Menu

Unpaid training?

woolybear

My son just got his first job. While I very happy because this is a step he needed to take, I'm concerned about something. They want him to do three weeks of unpaid training. This is at a fast food restaurant. Has anyone heard of anything like this? Is this normal these days? He's only got 2 months to work full time and almost half of it would be unpaid. I don't want to discourage him or interfere, but I feel like there are probably other jobs he could get where he would be getting paid from day one, even for training. At most, I could see a couple of days unpaid. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Googling brought up this link:  https://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstnd/DOL-75.pdf  

See section 31-60-6 where this is found:

"...a minor may be employed at a modification of the minimum fair wage established by subsection (j) of section 31-58 of the general statutes, but at not less than 85% of the minimum wage, for the first 200 hours of employment. When a minor has had an aggregate of two hundred hours of employment, he may not be employed by the same or any other employer at less than the minimum fair wage."  

So, it's okay for Burger King to pay him 85% of the usual minimum wage rate for the first 200 hours of on the job training, but it's not okay to pay him nothing.  

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, klmama said:

Googling brought up this link:  https://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstnd/DOL-75.pdf  

"...a minor may be employed at a modification of the minimum fair wage established by subsection (j) of section 31-58 of the general statutes, but at not less than 85% of the minimum wage, for the first 200 hours of employment. When a minor has had an aggregate of two hundred hours of employment, he may not be employed by the same or any other employer at less than the minimum fair wage."  

So, it's okay for Burger King to pay him 85% of the usual minimum wage rate, but it's not okay to pay him nothing.  

I found this same thing. I would not allow my child to work there, and I'd call the state labor department and report the employer.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have to think that he misunderstood--that's an egregious violation of labor laws, and I don't think a big company like Burger King would risk it.

I agree!  

I think he misunderstood.  If not, report them to the labor board in your state. Burger King can be a franchise and individual franchise owners can try some sketchy things sometimes.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have to think that he misunderstood--that's an egregious violation of labor laws, and I don't think a big company like Burger King would risk it.

Agreed. At least I hope so. That's not allowed. In my state you get paid for training. Minimum wage and at-will employment but you get paid. He should absolutely report it to the franchise. Three weeks is a lot. That's not a one-day walk-around "free tour"!

• Like 2

Did they perhaps say it would be three weeks before he got paid? Which could mean he's starting in the middle of a pay period or something? There is no way unpaid training is legal and certainly not for three weeks at a fast food place. I would have him call for clarification BEFORE starting.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, klmama said:

So, it's okay for Burger King to pay him 85% of the usual minimum wage rate for the first 200 hours of on the job training, but it's not okay to pay him nothing.  

8 hours ago, Tap said:

I agree!  

I think he misunderstood.  If not, report them to the labor board in your state. Burger King can be a franchise and individual franchise owners can try some sketchy things sometimes.

He said it is individually owned.

Individually owned doesn't get the business out of paying employees for their work.  Even for an adult, it appears there is a way for the business to request to pay a lower rate for adult learners, but there's NO WAY that lower rate = no pay.  It's highly likely your ds misinterpreted something he heard.  He should ask for clarification.    ETA:  He heard "You won't get paid for the first three weeks," but the manager probably meant "You won't receive a paycheck until three weeks are up."  It's not like mowing a lawn or babysitting and being paid at the end of the day.

• Like 3

He misheard.  He's startin at the beginning of a 2 week pay period.  After that period is over, 2 weeks, the hour totals are sent to a payroll company to do psychecks.  Paycheck is available 1 week later, or 3 weeks after he started.  Most big employers do it this way.  He shound ask when payroll hours are totalled, maybe the 15th and 30th fir biweekly.  Paychecks should be about one week later, like the 7th and 21st.  

• Like 4