Menu

S/O from Christams gift thread: Stocking stuffers?

So, as I posted in the other thread, we've got the big stuff under control for our kids. But I'm finding myself pretty much stumped for stockings. Neither of my kids is big into candy/sweets. We usually try to stick with small gift items for the stockings.

But here's the tricky part: A few years ago, in a fit of something-or-other, I started "theming" the stocking stuffers. It was easier when the kids were younger, because I could always go with stuff related to favorite characters. But they're pretty much past that nowadays. Some years, I've copped out and just bought everything in a favorite color, but that's been done.

Certain things are traditional: They always get a pair of silly socks and a new toothbrush.

So, what's going in your kids' stockings this year?

Every child gets mostly practical things... and everything sits on the hearth, because there is just too much for the stocking!

-- Shampoo, Conditioner (girls), lotion, chapstick, toothbrush, toothpaste, swish & spit (ACT), new scrubby, hair thingys (girls), pencils, pens, crayons (school supplies), box of crackers, box of cookies, a favorite sweet cereal like Lucky Charms, Cookie Crisp, etc. ('cause they don't get them other times), \an apple, an orange, a fruit flavored candy cane (because they don't like mint), package of M&Ms, Sweet Tarts, boys will get a wallet this year (cheap kind), calendar.

Essentially, the children get essentials.

My mom started this tradition when I was a teen-ager, and responsible for purchasing all of my own Personal Care items... really helped my budget. We stuck with it, because I didn't want to do bunches of "junk" in a stocking.

17yo dd - flavored lip gloss - nail polish - earrings - little stuffed penguin - bag of Kit Kats

14yo ds - star wars action figures - star wars playing cards - star wars trading cards - bag of Reese's cups

9yo ds - couple of stuffed Pokemon - star wars action figures - mini lego kits - bag of peanut M&Ms

6yo dd - stickers - Wonder Pets action figures - playdoh - bag of gummi bears

I'm not sure if I'm doing stockings or not yet. Usually Grandma does them at her house, but if the grandparents are HERE on Christmas morning that will mean two stockings. If they come before Christmas then I'll do another on Christmas morning perhaps.

But ideas I have so far:

Hair bows and barrettes, chapstick, edible treats, gel pens or other fun art things, toothbrushes

Action figure for ds, spy stuff, toothbrush, etc.

silly putty

ostheimer carved birds

lindt bunnies

lindt santas

gold coins (the chocolate kind!)

tangerine

one pound (the real kind!)

books they have been asking for over the past month

So, as I posted in the other thread, we've got the big stuff under control for our kids. But I'm finding myself pretty much stumped for stockings. Neither of my kids is big into candy/sweets. We usually try to stick with small gift items for the stockings.

But here's the tricky part: A few years ago, in a fit of something-or-other, I started "theming" the stocking stuffers. It was easier when the kids were younger, because I could always go with stuff related to favorite characters. But they're pretty much past that nowadays. Some years, I've copped out and just bought everything in a favorite color, but that's been done.

Certain things are traditional: They always get a pair of silly socks and a new toothbrush.

So, what's going in your kids' stockings this year?

how about a chartity donation in each of their names? And then follow through with the theme. I'm thinking of donating a heifer project. Of course it would be one donation in all of their names, but then everyone would get a cow/pig/goat/chicken themed items.

OR, since it was a historical year - Obamacize their stockings. :)

Edited by CalicoKat
additional idea

how about a chartity donation in each of their names? And then follow through with the theme. I'm thinking of donating a heifer project. Of course it would be one donation in all of their names, but then everyone would get a cow/pig/goat/chicken themed items.

OR, since it was a historical year - Obamacize their stockings. :)

I was thinking of charitable stuff. That might work well for my daughter, if we did something animal related. (We adopted a manatee for her one year, which was a big hit.) But I haven't found anything yet that wows me . . .

Themes:

Girlie: Nail polish, lip gloss, pedicure set, sample-sized hand lotions and foot lotions, earrings and so forth. You can browse the "girlie" aisles at Target or wherever you shop to find small inexpensive items that fit the theme.

