Menu

Dss16

Scarlett

The doctor upped his blood pressure med a month  ago and had dss16  in for a BP check today.  First it was 140/84.  Then 15 minutes later it was 130/78.  Weight at 298 Doc wasn't there to give feedback on the BP....I don't know if he will think that is ok or if he will increase meds again.  

The weight is a problem.  I have no idea what to suggest next.  I will let dh deal with him.  I have resorted to keeping my snacks at work just so they don't all disappear in 3 days.  I had a bag of granola in the cabinet that I use with yogurt.  1 TBLE for a 1/2 cup of yogurt, just for some crunch.  Small box will last me weeks.  It was gone in 3 days.  Same with a breakfast bar I bought for ds17...He got one out of the box....dss17 ate the rest.  I bought a box today and put in ds17's room.  I don't know what else to do....I never thought I would have to live with hiding food.

Edited to correct weight.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

I would not hide food, I would just not buy food that is a temptation for him to overeat.  I would not keep snack food or easy carbs in the house.  Consider it similar to having a kid who is an alcoholic, or who is allergic to eggs, dairy, peanuts, and fish, say, but is not old enough/self-controlled enough to keep from eating them.  If the kid were unable to control himself and having the things in the house were a genuine health concern, as this is, you would just not buy them, right?  I wouldn't.

• Like 10

Some people eat granola in a bowl with milk on it. Maybe he ate it like that, which would explain why it was gone quickly. You eat it a tablespoon at a time but eating it like cereal is different. 

Do you have a blood pressure monitor for home use?  I take mine at home regularly so I know what it usually is. I'm one of those who gets anxious at the doctor's office and my blood pressure numbers go up there. 

Was his BP number about what it was when the doc put him on BP meds or has it come down? Is he exercising? You mentioned his weight but is that more than at the last doc visit? The same? 

I feel for you, but I also feel for your dss. He's struggling also. 

• Like 3

I went several months trying my best to keep nothing in the house that would 'tempt' him.  Trouble is EVERYTHING tempts him.  I bought some mixed nuts which should have been a nice snack for him.  And me.  I went looking for them and they were all gone. 15 servings in 5 days.  

My mom gave us some delicious soup....Zuppa like soup like Olive Garden serves.  It was so good and rich.  The next day I discovered the sour cream I had bought the day before had a huge scoop out of it.  I wondered if it had been opened in the store!  Nope, dss17 added it to his bowl of soup the night before.  

I had not made homemade bread for months....made some the other night...he had almost the whole loaf.  I made some Taco soup...he ate 4/5ths of it in 2 days....

Some people eat granola in a bowl with milk on it. Maybe he ate it like that, which would explain why it was gone quickly. You eat it a tablespoon at a time but eating it like cereal is different. 

Do you have a blood pressure monitor for home use?  I take mine at home regularly so I know what it usually is. I'm one of those who gets anxious at the doctor's office and my blood pressure numbers go up there. 

Was his BP number about what it was when the doc put him on BP meds or has it come down? Is he exercising? You mentioned his weight but is that more than at the last doc visit? The same? 

I feel for you, but I also feel for your dss. He's struggling also. 

We do have a good home monitor.  It has been borderline like that the whole month.  

I don't know how he is eating the granola.  I just know it disappears.

• Like 1

We were out of town all weekend.  I had a menu and grocery list ready to go.....and planned to take him to the doctor and then to the grocery store with me. But in the meantime there was no food in the house and I thought 'well, I will take him out and we will get something good like a salad or some such'.  When he got in from school at 11 I told him this plan.  He says, 'well, I ate at school.  I know it was bad for me but....'  So I said, 'ok, well I will just stop and grab something for myself quick.' 

I go through Taco Bell.  I don't ask him if he wants anything because --support....but he speaks up and orders something.  It was snackish....but he needs NOTHING if he just ate at school.

I just don't know how to act or what to say.  I just feel more and more annoyed and frustrated and irritated.

nevermind, this thread always goes the same way :)  it's all been said before, no need for me to rehash again 

I don't know what you are saying and deleting, but I am sure you think you have all the answers on how to help a kid who is 100 lbs overweight and does nothing to help himself. 

He isn't the only person in the house.  I work about 25 hours a week, dh works 45 to 50 hours a week...ds works 10 hours a week..I don't have the time to babysit him and make sure he only eats the foods he is suppose to eat in the quantities he is suppose to eat.

• Like 3

Does he want to lose weight?

