Menu

Dutch oven

regentrude

Talk to me about Dutch ovens. I know about Le Creuset. Are there well performing less expensive alternatives, or is this a must?

Needs to have oven safe lid (ie no plastic nob). Want round, 5-7 quarts. Mainly for bread baking, not meat braising ( vegan). (Eta: and soups of course)

Thanks for the hive wisdom. 

I have an enameled cast iron one from Aldi.  I think I got it at the beginning of fall, so maybe it'll be coming up in the special buy rotation again soon.   It stains easily but meh, it's a tool not a display item.

I haven't used it for bread baking though, mostly stews and roasts and caramelizing onions.

• Like 2

If it's primarily for bread baking, have you considered Pampered Chef Stoneware? They make a couple of glazed exterior pieces with lids for oven baking. They are much more reasonable in price.  I am not a consultant but own a lot of stoneware for baking. I also own two Le Creuset's of different sizes. They can't be beat. Le Creuset has seconds in their outlet stores for much more reasonable prices, as well.

• Like 1

We are happy with our Aldi 5 quart cast iron Duch oven.  Its lid knob is oven safe, which is what we wanted as well. They usually have them in the fall for the holidays, so look for them then.

My sil has used her 5 qt. Le Cruset DO, which she purchaed in France, for almost 30 years and is very happy with it.  The Aldi one seems very similar to it, so similar that I wouldn't spend the extra money for the LC brand.

• Like 1

I have the Lodge 7 quart one and I like it. The only downside to it is that it is a little bit of work to maintain. After you wash it, you need to dry it immediately and then wipe it down with oil. Also, it can't take temperature extremes as that will make the season coat on the pan bubble up and you will have to spend a bunch of time scrubbing it off and reseasoning. It does make the most lovely crusty rustic bread.

I have always wanted a Staub but that is not helping you with your price range. TJ Maxx has Le Creuset and Staub on sale in the fall.

I assume you want the Dutch Oven for baking the rustic bread. If you want traditional loaf pans, I really love my Emile Henry glazed stoneware pans I bought on sale at Sur la Table.

I have a Tramontina (walmart) Dutch oven that I’ve been using for almost 10 years. It came with a plastic knob on the lid but I replaced that right away with a metal knob from Home Depot. 

I also have a Le Creuset Dutch oven and I use the Tramontina more, it’s bigger and heavier. 

1 minute ago, mmasc said:

I have this one. I originally purchased it at Sam’s about 7 years ago because America’s Test Kitchen gave it great reviews as an alternative to LC. I’ve been very happy with it and have used it many, many times. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-6-5-Qt-Enameled-Round-Cast-Iron-Dutch-Oven/29114481

Ha! Mine is like that, I bought mine at walmart. ?

• Like 2

I have a LeCrueset that I do love, though I have not baked bread in it (quite intrigued by that, though). I did have a Pampered Chef stoneware baker that I loved, but DH accidentally broke it. Which is why I have the LC now! 

I do have a Lodge cast iron skillet, which is quite good. 

I've had Le Creuset.  I've had Aldi's.  I've also had a stoneware cloche.

Best one by far for bread baking is the preseasoned Lodge I got from Amazon.  Due to the high temperature used to bake the artisan bread, the white interiors of both the previous ones discolored horribly and I never trusted the knobs.  The Le Creuset's pretty blue enamel (mine was blue) chipped.  I believe the interior of the Aldi one pitted.  The cloche was difficult to use and the handle on the lid broke off right away. 

Lodge all the way.  I have  two of them and the preseasoned doesn't rust like my original one does.

I have some artisan bread rising as we I type this.

6 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

I have an enameled cast iron one from Aldi.  I think I got it at the beginning of fall, so maybe it'll be coming up in the special buy rotation again soon.   It stains easily but meh, it's a tool not a display item.

I haven't used it for bread baking though, mostly stews and roasts and caramelizing onions.

I have one of these that is now about 8 yrs old and works well. It is thicker, heavier than a Le Crueset, but it also cost $30, not $250.  I use mine 4-6x a week, though I have never baked bread in it.  

I also have a Lodge one for camping (has legs, so you can put it in the coals) and have baked bread and cakes in it. Works great!

I have 2 dutch ovens - Le Creuset and Allclad. I use both often for bean stews and making many stove top dishes. I also use them as steamers sometime. I have never baked in them. But, they are both oven safe. Le Creuset sells metal knobs.

22 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I have the 7 quart Lodge cast iron Dutch oven but use it mainly for stews. I bought from Target when it was Back to School/Summer sale for about half off MSRP. My kids use the Lodge cast iron skillet for their baking and it has been easy to use for them. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10DOL3-Handles-Pre-Seasoned-7-Quart/dp/B000SOM5XS?th=1

Have the same one. It's a workhorse. I bake bread in it as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I have the 7 quart Lodge cast iron Dutch oven but use it mainly for stews. I bought from Target when it was Back to School/Summer sale for about half off MSRP. My kids use the Lodge cast iron skillet for their baking and it has been easy to use for them. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10DOL3-Handles-Pre-Seasoned-7-Quart/dp/B000SOM5XS?th=1

We use this camping, too. We love ours. 

• Like 1