Menu

Canadians--Talk to me about butter tarts

umsami

Read an article in the NYTimes about butter tarts.  I grew up right across from Ontario, and yet I've never had one.  So, of course, now I need to make them.  

Oh Canadian boardies, share with me your favorite recipe/tips.  

Same here.  Literally, right across the river.  From the road in front of my mom's house one can see Canada.

I've had poutine (a ton), but never even heard of butter tarts until this thread.  Is it regional Canadian?  Or did my family just skip it the gazillion times we've eaten in Canada?  We've been there within the past three weeks... and honestly go often.

I don't care to make them, but I'd love to try them - likely later this week assuming my mom feels up to travel (that part is uncertain since it's a chemo week).

• Like 1

Ok, I couldn't resist the urge.  I googled.  I've seen them practically everywhere now that I know what I'm looking at, but quite honestly they don't sound like they'd be loved by my taste buds (few sweet things are), so I'm probably going to keep passing or maybe buy one for hubby (who loves anything sweet) and just take a nibble so I can fill my brain in on the taste. 

Google does offer several 4 - 5 star ratings on some recipes though.  ;)

• Like 1

Butter tarts have the potential to be great but are often subpar IMO.

I am a firm believer in all things being infinitely better without raisins, so I vote no raisins. 

Having never made them myself, I cannot offer a recipe, but I can say for sure that homemade crust beats the tiny little store bought tart shells hands down.

• Like 2

The many Canandian Snow Birds living in Florida by my grandparents always made them.  I always though they were like pecan pie with out the nasty pecans.  But that is based more on looks than taste.  I have never eaten pecan pie since it was filled with those nasty pecans.  But the filling looked the same.  And they were quite yummy. 

• Like 1

Are butter tarts anything like mince pie? I always pictured mince pie looking like butter tarts. Maybe they are the same thing with different names.  Or do mince pies always have to have meat in them. I'm so confused now. ;)

Well they are both brown sugary base.  But mince pies have raisins and dried fruit in them.

(I know this because I buy them at christmas and every year someone says "what exactly IS that?"  So now I tend to read the ingredients so I can tell them.)

Mince meat pies are different.  Can't help you there.  I remember them also being called suet pudding and being more a bread pudding type thing, but you steam cook it, not bake it.  But I only really remember my Grandma doing it as a kid and it's been 40 years since I saw her not even make it, but serve it.  So I could be completely crazy on this answer. 

• Like 1

Mince/mincemeat is nothing like butter tarts except for the pastry and sugar ;) Really, pecan pie without the pecans is close, if not identical!

And this is the final convincing thought.  I can't stand pecan pie due to how sweet it is - no pecans needed.  Thanks for the description!

Wow, I had no idea that these were especially Canadian and not found everywhere. They seem so normal, like Nanaimo Bars, which are arguably way better than butter tarts. 

I had no idea, either, until I moved to the UK and couldn't find Nanaimo bars or butter tarts - I ended up making them both. My mom did a lot of baking when I was growing up, but for some reason butter tarts were always something we bought at the bakery, not something we made at home.

• Like 1

Tarte au sucre, or suikertaart in Flemish (if Google is to be trusted. My family is Walloon). Never eaten frangipanes, so can't say. *shrug*

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/tarte-au-sucre-brun-304335

Oh, we've had that! It had a crunchy sugar topping, like a crème brûlée.

Frangipane tarts are sold in every grocery store with the packaged cookies. They are little tarts made with almond paste. Very yummy.

• Like 1

Nanaimo bars are better.

I've only ever eaten butter tarts in Canada. (And Nanaimo bars ). I live on the east coast if the US now. I have no idea why both desserts stop at the border. There is( or was) no peppermint ice cream in Canada, either. Some flavors don't seem to make the jump.

• Like 2

Nanaimo bars are better.

I've only ever eaten butter tarts in Canada. (And Nanaimo bars ). I live on the east coast if the US now. I have no idea why both desserts stop at the border. There is( or was) no peppermint ice cream in Canada, either. Some flavors don't seem to make the jump.

I totally agree, Nanaimo bars are far better. Here's a picture. 

Nanaimo-Bars3.jpg

We have mint chocolate chip ice cream all year round, and candy cane ice cream at Christmas.  If you go to the Chinese grocery store you can find some interesting flavours, like bean, or ginger.

Canada has Ketchup potato chips and Dill Pickle chips. I'm not sure those have made the jump successfully across the US border. I wouldn't blame the Americans at all, either. Both flavours are weird, but I loved them dearly as a kid.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I read that quickly and thought you asked for Canadians to tell you about butter ARTS.

Either way it has the word butter involved so it can't be bad.  :drool5:

Yes, it can be really bad if you buy them from the grocery store. They don't use butter then, just lard. They are horrid.