If so, the keto diet may work.  He needs to limit his carbs to 20-30/day.  After a week or so, his hunger should drop a bunch.  There are some keto kids groups on Facebook where he can see other teens who've had remarkable success.

• Like 3

If so, the keto diet may work.  He needs to limit his carbs to 20-30/day.  After a week or so, his hunger should drop a bunch.  There are some keto kids groups on Facebook where he can see other teens who've had remarkable success.

He says he does.  He did WW and lost 15 pounds in like 3 week.  He didn't want to keep doing that though.  He did the low carb the doc prescribed and lost those same 15 pounds in 3 weeks.  When he watches what he eats he can lose the weight.

The doctor told him to limit carbs to 50 per day.  Severely restrict sugar and caffeine...high protein, medium fat......

• Like 1

Could you consult his doctor about trying a low-carb diet? Part of the problem sounds like he likes to eat in high quantity. It can take time to shrink the stomach and work someone down to appropriate portion sizes. In the meantime if he i s eating low carb then quantity won't be a problem. In my personal experience (with my husband- who ate large quantities once upon a time) it didn't matter how many calories as long as they weren't carbs.

Get your other son a box or cabinet for keeping any extra carbs he needs in his room. It would be nice if carb foods were out of sight until he breaks through the cravings cycle. 

Even if you don't follow atkins and choose a more moderate approach (I for one have never limited vegetables even "higher" carb ones) but whatever you choose, have those foods available. I would carry carb balance soft tortillas with me (6 net carbs) cut into fourths and would replace a bun with it to make it easier to eat a chicken sandwich or burger on the go. With all the little tricks like zucchini noodles (cut with a veggetti) in place of pasta, he won't feel too deprived.

ETA: We posted at the same time. Good on the low carb. He probably just needs a little more guidance on how to get into a low carb lifestyle. It is not easy even for adults. Get him and your dh into the kitchen to pre-package snacks that he can eat (like nuts etc) and show him/help him pre-prep some meals to freeze and cut veggies and fruit. Emphasize what he can have. Prep soups with him, let him add some sour cream (no big deal-low carb!) If you slice mozzarella cheese sticks thin and microwave them, they become like crackers.

When he can have some crunchies and desserts he will be more willing to stick with it. Searchout and print some recipes for low carb/gluten free  mug cake. We prepack individual serving baggies of these ingrediants. Then you just have to add an egg, butter, and vanilla and microwave 1 minute. He can add real cream and have a 4 carb dessert. Get some atkins snack bars. Again emphasize what he can have and he won't feel so deprived. It is hard to stick with something when you feel deorived from everything you love.

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 5

Could you consult his doctor about trying a low-carb diet? Part of the problem sounds like he likes to eat in high quantity. It can take time to shrink the stomach and work someone down to appropriate portion sizes. In the meantime if he i s eating low carb then quantity won't be a problem. In my personal experience (with my husband- who ate large quantities once upon a time) it didn't matter how many calories as long as they weren't carbs.

Get your other son a box or cabinet for keeping any extra carbs he needs in his room. It would be nice if carb foods were out of sight until he breaks through the cravings cycle. 

Even if you don't follow atkins and choose a more moderate approach (I for one have never limited vegetables even "higher" carb ones) but whatever you choose, have those foods available. I would carry carb balance soft tortillas with me (6 net carbs) cut into fourths and would replace a bun with it to make it easier to eat a chicken sandwich or burger on the go. With all the little tricks like zucchini noodles (cut with a veggetti) in place of pasta, he won't feel too deprived.

I do most of those things for him.  Doctor gave him a low carb diet to follow.

There is a girl his age in our congregation who has lost about 25 pounds doing the Keto.  I know it works.

• Like 1

We were out of town all weekend.  I had a menu and grocery list ready to go.....and planned to take him to the doctor and then to the grocery store with me. But in the meantime there was no food in the house and I thought 'well, I will take him out and we will get something good like a salad or some such'.  When he got in from school at 11 I told him this plan.  He says, 'well, I ate at school.  I know it was bad for me but....'  So I said, 'ok, well I will just stop and grab something for myself quick.' 

I go through Taco Bell.  I don't ask him if he wants anything because --support....but he speaks up and orders something.  It was snackish....but he needs NOTHING if he just ate at school.

I just don't know how to act or what to say.  I just feel more and more annoyed and frustrated and irritated.

I'm not trying to drag you, but for a kid who really likes to eat, it's kind of torture to smell Taco Bell. It checks all the buttons...cheesy, carby, meaty....

