Menu

Canadians--Talk to me about butter tarts

umsami

I am really struggling with this link between pastry from Canada, Indiana and Belgium. Where did this come from, and who has enough knowledge about all 3 places to say that the butter tarts are the same? I have been to all 3 places more than once and I cannot say I have ever eaten a butter tart in all 3. You are amazing.  Is it possible that you are the link? Have you gone to these places and made or brought butter tarts? ;)

I haven't eaten them anywhere but Wavre and my own kitchen, but I assume people are not posting fictitious recipes online just to screw with me :)

I suspect the link is "Walloons + French peasants". There's a non-zero history of Belgian immigration to the American Midwest (with significant historical communities in Indiana), Manitoba, and Quebec. But I don't overthink it.

I haven't eaten them anywhere but Wavre and my own kitchen, but I assume people are not posting fictitious recipes online just to screw with me :)

I suspect the link is "Walloons + French peasants". There's a non-zero history of Belgian immigration to the American Midwest (with significant historical communities in Indiana), Manitoba, and Quebec. But I don't overthink it.

I love odd immigration cultural stories. My favourite is the word 'fossick', which is current in Devon/Cornwall in southwest England, and Australia/New Zealand.  Many Cornish miners (including members of my extended family) took their skills overseas:

11 Australia and New Zealand to search for gold or gemstones typically by picking over abandoned workings

chiefly Australia and New Zealand to search about rummage

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fossick

So Canadians....Lay's Potato Chips tells us that the #1 Canadian potato chip flavour is not ketchup, but this mixture called "All Dressed."

https://www.fritolay.com/snacks/product-page/ruffles/ruffles-all-dressed-flavored-potato-chips

Is that fake?? I like them, but am I liking them under false marketing pretenses? To me, it tastes like BBQ chips mixed with vinegar, but what do I know.

Hmm. I would say the most “Canadian†flavour is either poutine or maple bacon. But, most popular? Ketchup, dill pickle, salt and vinegar, probably. Which, when I think about it, it probably what all dressed it, lol.

• Like 1

I love odd immigration cultural stories. My favourite is the word 'fossick', which is current in Devon/Cornwall in southwest England, and Australia/New Zealand.  Many Cornish miners (including members of my extended family) took their skills overseas:

11 Australia and New Zealand to search for gold or gemstones typically by picking over abandoned workings

chiefly Australia and New Zealand to search about rummage

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fossick

We learned about a very geographically specific type of rock called "Pudding stone" located in only a few places in the world. One place is Brune Mines, Ontario. The early miners from England thought it looked like their traditional Christmas Pudding with currents. It's so cool when knowledge from the "Old Country" collide with things from the "New World."

pudding_stone_1.jpg

• Like 1

So Canadians....Lay's Potato Chips tells us that the #1 Canadian potato chip flavour is not ketchup, but this mixture called "All Dressed."

https://www.fritolay.com/snacks/product-page/ruffles/ruffles-all-dressed-flavored-potato-chips

Is that fake?? I like them, but am I liking them under false marketing pretenses?  To me, it tastes like BBQ chips mixed with vinegar, but what do I know.

Yes, a lot of people like these.  I don't - I think your description is accurate.

I don't think they have all the flavours on them, though it might be a mix of a few.

• Like 1

Hmm. I would say the most “Canadian†flavour is either poutine or maple bacon. But, most popular? Ketchup, dill pickle, salt and vinegar, probably. Which, when I think about it, it probably what all dressed it, lol.

We had a lobster flavoured chip around for a while.  I never quite brought myself to try it.  

My favourite is sweet chile and sour cream.

• Like 1