every place you stop is like a different planet!  A few have trails you can walk (vary from 1/2 mile to maybe 3 miles long).  Most are just lookouts.  It was interesting to me to learn that the entire multi-state region is composed of the same geographical layers, but that different layers are exposed at different locations.  

El Malpais National Monument is an amazing lava flow, complete with caves formed from air pockets in the lava.  Very cool.  It's sorta rugged, but not intense.

For history, I second Bandelier National Monument.  Ancient Pueblo People built their home in a lovely valley in northern NM.  There is a lot of climbing (stairs and ladders), so if you have knee problems, I wouldn't recommend it.  It's also high altitude, so if you're coming from sea level, you'll need to take it easy.  But it is SO worth it!  There are several different sections you can choose to see or not (you don't HAVE to climb the ladders -- thought the cave at the top is pretty awesome).  

El Morro National Monument (very near El Malpais).  It's a huge rock face jutting out of the earth.  Travelers carved into the soft sandstone for hundreds of years, leaving a fascinating historical marker.  You'll find petroglyphs from the ancient people, as well as inscriptions from the Spanish conquistadores and names of children on wagon trains headed west.  If you venture on top, you'll find the ruins of an ancient village.

If you have time, spend the night in Grants, NM, and take a day to drive out to Chaco Canyon National Monument.  It is absolutely amazing.  It is believed that Chaco was a cultural center for all the ancient pueblo people, who would come there once a year or so for a gathering of nations.  They built huge structures using rocks and mud, and those structures are still standing.  

If you haven't found it already, here is the website for the National Park Service.  If you plan to visit several National Parks, I would recommend getting an annual park pass.  It gives you free admission to all the National Parks (not state parks), as well as discounts in the gift shops.  

Albuquerque has a nice tram ride up the mountains for a relaxing view. Santa Fe has a lot of art galleries and historic churches. A little further away, Bandolier (already mentioned) is a few minutes away from Overlook Park. In one day you could also drive up to Valle Grande, the chaldera of a dormant volcano. There's also a science/history museum of the Manhattan Project with a lot of interactive stuff. (I live in Los Alamos, so I know that area best!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by HTRMom

You got great advice. I skimmed but I didn't see Acoma Pueblo.

http://www.acomaskycity.org/home.html

"Acoma Pueblo is built atop a sheer-walled, 367-foot sandstone bluff in a valley studded with sacred, towering monoliths. Since 1150 A.D., Acoma Pueblo has earned the reputation as the oldest continuously inhabited community in North America. The mesa-top settlement is known worldwide for its unique art and rich culture. "

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your help. I now have a basic plan. We are flying into ABQ and renting a car. From Albuquerque, we are going to head south to White Sands and then Carlsbad Caverns on the way to TX activities with family. Then we'll take three days to get to the Grand Canyon, stopping in Amarillo, Albuquerque, and Flagstaff. After the Grand Canyon, we'll then have four days of more leisurely driving staying in Flagstaff, Grants, and Santa Fe and doing what we have time for. We are planning to ride the Tramway. For stargazing, we are planning to visit Lowell Observatory and stay late enough at White Sands to see the stars.

• Like 1

Also, if you aren't dead set on flying in to Albuquerque, you might look at Amarillo or Lubbock. When I flew to Florida in December, it was cheaper for me to fly out of Amarillo than Albuquerque.

And here we flew into ABQ and drove to Amarillo as from West Michigan that was much cheaper. Always wise though to double check.

According to their website, Carlsbad elevators​ have a planned outage April 25 and 26. I will call and ask about elevators, but honestly I don't think it would cause me not to go if I have add a difficult hike. Our flight is already booked with reward points at the cheapest point cost. I will have to look up tent rocks again. It wasn't on my must do list.

I love, love, LOVE Carlsbad Caverns.  And I did the hike OUT of the caverns once... and it just about killed me.  Seriously.  I wasn't sure I was going to make it.  Even my in-shape sixteen year old son had a hard time with it.  Going INTO the caverns isn't so bad, but do yourself a favor and take the elevator back out again!  Lol

Just a warning

The elevator at Carlsbad Caverns is currently under repair and often closed completely. You may want to check on that before you go, Walking down into the cavern is doable, but walking back out would be killer.

We were there last week and the elevators are running. I highly recommend the caverns but it seems a bit out of your way, OP.

I recommend stopping at Pecos National Historic Site on your way to TX. There is a one mile hike through ancient Pueblo ruins and the remains of a Spanish mission. It is a beautiful area and a nice place to stretch your legs during a road trip. Bonus if your children like to collect (or would like to begin collecting) junior ranger badges from the national park service.

https://www.nps.gov/peco/index.htm

Edited by SJ.

Thanks so much for your help. I now have a basic plan. We are flying into ABQ and renting a car. From Albuquerque, we are going to head south to White Sands and then Carlsbad Caverns on the way to TX activities with family. Then we'll take three days to get to the Grand Canyon, stopping in Amarillo, Albuquerque, and Flagstaff. After the Grand Canyon, we'll then have four days of more leisurely driving staying in Flagstaff, Grants, and Santa Fe and doing what we have time for. We are planning to ride the Tramway. For stargazing, we are planning to visit Lowell Observatory and stay late enough at White Sands to see the stars.

Fun! We just did this! I highly recommend getting a few sleds from the visitors center at white sands on the way in and bringing a change of clothes that you don't mind getting a bit Sandy. The sand is cool and so soft, not to mention beautiful. Be sure to ask the best place to sled, go there, and don't be tempted to stop too soon as it keeps getting better the further in you go.

As for the caverns, I highly recommend hiking down into the caverns at the natural entrance. It is a tremendous experience and really emphasizes how far beneath the ground you are going.

Edited by SJ.

On your road trip to white sands I highly recommend stopping at two places.

The first is Valley of Fires Recreation Area. It is an area where a vent leaked lava for 30 years and you can view the volcanic rock that stretches for 40+ miles. There is a short path you can take and see the rocks that are pretty amazing. We stopped just for a few minutes and walked on some of the path to stretch our legs. If you look it up in satellite view on Google maps you can see the large black patch of volcanic rock.

The other is Three Rivers Petroglyph Site. It is on the way as well and a quick stop. There are 20,000 Petroglyphs carved into the rocks and the remains of an ancient native American village. It was unbelievable to us that there are decorated potshards all over the place on the ground. Totally worth the quick stop.

Edited by SJ.

Thanks for the tips SJ. Those sound fun. I know the Caverns are a little out of my way, but I adjusted my plans after so many people suggested that they were great and worth going a little out of the way.

It will definitely be worth it! I hope your family has a wonderful trip 😊

• 3 weeks later...

We returned from our trip on Tuesday. We had a great time, but didn't get to everything we'd hoped. Here is our actual path. We flew into ABQ and rented a car, then went south to White Sands, then to Carlsbad Caverns then looped through TX, then back through Albuquerque to the Grand Canyon, then back to Santa Fe before flying home from ABQ. I plan to share more tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help.

• Like 4