Willpower is a lot harder to conquer for some people and I think your dss falls into that category. Sometimes it sounds like you think he wants to be overweight and that's not it at all. Many of us know WHAT we should do but still struggle to stay on task.  Hey, I should stay offline or get my nose out of a book when I have chores to do. I should be at the gym every morning. I should call my dad more often.  But actually doing those things takes more discipline. 

• Like 26

I’d definitely lock up the snacks. What about a bowl of low cal soup before supper each night? Filling and low cal so it might help him eat less and be less likely to get hungry later on.

That is a great practical idea.  I am going to go buy him some and make that suggestion.

I'm not trying to drag you, but for a kid who really likes to eat, it's kind of torture to smell Taco Bell. It checks all the buttons...cheesy, carby, meaty....

Willpower is a lot harder to conquer for some people and I think your dss falls into that category. Sometimes it sounds like you think he wants to be overweight and that's not it at all. Many of us know WHAT we should do but still struggle to stay on task.  Hey, I should stay offline or get my nose out of a book when I have chores to do. I should be at the gym every morning. I should call my dad more often.  But actually doing those things takes more discipline. 

Right.  I love Taco Bell, and I know it is terrible for me.  I would not have taken him here if I thought I was feeding him.  I didn't want to go to a sit down meal and order for just myself either though.  I mean, what was I suppose to do?  

If I'm remembering correctly, the older ds is underweight so OP would like to have food to meet his needs as well.

I know a family that had two underweight sons and 1 son who was significantly (300lbs) overweight. They locked up food that belongs to the underweight boys. The underweight boys had a key.

Older child is not underweight. Scarlett doesn't want to deprive him of the food he likes just because SS shouldn't have it. 

• Like 8

I went several months trying my best to keep nothing in the house that would 'tempt' him.  Trouble is EVERYTHING tempts him.  I bought some mixed nuts which should have been a nice snack for him.  And me.  I went looking for them and they were all gone. 15 servings in 5 days.  

My mom gave us some delicious soup....Zuppa like soup like Olive Garden serves.  It was so good and rich.  The next day I discovered the sour cream I had bought the day before had a huge scoop out of it.  I wondered if it had been opened in the store!  Nope, dss17 added it to his bowl of soup the night before.  

I had not made homemade bread for months....made some the other night...he had almost the whole loaf.  I made some Taco soup...he ate 4/5ths of it in 2 days....

Honestly? That's not that unusual for teenagers. 

• Like 13

My ds16 was morbidly obese for years. It was so aggravating because the pediatrician was always telling me to "just give it time" every time I'd mention it at well check ups. He was never sick and all his labs looked great, so the doctor wasn't worried. He kept saying that he'd hit a growth spurt and "even out" (he was short for a long time).

Well, his growth spurt came, and he grew taller, but also proportionately wider/rounder as well. I finally took him to a different pediatrician and was validated in my concern, but ds couldn't/wouldn't stick to the doctor's suggestions and diet.

Six months ago, we finally set him up with a personal trainer. We are beyond overjoyed with the success he has had with this. His entire demeanor has changed in positive ways that we honestly had not even seen had previously been negative.

He plays football and worked out everyday under a coach's supervision, so I didn't think there was any benefit to a personal trainer. But the mentorship and accountability has made all the difference in the world.

We went though the medical fitness center associated with a teaching hospital in our neighboring town (which has been kinda a pain getting there everyday--but still worth it), but the trainer has said that most all fitness centers these days have personal trainers that are either employees of the facility or they work to set up members with outside trainers that can meet you at your facility.

• Like 18

I think you need to find a way where you are a cheerleader - not the coach, food police, or bad guy. As others have suggested - maybe a therapist, doctor, nutritionist, etc under dad's supervision. You can't make him lose weight - or want to. You just can't. He has to want to do it. I know because I've been the overweight one. WW works because I work it and i want to. I think it is an addiction and I'd approach it as one.

• Like 15

If it’s a true food addiction, or even that he simply physically doesn’t have an “off†switch, it’s going to require the support of every single person who lives in the house.

You don’t have food present that he can’t eat, even if everyone else likes it.

You don’t eat Taco Bell when he’s in the car, because the sights/sounds/smells are going to trigger the feeling of hunger. It’s akin to stopping quick at a liquor store with a recovering alcoholic.

You work with the therapist as a family. He gets therapy, the family gets therapy how to support him.

There are no easy answers, and it requires a huge lifestyle change. Unlike alcohol, one still needs food to survive. Food addiction is rough and therapy is a must, as is complete 100% support and help from everyone in the same household.