Writing: Mini notebook, pens and pencils, Post-its, colored paper clips, mini stapler and other small office/school supply items.

Games: Dice, cards, a little Hoyle's card game book, pick-up sticks, game pieces, a tiny puzzle.

My kids all enjoy little toys, even the 13 & 15 y.o.'s. Back-to-childhood: Classic little toys like Chinese paper balls, balancing butterflies, wooden top, a Jacob's ladder, those little airplanes you fit together, pick-up sticks or other favorites from the past.

Cat

I don't know what else I'm putting in the stockings yet this year, but I like to get each of them a Christmas ornament. They love to take them out each year and look back at what they've gotten. Plus they'll have a start for their own trees when they are out on their own :)

I like to get them each something that is meaningful to them - last year 14 d-step-d got a cell phone ornament, ds 10 got a Corvette ornament, and dd 6 got a dog ornament. I try to get ones with the year on them if I can, if not, I just mark the box.

Heather in MD

I don't know what else I'm putting in the stockings yet this year, but I like to get each of them a Christmas ornament. They love to take them out each year and look back at what they've gotten. Plus they'll have a start for their own trees when they are out on their own :)

I like to get them each something that is meaningful to them - last year 14 d-step-d got a cell phone ornament, ds 10 got a Corvette ornament, and dd 6 got a dog ornament. I try to get ones with the year on them if I can, if not, I just mark the box.

We do ornaments, too, but they're not a stocking thing. I make them each an ornament every year, which they receive the night we decorate the tree. My daughter aways gets angels (like the ones shown here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-Christmas-cross-stitch-kit-beaded-mill-hill-angel_W0QQitemZ270301939037QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101 ), because I made her a couple of them when she was little, and she demands that I continue the tradition. But I now design my own and try to personalize them to her current interests/activities. This year, the angel will commemorate our daughter's attendance at her first real on-Broadway show.

We have no specific tradition for my son, except that he gets an ornament. This year, I'm stitching the logo for his model rocket club, along with the year, and affixing that to a 3-d mini rocket I'm making from cardstock.

They each also get to choose an ornament to purchase each year. This year, they both bought them while we were on vacation in New York.

As you said, the idea here is that they will accumulate enough to take with them a "starter kit" when they grow up and move out.

DD: lotion, hair stuff, nail polish, eye shadow, lip gloss, nail polish remover, emery boards, iTunes gift card, bath stuff, deck of cards, gold coins, chocolate covered marzipan, German chocolate candy, tic-tacs, DS game.

Boys: tape, AA batteries, iTunes gift cards, magic tricks, deck of cards, American chocolate Christmas candy, DS game

That's it, so far. DD is easy -- anything the drug store sells that is a complete waste of money, she likes.

DS3 always gets one of those snake-in-a-can pranks and a something with a giraffe theme.

This online store has tons of great stocking stuffers:

http://www.kidsurplus.com/

They have a page devoted to stocking stuffers, but there are a ton more than these on the site:

http://www.kidsurplus.com/search-skw-08TYHPSS~catID-1122.asp

Edited by RoughCollie

*One special candy bar or other sweet (14yods loves white chocolate like me, so he gets that. The others like different things.)

*Pepperoni stick or slices (tradition for dh's stocking since childhood and the kids love it too)

*Babybel cheeses (especially for 14yods, but they all love it)

*Slim Jims (the girls are addicted)

*An ornament (each kid gets one from us each Christmas for their collection)

*One or two other little things, possibly an iTunes gift card

Dd has suggested a horse for her stocking stuffer. She said to just put the stocking on one of the horse's legs and call it a stuffed stocking! :lol:

I said no.

She's getting nail polish, flavored lip glosses, toy animals, not sure what else yet. I'm trying to get away from candy and sweets.

I always put an order in in November to Dover Publications for lots of little books and stickers. I can usually get shipping free or cheap, and it is worth it for three stockings. We do an orange and a candy cane, too (one year we did the tin cup.) They get their ornament for the year in their stocking. We also put in some pens and pencils and such. And that is about it. :)