Menu

Starting Jiujitsu as an adult...

Free Indeed

Ok more of a 42 year old woman... has anyone done this? My youngest daughter is starting a class, and I will be there anyways because it wouldn't make sense to leave most of the time. I'm in decent health, but I'm older and while right now things are "gentle" as they are just learning- and going through the moves in practice forms- but I also saw part of the advance class and they were really going after it- of course it was a man dominated class at the advance level. They had followed the teacher from the other gym. I think 1 other female. So the idea of grappling with a full grown man is a little awkward. They are a new gym so that may change- but the Sensei was great, experienced, and is coming from another location where he lost his contract on the gym- so not new to teaching.

I know it's month by month, and I can step out anytime- but just wondering if anyone else has started this late in life. Thoughts?

Edited by Free Indeed

Our experience has been that there is amazing etiquette and sportsmanship in bjj. At our gym, everyone is encouraged to work with each other, and only be as aggressive as the other person can handle. Respect and mutual learning are highly emphasized. I agree that it's still awkward to be that close with another man. Google full guard, half guard, and mount positions and consider if you are ok being like that. It's not necessarily a passing thing, either, you can "hang out" in those positions for quite a while. Also, I've only trained a little, and it is a very physical sport. Be prepared to be more sore than you might expect!

ETA: I agree you get over the awkwardness, and you should try it!

Edited by Guinevere
  • Like 3

My son started at age 15 in a local gym and dh started shortly after at age 50.  Dh had done aikido way back in university, so 30+ years earlier.  He loves it, but got injured - through his own stubbornness (no one's fault at the gym) - not enough stretching and poor technique in bjj.

There is also a woman in the gym who is nearly 60, and she started within the last couple of years!  She's an inspiration to everyone, especially during competitions!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I had no idea people would start something this physical "later" in life. I know there are competitions, etc... and I'm not about that, I just want to learn some new skills, stay fit, and even "help" my daughter by being able to practice with her. I do run- slowly but surely- but wasn't sure about starting something with so this much physical contact.

I am all about fitness and I was in martial arts for 13 years, achieving my 3rd degree black belt at age 42. I retired because there are just too many injuries for older adults (40+). I'm not the only 40+ adult who was getting injured a lot. It is very physically demanding in ways that many other physically activities are not. You could certainly try it for a month or two and see how you like it and how your body reacts. You may find it just fine for you. I was doing quite demanding movements in my 40s because of the level I was at. It may be quite different for a beginner.

• Like 1

My 16 year old attends a BJJ/MMA gym that has a lot of middle aged women ;) I am not one of them (I can injure myself walking to the bathroom ... full contact martial arts is not a good choice for me lol) one of them just won her first cage match. I think she's only mid-to-late 30s and is just recently a blue belt so she's been at it about a year less than two... She posted about how she lost like 30 lbs in the time she's been doing BJJ so I am going to assume she was not in top form going in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My daughter boxes, but the gym is primarily for BJJ. Several moms (35-50) have joined the BJJ side and LOVE it. It's a great physical workout and (this part surprised me) they tell me it is also an excellent MENTAL workout. Still, I haven't gathered the nerve or interest to join in myself. 

Women at this gym cycle in and out more frequently than men do. What I've noticed is that sometimes females, especially the  moms, will be paired with the newer young males (think late teens, early 20s) who are more scrappy and inexperienced. They seem to be a good fit with those moms who are getting back into the swing of things athletically. My friend's son is a wiry 20 year old and he's usually partnered up with a mom friend who is 40 and about 20 lbs overweight. She's strong, but not so quick; he's quick, but not so strong. They challenge each other enough to keep it productive. 

I think you should totally do it, and let the coach know of any concerns you might have :) enjoy it!

• Like 1

I did HapKiDo for a semester for school. I was 49. We only made it through white belt stuff, so no real sparring. The hardest problem I had was kicks, I really needed more stretching time. We were also working out barefoot on a gym floor with no mats, and I twisted my ankle one week and after that I wore shoes. I enjoyed the class though, the instructor was older than me, so very understanding of my few limitations. 

I started karate when I was 32 and love it! I don’t have my black belt yet but am getting close to an apprentice black belt. I was hesitant at first but my DH kept insisting that it made more sense to join the class than just watch the kids from the sidelines. Now I go more than the rest of my family. I don’t care to try BJJ. Rolling with guys would make me uncomfortable. Too much contact for me but I like free sparring in karate. I have a friend who started with karate and switched to BJJ. She really likes it. I think you should go for it!

• Like 1

I did jujitsu in college.  My kids take TKD at a MMA dojo and I do kick-boxing there currently.  I was looking into doing one of their other classes, starting with jujitsu because it's what I did before.   

I don't think I can do it at this point.  A lot of the moves would be hard for me with bad knees.  I'm thinking something with more kicks/punches and less grappling/throws would be better for me at this point.  I'm 48 years old and not in great shape.

ETA:  I definitely think it's never too late to start something new.  Just pointing out that different martial arts have different emphasis, and it may make a difference.

I love the idea of sword fighting mentioned above.  I looked for that around here too but only found foil fencing.

Edited by Where's Toto?

I started MMA at 36 and LOVED it.  I absolutely say go for it!  It was one of the best things I did for myself both physically and mentally.

Having said that, I am now 10 weeks out from hip surgery #3 due to martial arts.  While there were several adults at our school starting out, the instructors were not always well educated in changes/challenges for older adults.  Example: ALL people can head kick.  Uh, nope.  I have FAI and age related hip issues and ended up wth torn cartilage and three surgeries to repair damage.   SO much depends on the instructor's experience and education working with less typical students.  

I would LOVE to take up bjj, but with hip issues it just isn't in the cards for me anymore.  It was SO exciting and fun to learn something new and challenge myself and to get to share the experience with my kids.  If I found a place where I could train within the limits I have, I would do it again in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

I love the idea of sword fighting mentioned above.  I looked for that around here too but only found foil fencing.

But you could start with fencing. I *love* fencing! I was really disappointed when I moved to Texas and there were no fencing classes nearby.