• Like 29

My only suggestion is that he may better helped by a food addiction therapist. This sounds like a food addiction to me. If it is, then he needs a ton of therapeutic support in order to conquer it, eating plans won't do it alone.

^^^I agree. He sounds like he needs supervised medical weight loss and counseling. More than WW or just a diet/exercise plan can provide.

• Like 5

Right.  I love Taco Bell, and I know it is terrible for me.  I would not have taken him here if I thought I was feeding him.  I didn't want to go to a sit down meal and order for just myself either though.  I mean, what was I suppose to do?  

Taco Bell was seriously your only option? 

Grab something quick from home before leaving the house. (sandwich, granola bar, fruit, yogurt)

Get something for yourself at the store while shopping. (sandwich, granola bar, fruit, crackers)

When he chimes in with a snack at the drive-through, you say, (to Taco Bell) "No, we don't want that last item". To your child, "Hon, you ate at school. You can have something at home if you're still hungry."

You are making this way harder than it needs to be. 

• Like 22

The doctor upped his blood pressure med a month  ago and had dss16  in for a BP check today.  First it was 140/84.  Then 15 minutes later it was 130/78.  Weight at 298 Doc wasn't there to give feedback on the BP....I don't know if he will think that is ok or if he will increase meds again.  

The weight is a problem.  I have no idea what to suggest next.  I will let dh deal with him.  I have resorted to keeping my snacks at work just so they don't all disappear in 3 days.  I had a bag of granola in the cabinet that I use with yogurt.  1 TBLE for a 1/2 cup of yogurt, just for some crunch.  Small box will last me weeks.  It was gone in 3 days.  Same with a breakfast bar I bought for ds17...He got one out of the box....dss17 ate the rest.  I bought a box today and put in ds17's room.  I don't know what else to do....I never thought I would have to live with hiding food.

Edited to correct weight.

He is part of your family. He is your child (yes, I know this is your SS).

Yes, you may have to change what foods you will keep in the house - even if you like it, even if your other son likes it. Yes, you may feel deprived - see above.

• Like 16

He is part of your family. He is your child (yes, I know this is your SS).

Yes, you may have to change what foods you will keep in the house - even if you like it, even if your other son likes it. Yes, you may feel deprived - see above.

Did you see the part where it doesn't matter what food it is?  He eats it all.  I cant' take all the food out of the house.

• Like 2

Did you see the part where it doesn't matter what food it is?  He eats it all.  I cant' take all the food out of the house.

Yes, I did. He is a teenage boy. Most of them eat a lot. You aren't going to stop that happening. You *can* provide foods that are going to do a better job of nourishing his body and helping him feel full. 

• Like 10

Yes, I did. He is a teenage boy. Most of them eat a lot. You aren't going to stop that happening. You *can* provide foods that are going to do a better job of nourishing his body and helping him feel full. 

I provide PLENTY of those kinds of foods.  He eats them all and then eats everything else in the house.

• Like 1

Taco Bell was seriously your only option? 

Grab something quick from home before leaving the house. (sandwich, granola bar, fruit, yogurt)

Get something for yourself at the store while shopping. (sandwich, granola bar, fruit, crackers)

When he chimes in with a snack at the drive-through, you say, (to Taco Bell) "No, we don't want that last item". To your child, "Hon, you ate at school. You can have something at home if you're still hungry."

You are making this way harder than it needs to be. 

There was no food in the house and we didn't go to the store until after the doctor appointment.  Do you think I am stupid?

I think I should  have told him no at Taco Bell.  I mean, I WANTED to....but it feels mean.  I have never had to deal with this.  I have never lived with anyone who is even one pound overweight.

• Like 1

If it’s a true food addiction, or even that he simply physically doesn’t have an “off†switch, it’s going to require the support of every single person who lives in the house.

You don’t have food present that he can’t eat, even if everyone else likes it.

You don’t eat Taco Bell when he’s in the car, because the sights/sounds/smells are going to trigger the feeling of hunger. It’s akin to stopping quick at a liquor store with a recovering alcoholic.

You work with the therapist as a family. He gets therapy, the family gets therapy how to support him.

There are no easy answers, and it requires a huge lifestyle change. Unlike alcohol, one still needs food to survive. Food addiction is rough and therapy is a must, as is complete 100% support and help from everyone in the same household.

I don't know how one determines if it is a food addiction.  

You take him to specialists who deal with this stuff. You find counselors, nutritionists, doctors, and trainers who can help your dss. He needs help and you and your dh aren’t getting it for him. This is not a character flaw or a lack of willpower issue. He is ill. Something is going wrong with his body, his mind or both. If he were visibly sick would you tell him to just get better? Or would you seek treatment until you found the right cure?

