Menu

Anyone else starting to plan a graduation party?

Prairie~Phlox

I'm helping plan our co-op's, if that counts.  I sent info to homeschooldiploma.com last week to make a mockup of our 2018 announcement -- they should have it in the next few days, and then we can order later this month.

My kids aren't big on having a separate individual party.

• Like 1

We're debating about DS22's college graduation. His school is only 90 minutes from most of our family, so he'll probably have a good turn out. We're debating hosting a (catered) lunch at his apartment immediately afterwards or doing something here at home a few days/weeks later. We really want to feed everyone immediately after, but it's going to make for a very crowded apartment! We debated reserving space at a local restaurant but DS prefers everyone being able to move, talk and mingle more.

• Like 1

Yep. We have a date, a location and two friends (twins) to share with. My daughter and her friends do not have much overlap in their friend set, other than each other, so it is likely to be a big party. I would love to hear ideas from families who have done this before. A Mexican(-ish) buffet seems popular here, and we will have a display with pics of each graduate through the years. We will display her t-shirt quilt, which is under professional construction as we speak, and I have a friend making a cake to match the college she is attending. Is there more?

• Like 1

Dang. I gotta do that.

I did think of one aspect - party theme, which clearly needs to be guitar. When DD graduated, I hand-iced a large amount of cookies in her theme and then declared I was never doing that again. Well, I have repeated the hand-iced cookies twice since then, and I do have a guitar-shaped cookie cutter, so...

• Like 1

When our first homeschooled teen graduated, he had a number of public school friends. He wanted to be able to attend their parties. So he schedule his party the weekend before the public school graduation.

So if the public school's graduation was Friday, June 1st, he would've been invited to parties on that Fri, Sat., Sun. and even a few parties the following weekend.

So, we scheduled his party for the weekend before the local high school. 

Dang. I gotta do that.

I did think of one aspect - party theme, which clearly needs to be guitar. When DD graduated, I hand-iced a large amount of cookies in her theme and then declared I was never doing that again. Well, I have repeated the hand-iced cookies twice since then, and I do have a guitar-shaped cookie cutter, so...

You obviously love your daughter more than I love mine.  

• Like 1

Not really, I just have unrealistically high ideals on being The Perfect Host. Those cookies were beautiful.

I was totally thinking the same thing! But my one who has graduated (high School and college) is not a party person. This next one (who is only a junior this year) may be a party person. But here’s hoping that the soccer boys all do a joint graduation party so I can just write a check to my perfect party planning friend.

I was totally thinking the same thing! But my one who has graduated (high School and college) is not a party person. This next one (who is only a junior this year) may be a party person. But here’s hoping that the soccer boys all do a joint graduation party so I can just write a check to my perfect party planning friend.

Ummm, you have a party planner friend? How would your soccer boys feel about adding a swimmer girl to the mix?? She is cute, but bossy. . .. I mean, it would be a year early, but how better to avoid conflicts???

Edited by plansrme

Our DD20 is "graduating" from ps this year (she has special needs and will receive an occupational diploma).  She will return to high school for at least another year to continue to work on some life skills.  Some grandparents will probably travel for her graduation so we will do some sort of small party with family and a few friends.  

What location ideas do yall have?  We could do something small here at our house, but I am wondering if it would be better to do something somewhere...a little more fun?  (And a little easier to get ready????)

Yep. We have a date, a location and two friends (twins) to share with. My daughter and her friends do not have much overlap in their friend set, other than each other, so it is likely to be a big party. I would love to hear ideas from families who have done this before. A Mexican(-ish) buffet seems popular here, and we will have a display with pics of each graduate through the years. We will display her t-shirt quilt, which is under professional construction as we speak, and I have a friend making a cake to match the college she is attending. Is there more?

Remember to put a basket or box on the table in case people take cards. We also like to put wallet photos on the table, in case anyone wants one. We have had some friends make a photo book (like Shutterfly) with lots of blank space for friends to sign or write notes. We plan to have a laptop set up on her table with a slideshow, in addition to the photo board. We all do slide shows for the graduation ceremony, so we'll probably just make a longer version for on the table. Often people display their diplomas (if they make one), plus awards like medals, trophies, etc. from sports, 4-H, fine arts, etc. When my older daughter graduated, she used a couple tutus on the table and set things on and around them, since ballet was her major high school pursuit.

We will have a party—probably with two friends. Graduation weekend is really fun in our homeschool group. We have a meaningful, personalized graduation ceremony (30+ in my daughters graduating class), and then groups of 2–4 friends have various parties over a period of about 10 days. We all go party hopping and hang out at various venues celebrating different graduates.

We have our church reserved for a party, but may end up at one of the grad's homes. Parties at their house are really fun because they have acreage, and the kids shoot baskets, play soccer, etc. (although usually not the grads themselves, as they are often a bit more dressed up and have hostessing duties).

• Like 1

Oh gosh. This gives me a stomach ache. I hate planning and having parties. 

We had a graduation from college party for my oldest--showed the student films he was involved in. It was really fun, TBH. His grandparents (both sets) came, as well as about 2 friends (he wasn't really social). 

We had a high school graduation party for the next one--had a fire outside. It was ok. I don't like the people who came lol...

But dd is a different animal. She may want a really nice party. Hmmm. Well, her grandma will make a nice cake, and I think several friends will come. They are all really nice. I just don't know how to decorate and such. I guess we could set up a few displays of her awards and honors. She has lots of certificates.