Menu

Quiet toy ideas for a church bag

DesertBlossom

When it comes to Christmas, my 3 and 6 year olds do not really need new toys thanks to all the hand-me-downs.  The only toys I am inclined to buy are things that can go in a quiet/church bag to keep them entertained. The mini Thomas trains I bought last year were perfect for the bag, as are the standard coloring books and crayons. But I am always on the lookout for new ideas. I have a small magnetic puzzle Lakeshore learning type thing that usually gets a few minutes of use.

I would love more ideas if anyone has some!

If you know someone who can sew, you could ask them make a flat family for you, they are awesome church toys! I am not even sure the panels are still available retail, but they are probably available on ebay. For church toys, I found that the fewer that were available, the better. Two quiet activities available can last 90 minutes, but three, four or more only last about 20 minutes.

• Like 3

Betty Lukens makes Felt Books, specifically for this purpose!

https://www.bettylukens.com/collections/felt-activity-kits

The buyer needs to cut out all the pieces, which is easy to do in front of the TV.
My mom assembled about 4 of these for us, & they're now being enjoyed by our granddaughter.

She also bought these magnetic boards:

https://www.amazon.com/Create-A-Scene-Magnetic-Playset-Construction-Site/dp/B00000ISKK

Also, look around at other families in your church, to get ideas!
Some use a lollipop which keeps them quiet, sucking on the candy.
Kudos to you for working with your kids to get them to stay in church!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Rainbow loom

I am now picturing thousands of tiny rubberbands all over the floor with a six year old crawling under the seats to retrieve them all in the midst of communion. As a parent, this would have been my nightmare.

Oh - and all the other six year olds in sight would join them in the retrieval process, creating a tiny army of six year olds crawling around on the floor.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TechWife said:

I am now picturing thousands of tiny rubberbands all over the floor with a six year old crawling under the seats to retrieve them all in the midst of communion. As a parent, this would have been my nightmare.

Oh - and all the other six year olds in sight would join them in the retrieval process, creating a tiny army of six year olds crawling around on the floor.

Lol yeah strangely that hasn’t happened yet!  I’m not sure how.  It is the older girls that do it so that might be why!

You could make some Godly Play stories out of felt--at least some bible characters. Does your little one tend to talk to her/himself? Might be too noisy to include paper or felt "dolls."

Mostly, I tried to get my kids interested in the service. Being Episcopalian, it was easy to teach them some responses and have them look at the stuff happening on the altar. Our sermons are not, generally, more than 12 minutes long (that's a standard, not an absolute) and the bulk of the service involves liturgical movement such as standing, kneeling and sitting. So I didn't have to provide too much "entertainment." 

In that phase myself, but with a toddler. Looking at colorforms (they still make them!), magnetic scenes (linked in another post by someone), and am making some file folder felt boards. I was going to make a felt book but I think doing separate file folders makes more sense, so that I can rotate them in and out of the bag each week. Lots of tutorials online to make them. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 1:38 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

5 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

You could make some Godly Play stories out of felt--at least some bible characters. Does your little one tend to talk to her/himself? Might be too noisy to include paper or felt "dolls."

Mostly, I tried to get my kids interested in the service. Being Episcopalian, it was easy to teach them some responses and have them look at the stuff happening on the altar. Our sermons are not, generally, more than 12 minutes long (that's a standard, not an absolute) and the bulk of the service involves liturgical movement such as standing, kneeling and sitting. So I didn't have to provide too much "entertainment." 

true, that does help. Also, some Episcopal churches do sunday school/ church school during the first part of the service. So they kids are there during the readings and sermon, and come back in just for the second part, for communion. That buys a bit of time. That said, my littlest is too little for that, so I'm following this thread closely! She's at that into everything but no concept of being quiet phase in life. If you watch the youtube video of St. Michael's Orlando's service from the week before last you can hear her quiet clearly at several points, lol. 

• Haha 1

These are my ideas for felt board "kits":

Bunnies with velcro dot and pom poms for tails

Tree with individual leaves, apples, animals, etc (Adam and Eve? Snake?)

Flowers, caterpillar, butterfly, ladybug

Fish, jelly fish, starfish, boat (maybe noah's ark theme and add some animals and a rainbow?)

Face with eyes, nose, eyebrows, mouth, hair

Christmas tree with ornaments, star, presents, reindeer, santa

Advent wreath, candles, flames, decorations

Nativity scene with jesus, mary, joseph, shepherds, kings, animals, manger, star, angels

Church - stained glass windows, cross, bible/BCP, paten, chalice, wafer, priest, choir

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Oh a 12 minute sermon would be great with little kids!

Our church has the kids stay in the service through the song service, bible reading, announcements, and communion. Then 3rd grade and under is dismissed for kids’ worship during the sermon which is 30-45 minutes. Except once a month is family Sunday and they stay in during the sermon.

When I had toddlers and preschoolers I hated family Sunday’s so much! Even though everyone around us said the kids weren’t bothering them, I couldn’t focus at all and the kids weren’t paying any attention anyway. It didn’t matter what I had to distract them, 45 minutes was just too long to attempt to be quiet. By 1st or 2nd grade it’s a lot better. They still don’t focus the whole time but sitting quietly during the sermon isn’t such a chore for most kids. 

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

In that phase myself, but with a toddler. Looking at colorforms (they still make them!), magnetic scenes (linked in another post by someone), and am making some file folder felt boards. I was going to make a felt book but I think doing separate file folders makes more sense, so that I can rotate them in and out of the bag each week. Lots of tutorials online to make them. 

OOh. My daughter wants a magnetic scene for Christmas -- preferably one associated with a book she's read. Any recommendation of brand?

These are some awesome ideas, ladies!!  Over the years we've had a few of these things in the church bag, which have gotten lost or broken or that I've totally forgotten about. (mommy brain is a thing)  And I forgot, but I used to have a bag of hand-me-down felt characters which, very conveniently, stuck to the back of the carpeted pew in front of us. We must have lost that in the move because I haven't seen it in forever!

• Like 1