• Like 18

A therapist, at least, that is how the person I lived with was diagnosed.

It’s hard to really have any idea though, because the amounts you list are perfectly normal for teenage boys to eat. Obviously I haven’t raised teenage boys(yet) but I worked for a while in a group home for teenage boys. Very few were overweight, but it was nothing for a single boy tto eat an entire box of cereal for breakfast and half a lasagna at night. Even if they’d eaten two hours previously at school, we always had large and healthy snacks ready when they got home—because they’d be starving. It was really like living with a bunch of Hobbits, because they’d eat six or seven full meals a day. And still be dying of hunger.

So I guess I’m not sure if your stepson has an actual food addiction, or if he’s a perfectly normal always starving teenage boy who also has a slow metabolism.

Edited by MedicMom
  • Like 17

It’s hard to really have any idea though, because the amounts you list are perfectly normal for teenage boys to eat. Obviously I haven’t raised teenage boys(yet) but I worked for a while in a group home for teenage boys. Very few were overweight, but it was nothing for a single boy tto eat an entire box of cereal for breakfast and half a lasagna at night. Even if they’d eaten two hours previously at school, we always had large and healthy snacks ready when they got home—because they’d be starving.

So I guess I’m not sure if your stepson has an actual food addiction, or if he’s a perfectly normal always starving teenage boy who also has a slow metabolism.

He eats a lot more than my ds. 

And my ds eats a lot.  When he eats.  He often goes for long periods of time and forgets to eat.  Dss never forgets to eat.

You take him to specialists who deal with this stuff. You find counselors, nutritionists, doctors, and trainers who can help your dss. He needs help and you and your dh aren’t getting it for him. This is not a character flaw or a lack of willpower issue. He is ill. Something is going wrong with his body, his mind or both. If he were visibly sick would you tell him to just get better? Or would you seek treatment until you found the right cure?

He has only lived with us for less than 1 1/2 years.  We are doing about 10 times more than his bio mom did.  We are doing the best we can with what we have to work with....money, insurance, available services.  I do think we need a conversation with the doctor (who wasn't in today) about what to do next.  

• Like 1

It’s hard to really have any idea though, because the amounts you list are perfectly normal for teenage boys to eat. Obviously I haven’t raised teenage boys(yet) but I worked for a while in a group home for teenage boys. Very few were overweight, but it was nothing for a single boy tto eat an entire box of cereal for breakfast and half a lasagna at night. Even if they’d eaten two hours previously at school, we always had large and healthy snacks ready when they got home—because they’d be starving. It was really like living with a bunch of Hobbits, because they’d eat six or seven full meals a day. And still be dying of hunger.

Slow metabolism? 

I see the difference between him and ds17.  Ds works and moves quickly and dss sits and watches netflix and moves like a sloth.  

He eats a lot more than my ds.

And my ds eats a lot. When he eats. He often goes for long periods of time and forgets to eat. Dss never forgets to eat.

To be truthful, a teenage boy forgetting to eat is very unusual. I’ve never met a teenage boy who forgot to eat. Ever. I did in college, but I was a small female and busy. All the guys I knew, even then, were spending a great deal of their time eating. It seems to level itself out around age 25. Even my husband, who was never overweight, spent most of his teenage and early adult years foraging for food. My first memory of him actually is finding him in my dorm room at college(his sister was my roommate) eating all my snack food.

• Like 13

There was no food in the house and we didn't go to the store until after the doctor appointment.  Do you think I am stupid?

I think I should  have told him no at Taco Bell.  I mean, I WANTED to....but it feels mean.  I have never had to deal with this.  I have never lived with anyone who is even one pound overweight.

No, I don't think you're stupid. I think you are overcomplicating things.

Have you never had to skip a meal due to parenting duties? At least weekly, I am not able to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner when I would like to because of parenting. I can't be the only one.

And you've never lived with anyone who is even one lb overweight? Ummm, OK. This sounds really traumatic for you.

• Like 13

No program will work unless he wants it. Until he is really, you are just spinning your wheels.

This is what I told him today.  I said if you go on line you will read about a million ways to lose weight.  And one person will say, 'oh that didn't work for me and this works.'   But the bottom line is you have to figure out what works for YOU and then do it.  I can't tell you how to go about this.  I can buy you good foods and give you info and take you to the doctor..but YOU have to figure out what works and how to make it work for you.