• Like 1

Nanaimo-Bars3.jpg

We have mint chocolate chip ice cream all year round, and candy cane ice cream at Christmas. If you go to the Chinese grocery store you can find some interesting flavours, like bean, or ginger.

Canada has Ketchup potato chips and Dill Pickle chips. I'm not sure those have made the jump successfully across the US border. I wouldn't blame the Americans at all, either. Both flavours are weird, but I loved them dearly as a kid. :laugh:

I used to have to go across the border for Candy Cane ice cream. (From Vancouver). It's been ten years, though.

I'd forgotten about those kinds of potato chips. I can't say I've noticed if they'd made the jump. ( I used to dip my chips in ketchup as a deprived of ketchup flavored potato chip American kid)

• Like 1

They're not just Canadian. They're also found in Indiana and Belgium.

And yes, "pecan pie without the pecans" is a good approximation of what they taste like!

If you read that article the OP linked, it does sound pretty reliable. I can believe that there are some similar pies and tarts, but "butter tarts" are a thing unto themselves.  Kind of like an American Danish may have been inspired by a pastry found in Denmark, but it's NOT the same as the Wienerbrod actually eaten in Denmark. 

• Like 1

The texture isn't quite the same.  They have a lot more air, they are very puffed up, with less crust on the outside.

When I was a kid I would suck on them and they'd go flat almost immediately in the mouth, and then dissolve.

Are you talking about Cheezies or Popcorn Twists? The Cheezies brand cheesies are hard and you can actually light them on fire like a cigarette. There is so much flammable oil in them. 

Do you know what they're called in French? Are they like frangipanes?

My understanding of frangipane is that it contains ground almonds or almond flour. I make a frangipane type filling for my puff pastry Kings Cake. The one I make is nowhere near as sweet as pecan pie. (I've never had a butter tart.)

Random thought. These butter tarts are full of sugar, but named after butter. I make so called sugar cookies that are not overly sweet, but full of butter and taste like butter. ???

Nanaimo-Bars3.jpg

We have mint chocolate chip ice cream all year round, and candy cane ice cream at Christmas. If you go to the Chinese grocery store you can find some interesting flavours, like bean, or ginger.

Canada has Ketchup potato chips and Dill Pickle chips. I'm not sure those have made the jump successfully across the US border. I wouldn't blame the Americans at all, either. Both flavours are weird, but I loved them dearly as a kid. :laugh:

There are dill pickle chips in the US, but the dye used in the ketchup chips isn't allowed here.

I used to bring bags of them to friends when we'd come back to the states to visit. Definitely a love it or hate it flavour. Lol

Are you talking about Cheezies or Popcorn Twists? The Cheezies brand cheesies are hard and you can actually light them on fire like a cigarette. There is so much flammable oil in them. 

I don't think I've ever had a popcorn twist.

The ones we call Cheezies look like this, though usually more orange.  Maybe that is an east coast thing.

If you read that article the OP linked, it does sound pretty reliable.

I did read the article. I read it before it was posted here. I've read many articles on the subject in my quest to replicate the sugar pies of my childhood summers. The recipes don't change significantly from Canada to Belgium to Indiana websites. (Except sometimes the Belgian ones have a yeasted crust, and sometimes the North American ones are made with maple syrup.)

Edited by Tanaqui

I did read the article. I read it before it was posted here. I've read many articles on the subject in my quest to replicate the sugar pies of my childhood summers. The recipes don't change significantly from Canada to Belgium to Indiana websites. (Except sometimes the Belgian ones have a yeasted crust, and sometimes the North American ones are made with maple syrup.)

I am really struggling with this link between pastry from Canada, Indiana and Belgium. Where did this come from, and who has enough knowledge about all 3 places to say that the butter tarts are the same? I have been to all 3 places more than once and I cannot say I have ever eaten a butter tart in all 3. You are amazing.  Is it possible that you are the link? Have you gone to these places and made or brought butter tarts? ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

So Canadians....Lay's Potato Chips tells us that the #1 Canadian potato chip flavour is not ketchup, but this mixture called "All Dressed."

https://www.fritolay.com/snacks/product-page/ruffles/ruffles-all-dressed-flavored-potato-chips

Is that fake?? I like them, but am I liking them under false marketing pretenses?  To me, it tastes like BBQ chips mixed with vinegar, but what do I know.

We don't eat potato chips when we go to Canada, so I can't say what's popular there TBH.

I can say in the US Herrs makes a Ketchup flavor:

http://www.herrs.com/product.php?id=6

and a Dill Pickle Chip:

http://www.herrs.com/products/Chips/CreamyDillPickle.html

Considering I'm not fond of ketchup or dill, I've tried neither.  I love Herrs Sour Cream and Onion, Regular, and BBQ chips though.  ;)

I thought Herrs was a totally local brand (here in PA), but on our trip to Jordan this past fall, we saw them over there in a SMALL corner market too, so apparently not!  I know I can't find them in many places in the US outside of our local region.