Menu

Take Out Heat at Home Thanksgiving Meals?

readinmom

Our family is going through a lot of different things right now, and it will be just us (5) and my mom for Thanksgiving.  I don't want to cook per se, and my mom might not be capable of going out (good days/bad days).  Has anyone purchased one of those holiday dinners and heated it  up at home?  Looking for some ideas for those who have tried it...

Thanks!

We've done it once, from Kroger.
It wasn't bad.  It was easy to heat (instructions on each container), but it felt a little like a waste in our house because we don't like green bean casserole or candied yams, and we prefer my own pumpkin pie recipe (made with cream instead of evaporated milk).  I would do it again if I felt time crunched, though.  Being older I don't feel as obligated to put the dishes on the table we don't like. 😄

• Like 1

We've purchased certain items before but never a whole meal. So, for ex., a Honeybaked ham. If you really want to enjoy the food, I'd pick a restaurant you really enjoy and order from there vs. a 'holiday' meal since you might not actually like the dishes.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies...

I got a late start this year.  The restaurants around us are all booked, not taking walk ins.  Boston Market is out of turkey, and since that's what everyone else eats, I might do everything there but the turkey, find a small breast at the market.  

Home Again, totally get not wanting to put stuff out that won't get touched.  Our original holiday menu is not extensive, but time consuming, and since I'm the only one cooking/cleaning, I have found myself wanting to change things up a bit.

6 minutes ago, readinmom said:

Thanks for the replies...

I got a late start this year.  The restaurants around us are all booked, not taking walk ins.  Boston Market is out of turkey, and since that's what everyone else eats, I might do everything there but the turkey, find a small breast at the market.  

Home Again, totally get not wanting to put stuff out that won't get touched.  Our original holiday menu is not extensive, but time consuming, and since I'm the only one cooking/cleaning, I have found myself wanting to change things up a bit.

Last year in Bahrain (tiny ovens there), I hosted T-day. I used a countertop halogen oven to cook two spatchcocked game hens that I'd marinated overnight in lemon juice, olive oil, and assorted other herbs/spices. I put the birds on a rack and put the dressing in the bottom. The juices dripped down into the dressing and it was fantastic. Also, easy clean up and not a ton of leftovers. One cooking thingy with a single glass bowl to wash, one plastic bag with marinated chickens overnight and you get a free oven to re-heat store-bought sides/pies.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

My sister does this for her DH, FIL, and my mom since dad & her MIL died. The store is probably regional, so I won't name it. But, they all really like doing it that way. I wouldn't feel bad about piecing it together, however, if that was what worked. [My DH cooks most of our big holiday meals. I usually just do desserts because that's what I really care about.]

ETA: DH cooks a ham, but we've had a big taco feast for Thanksgiving before, too. As long as there is plenty of tasty food, my family doesn't care what it is. I'm sure future spouses will be horrified that my kids have never had turkey for Thanksgiving.

Edited by RootAnn
added out of the box idea
  • Like 1

I am not a good cook. I don't like cooking.

I buy a precooked turkey from the refrigerator case. Sometimes I get a small ham too. Then I buy Stovetop cornbread stuffing because that is everyone's favorite (I use one spice packet per two packs of breadcrumbs so that its not so salty). Bizarrely, I've gotten lots of compliments on my "wonderful" stuffing. I buy the premade mashed potatoes that have the least artificial ingredients. I warm those up and add a bit of sour cream. I nuke a couple of squashes and slice them. People can add butter and brown sugar to taste. I bake crescent rolls. I buy either spinach or green beans for the veggie and nuke them. I buy a pie unless someone volunteers to make one. It's not gourmet but everyone can find something they prefer whether it be white carbs or healthier sides. It's not too much work. Everything is pretty much guaranteed to come out right. I admire people who go all out, but I know my limits.

• Like 1

Yes I think the order deadlines for my stores has already passed. 

At this point, if you are wanting a traditional meal I would get already made mashed potatos, pumpkin pie, oven Mac and cheese and a turkey breast (already cooked) at Costco, add some stovetop or Pepperidge farm stuffing, frozencorn, jarred gravy and steam some green beans and cranberry sauce from the grocery store.

Its still some work but most things are already prepared or super simple. 

• Like 1

haven't done it - but have bought many costco roasted chickens . . .

it  shouldn't be hard.  not sure of everything that is included.  but you can add:

stove top stuffing,

purchased pumpkin pie

I would make cranberry sauce becasue it is so easy (best done ahead) and tastes that much better than what comes in a can.

you can purchase frozen rolls you bake at home - or just purchase rolls.

and whatever vegetable/side you want.   lots of stuff in the freezer case or deli.

good luck

• Like 1

We are doing simple this year.

Dh will cook the turkey and mashed potatoes.  Youngest son will put together the green bean casserole and yams casserole the night before.  I will made gravy and stuffing the day of.

Rolls are bought.

Honestly, other than DH's mashed potatoes (which he usually gets the older boys to peel for him), it shouldn't take that long.

I offered to do this:

1. frozen Stoffer's turkey to heat up.

2. Bob Evans pre-mashed potatoes to heat up.

3. pre-made rolls

4. Put together easy yams casserole

And call it a day.  Everyone opted to pitch in instead.

Most of our local stores have pre-made dinners, although it is prob too late to order.

• Like 1

I have to be at work late afternoon that day (retail).

We are getting smoked turkey and green beans with bacon from a local barbeque place.

DD is making sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce.

I am making stuffing and creamed rutabagas. 

We are buying rolls at the store.

Done!

• Like 1