Menu

Finish my dinner tonight

Night Elf

We're having steak. We have steak most Sundays. We always have potatoes either mashed or diced and roasted. What side do you serve with steak? I don't want rice because we don't have a sauce or gravy. We had couscous with pork cutlets. Mac and cheese seems low class next to top sirloin. I am at a loss. No salad. I'll likely fix fresh green beans with garlic but we need something more than green beans and steak.

3 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I don't know how to prepare asparagus so I've never tried it. I've eaten tips before which were really good but I didn't like the stalks at all.

drizzle with olive oil an d roast. If it's green asparagus, no need to peel - just snap off the end where it naturally breaks.

White asparagus needs to be peeled and is best steamed with sauce Hollandaise. It is not in season now.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Steaks...here we usually pair with risotto if not doing your other options.  Dh makes a great twice baked sweet potato, too, but it's a lot of prep so he only does it for special occasions.  Roasted butternut squash is another favorite.

ETA: I forgot pasta.  Dh does a linguine with, red chili flakes (or whole chili), olive oil, garlic, and something else.  I forget.  But I can pull up the recipe if you think it's something you'll enjoy.  My favorite is when he does it with either a feta stuffed chicken or steak with blue cheese crumbles because the cheese sliding over into the pasta is really good together.

Edited by HomeAgain

With steaks, we like red potatoes roasted with olive oil and rosemary, or fries (most likely frozen out of a bag) or I might make some orzo. (I sautee the orzo in olive oil til it gets brown, then add water or broth to finish cooking it.)  For vegetable either roasted asparagus as Regentrude described above, or sauteed green beans, or both, or one of those and a salad.

This requires some ingredients you might not have around but I'll post it anyway in case it's of interest. It's a corn dish based on "Mexican street corn."  It's meant to be made with fresh corn, but I use frozen. It's not at all complicated and it is so delicious.  Probably more of a summer thing for most people:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/esquites-mexican-street-corn-salad-recipe.html

3 minutes ago, marbel said:

With steaks, we like red potatoes roasted with olive oil and rosemary, or fries (most likely frozen out of a bag) or I might make some orzo. (I sautee the orzo in olive oil til it gets brown, then add water or broth to finish cooking it.)  For vegetable either roasted asparagus as Regentrude described above, or sauteed green beans, or both, or one of those and a salad.

This requires some ingredients you might not have around but I'll post it anyway in case it's of interest. It's a corn dish based on "Mexican street corn."  It's meant to be made with fresh corn, but I use frozen. It's not at all complicated and it is so delicious.  Probably more of a summer thing for most people:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/esquites-mexican-street-corn-salad-recipe.html

My family really likes this version of roasted potatoes with rosemary:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/rosemary-roasted-potatoes-recipe-1943124

Sometimes I substitute fresh parsley. 

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, regentrude said:

drizzle with olive oil an d roast. If it's green asparagus, no need to peel - just snap off the end where it naturally breaks.

White asparagus needs to be peeled and is best steamed with sauce Hollandaise. It is not in season now.

Okay. If I don't have that tonight, I'll put it on my menu for this week. I really do want to try it. 

40 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

ETA: I forgot pasta.  Dh does a linguine with, red chili flakes (or whole chili), olive oil, garlic, and something else.  I forget.  But I can pull up the recipe if you think it's something you'll enjoy.  My favorite is when he does it with either a feta stuffed chicken or steak with blue cheese crumbles because the cheese sliding over into the pasta is really good together.

If it's not complicated, I'm interested in seeing what it is. We have some pasta dishes like shrimp fettuccine, but I've never made pasta as a side dish. Well, mac and cheese but my homemade mac and cheese never turns out right so I gave up. 

You lost me on "we have no gravy."  I love plain rice.....a little salt or soy sauce, but no gravy unless it is a curry sauce with chicken and vegetables.

But I digress.

