Menu

My baby blanket

Ginevra

I loom-knitted this baby blanket for my niece, whose first baby is coming soon. Unlike the majority of young moms now, she does not know the baby’s gender in advance, so I used a sweet, mint-colored yarn. I also bought personalized lables from our very own @eternalsummer, whom I have not seen here lately, and who did just have a baby of her own! (I hope she will come post and let all the WTM aunties congratulate her!) 

28F825AF-A2BD-4E10-B5D7-338231048580.jpeg

E8E9FB3F-F4F6-4D17-97C2-77833AFF412C.jpeg

• Like 17

Quill, I have to ask because the crafty side of me can’t figure out how you made that beautiful square blanket in what appears to be one piece on a little round loom like we use for hats.  What’s the secret?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Quill, I have to ask because the crafty side of me can’t figure out how you made that beautiful square blanket in what appears to be one piece on a little round loom like we use for hats.  What’s the secret?

It isn’t made on a round loom. It was knitted on a KB Adjustable 18” loom as a flat panel. It is about 26” wide and knitted in one piece. This is also a smaller gauge loom than the Knifty Knitter hat looms and so it works much better for finer yarns. I will link the type of loom. https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Knitting-Board-All-n-One-18-Inch/dp/B007XX7EL0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527250888&sr=8-1&keywords=Kb+all+in+one+loom

I have also recently discovered that a nice way to make a continuous flat panel is to link together several KB Ajustable hat looms into a wide oval. 

https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Knitting-Board-Hat-Loom/dp/B00NLQO6U0/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1527250988&sr=1-1&keywords=Adjustable+hat+loom

• Like 1

@mumto2 This is my WIP on the Adjustable Hat loom (two looms linked together). This will make a blanket about 38” wide. I have every other peg removed because this yarn is the Bernat Baby Blanket yarn and it is Super Bulky (6).

8CD9E191-E81C-4D6E-83BA-2276596711F1.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Quill said:

@mumto2 This is my WIP on the Adjustable Hat loom (two looms linked together). This will make a blanket about 38” wide. I have every other peg removed because this yarn is the Bernat Baby Blanket yarn and it is Super Bulky (6).

8CD9E191-E81C-4D6E-83BA-2276596711F1.jpeg

Thank you!  I now understand and can’t believe the different looms that are available.  I feel like I have been missing out because the last blanket I looked at off a loom was when my daughter was small and was two layers and a whole bunch of sewing together.  These are beautiful!

• Thanks 1

This is amazing! So many questions.

How long does it take you to make a blanket using the same stitch?

According to your mint blanket, you are making the alphabet. This looks very tricky. How hard was this? And you’re doing it all in one piece? How long does this take?

I want to buy a loom now!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lisa R. said:

This is amazing! So many questions.

How long does it take you to make a blanket using the same stitch?

According to your mint blanket, you are making the alphabet. This looks very tricky. How hard was this? And you’re doing it all in one piece? How long does this take?

I want to buy a loom now!

It’s hard to say with accuracy how many hours, but if it is a simple stitch like on my WIP blanket, probably about 15 hours. For a more complicated stitch like in the Alphabet blanket, probably about 20 hours. The Alphabet blanket is made with all knit or purl stitches but following a pattern. The pattern is in the book Loom Knitting Afghans. I photocopy the pattern and then use a pencil to keep track of my pattern. 

It is not hard to do the Alphabet or another pattern, but it requires much more careful attention. I am choosy about where I am knitting if the pattern is complex because I can’t be talking or watching TV with that. With a simple stitch like garter or all Knit, I can knit while I do other things and still be unlikely to make a mistake. 

If you want to get into loom knitting, look at stuff on Youtube by Loomahat or Good Knit Kisses. I love Isela Phelps and the lady named Kristen from Good Knit. The plastic looms are nice when you are first learning, but I love the finer gauge and adjustable looms once you have some experience. I have not been looming for very long; three years at most.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

What a wonderful gift. The label is so cute as well. 

Do you find loom knitting easier than regular knitting? I can crochet all day long (well almost) but knitting is so much harder for me.

I never got very good at regular needle knitting. It is a big part of why I found loom knitting more appealing. Fixing a mistake is usually easier on the loom. It makes me more willing to try complex stitches because I am less worried about doing it wrong. 

I have a notion to learn crochet; my sister crochets and I love the variety of stitches. But I have a lot of loom projects stretching out into the future, so I don’t have a big motive to work on crochet right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I can't imagine making that on a loom!  It's fabulous!  Makes me want to start a project sharing thread.  Especially now that we can upload directly from a device.  

That would be truly great! I would love to participate in a project sharing thread! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Makes me want to start a project sharing thread.  Especially now that we can upload directly from a device.  

A project thread would be great!  I loved seeing @MargaretinCo (I don't think that worked by leave it in case you actually need to post it) doll clothes a couple of weeks ago and the loom knitting is fascinating.  I suspect a lot of inspiration can be found from our board members. ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Quill said:

I loom-knitted this baby blanket for my niece, whose first baby is coming soon. Unlike the majority of young moms now, she does not know the baby’s gender in advance, so I used a sweet, mint-colored yarn. I also bought personalized lables from our very own @eternalsummer, whom I have not seen here lately, and who did just have a baby of her own! (I hope she will come post and let all the WTM aunties congratulate her!) 

I had to re-read the first sentence a couple of times to figure out that your niece is having a baby.  My only niece was born a few months ago, so my niece is the baby.  :)

Quill, the blanket is beautiful.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

I had to re-read the first sentence a couple of times to figure out that your niece is having a baby.  My only niece was born a few months ago, so my niece is the baby.  ?

Quill, the blanket is beautiful.

I have a lot of nieces and nephews! The eldest are in their 30s. So I have 3 great niece/nephews on my side of the family and 2-going-on-4 greats on DH’s side. 

• Like 1