Menu

dss17 had a vasovagal syncope during eye exam today

Scarlett

Oh man! That is so un-fun. I almost had it at my mammogram today. My go-to for reducing the likelihood is to eat a nice, big meal first, but my appointment was too early for that. 

Hopefully, he did not hurt himself/fall into something. My son hit his head hard when he fainted at the doctor’s office. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Oh man! That is so un-fun. I almost had it at my mammogram today. My go-to for reducing the likelihood is to eat a nice, big meal first, but my appointment was too early for that. 

Hopefully, he did not hurt himself/fall into something. My son hit his head hard when he fainted at the doctor’s office. 

No I jumped up and between me and the little female doctor we managed to keep him in the chair.  It is terrifying to watch someone pass out.  I was reading on line and the trigger in an eye exam is usually drops in the eyes.  She put the numbing drops in and immediately did her little test (for glaucoma I think?) and then she left the room to get a set of contacts to fit to him.  When she was gone he said, very calmly, 'I don't like that feeling.'  I said, 'of the numbing?'  He nodded his head and i said 'me either, feels weird.'  The doc immediately returned and started putting the contact in his eye.....I mean like she was gone maybe 20 seconds.  When she was putting the contact in he said, 'wait, wait, I don't feel good. I feel nauseous.' So she stepped back and immediately he was gone.  I jumped up and held him in the chair and kept raising his head up off his chest because I was so scared.  I was patting his cheeks but he was OUT.  Probably for 60 seconds.  He still feels weird.  He wanted to come home and go to sleep but I won't let him because 1)he needs to wear his contacts for 4 hours and 2) I want him out here where I can observe.  He left his car at the doctors office (he met me there) because he didn't feel like driving.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Has he fainted before, Scarlet? Do you? 

He almost passed out when he was having blood drawn about a year ago....I was with him then too.  I don't faint, but he is my ss....

My ds passed out singing the song one Sunday morning.  I think he was dehydrated though...now he knows that feeling and he is sure to keep hydrated.  This with dss is totally different. 

• Like 1

I use to pass out with any blood draws, anything medical that pushed me over the edge when I was a kid.  I guess I have learned to 'compensate' somehow now that keeps me upright but instead I vomit.  So fun. Not.  The last time was with a really bad mammogram.  The only time a mammogram hurt and the tech couldn't understand why I was so ticked.  I've had a million mammograms and it was the first time it hurt.  If all the other techs have managed to do them without killing me, why did hers push me to the point of vomiting???   

• Like 1

My DS16 had one today at school watching a knee surgery video in biology class. I've seen him have a couple, and they are scary!! I had no idea what was happening the first time he had one and I totally freaked out. 

I don't think med school is in his future! Thanks for the heads up on an eye exam. I'll keep that in mind.

It happened to my son after a flu shot at a grocery store pharmacy. He passed out on his way out and they called an ambulance and transported him to the hospital. Fortunately, we didn’t find out until he was released and everything was ok. He’s extra cautious now when getting shots, having blood drawn, getting IVs, etc., and makes sure to be well fed and hydrated and to rest for awhile afterwards before getting up to walk. While it started as a physical reaction the first time, likely due to hunger, thirst, and lack of sleep during a very busy period during college plus a low blood pressure thing he inherited, for awhile afterwards I think the fear of it happening again made it become more psychological. But after several times with it not occurring again, I think he’s over the fear.

Edited to add that it took him a day or two to feel completely normal again. I think actually passing out is quite a bit different than just feeling like you are going to faint, in terms of recovery time. He also didn’t feel like driving afterwards and got a ride home and had to go retrieve his car the next day.

Edited by Frances

Vasogal syncope probably saved my son’s life.  Aparently if you faint in triage when 9 months pregnant they admit you even though they were in the process of sending me home saying he wasn’t ready.  They discovered he had low fluid, cord around neck, and his heart rate would drop.  He was safely born 8 hours later.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

The first time I gave Blood, I was at work. Not a good experience for me. I didn't pass out, but, I did not feel good.   After that, I gave Blood quite a few times, but I always made sure to eat a big Breakfast, before going to the Blood Bank and donating Blood and never had that problem again.  Part of these stories may have to do with being frightened of something. The other part of the story may have to do with hunger. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lanny said:

The first time I gave Blood, I was at work. Not a good experience for me. I didn't pass out, but, I did not feel good.   After that, I gave Blood quite a few times, but I always made sure to eat a big Breakfast, before going to the Blood Bank and donating Blood and never had that problem again.  Part of these stories may have to do with being frightened of something. The other part of the story may have to do with hunger. 

I do believe fear and blood sugar levels play a roll, but for me, there is clearly a physiological aspect. I have orthostatic low blood pressure (that is my normal state) and fainting is much more likely with low blood pressure than with typical bp. When my son fainted, the doctor also said there is a strong hereditary factor so it is something ds should be aware of in any situation that might produce this result. (He also has orthostatic low blood pressure.) 