We sometimes make twice baked potatoes with steak.  My kids love it.  It is a bit of effort though.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DawnM said:

You lost me on "we have no gravy."  I love plain rice.....a little salt or soy sauce, but no gravy unless it is a curry sauce with chicken and vegetables.

I was thinking the same, I almost never have sauce or gravy on my rice.  

I was thinking something like a "Rice a Roni" blend.  Cook rice (or mix up several types if you have them) in broth with dried herbs and sauteed onions.

We do pesto noodles with steak a lot.  Otherwise I'd make up some fresh bread (the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day is really good for a low maintenance bread). 

I do like the second veggie idea.  I was thinking an onion casserole would be good.  Something like this https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sweet-onion-casserole/

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

Alternatively, you can bake some nice bread as a side. Fresh bread warm from the oven, yum.

I have a breadmaker and will definitely make bread on Thanksgiving. We have my ds's favorite rolls for tonight. He likes my fresh bread but DH already bought the rolls.

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

But I digress.

We sometimes make twice baked potatoes with steak.  My kids love it.  It is a bit of effort though.

If I don't have gravy or a sauce, I use butter. But the guys don't care for that so we don't have plain rice.

2 hours ago, Night Elf said:

If it's not complicated, I'm interested in seeing what it is. We have some pasta dishes like shrimp fettuccine, but I've never made pasta as a side dish. Well, mac and cheese but my homemade mac and cheese never turns out right so I gave up. 

It's really not.
Ingredients:
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (or one whole split bird's eye chili, remove when plating)
(optional) 1T finely chopped ginger
1/4 olive oil, or a little less

Make up a  serving of linguine for each person.  While it is boiling, combine the oil, garlic, chili, and optional ginger in a pan that is large enough to hold the pasta later.  Cook over low heat until fragrant, but the garlic isn't browned.  About 5 minutes.
Drain the pasta, but reserve about a cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the oil mixture and stir over medium heat for about two minutes, using the extra pasta water if it starts to dry.  You want it nice and moist.  Serve.

If you want it a bit heartier you can add pancetta with the chili and garlic, or you can grate some Parmesan at the end.  It's just a quick little dish, though it uses two pans.

• Like 1

We also love gnocchi as a starchy side with steak! You can buy dried gnocchi, and the cook incredibly fast. I serve mine with rosemary-onion butter/olive oil.

You can also make them from cooked potatoes and flour, but that's a bit of a "project". they taste even better though.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I try to use up what's on hand so it varies.

Steamed veggies.  Usually carrot, broccoli, and a red/orange/yellow bell pepper. Sometimes it's asparagus with a little olive oil and dried thyme.

Sometimes I cook sliced zucchini in a skillet with a little olive oil with a dried thyme/oregano/rosemary, toasted and chopped almonds/pecans/pine nuts, and crumbled goat cheese on top.

We're having tenderloin steak for Thanksgiving and I decided to do a sweet potato casserole so I don't want sweet potatoes tonight. In addition to our green beans, I got yellow squash, onions and zucchini to sautee. If we're extra hungry, I'll make some rice to serve the veggies over. We don't need a gravy or sauce with the rice if we have soft veggies to put on top. I just don't know if we'll be that hungry. I'll decide when I start cooking tonight.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas. 

No Brussels sprouts!! 

• Like 1

We had steak and potatoes today. I always think that combo NEEDS a fresh colorful veggie side with some crunch. You need a crisp texture to balance out all of the chewy/mushy food. Steamed broccoli or a chopped salad is nice. Tonight we tried a salad that was black beans, orange bell pepper, red onions, feta, and a light dressing. It was okay, but I wanted more crunch. 

Last time we had steak we did twice baked potatoes and a salad. 

14 hours ago, Night Elf said:

I don't know how to prepare asparagus so I've never tried it. I've eaten tips before which were really good but I didn't like the stalks at all.

You can roast fresh green beans like you would asparagus. Toss them in olive oil and too with salt, pepper, and a little Parmesan. They’ll get a little golden and toasty. It’s a nice side if asparagus is too exotic for your crew. 

• Like 1