Menu

Help for dd with clothing sensitivity

MaeFlowers

I've just started seeing ads for fall clothing and I'm starting to stress. Dd is very sensitive to clothing. Summer is easy because she will wear short shorts, knit dresses and flip flops.

Cold weather clothing is so hard. She refuses anything that feels binding. So, no pants, no socks, no leggings, no tights. Shirts have to be super soft and loose. Last year this meant knit dresses and boots with the fur inside. Even in the snow. 

On top of the fact that she is sensitive, she is also big boned/muscular (particularly in the legs) and has a long torso. When she turned 6, she was the average height of a 7 yr old and the average weight of an 8 yr old. I cant size up because then clothes are seriously too long. Not just a little. I've seen pants that are snug on her be 8 inches too long. 

I try to be understanding because I know she doesn't do any of this on purpose. But, Im frustrated. Not because of her but because I dont know what to do. I dont know how to shop for her in the winter time. Last year I ordered hundreds of dollars worth of clothing for her only to keep about $40 worth. 

I guess I'm looking for two things. One, does anyone have any advice on how to shop for her body type? And, two, how can I help her overcome some of her sensitivity?

Does she complain? If she's not complaining, you're projecting your own preferences on her. I'd suggest skirts and big soft sweaters or loose shirts. Just buy some shirts in bigger sizes. If she can stand something around her waist, that's the only binding part, the waistline of the skirt. The fur boots are a good idea.

My son grew up wearing only track pants because he didn't like anything on his legs. He didn't mind the waist band. He has rarely worn anything other than short sleeve shirts and he's never complained about being cold. I just made sure he had a warm jacket for the times we had to leave the house. When he was a teen, we bought him a good leather jacket that is kind of big on him. He's still wearing it at age 22 and it still fits well. It was a good purchase.

She complains about anything fitting. She doesnt like the waistband but she tolerates it. Usually she pulls her shorts lower on her hips to make them more comfortable. Odd, I know, because it makes them tighter.

I am fine with her wearing skirts but when it is 40 degrees (or colder) and she is wearing a skirt with no legging, tights, or even socks and shaking because she is cold, something isn't working. I would like to her to be able to wear something else when necessary.

ETA: I have tried sweat pants and she still fusses. She is just anti pants. 

Edited by MaeFlowers

51 minutes ago, MaeFlowers said:

I've just started seeing ads for fall clothing and I'm starting to stress. Dd is very sensitive to clothing. Summer is easy because she will wear short shorts, knit dresses and flip flops.

Cold weather clothing is so hard. She refuses anything that feels binding. So, no pants, no socks, no leggings, no tights. Shirts have to be super soft and loose. Last year this meant knit dresses and boots with the fur inside. Even in the snow. 

On top of the fact that she is sensitive, she is also big boned/muscular (particularly in the legs) and has a long torso. When she turned 6, she was the average height of a 7 yr old and the average weight of an 8 yr old. I cant size up because then clothes are seriously too long. Not just a little. I've seen pants that are snug on her be 8 inches too long. 

I try to be understanding because I know she doesn't do any of this on purpose. But, Im frustrated. Not because of her but because I dont know what to do. I dont know how to shop for her in the winter time. Last year I ordered hundreds of dollars worth of clothing for her only to keep about $40 worth. 

I guess I'm looking for two things. One, does anyone have any advice on how to shop for her body type? And, two, how can I help her overcome some of her sensitivity?

Have you tried onesie romper type things?  They tend to be a bit looser than pants and work well for my daughter.  You have my sympathy.  My Dd will wear leggings or track pants but not jeans much and we are on a farm.  The leggings last about 2 minutes.  

I have a DD with a hard-to-fit body shape (I totally know what you're talking about when you say snug in the waist and 8" too long!)

My DD won't wear constricting clothes: no jeans or non-elastic waists. Luckily my DD will wear the "super soft" leggings from Walmart, as well as jogging pants. (But we still struggle to find clothes that fit well and look nice.)

Hugs. It's hard & frustrating. 

One of my daughters lived in Hanna Andersson playdresses with loose leggings. (They are loose knit pants that are soft like pajamas bottoms).  The sizing is euro style—by height and the waistbands are quite forgiving of different sizes. The clothing washes very well... We could only afford a few outfits on that budget at the time and all of the stains—grass, food, marker, etc. came out with ease.

Hanna Andersson was purchased by a new parent company a couple of years ago. There have been some minor changes in quality of the knits...but these have still been better than most things out in the market. 

What about yoga pants?  They tend to be soft but are not as clingy as leggings.  She could perhaps wear them  under her dresses or skirts on cold days.

Also, what about really tall fur lined boots?  

Also, if cost is an issue, Costco has knockoff Uggs that are very warm and comfortable.

Avoid any wool in her clothes at all costs.  Ditto labels.  

When I was little I absolutely hated wearing tights and long socks.  The motion of them on my legs made my skin crawl and gave me goosebumps and made me absolutely miserable.  I wore bobby socks through 8th grade.  This was embarrassingly childish looking, so in ninth grade I set this practice aside in favor of the miserable stylishness of knee highs and panty hose.  I did get used to them after a while.  I say this to convey--there might light at the end of this tunnel.

My daughter doesn't like most leggings made for kids, so I got her the Viv brand ones for adults on amazon (I've recommended them on this forum for adults).  My kid is also long torso, short legs, sturdy build.  I get her the petite capris.  They fit her somewhere between mid-calf and the ankle, so they tuck into boots.  Even though they are leggings, they are very thin and incredibly soft.  When I first started wearing them, I kept looking down to make sure that I hadn't forgotten to put on pants.  The selection for petites isn't as big as for regular, but you can get a bunch of solid colors and maybe a few prints that could pair with solid colored tops.  

I would investigate ways to help her with her sensitivities. Dry brushing comes to mind. I guess people who know about sensory issues can help--maybe someone on the specials board? 

I have a friend whose son only wore sweatpants. He grew more able to tolerate regular pants, but he was teased at school. It was sad that no effort was made to help him adapt. Not saying you are being negligent or anything--please don't hear that! Just that it is a kindness to help remediate it if possible. 

• Like 2

I second the leggings from Hanna Andersson along with the playdress/daydress. My girl who struggled with real pants loved those for many years. They are pricey, but they last and last and last. When she outgrew them, I sold them on ebay - so look there for used ones.

I have some knit pants (like really soft sweat pants) from LLBean - very soft, wide waistband so it doesn't feel so confining - so keep that in mind for when she is older. 

Good luck! I have one who struggled, but as she got older, it has become so much easier. 

I also think if you can't find any leggings, tights, or pants of any kind that she'll wear that you probably need to look into helping her with her sensitivities. They're limiting her ability to do normal things - like walk between two buildings in snowy, winter weather.

I hope you're able to find clothes that work.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will look into everything later. It's been a long day and I'm exhausted.

After I posted earlier today I went to run errands and to visit my parents. While I was there my mom went into cardiac arrest. Dh attempted CPR and the paramedics were able to revive her. I've come home for a bit to eat and rest and wanted to come back to let you know I'm listening.

• Sad 6