Fear is deifnitely part of the profile, though, for many cases. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ZiMom said:

I use to pass out with any blood draws, anything medical that pushed me over the edge when I was a kid.  I guess I have learned to 'compensate' somehow now that keeps me upright but instead I vomit.  So fun. Not.  The last time was with a really bad mammogram.  The only time a mammogram hurt and the tech couldn't understand why I was so ticked.  I've had a million mammograms and it was the first time it hurt.  If all the other techs have managed to do them without killing me, why did hers push me to the point of vomiting???   

My son fainted but also vomited after he came around. It was a reason the doctor was worried he had a concussion from hitting his head. 

I had one very bad mammogram about seven years ago. It was because they were repeatedly repositioning one breast for better pictures and it hurt quite a lot. I felt like there was no oxygen going to my brain. In that instance, I did end up fainting completely, though I warned the technician and did not faint IN the machine. 

The mammo I had yesterday also hurt quite a lot and for the same reason, but I was able to recover after sitting for several minutes and getting a drink of water. 

I do think fear plays a roll in the mammogram VVS. 

I've heard dehydration is more an issue due to blood volume not sufficient to accommodate the vaso-reflex.  We are fainters and do three things before trigger-events:  plenty of fluids (regularly), good meal, and, most importantly, do contract/release of lower extremity muscles (especially gluteus maximus) when there is any sign of it coming on.  This helps by both increasing blood pressure d/t the moving of the muscles and keeps the blood from pooling in lower regions, which is what happens during a vasovagal episode.  This exercise kept many boys from fainting while serving as altar boys.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Familia said:

I've heard dehydration is more an issue due to blood volume not sufficient to accommodate the vaso-reflex.  We are fainters and do three things before trigger-events:  plenty of fluids (regularly), good meal, and, most importantly, do contract/release of lower extremity muscles (especially gluteus maximus) when there is any sign of it coming on.  This helps by both increasing blood pressure d/t the moving of the muscles and keeps the blood from pooling in lower regions, which is what happens during a vasovagal episode.  This exercise kept many boys from fainting while serving as altar boys.  

Good info. My brother, myself, and one of my kids all experience this. We all tend to do well with medical stuff but if we're sick someone needs to be around. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quill said:

I do believe fear and blood sugar levels play a roll, but for me, there is clearly a physiological aspect. I have orthostatic low blood pressure (that is my normal state) and fainting is much more likely with low blood pressure than with typical bp. When my son fainted, the doctor also said there is a strong hereditary factor so it is something ds should be aware of in any situation that might produce this result. (He also has orthostatic low blood pressure.) 

Dss has high blood pressure.  And I totally believe his is physiological.

• Like 1

The eye doctor called this morning to check on him. She asked if we checked his BP when we got home.  We did.  It was good.  She repeated that we should call his PC doctor.  It is time for a yearly check up anyway so I scheduled him in for next week.  

She really did not react well IMO.   She should have checked his pulse, his BP, laid his chair back.....I read later that if the person is laying down with legs elevated they regain consciousness sooner...In the 60 seconds or so he was out I remember thinking, 'I am going to have to be the one to call this..she is too passive....'  And I was wondering how long long I should wait before I insisted someone call 911.  Thankfully he came too before that was needed.

How long do yall think?

9 hours ago, Quill said:

My son also has this. And as I noted upthread, after his first incidence which resulted in an ambulance ride, I think the physiological was surpassed by the psychological due to fear. But after taking lots of precautions and it not happening again when needles were involved, I think he’s finally back to primarily a physiological risk.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quill said:

2 hours ago, Frances said:

@Quill   Many years ago, for probably several years, for unknown reasons, I had Low Blood Pressure. I had that on my "Medic Alert" bracelet.  Along with my Blood type and a medicine I am allergic to. The M.D. who told me to do that I think also had Low Blood Pressure, or someone in his family did.  He told me that if an ambulance or someone in an E.R. gets ahold of someone with Low Blood Pressure, and they do not know the patient has Low Blood Pressure, they might take "heroic" measures that are unnecessary (and if I assume, are risky).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

The eye doctor called this morning to check on him. She asked if we checked his BP when we got home.  We did.  It was good.  She repeated that we should call his PC doctor.  It is time for a yearly check up anyway so I scheduled him in for next week.  

She really did not react well IMO.   She should have checked his pulse, his BP, laid his chair back.....I read later that if the person is laying down with legs elevated they regain consciousness sooner...In the 60 seconds or so he was out I remember thinking, 'I am going to have to be the one to call this..she is too passive....'  And I was wondering how long long I should wait before I insisted someone call 911.  Thankfully he came too before that was needed.

How long do yall think?

Well, theorhetically, you might have lengthened the period of time he was "out" by keeping him upright in the chair. If the chair didn't go back, then he would have been better off laying down on the floor, if he had even time to do that (lay down safely). 

Sometimes people.get to know that woozy feeling is coming and lay down, which is certainly better than falling over and boinking your head.

• Like 1